Ideas As To How We Should Use Badges?

Falcom

I've been going around the internet and seeing people being glad that IS is listening to us. However, they mention that improvements still need to be made. One of the most common wishes is for there to be some way to utilize badges. And I can't help but agree with this.

Ever since the game released, I've been going to the training tower, collecting badges everyday. It wasn't until now that I noticed how much badges I have hoarded. Here's how many I got:
-1,904 Scarlet & 686 Great Scarlet
-1,859 Azure & 586 Great Azure
-2,006 Verdant & 585 Great Verdant
-2,553 Transparent & 564 Great Transparent
Point is, that's quite a lot.

So what do you think? How should we use our badges? Here's my idea:

Spoiler

Similarly to Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, we should have another summon banner with a different currency. That currency would be as you'd expect: badges. Some other notes:

-Cannot summon 5* OR 5* do appear but their appearance rates start at 2.00% rather than 3.00% (Just to be fair since at least they aren't scarce as orbs)
-No focus characters
-If you go a full summon session and didn't get a 4*/5*, your appearance rate increases. Appearance rates will reset after 2 weeks.
-1* or 2* should be included (otherwise I see no point as to why they exist)
-1 Orb is equivalent to 100 badges? (To be honest, I can't think of a good exchange rate)
-10 Great Badges would also be equivalent to 1 Orb. HOWEVER, summoning with 200 great badges will get you a guarenteed 3*/4* (also iffy on this)

If they wanna go the extra mile, then they should have 4 separate banners. Each banner only allows you to summon that specific attribute. So say if I have scarlet badges, I can use those to summon a banner where you only get red units.

TO BE PERFECTLY CLEAR, this is just a thought. I'm not saying that I would desperately want this. I'm fine with the game as is.

Edited by Falcom

Tee hee.... Brave. Exvius.

Since I know the referenced game, I can understand the idea. So under the assumption that badges get used this way, I dunno about being able to get 4* from using badges. 1* and 2*, for sure, 3* maybe, 4* nah. And being able to use colored badges to summon for that color isn't a bad idea the given scenario, and it's why I think 4* shouldn't be a part of that, it'd be too abusable for what's veritably "free summons", I think.

An alternate use for badges could be something not seen in the game, yet(or ever), exchanges. The stuff? I dunno, low tier S skills down the line or other assorted goods?

OT: Your colored badge/banner summon reminded me of the type banners in BE, are you a JP player?

Badges should be swappable for something else. For instance, maybe shards, crystals, dueling crests, stamina potions and so forth. Great Badges worth more than normal badges for this purpose, of course. Since you can get so many so easily, stuff like stamina potions could be high cost items. Really even a 1:1 for shards/crystals depending on the badge

Badges for SP could also work, especially since SI can get really expensive and time consuming to build SP.

What I really want is the ability to use more badges to help lower the cost of promotion. Like instead of 20 badges/20,000 feathers, you could use like 40 badges/18000 feathers. Something like that, though it would probably be more like 50 greats = 500. Still. It'd encourage players to play more training tower to get more badges to work towards promoting 5 stars while not being a walk in the park. They've been really working on getting more and more feathers out there, but promotions are more important than ever thanks to SI and 5* promotes get delayed more and more when you keep promoting 3*s for their skills.

Use a large number of Great Badges (at least, let's say, 100) to change a unit's Boon/Bane combination (either to neutral stats or to a combination of the player's choosing; can make it so that for a non-neutral-stats unit, the player would have to spend 100 Great Badges to turn the unit's stats to neutral, and then spend another 100 Great Badges to set the unit's stats to a Boon/Bane combination of the player's choosing). Doing this may also reset the unit's level to 1 and the base stats to that of level 1. May also require the unit to be lv. 40 before the unit can have their Boon/Bane combination to be changed.

Exchange badges for feathers/orbs.

Use badges to unlock a skill that is normally locked to a higher rarity for a unit (ie. unlock Death Blow 3 for a 4* Ursula so that she can learn it as a 4* instead of as a 5*). The unit still has to spend SP to learn the skill though. Badges cost increase the higher tier the skill is. (ie. Blarblade+ costs significantly more badges than Moonbow would for a 3* Odin)

Use badges to unlock a random non-default skill for a unit; use up a lot more badges to unlock a specific skill rather than a random one - badge cost increases for higher level skills (ie. Wings of Mercy 2 costs much more than Wings of Mercy 1 and requires Wings of Mercy 1 to be unlocked). The unit still has to spend SP to learn the skills and the skills cost 50% more SP just like from skill inheritance.

Use badges to recruit a hero; hero recruited is based on the color of the badges used (ie. Stahl can only be recruited using red badges). Normal badges can only recruit 1-2* heroes while Great Badges can recruit 3*, maybe 4* heroes. Can be random or spend a lot more badges to guarantee a specific unit.

After giving it some thought, the idea of using badges for summonings is sort of great.

Here is my idea:

- Monthly token badge event :)

- a set of 4 different maps

- normal, hard and lunatic difficulty

- rewards for completing the maps: summoning tokens (one token on normal - two on hard - three on lunatic)

- badges could be used as a form of stamina to enter a map (1 great badge and 10 normal badges for normal; 2 great badges/20normal for hard; 3great badges/30 normal for lunatic)

- each map would focus on a certain color of badges

- 24 tokens could be accumulated for doing all maps on all difficulties

- tokens could only be used during the event

- banners should work similarly to regular banners in regard to appearance rate

- only 4 5* units in the pool that can be summoned at 3% appearance rate

- as focus units 4 5* units demoted to 4* level (like 4* takumi; 4* Lucina, 4 Hector etc.)

What do you guys thinks about this idea? I think it could be a funny event!

I see a number of good ideas in this thread. This is what I would want them exchanged for, in order of what I want most:

1. Badges for SP
2. Badges for Feathers
3. Badges for 1*-3* pulls (normal badges, more badges spent for higher star level) and 4* pulls (Great Badges only)

Actually, you could do all of them.

Things that I think would be nice to have:

• Trade badges for feathers.
  • Trade badges for specific 3-star or 4-star characters (basically a shop where you can buy characters with badges).
    • Probably limited to characters you can get free (and maybe a few others) and are useful for skill inheritance, like Hana, Subaki, Hinata, and Shanna.
  • Trade a massive number of badges for specific 5-star characters.

Basically, the point is to make it so that players who don't get lucky with their pulls have something guaranteed that they can work for (which can help keep more players playing since they won't be as discouraged by poor pulls).

A 5-star character would probably cost maybe 1,000 great badges. Based on Falcom's numbers (and my own numbers), I'd estimate that means about 1 5-star character every month or month and a half (assuming it we don't limit it to using matching color badges, in which case it's something like 4 5-star characters every 4-6 months, which is less encouraging).

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

A 5-star character would probably cost maybe 1,000 great badges. Based on Falcom's numbers (and my own numbers), I'd estimate that means about 1 5-star character every month or month and a half (assuming it we don't limit it to using matching color badges, in which case it's something like 4 5-star characters every 4-6 months, which is less encouraging).

I've been playing pretty regularly since the game came out and I only have about 800 great badges all together. There isn't exactly a solid metric for "dedicated" playing, but I think such a reward ought to be available from 1.5 months of work. If it took 4-6 months to get the resources it wouldn't really be an incentive to keep playing, it would just be a bonus for people already invested in the game.

Buying feather/units to me are just excellent ways of improving the game longevity and means that you don't need to only rely on luck to get things.
As a full F2P player, grind options just make me more excited to continue playing and even consider spending money in the game.

I also have a huge horde of badges I've accumulated and simply don't need.

The rate of feather accumulation is much lower than the rate of badges, so we can't promote often enough to make all those badges useful.

The most elegant solution I can think of is to make it so you can trade in badges to give a unit SP.

That would not interfere with Nintendo's income, and simply allow badges to expedite grinding much like crystals and shards already do, without affecting how people spend on orbs, as you can't get SP quicker by spending (not in a direct and meaningful way, anyway).

13 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I've been playing pretty regularly since the game came out and I only have about 800 great badges all together. There isn't exactly a solid metric for "dedicated" playing, but I think such a reward ought to be available from 1.5 months of work. If it took 4-6 months to get the resources it wouldn't really be an incentive to keep playing, it would just be a bonus for people already invested in the game.

Which is exactly why I said color shouldn't matter for the 5-star shop.

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Which is exactly why I said color shouldn't matter for the 5-star shop.

I was giving my own numbers. Even combining my badges, I'd be in the "1 character per 4-6 months" group.

For me, it would be a nice idea if Badges could be used to purchase "generic" skills that you could then teach to your characters.
My concept is that they come in the form of consumable skill tomes which you can use to teach a character a skill once (they'd probably have to spend the inheritance SP price to learn them though). They can go something like:
- Red Badges: buy sword/red tome/red breath weapons, some specials, A skills
- Blue Badges: buy lance/blue tome/blue breath weapons, some specials, B skills
- Green Badges: buy axe/green tome/green breath weapons, some specials, C skills

Different skill tomes could cost a different number of Badges and/or Great Badges and could be a "budget" option to Inheritance. An example:

Skill Tome: Runesword (200 Scarlet Badges) Teaches skill: Runesword to a character
Runesword (3*, sword, MT: 9, Range: 1. When calculating damage from this unit, opponent's DEF becomes equal to their (DEF+RES)/2)

Skill Tome: Runesword+ (100 Great Scarlet Badges) Teaches skill: Runesword+ to a character
Runesword+ (5*, sword, MT: 11, Range: 1. When calculating damage from this unit, opponent's DEF becomes equal to their (DEF+RES)/2, requires Runesword)

I'm thinking that although these generic skills should not be as impressive as regular skills of the same level this would be a good budget option for those who can't afford to inherit 5* weapons.

I have an idea for the badges. what if you could up the price of the normal badges or the great badges to make the feather cost lower when premoting a unit?

Badges for SP is the only thing that makes sense to me.  Summoning would be stupid (but I'd love it).  HM would work fine but at that point they mine as well give you feathers.  Feathers don't really make sense either because then they would be basically the same thing and there'd be no point in having them.

I'd be down for SP though.

3 hours ago, Lushen said:

Badges for SP is the only thing that makes sense to me.  Summoning would be stupid (but I'd love it).  HM would work fine but at that point they mine as well give you feathers.  Feathers don't really make sense either because then they would be basically the same thing and there'd be no point in having them.

I'd be down for SP though.

Badges are currently used exclusively to unlock potential, as are feathers, so they're already redundant (besides color locking that becomes irrelevant after a certain amount of play).

If badges were made into a general currency that could be exchanged for a number of things (SP, Feathers, etc), that would be an improvement.

11 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Badges are currently used exclusively to unlock potential, as are feathers, so they're already redundant (besides color locking that becomes irrelevant after a certain amount of play).

If badges were made into a general currency that could be exchanged for a number of things (SP, Feathers, etc), that would be an improvement.

It is not redundant, other than the fact that badges are so much easier to get than feathers.  You need BOTH feathers AND badges to unlock potential. And since they come from different sources, it makes it so you need to do a variety of tasks to unlock potential, not just arena OR training tower.  However, if you make it so one can trade one for the other there is literally no point in having both and they mine as well merge them.  If it wasn't so easy to get badges and so hard to get feathers, it would make perfect sense - force you to level your units and force you to compete in arena and participate in voting gauntlet.

Badges being a general currency doesn't make a lot of sense.  They don't sound/look like a general currency and there are many different colors.  SP would work because green badges could give green units SP, etc.  But having red, green, blue, and nocolor badges and spending them on other items would defeat the purpose of having multiple colors. 

Edited by Lushen

11 minutes ago, Lushen said:

It is not redundant, other than the fact that badges are so much easier to get than feathers.  You need BOTH feathers AND badges to unlock potential. And since they come from different sources, it makes it so you need to do a variety of tasks to unlock potential, not just arena OR training tower.  However, if you make it so one can trade one for the other there is literally no point in having both and they mine as well merge them.  If it wasn't so easy to get badges and so hard to get feathers, it would make perfect sense - force you to level your units and force you to compete in arena and participate in voting gauntlet.

Between SP, Hero Merrit and EXP, you can't not do the training tower. Badges are redundant unless you're whaling and constantly upgrading units. You could convert badges to feathers now and it wouldn't change the way anyone plays.

I get the feeling at best badges would get to be exchangeable for a small amount of feathers, but I'd totally go for almost any idea mentioned. An actual shop or second way to roll (even if just for 3-4* units) would be great. They feel like such a half-baked thing in the game that I can only assume they already have some future use for them planned. It seems odd they even added those skills to the Spring characters that increase your badge count from battles when they're so worthless as-is, too. If they didn't have something else planned for them I don't see why they wouldn't have just made ranking up characters use crystals.

Edited by Alkaid