Platonic Pairings

bethany81707

In the great wars of shipping that rages every fandom, one question continues to elude almost everyone: 'why can't we stay as friends?'. So I'm ready to make room for it: what's your favourite platonic pairing in the series?

For me, it's gotta be Duessel/Amelia. It shows the real strength of Duessel's character in his devotion to helping his country of Grado, and the A Support always leaves me all emotional. Really, the paired ending is just a bonus.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erk/Serra for me. I mean, they do stay friends? I don't remember well.

Or Vaida/Heath. In fact I liked a lot of this "platonic" supports. Can't choose a favorite.

Edited by Ycine
Indecisive

ROY AND WOLT

IT'S THE ONLY ANSWER

Besides that, Fae/Idoun is adorable, Micaiah/Sothe, Gwendolyn/Lilina, Wolt/Sue, Rebecca/Nino (I'd pair them romantically if it didn't deprive Elibe of three characters I like), and probably many others I'm forgetting.  

Gonzalez/Fae would be cute to see, since Fae probably wouldn't judge Gonzalez for his appearance.  

Actually can I just say Fae/Everyone ever.

Raven and Lucius pls don't gay

Makes me sad that they may be dead by Sealed Sword but a lot of Blazing Sword characters have unfortunate fates.

Sothe/Micaiah have a good relationship, even if it does take a turn for romantic by the epilogue.

I like one-sided Kent x Lyn, so I guess that's a platonic relationship I dig. :P

Also, Basilio and Flavia. They're amusing. lol

I think I can count Stefan x Soren as well. I think it'd be very good for Soren if he lived with Stefan in the Branded community instead of being attached to Ike all the time. Soren would find more people that would accept him and care for him and understand his problems. The mercenaries might care for him, but they don't truly know what he's been through or what goes on in his head. Other Branded would understand much better.

Edited by Anacybele

All lord and best friend pairings (Marth/Merric, Sigurd/Quan/Eldigan, Leif/Asbel, Roy/Wolt, Eliwood/Hector, Chrom/Vaike) are some I love. It's nice seeing the lord have a friend that is not a relative or is friends until, bam, marriage (Even though Quan and Sigurd are kind of related cause Quan married Ethlyn but eh).

As for some other ones, Tiki/Bantu, Erinys/Sylvia, Seliph/Leif/also kind of Ares, Lilina/Gwendolyn, Fae/Iduon, Hector/Nils, Duessel/Amelia, Ike/Elincia and Soren/Stefan.

I have no idea why Tiki and Nowi didn't get a support in Awakening. I guess it's better they didn't though since the DLC pseudo support was better written than anything they could likely have made during the full fame.

Keep Ike/Soren platonic for me please. I can appreciate the strength of their bond without any romance added in, thanks.

Ike/Elincia being platonic is good for me too. Any pairings with Ike being platonic is the way to go for me, since I see him as aromantic/asexual, not to mention Elincia and Geoffrey are meant for each other.

I preferred Sothe/Micaiah to stay platonic, stupid pesky already-maxed out support, and the fact that you have to legitimately try in RD not to pair them up. Besides, Sothe's clearly got a thing for Ike. :P:

Haar/Jill! Keep it platonic please, for reasons of age gap and the fact that I much prefer Haar as Jill's mentor/older brother figure than them as a couple.

Eirika/Ephraim, but that one's obvious.

Any royal x Corrin pairings in Fates gotta stay platonic for me, just due to the skeeviness factor in all of it. Give me adorable siblings being adorable, and that's it, please.

Eliwood with the other two lords should stay platonic as well, since Eliwood's heart belongs to Ninian (fight me if you disagree. jk, lol...mostly.)

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I have no idea why Tiki and Nowi didn't get a support in Awakening. I guess it's better they didn't though since the DLC pseudo support was better written than anything they could likely have made during the full fame.

Welll.. There is kind of the fact that it's never explained how Nowi, who is probably a Divine Dragon, is able to transform when the backstory of the Archanea games has Tiki as the last transforming Divine Dragon. That's what I was waiting for the whole time.

57 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I think I can count Stefan x Soren as well. I think it'd be very good for Soren if he lived with Stefan in the Branded community instead of being attached to Ike all the time. Soren would find more people that would accept him and care for him and understand his problems. The mercenaries might care for him, but they don't truly know what he's been through or what goes on in his head. Other Branded would understand much better.

Yeah, I wish we had seen more of Stefan's hidden Branded village in general. Seems interesting...but too bad it's smack in the mid like how we could have seen more of Hatari and the wolf laguz.

Too bad Stefan's approach was a bit creepy and Soren is so closed-off. Haha.

3 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Yeah, I wish we had seen more of Stefan's hidden Branded village in general. Seems interesting...but too bad it's smack in the mid like how we could have seen more of Hatari and the wolf laguz.

Too bad Stefan's approach was a bit creepy and Soren is so closed-off. Haha.

Yeah, I know, right?

I also prefer Ike/Soren to be strictly platonic. I forgot to mention Geoffrey/Elincia too. I see them more as siblings than as lovers, especially from Elincia's point of view. But I'm also fine with platonic Ike/Elincia and Geoffrey/Elincia being more a political marriage than romantic.

Edited by Anacybele

I'd argue that we can have no idea whether Ike/Soren goes beyond platonic or not. Though I like to think it is platonic.

Soren is socially awkward. He is antisocial, but without having gained the skills to be social- Stefan is antisocial while having social skills from normal interactions with his fellow branded in their hidden village. It sounds like the old woman and then the old man who raised Soren didn't have him interact with anyone else. 

Add to this that Ike and Greil showed Soren the first act of kindness he ever knew, an act that saved him from dying of starvation. Combine this with his Branded status keeping him from getting close to anyone, which Ike shrugs off as nothing. Soren bawling in Ike's arms twice (the first time being the first time he reveals to Ike that he saved him) is thus explicable as someone who rarely expresses their emotions and doesn't know how to do so normally doing so in the arms of his savior. The emotional outburst is not necessarily romantic.

In RD, Soren has gained some social skills as Ike and Titania comment, and as is shown is the Silver Card convo with Aimee, but he is still not quite socially normal. Ike is still his only friend, and will never stop being his savior even if he gets other friends.

Now Ike/Ranulf on the other hand... Maybe. But it doesn't have to be (Kyza and Lyre hope not). All I can say is that whoever Ranulf marries, he wants kids- see the Amy conversation without Calill in the Hawk Army.

Yeah, I think Ranulf would be a good daddy because of that Amy conversation! ^^

But I could never decide whether I liked him better with Lethe or Lyre. Lyre is the one who has a crush on him while Lethe doesn't seem to care much about romance, but Ranulf and Lethe also seem to be somewhat closer to one another. And both ideas just seem appealing!

So, I ended up writing him with an OC, and they get twin boys (who will drive their father up a wall at times like Kyza and Lyre did lol). I theorize that laguz are more likely to have multiple babies at once than beorc due to their animal characteristics. Felines, canines, etc. most often have two or more cubs, puppies, kittens, etc. at once. However, since laguz are also still partially human, their rate of twins, triplets, etc. is not quite as high as normal felines and canines.

Edited by Anacybele

I would say one of my favorite platonic endings is Forde/Kyle I just really like the friendship they have and how even though they are very different they stay best friends.  

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I think Ranulf would be a good daddy because of that Amy conversation! ^^

But I could never decide whether I liked him better with Lethe or Lyre. Lyre is the one who has a crush on him while Lethe doesn't seem to care much about romance, but Ranulf and Lethe also seem to be somewhat closer to one another. And both ideas just seem appealing!

So, I ended up writing him with an OC, and they get twin boys (who will drive their father up a wall at times like Kyza and Lyre did lol). I theorize that laguz are more likely to have multiple babies at once than beorc due to their animal characteristics. Felines, canines, etc. most often have two or more cubs, puppies, kittens, etc. at once. However, since laguz are also still partially human, their rate of twins, triplets, etc. is not quite as high as normal felines and canines.

Gotta agree with you on both counts.  The beast tribe ladies that were introduced don't seem like his type, so I'd much rather he have platonic relationships will all of them.  I think he'd gravitate towards a girl who was both kind and witty.

11 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

I knew before clicking that this thread would be "romantic pairs I don't like" 

Dude, this is the second time in less than an hour I'm gonna get on your case. Either contribute to the discussion or keep it to yourself.

The third time will be a suspension.

Edited by eclipse

7 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Gotta agree with you on both counts.  The beast tribe ladies that were introduced don't seem like his type, so I'd much rather he have platonic relationships will all of them.  I think he'd gravitate towards a girl who was both kind and witty.

Yeah, I kinda think Ranulf could do a little better myself anyway. I gave him a cat girl who's shy, mainly around beorc because she was rather sheltered and doesn't know them well. Think of it like Florina's thing with men or Lon'qu's thing with women. Ranulf, being a laguz who's interacted a lot with beorc and is best friends with one (Ike), is a good candidate to get to know her and help her overcome her shyness. I also kinda have him swoon a bit over her right away and he even asks Ike to help him win her heart. XD And Ike is just like "Do I look like a romantic expert to you?" Ranulf: "pleeeease" Ike: "Ugh...fine.."

Edited by Anacybele

I don't think I have one that I'd call my absolute favorite, but one of my favorite platonic relationships is easily Cordelia and Sumia. They're supportive of each other in their own way, and their Harvest Scramble conversation in particular is really sweet. Actually, now that I think about it, Awakening has a ton of platonic relationships I like; Chrom and Lissa and Emmeryn, Lissa and Maribelle, Severa and Lucina, Lucina and Inigo her sibling, male Morgan and Owain, Tiki and Say'ri...

Binding Blade is another game where I like a ton of platonic relationships; Roy and Wolt, Allen and Lance, Echidna and Lalum, Guinivere and Ellen and Milady, Lilina and Ogier, Lilina and Gwendolyn, Lugh and Raigh, Fae and Igrene and Sophia, etc.

I also tend to enjoy lord/best friend pairs like Lyn and Florina, Eliwood and Hector, Roy and Wolt, Leif and Asbel and Eirika and Tana. And the rare unique parent/child pairs like Chrom and Lucina and Bartre and Fir.

11 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

For me, it's gotta be Duessel/Amelia. It shows the real strength of Duessel's character in his devotion to helping his country of Grado, and the A Support always leaves me all emotional. Really, the paired ending is just a bonus.

Seconded. I always get this ending for them just because it's so sweet. Then again I also think Duessel is a great, underrated character in general.

10 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Actually can I just say Fae/Everyone ever.

Fae and everyone, including cross-game friendships! Fae and Myrrh would be the most adorable.

Edited by AzureSen

Ayra and Sigurd is my brotp. It's one hell of a friendship when it starts with Ayra trying to kill Sigurd and ends with Ayra willing to follow Sigurd to the BBQ. 

I also like Ayra and Lachesis as best friends, thanks to the Oosawa manga.

Ryoma/Elise is another support I enjoy platonically.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I'm on the Ike/Soren platonic train. While I acknowledge that it could be entirely possible, I just can't see Ike nor Soren in a romantic relationship with anyone, let alone each other.

Laslow/Saizou was one of the platonic supports that I enjoyed in Fates. Arthur/Niles is another one I enjoy platonically but mainly romantically. Raven/Lucius fall in a similar category as Ike/Soren to me. Sully/Stahl work better in a sworn companion relationship, in my opinion, and I like them better as such. Chrom/Sully is the same. Hinata/Hinoka works both romantically and platonically—I'm honestly surprised more people don't mention the support line, though, I guess a difference in taste is the answer to that. Another one I enjoyed was Vaike/Lon'qu, mainly for a good chuckle. Also, Lissa/Maribelle. Orochi/Kagero, too. I actually liked Hana/Setsuna as well, considering Setsuna's lack of a personality i still sorta like Setsuna tho Tharja/Nowi was pretty endearing, and I liked the glimpse of kindness Tharja was given.

Edited by saisymbolic
name edit

22 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

I'm on the Ike/Sothe platonic train. While I acknowledge that it could be entirely possible, I just can't see Ike nor Soren in a romantic relationship with anyone, let alone each other.

Did you mean to say Sothe there?  Because the next sentence, you talk about Soren...

Oh yeah, one I forgot before, Inigo/Lazlow x Owain/Odin.  Their Fates supports... Owain and Inigo really grew up.  

34 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Did you mean to say Sothe there?  Because the next sentence, you talk about Soren...

Oh yeah, one I forgot before, Inigo/Lazlow x Owain/Odin.  Their Fates supports... Owain and Inigo really grew up.  

I meant Soren in the first line. Let me fix it. Thanks for catching that.

Im so down with platonic Marcia/Keiran and platonic Ike/Elincia. Geoffrey/Bastian also gets me.

I love platonic Florina/Serra so much i die. Platonic Eliwood/Hector is so my jam.

Chrom/Robin friendship/bromance rocks. Sully/Sumia friendship <33333 I also love Sully/Miriel

platonic Ryoma/Elise, Nina/Velouria, Forrest/Seigbert, Charlotte/Peri is good shit too. 

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Bartre/Canas. Anyone who says anything else is WRONG. 

My dude, i cant believe i almost forgot this one.