An interesting detail I noticed

If you look at the armor plated areas of the character art, you'll notice chips and scratches in them. However, if you pay attention, you'll notice that the number of scratches makes sense for the character wearing the armor. For example, Kliff has no scratches, because he never fought or trained, while Alm has many from his training with mycen/ sparring with Gray and Tobin.

Yeah, most peoples' armor is scratch-free, and if they're meant to be villagers just running off to join the Deliverance at the beginning of the game it definitely makes sense. I didn't even notice Alm's armor being a little worn until you pointed it out, haha.

Though Valibar's armor stands out in this regard, as it's absolutely covered in scratches. I'm not familiar with the cast of Gaiden at all - is Valibar meant to be this super experienced soldier/fighter guy? Cause in that case, it makes sense.

On a small note, I love little attention to detail things like that. Makes the armor look more realistic, since real armor gets pretty beat up after repeated uses, after all.

Edited by Extrasolar

Yeah, I noticed that too. Literally, the artwork for this game is so detailed and meticulous, I love it.

I honestly think Hidari beats out Senri Kita as my favourite FE artist.

The attention to detail by Hidari is really appreciated. She's quickly becoming one of my favorite character designers in the Fire Emblem series.

Yeah, I noticed it in the new art thread too. It's pretty neat, and takes character into account, with Valbar's the most banged up because he's older and an ex-soldier and Kliff's has no scratches because he's a rookie. (Faye doesn't get any armor I guess.)

I like it.

5 minutes ago, Calico said:

Yeah, I noticed it in the new art thread too. It's pretty neat, and takes character into account, with Valbar's the most banged up because he's older and an ex-soldier and Kliff's has no scratches because he's a rookie. (Faye doesn't get any armor I guess.)

I like it.

Faye probably didn't even think to grab armor since her main motivation for joining the Deliverance is so she can be close to Alm.

Also, did anyone notice that Berkut has no scratches on his armor? Makes sense with him being a prince/royalty and therefore probably wouldn't see much action in the battlefield.

4 minutes ago, KazeNinja17 said:

Also, did anyone notice that Berkut has no scratches on his armor? Makes sense with him being a prince/royalty and therefore probably wouldn't see much action in the battlefield.

Ooh, I actually like this angle. Maybe a pampered noble who's not set foot outside the castle until the game starts, only to jump at joining the Rigellian army in order to prove himself in battle to his uncle. (He's Rudolf's nephew, right? I believe I read that somewhere.) Could be an interesting analogue to the brand-new Alm and villager friends joining the opposite side.

Just now, Extrasolar said:

Ooh, I actually like this angle. Maybe a pampered noble who's not set foot outside the castle until the game starts, only to jump at joining the Rigellian army in order to prove himself in battle to his uncle. (He's Rudolf's nephew, right? I believe I read that somewhere.) Could be an interesting analogue to the brand-new Alm and villager friends joining the opposite side.

yeah, berkut is rudolf's nephew

that would definitely be interesting, especially considering that he'd also be

Spoiler

alm's cousin

1 minute ago, Extrasolar said:

Agreed. And yeah, he's Rudolf's nephew and he's one who I believe masterminds the coup with Desaix. Either way, it could provide his character and interesting angle given the fact that he's new in Echoes and has no history or backstory that's already been established. Kind of makes me want to learn more about him now.

8 minutes ago, KazeNinja17 said:

Agreed. And yeah, he's Rudolf's nephew and he's one who I believe masterminds the coup with Desaix. Either way, it could provide his character and interesting angle given the fact that he's new in Echoes and has no history or backstory that's already been established. Kind of makes me want to learn more about him now.

Part of me is predicting Berkut as a naive, passionate but self-absorbed kid who's going to be used/taken advantage of by Desaix, and then kicked to the curb in a likely violent way once Desaix thinks he's reached the limits of his usefulness. You'd almost feel sorry for the kid. And if it does happen that way, I called it first

The kid might be fundamentally good-hearted, but misguided and have strong character flaws... and by the end the Deliverance might try to appeal to him to join them after Desaix's betrayal. But will he be too stubborn or prideful to do it? Will he fight against his uncle...and how does Rudolf feel about him in the first place, for that matter? Yeah, I'm really interested in him now.

9 minutes ago, unique said:

that would definitely be interesting, especially considering that he'd also be

Spoiler

Oh right... This makes their rivalry even more interesting... And he'd be one of the few blood relatives Alm even has left...

Edited by Extrasolar

9 minutes ago, KazeNinja17 said:

Faye probably didn't even think to grab armor since her main motivation for joining the Deliverance is so she can be close to Alm.

I mean the real reason is probably that the artist thought any armor would get in the way of showing off her cute dress, but it doesn't really matter. Just an observation.

Also, I feel that Berkut/Whatshisname probably doesn't have any scratches on his armor because he can afford to replace old armor, being a noble and all. But it could be like you said, and either way it's probably meant to contrast with the other characters.

2 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Part of me is predicting Berkut as a naive, passionate but self-absorbed kid who's going to be used/taken advantage of by Desaix, and then kicked to the curb in a likely violent way once Desaix thinks he's reached the limits of his usefulness. You'd almost feel sorry for the kid. And if it does happen that way, I called it first

The kid might be fundamentally good-hearted, but misguided and have strong character flaws... and by the end the Deliverance might try to appeal to him to join them after Desaix's betrayal. But will he be too stubborn or prideful to do it? Will he fight against his uncle...and how does Rudolf feel about him in the first place, for that matter? Yeah, I'm really interested in him now.

Right now I'm torn on whether I'm hoping he remains an enemy unit that you defeat and never recruit or if I want him to be recruitable eventually. I suppose it ultimately depends on how his character is played out in the game.

2 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Reveal hidden contents

Oh right... This makes their rivalry even more interesting... And he'd be one of the few blood relatives Alm even has left...

I smell a Camus character afoot, and it's not because

Spoiler

The actual Camus is there.

I hope he's playable. He's a paladin, right? So he can still be promoted to Master Knight if we get him. Also,

Spoiler

If he's supposed to rival Alm, maybe there could be some sort of interaction between him and Celica of some sort? To really up the drama of it all. I know it sounds cliche, but I just watched that one over the top Maria Del Barrio scene and I want some pure, unfiltered, DRAMA.

TBH, I don;t want Berkut to be playable. I just really want a game where the villains don't join you, plz intsys >_<.

5 minutes ago, Azz said:

TBH, I don;t want Berkut to be playable. I just really want a game where the villains don't join you, plz intsys >_<.

I think as long as they don't make too many villains recruitable, I don't have an issue with Berkut POTENTIALLY joining you, but it's all speculation. It'd make for a more interesting dynamic if Berkut doesn't join you, though.

53 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Yeah, most peoples' armor is scratch-free, and if they're meant to be villagers just running off to join the Deliverance at the beginning of the game it definitely makes sense. I didn't even notice Alm's armor being a little worn until you pointed it out, haha.

Though Valibar's armor stands out in this regard, as it's absolutely covered in scratches. I'm not familiar with the cast of Gaiden at all - is Valibar meant to be this super experienced soldier/fighter guy? Cause in that case, it makes sense.

On a small note, I love little attention to detail things like that. Makes the armor look more realistic, since real armor gets pretty beat up after repeated uses, after all.

Valbar's an ex-soldier on a quest of personal vengeance. So yeah, he's seen a lot of shit.

And I'm on the train that thinks Berkut's totally meant to be a rival/foil to Alm.

while I'd be okay with berkut not joining you, I would also be okay with it if he joined you after

Spoiler

rudolf's death, since not only would he discover that he and alm are related, but he also would have lost his uncle and commander, possibly causing him to have no reason to continue fighting

i think that could make for a good moment 

Huh, I didn't notice that at first, but that is a nifty little detail! Hidari never ceases to impress.

33 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Part of me is predicting Berkut as a naive, passionate but self-absorbed kid who's going to be used/taken advantage of by Desaix, and then kicked to the curb in a likely violent way once Desaix thinks he's reached the limits of his usefulness. You'd almost feel sorry for the kid. And if it does happen that way, I called it first

All of which kind of falls apart when you remember that one of the few things we know about him is that Berkut was the one who convinced Desaix to start his rebellion, and that it's more likely that Berkut is using Desaix to further Rigel's invasion of Zophia. If anything, he'll be the one leaving Desaix high and dry when Rigel doesn't need his coup anymore, not the other way around.

Edited by AzureSen

2 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

All of which kind of falls apart when you remember that one of the few things we know about him is that Berkut was the one who convinced Desaix to start his rebellion, and that it's more likely that Berkut is using Desaix to further Rigel's invasion of Zophia. If anything, he'll be the one leaving Desaix high and dry when Rigel doesn't need his coup anymore, not the other way around.

Desaix could be playing along, in order to convince the kid that he's the one in charge/calling the shots. After all, there's no surer way to lull someone into a false sense of security than pretending that all of what's happening is their idea and that you're just a servant to them. Considering Desaix is far older and more experienced than Berkut in both battle and life experience, I can definitely see him using Berkut's youth and inexperience against him in this manner. Teenagers aren't all that hard to trick, especially if you tell them what they want to hear, after all.

Of course, all of this is just theory crafting, but I can see a scheme like that happening.

7 hours ago, KazeNinja17 said:

I think as long as they don't make too many villains recruitable, I don't have an issue with Berkut POTENTIALLY joining you, but it's all speculation. It'd make for a more interesting dynamic if Berkut doesn't join you, though.

I do remembered that there was only 4 recruitable enemies (Sonya or Deen, depends on which route you fight and the other one will join you, Delthea, and Zeke) in the original game and I do remembered that the other Fire Emblem games have about around 10 recuitable enemies. I really do hope that we get more recruitable enemies joining the team in Echoes something like exclusive characters that didn't appear in Gaiden or some Gaiden existing bosses that join you in Echoes that weren't recruited in Gaiden similar to like Michalis and the Wolfguard in New Mystery of the Emblem. (I'm not actually saying I wanted the Nephew of Rigel to join)

I'm hoping that Berkut doesn't join because killing the Camus would feed into the whole "Alm is a ruthless son of a bitch" thing. It'd be especially cool if Berkut doesn't die in the battle and he tries to switch sides and Alm just executes him and calls him a coward and a traitor for trying to betray his nation, but I doubt that would happen.

4 hours ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

I'm hoping that Berkut doesn't join because killing the Camus would feed into the whole "Alm is a ruthless son of a bitch" thing. It'd be especially cool if Berkut doesn't die in the battle and he tries to switch sides and Alm just executes him and calls him a coward and a traitor for trying to betray his nation, but I doubt that would happen.

I'm not sure if they are going to make Alm that savage because in the new trailor, when Alm is looking over the graveyard (of supposedly all the dead zofians) his hands are open rather than clenched into fists. This either implies that he is going to stop Rigel out of necessity rather than vengeance,  or he is looking over the graves of all the people who he has killed and is having a "realization moment" where his character grows.

40 minutes ago, KliffIsTheOG said:

I'm not sure if they are going to make Alm that savage because in the new trailor, when Alm is looking over the graveyard (of supposedly all the dead zofians) his hands are open rather than clenched into fists. This either implies that he is going to stop Rigel out of necessity rather than vengeance,  or he is looking over the graves of all the people who he has killed and is having a "realization moment" where his character grows.

Actually, I was wondering about that Graveyard scene also. I wondered all of those Gravestones are belong to the entire people from the Zofian Castle or a lot of Zofian citizens got caught in the battle after Desaix and Rudolf conquered the Zofian Castle also since that is heck a lot of Gravestones that we saw in that scene?

Also, I did heard Alm mentioned it in the PAX East footage in the Deliverance Hideout that this place was built for the fallen Zofians and it resurrected as Terrors that I think that's possibly why the Rigelians, Grieth's army, and the traitors of Zofia probably have killed so many of them so that they can bring more Terrors resurrected for Duma.

Edited by King Marth 64

Honestly as a location the graveyard seemed so ominous and almost dreamlike to me, my first thought was that it had to be from Celica's dream. But maybe that was because of how the scene was placed in the trailer - I think they showed Celica waking up almost immediately after the graveyard shot.

Actually, I think it would be cool if Berkut is sort of a Shura type scenario as was done in Conquest. You can give him a second chance and recruit him, or execute him for his crimes.

Also, I think Hidari is a dude.