Voting Gauntlet: Pegasus Knights vs. Wyvern Riders

Vaximillian

26 minutes ago, predator_21476 said:

Anytime there are rewards like that they are given out to every player, regardless of participation

Ah, that's good. I think I might be finished with these Gauntlets past this round. The voting so utterly disgusts me.

Bandwagoners just make everything less fun. No sense of competition. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Ah, that's good. I think I might be finished with these Gauntlets past this round. The voting so utterly disgusts me.

Bandwagoners just make everything less fun. No sense of competition. 

I think it's hard to say that bandwagoning is the reason characters like Camilla and Lucina steamroll. They're popular in their own right, perhaps for reasons one may or may not like, but there it is. I think the larger issue is that the character being picked for these (all 8) as a whole are not well matched. There's two immensely popular characters, a couple middle, and the rest unknown. If brackets had both Lucina and Lyn, for instance, it might be more competitive.

Everyone is saying band wagoners but I feel like we are blowing it out of proportion. The large gap between competitors isn't necessarily due to band wagoners. It was already obvious from the get go that Lucina/Camilla were the most popular choices and it was inevitable for them to steamroll everyone else. 

7 minutes ago, Cossack>Cavalier said:

I think it's hard to say that bandwagoning is the reason characters like Camilla and Lucina steamroll. They're popular in their own right, perhaps for reasons one may or may not like, but there it is. I think the larger issue is that the character being picked for these (all 8) as a whole are not well matched. There's two immensely popular characters, a couple middle, and the rest unknown. If brackets had both Lucina and Lyn, for instance, it might be more competitive.

Yeah, they should do a better job of picking who goes into these things. However I think that removing the feather reward for being in a winning army wouldn't  be a bad idea either. Even if they're not the sole reason the competition is lopsided, I feel it creates an incentive for people to just join the team they think is going to win rather than their favorite characters team.

11 minutes ago, Cossack>Cavalier said:

I agree. I don't think we have enough information to say that bandwagoning is the problem either.
They way I see it, bandwagoning may come to be a problem is the last round of the gauntlets, as people may not care about either character and just bet on the rewards, having access to info about their earlier performances and all.

Camilla and Lucina doing great is just sadly expected. I'd say the gauntlet is almost great as it is, IMO, they just need to raise the difference in feathers between placing low and high in the characters ranking, making it more rewarding to go with less popular characters (or maybe give some extra battle flags to losers or something like that).

Edited by r4v1sh

Just now, Robert of Normandy said:

Yeah, they should do a better job of picking who goes into these things. However I think that removing the feather reward for being in a winning army wouldn't  be a bad idea either. Even if they're not the sole reason the competition is lopsided, I feel it creates an incentive for people to just join the team they think is going to win rather than their favorite characters team.

That's the trick, eh? Find a way to incentivize participation but not winners, per se. However, it IS a competition, so winners should get something, at least in my book. Which brings us back to square one.

1 minute ago, Cossack>Cavalier said:

That's the trick, eh? Find a way to incentivize participation but not winners, per se. However, it IS a competition, so winners should get something, at least in my book. Which brings us back to square one.

Well they could have the reward be a new costume or version of the character that wins. That would given incentive for people to actually pick their favourites.

I didn't realize how much of a landslide Camilla was having untol recent. I just hope people band together to support Cordelia against Camilla, which I doubt will happen.

But as much as I like the concept of the Voting Gauntlets, it's just a glorified popularity contest and so far we have seen the most popular characters win. We can basically see how future Voting Gauntlets will be if we go by the popularity poll for Heroes. A battle between two popular characters would prove to be much more exciting than a one-sided fight.

I said it before, but attributing Camilla's success to mainly the fault of bandwagoners is pretty rude to what I imagine are the the vast majority of her supporters, who are voting for her because they like her. I think sometimes the influence of bandwagoners is drastically overstated.

I don't mind how it is, honestly. To be fair, when I first saw it, I thought Cordelia had a large chance against Camilla since she always seemed stupidly popular to me... I haven't kept up with the current results, but there will also always be people who stick with their favourites. Subaki was never going to win against Camilla. She's a main character... he's not. I think pretty much all of the top people were main characters up until a point (mostly lords).

I want to keep the feather rewards because why not? I wouldn't like there to be any other reward. New art for the character? We'll end up with a gazillion Luncinas and Ikes and no others, which is not exciting at all. Shards... a bit lacklustre and might not give people incentive to play. I think this is the best way to do it. Everyone gets the orbs for participating (providing it hits 10bil or whatever the figure is) so it's just a bit of fun in the end. Who really cares who wins?

Edited by Cute Chao

2 minutes ago, Cossack>Cavalier said:

Feathers for ranking should still be given out, which would give a good reason to participate but not to join any particular team. The winners should get either special art or a focus of all the Gauntlet winners somewhere down the line.

1 minute ago, predator_21476 said:

Well they could have the reward be a new costume or version of the character that wins. That would given incentive for people to actually pick their favourites.

That's actually a good idea. We're all nerds, fanboys/girls, at heart. They have to tap into that unbridled obsessive power.

Spoiler

inb4 Camilla still wins and her costume is simply more skimpy

Just now, Cossack>Cavalier said:

That's actually a good idea. We're all nerds, fanboys/girls, at heart. They have to tap into that unbridled obsessive power.

Hide contents

I really, really hate this idea. Man, it doesn't sound fun to have a game loaded with all the already popular characters who will already have CYL and their own art. Like I say, whoever is going to win is going to win regardless. The only reason people can 'bandwagon' is 'cos it's clear who is popular, especially in these current ones. Camilla wouldn't lose even with this, I bet.

Just now, Cossack>Cavalier said:
  Hide contents

The fun thing is that her fanservice outfit (bunny costume) is somehow less skimpy than her default one.

1 minute ago, Cossack>Cavalier said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah I don't actually think the removal of bandwagonning incentives will change the eventual outcome. I just want them gone on principle.

Heh, I remember throwing my lot in Lucina wagon after Elise lost to spite the team that led to her defeat. We might see all the Hinoka army choose the side that emerges to face Camilla and throw all their flags there to make a real competition.

I find it silly that people would blow more flags on Camilla when she already has such a lead. The nature of the gauntlet should be you never know where all the hoarded flags get spent in the end. Part of the Ephraim problem in the last gauntlet might be too many burned their flags in the Ephraim vs Chrom round. Could have been a better match if both male armies consolidated without wasting flags?

You never know how the final might flip. Could be a round where Camilla army has spent all their flags and a grand coalition of everyone else blow their flags on her. It's not like the vote count carries over each round, so any flag still being spent on her is wasted flag in a strategic sense.

1 minute ago, Cute Chao said:

I really, really hate this idea. Man, it doesn't sound fun to have a game loaded with all the already popular characters who will already have CYL and their own art. Like I say, whoever is going to win is going to win regardless. The only reason people can 'bandwagon' is 'cos it's clear who is popular, especially in these current ones. Camilla wouldn't lose even with this, I bet.

That is when it falls onto IS to balance out the gauntlets to have some with popular characters and ones with less popular characters. Which hopefully they will start doing rather than having a very popular characters with less popular ones.

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Is this a serious question? You're joking right? You have to be joking! 

Not really, not when the outcomes are so clear from the start. It might be worth caring more when there isn't one or two characters who will get all the votes and some that are more equal... but of course that's only interesting to people who like more varied characters and won't lose interest if the main characters aren't there ^.^ I never expected Ephraim to win, but I sure had fun fighting Lucina. The Chrom battle was more fun, though, since it was less certain, and that's when these things will actually gain some kind of meaning.

1 minute ago, Rothene said:

It's not like the vote count carries over each round, so any flag still being spent on her is wasted flag in a strategic sense.

But the personal points count does carry over in a sense; you get additional rewards for your total rank.

Does your personal point count carry over even if you join the losing side of the round? Like say those who burn their flags on Hinoka, will their personal point count follow them?

1 minute ago, Rothene said:

Does your personal point count carry over even if you join the losing side of the round? Like say those who burn their flags on Hinoka, will their personal point count follow them?

You mean the points for purpose of calculating cumulative rank? Yes.

Ah, in that sense optimal feather gain is to join the total loser of round 1 and 2 to high feather to flag contribution ratio...then bandwagon on round 3 and get the win bonus. You still keep your personal score after all