Developer Interview (translated from Nintendo Dream)

Kirokan

10 minutes ago, Blade_of_Light said:

Etika is a youtuber who is seems to really push for the "waifu" aspects of Fire Emblem. I don't really watch him since he's a bit too vulgar for my tastes, but i did read about him (apparently he doesn't know the FE1 got a remake).

Oh I see... is he not on these forums?

Thanks for the translation! That was certainly an interesting read.

Although it wasn't mentioned in the interview at all, another roadblock about getting TMS#FE characters in Heroes would be that Atlus owns part of the copyright. I guess I'm not surprised that such a reason wouldn't be flat out mentioned in the article, though.

Also, I do totally hope that the Cipher mascots make it in at some point. :P

2 minutes ago, Kirie said:

Thanks for the translation! That was certainly an interesting read.

Although it wasn't mentioned in the interview at all, another roadblock about getting TMS#FE characters in Heroes would be that Atlus owns part of the copyright. I guess I'm not surprised that such a reason wouldn't be flat out mentioned in the article, though.

Also, I do totally hope that the Cipher mascots make it in at some point. :P

But they were allowed in Cipher, so why not Heroes? I really want a "FYAH EMBUREM: The Musical" banner.

Just now, L9999 said:

But they were allowed in Cipher, so why not Heroes?

It's not a hard set fact that because Atlus owns part of the copyright that it won't happen, it just makes it more difficult. When the cards were released with Cipher, it was a great time to promote TMS#FE. But now the game has been out for a while, and the Wii U is on its way out as well, so it's less likely that they'd make an effort for collaboration on such an endeavor.

3 minutes ago, L9999 said:

But they were allowed in Cipher, so why not Heroes? I really want a "FYAH EMBUREM: The Musical" banner.

Yeah, with them appearing in Cipher, I’d say it’s not impossible.

Besides, with the amount of coverage this game is getting, I don’t see why Atlus wouldn’t want to get on some of that for these characters.

Personally, I honestly want to see them. I’d be curious to see what skills they’d bring to the table, as well as seeing their reactions to actual Fire Emblem locations. It’d be an interesting idea I think.

Thanks for the translation!

Donnel has a literal pot on his head, which is quite distinctive, in more ways than one.  I can see why people would vote for him, even if he's not my type at all.

Thank you for the translation!

Fay and Sharena get along well (uuh, huh:huh::D: +1 for randomness)

Interesting that the touch screen mechanics were given as the first motivator for mages fixed range (I would have first thought about the balancing for the implemented movement mechanics (and stat choices))

I appreciate the love put into the artwork and voice acting (I need to look up where I can listen to the Japanese voice acting)

I'm assuming that were going to be getting a dribble of new characters from the currently underrepresented games for quite some time. The festive and humorous have been good by me until now. (I was hoping for a larger set of 3*s and 4*s from other games. Because they're what you pull the most. I can only bear so many Arthur's. And I appreciate you Olivia, but the six of you are starting to invade my personal space. Dance for someone else for a change!)

Thank you for the translation, Kirokan! 

I found the comments about the poll particularly interesting. It seems they vastly underestimate just how much fondness people hold for Lyn for being the first character many Western fans were introduced to. I'm personally more surprised they thought child Tiki would be more popular than her adult counterpart - something that's quite apparent given that child Tiki has a summoning animation - considering Mystery of the Emblem Tiki is relatively similar to Fae, Myrrh and Nowi in a lot of ways, whereas Awakening Tiki has a more clearly defined and unique personality. Or maybe I'm just saying that because I vastly prefer Awakening Tiki to the overwhelming majority of child characters in Japanese media. 

As for Donnel, I think it's his "Magikarp" status as someone put it that indeed wins people over. My little brother's playing through Awakening now for the first time and he adores Donnel, shouting "Donny booooy!" every time he gets a crit or something.

Edited by Thane

Thanks Kirokan, you're as awesome as ever!

13 hours ago, Sire said:

Many thanks for translating and sharing this with us, Kirokan!

I enjoy the fact there will be more original characters added to FE:Heroes. However, I don't see it happening unless we get a story expansion.

A small part of me is imagining playable Veronica and masked man right about now :P:

(Probably when a bigger evil appears and they turn out to be good or at least sympathetic guys)

1 hour ago, Thane said:

I'm personally more surprised they thought child Tiki would be more popular than her adult counterpart - something that's quite apparent given that child Tiki has a summoning animation - considering Mystery of the Emblem Tiki is relatively similar to Fae, Myrrh and Nowi in a lot of ways, whereas Awakening Tiki has a more clearly defined and unique personality. Or maybe I'm just saying that because I vastly prefer Awakening Tiki to the overwhelming majority of child characters in Japanese media.

"How did our loli lose, what happened? Is the world ending?"

Thank you for the translation.

"Difficult" to bring in #FE characters, eh? I hope they eventually appear in the game. Their conversations with the Summoner would be quite interesting. 

Ike being more popular here in the west is no surprise (he has a more American-inspired design, more so in RD, and there's Smash and stuff), but they forgot to mention that he's popular in his own right in Japan too! He won the Famitsu poll, beating out Marth, Lucina, Lyn, and more. He would've won the Heroes poll overall too, if not for the split votes. There were no split votes in Famitsu.

I'm not surprised Lyn's popularity shocked everyone. I thought she'd be a lot lower because I thought a lot of people, particularly Japanese, hated her tutorial story. She's pretty boring character-wise too, imo.

Edited by Anacybele

The owl is supposed to be Feh, not Fay. Feh, as in the acronym FEH (Fire Emblem Heroes) spelled as a name.

Also, this interview. This interview. "I deliberately started the franchise in the middle of said franchise and am content in my bubble regardless of what my inherently flawed view may end up causing": The Phenomenon. What a joke. IS probably won't bother with international polls after this, though.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

18 minutes ago, RedEyedDrake said:

Also, this interview. This interview. "I deliberately started the franchise in the middle of said franchise and am content in my bubble regardless of what my inherently flawed view may end up causing": The Phenomenon. What a joke. IS probably won't bother with international polls after this, though.

Care to explain where and how you got those observations?

9 hours ago, Skala_Bundet said:

I appreciate the love put into the artwork and voice acting (I need to look up where I can listen to the Japanese voice acting)

Here you go.

You can also change the language settings in FE Heroes itself though you do have to go through a restart and download whenever you change language (the game probably has to delete and download a different language pack (text, voices, etc.) each time the language is changed to conserve space).

Edited by Roflolxp54

6 hours ago, RedEyedDrake said:

The owl is supposed to be Feh, not Fay. Feh, as in the acronym FEH (Fire Emblem Heroes) spelled as a name.

I fixed it up on the main blog post when I realized such before your post, but realized I didn't fix it in this thread, so will do so. But out of curiosity, is there a confirmed record of them spelling it that way somewhere?

@Kiro:

I've seen it spelled that way somewhere in some non-official English site or other. And if that is the actual spelling then it would make sense for that to be the reason. However, if you want actual confirmation of anything you'll have to look at a Japanese source of some sort or other. And, needless to say, I can't provide any such sources. Also, if someone were to actually look such a source somewhere, I honestly doubt that they'd find anything in English. This is a Japanese company that we are talking about. Why would they write anything in English?

3 minutes ago, RedEyedDrake said:

@Kiro:

I've seen it spelled that way somewhere in some non-official English site or other. And if that is the actual spelling then it would make sense for that to be the reason. However, if you want actual confirmation of anything you'll have to look at a Japanese source of some sort or other. And, needless to say, I can't provide any such sources. Also, if someone were to actually look such a source somewhere, I honestly doubt that they'd find anything in English. This is a Japanese company that we are talking about. Why would they write anything in English?

Sometimes they romanize names the way they envision them (in filenames, or on profile pages and such). Indeed, I wasn't sure if it was fan interpretation or their intent, but was mostly just curious. I corrected it either way as I got a lot of people messaging me about said correction, so was just wondering where they got their info. xD

Will do some searching of my own when I get time! : ) Fixed it in this thread regardless.

2 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Here you go.

You can also change the language settings in FE Heroes itself though you do have to go through a restart and download whenever you change language (the game probably has to delete and download a different language pack (text, voices, etc.) each time the language is changed to conserve space).

Very gracious :): .

Almost went and changed the in-game language to Japanese... and noticed I might have difficulties finding my way back through the menus :P: . (Tempting, but no.)

I'll take the link. I love adding things to my vg music collection :^_^:

10 hours ago, Thane said:

I'm personally more surprised they thought child Tiki would be more popular than her adult counterpart - something that's quite apparent given that child Tiki has a summoning animation - considering Mystery of the Emblem Tiki is relatively similar to Fae, Myrrh and Nowi in a lot of ways, whereas Awakening Tiki has a more clearly defined and unique personality. Or maybe I'm just saying that because I vastly prefer Awakening Tiki to the overwhelming majority of child characters in Japanese media.

Mystery of the Emblem in general is more popular than Awakening in Japan (in fact, it's still the most popular Fire Emblem game in Japan, or at least, the game that's looked upon most fondly), so I assume that's where they got the idea that child Tiki would be more popular than adult Tiki.

1 minute ago, Extrasolar said:

Mystery of the Emblem in general is more popular than Awakening in Japan (in fact, it's still the most popular Fire Emblem game in Japan, or at least, the game that's looked upon most fondly), so I assume that's where they got the idea that child Tiki would be more popular than adult Tiki.

Sure, the game might be more popular, but not only did Awakening sell more (and thus expose itself to more people, I'm not arguing that it means the quality of the game was better), but I don't really see what young Tiki offers that other child characters which are so common in anime and Japanese games don't. I'm well aware that this is just my opinion and that I'm very biased towards Awakening Tiki's portrayal, but that's how I see it. Her FE1/FE11 version got ~4400 votes and her FE3/12 one ~2300, which doesn't really match Awakening Tiki's ~9800, which makes me wonder just how popular they thought her younger self was.

3 minutes ago, Thane said:

Sure, the game might be more popular, but not only did Awakening sell more (and thus expose itself to more people, I'm not arguing that it means the quality of the game was better), but I don't really see what young Tiki offers that other child characters which are so common in anime and Japanese games don't. I'm well aware that this is just my opinion and that I'm very biased towards Awakening Tiki's portrayal, but that's how I see it. Her FE1/FE11 version got ~4400 votes and her FE3/12 one ~2300, which doesn't really match Awakening Tiki's ~9800, which makes me wonder just how popular they thought her younger self was.

I guess this 9800 is from outside of japan. I hardly believe someone vote for her child version outside of japan. And I can understand why people outside of japan vote for her.