How many OCs do you think the game will have and do you think the cast will be female slanted?

The DanMan

How Many OCs do you think the game will have?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How Many OCs do you think the game will have?

2. 2. Do you think the cast will significantly slant towards females?

Just now, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Tell me you're trying to bullshit me. Please... Because to be frank, I wouldn't give Tharja or Cordelia a snowball's chance in Hell of making it in.

Yeah that's a good one of course they'll be in if you don't get popular characters at all...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Yeah that's a good one of course they'll be in if you don't get popular characters at all...

Oh I do agree that's a good one... Because far as I'm concerned, it's farfetched at best and stupidiculous at worst. It'll take much more than "they're popular hurr durr" to convince me...

3 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Oh I do agree that's a good one... Because far as I'm concerned, it's farfetched at best and stupidiculous at worst. It'll take much more than "they're popular hurr durr" to convince me...

Given what was shown in the teaser their chances are pretty good, but hey let's be obnoxious about disagreeing with one to another.

20 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Are you actually even contributing to anything, or are you just going around disagreeing with everything because it's """bullshit"""?

20 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Given what was shown in the teaser their chances are pretty good, but hey let's be obnoxious about disagreeing with one to another.

On what grounds? Because honestly, playing the popularity card is a flimsy argument, as far as I'm concerned... The only argument that makes so much as an iota of sense as far as I'm concerned is recency, which they just don't really have on their side.

11 minutes ago, Soledai said:

Are you actually even contributing to anything, or are you just going around disagreeing with everything because it's """bullshit"""?

Just ignore them they have no counterargument to why they think popular well known characters especially from the newer 3DS games are "unlikely" just obvious random hate....

20 minutes ago, Soledai said:

I already stated my outlook earlier - I just don't see a female dominated roster happening unless they oversaturate the roster with random minor characters.

7 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Just ignore them they have no counterargument to why they think popular well known characters especially from the newer 3DS games are "unlikely" just obvious random hate....

Of course you'd say that. Like I said earlier, I just don't see popularity as a good argument, because it opens the door for hyping other minor characters, and THAT opens the door for disappointment.

^ By that logic, I have reasons believe those OC's are none other than the Askr's Trio. It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but I do think it would be a terrible waste of potential to not use them since Heroe's story progression is far too cumbersome.

Edited by Zangetsu

41 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

^ By that logic, I have reasons believe those OC's are none other than the Askr's Trio. It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but I do think it would be a terrible waste of potential to not use them since Heroe's story progression is far too cumbersome.

Now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind seeing that. Anyways, I voted 4, because I can't help but expect at least one OC villain.

FE Heroes trio or anyone from there cannot be OCs in FE Warriors as they do not qualify. They were created for FE Heroes, and with that, they do not become "original" if added to FE:W since they already have a point of origin.

Edited by Soledai

32 minutes ago, Soledai said:

FE Heroes trio or anyone from there cannot be OCs in FE Warriors as they do not qualify. They were created for FE Heroes, and with that, they do not become "original" if added to FE:W since they already have a point of origin.

True that.

1 hour ago, Soledai said:

Eh fair enough, still be a waste though. Plz don't another evil dragon.

8 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Of course you'd say that. Like I said earlier, I just don't see popularity as a good argument, because it opens the door for hyping other minor characters, and THAT opens the door for disappointment.

Popularity is a legitimate argument because IS clearly loves them polls-- and Tharja and Cordelia have consistently placed very high. They both also had statues released within the past year or two, and among newer players Awakening has fully cemented itself due to first-game nostalgia.

14 hours ago, Hardin said:

So what? People have also been "weebs" about FE characters since day 1, just being the kind of game FE is attracts those kinds of people. The notion that the game having 50% or more female characters is a bad thing, is a very problematic attitude IMO. Yes, some characters are sexualized to the extreme, but the answer to that isn't reducing the number of women in the game. 

Making broad statements like that doesn't mean much of anything-- yeah, of course there were a few people like that, but it's a pretty undeniable fact that the waifu obsession massively grew when Awakening canonized it and brought a ton of new people in.
And I never said having 50% or more female characters is a bad thing-- if there's a reason for it and they're tastefully done, I have no complaints. But considering both Koei's and IS's track records, it would likely just be due to pander to those loudly dedicated to the most popular waifus.

One idea I just came up with that likely won't happen, but, since a few people have suggested a customizable OC unit, perhaps a customizable unit similar to the Mii Fighter in Smash Bros. 4. It does not necessarily have to use Mii (though it easily could).

One can choose their weapon type between sword, lance, axe, bow, tome (anima), tome (light), and tome (dark) (or just put all the types of tomes together); and one can choose either to keep a default outfit, or pick an outfit based on the standard Fire Emblem classes. The outfits one can pick can depend on the weapon chosen or vice-versa, though it does not have to. One can then choose additional design features, such as a shield, hood/helmet, and maybe cape. One can then choose their attacks similarly to Mii Fighter.

42 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Popularity is a legitimate argument because IS clearly loves them polls-- and Tharja and Cordelia have consistently placed very high. They both also had statues released within the past year or two, and among newer players Awakening has fully cemented itself due to first-game nostalgia.

Perhaps, but honestly, I can't help but remain leery - if I subscribe to the popularity logic, I'd have to give the likes of Gaius and Jakob a shot at getting in, and that just is something I have absolutely zero confidence in happening. . . (I can't find the popularity rankings, so I don't remember other minor characters who scored high in those things)

15 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Tell me you're trying to bullshit me. Please... Because to be frank, I wouldn't give Tharja or Cordelia a snowball's chance in Hell of making it in.

Cordy and Tharja are popular, they have better chances than a significant amount of other people in the franchise.

12 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Cordy and Tharja are popular, they have better chances than a significant amount of other people in the franchise.

I already said earlier why I don't put much stock in popularity. IMO, it falls flat knowing that at the end of the day, they're just random characters in a series where random characters tend to not be very memorable. I mean, it ain't like they're going to be getting into Smash on the coattails of popularity alone...

Popularity is probably the single easiest way to predict who will be on the roster.

This is going to be a fanservice game; they will be choosing characters the fans want to see. Putting in Tharja, who is quite possibly top 5 for popularity in the series, will draw more people to buy the game than putting in someone like Frederick who isn't even top 20, even if Frederick is more important. (Tharja is also the most popular mage by almost any metric, so I think she's close to a shoe-in.)

Smash is a bit different since it has such a small selection of characters to work with (with one of their roster spots, Marth, taken up by the series' original main character, and Roy/Corrin getting their spots to help advertise their games), but even there popularity has an effect; it probably helps explain why Lucina got in over Chrom. But in the case of FEW, I'm assuming there will be at least a 10-20 returning characters, and that makes characters like Tharja far more likely.

9 hours ago, The DanMan said:

And I never said having 50% or more female characters is a bad thing-- if there's a reason for it and they're tastefully done, I have no complaints. But considering both Koei's and IS's track records, it would likely just be due to pander to those loudly dedicated to the most popular waifus.

I'm with Hardin here, and I find statements like this extremely problematic. If they put in Hector it's because he's popular, but if they put in Tharja it's because she's a "waifu"? I fail to see the difference.

I would suggest that referring to popular female characters as "waifus" is probably best avoided in general.

As a heads up, never forget Koei Tecmo's use of the WTF factor. 

And by that, I mean Agitha and Bao Sanniang. Two girls who nobody never asked for, but KT said "why not?" and thus threw them in.

Any bets on if FEW will have one? And if so, who?

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I'm with Hardin here, and I find statements like this extremely problematic. If they put in Hector it's because he's popular, but if they put in Tharja it's because she's a "waifu"? I fail to see the difference.

I would suggest that referring to popular female characters as "waifus" is probably best avoided in general.

Recent popular female characters tend to be perceived as "waifus". Tharja, Camilla, etc... . It doesn't extend purely to newer female characters, since popular female characters in the series in general (Lyn and Ninian come to mind) have little substance as characters but still prove popular. I'm not against their inclusion, but if the bulk of the roster is made up of characters like them then yeah, I'd be disappointed.

Edited by The DanMan

All I have to say about Tharja is this; Look at her, then think about KT for a second. It's KT, come on. Her popularity is merely a bonus for them.(Though another way to look at it, her existence could semi-confirm Robin, because she needs him for her gimmick)

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And by that, I mean Agitha and Bao Sanniang. Two girls who nobody never asked for, but KT said "why not?" and thus threw them in.

In Bao's case in particular, not only did I not ask for her, I didn't even know who she was. Hell, I forgot about her until I saw this post lol.

But the only character that could really surprise me is Rajaion. He's the only character I can think of right now whose inclusion could make me go "wow wasn't expecting that". Or that one boss in PoR who "shoulda brought more priests or some dang babies"

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In terms of meme-out-of-left-field-crazy characters, the real question is indeed who.

They could include Iago or Gangrel for memes because let's be real, they're pretty meme-y in their own right.

They could add in Anna simply for being a series staple and give her a crazy moveset.

Donnel or Mozu could fit as killagers with absurd playstyles.

The more I think about it, the more I doubt an out of left field character can be grabbed from SD or Mystery.

Honestly, Felicia, Flora or Jakob from Fates could be grabbed as representatives of the crazy.

On an unrelated note, this thread went in a very different direction than I expected. I honestly don't see how people could think Tharja or Cordelia could get in. They're outclassed in their own game in terms of representing certain class archetypes. Tharja's beaten out by Validar, Cordelia gets beaten out in terms of plot relevance by CHERCHE. And Aversa ends up beating both of them. The key is not only popularity, but relevancy to the plot and uniqueness. In terms of fliers across the three games in question, Cordelia's got no hope when matched against Minerva, Michalis, Caeda, Camilla or Hinoka. Tharja's got no hope unless Robin's in and they reveal them as a pair, since she's beaten out by Validar, Iago and the big one, GHARNEF.

The thought process is simple. Popularity is one thing, but uniqueness is just as, if not more important a factor. Tharja's not unique, not in her game and not in the franchise, and the same goes for Cordelia. If they do get in on their own merits and not when tied to another character like Sumia, Henry or Robin, I might explode from shock because that'd be unexpected to an absurd degree.

Being negative about the hype generally isn't something I do often, but this idea that they'll ignore prime meat like Aversa in exchange for Cordelia or Tharja is just silly in my eyes.