Help with FE5

Koumal8

Ok, so I picked Thracia up again after reaching chapter 5ish and dropping it because Elite Mode made things just boring. Now I'm about to seize Ch 3 throne and this time around I was able to capture that annoying mage so now I have Elfire and Meteor: what should I do with them? Is it worth selling them? Or is it enough to capture enemies to keep your weapon supply going? I just in general have no idea how much I will feel the need for gold since I'm just capturing enemies left and right for these embarassing short weapons they carry as of now.

I'm leaning on keeping Meteor because some long range magic might just be what I'll need in this hellish adventures everyone describes FE5 as, what do you think? If I leave them in the store when will I get access to them again?

I'd say sell Meteor, honestly. Keep Elfire.

As novel as a long-range magic seems, it's really not going to come in handy very often. It's not particularly strong, it doesn't have the best accuracy, and it weighs a ton. Plus, since you're only going to get 5 uses out of it, supposing you got it from an enemy that didn't have the opportunity to use it on you... It will be a very niche weapon. Most of what makes FE5 so difficult isn't stuff that can be solved by lobbing magic safely from afar. You'd rather have your units be well equipped for close combat.

That said, money's not super valuable in FE5 as it is. You get very little, but capturing makes replenishing your stocks much easier than other games.

Ultimately, your call.

You'll get access to your storage again in chapter 6. But that chapter's also an escape chapter where a super unit can chase you to the end, so you might not want to spend too much time worrying about it.

Just make sure Lifis and Leif are carrying your scrolls, and any other items you want to have immediately in chapter 4 before proceeding to chapter 4.

Edited by Slumber

Yeah, I should have guessed as much, thanks. I took a peek at all the character's base stats (loving Jugdral I had already read much about its cast) and it seems only Sety has A-Fire at base (why can't Cyas use Fire magic IS?!) and I bet I'll get another one eventually should I want to play around with it. Selling Meteor and keeping Elfire.

Will I need the money to buy promotion items? And do you suggest investing in Tanya or Ronan later? I usually train up a bow unit for flyer nuking, but these two are Wolt's level of disappointment.

9 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

Yeah, I should have guessed as much, thanks. I took a peek at all the character's base stats (loving Jugdral I had already read much about its cast) and it seems only Sety has A-Fire at base (why can't Cyas use Fire magic IS?!) and I bet I'll get another one eventually should I want to play around with it. Selling Meteor and keeping Elfire.

Will I need the money to buy promotion items? And do you suggest investing in Tanya or Ronan later? I usually train up a bow unit for flyer nuking, but these two are Wolt's level of disappointment.

Tanya. 100%.

Ronan's growths are fucked. He's built like a mage, with 55% magic growth, 15% strength growth. But there are no magic bows in the game, making him a really, really weak mage killer who can't do much else.

Tanya's not stellar, but she's solid, and if you pair her with Orsin, you basically make the best physical unit in the game even better, since she has innate support bonuses with him. Plus, all can be fixed with scrolls in this game. Give her the Baldo and Neir scrolls for a few level ups and she'll be great.

And you're not going to be buying promotion items until very late in the games. The game gives you quit a few as is, so you shouldn't worry about buying promotion items.

Edited by Slumber

You should train neither as both are mediocre units with limited long term potential.

2 minutes ago, Refa said:

You should train neither as both are mediocre units with limited long term potential.

Seconding this, if you want a bow user just still with Selfina or Dagda (he has E bows but better damage output than Tanya or Ronan will likely reach).

Selfina has instant brave bow access and a mount.

Edited by Jedi

On 5/14/2017 at 3:31 PM, Jedi said:

Seconding this, if you want a bow user just still with Selfina or Dagda (he has E bows but better damage output than Tanya or Ronan will likely reach).

Selfina has instant brave bow access and a mount.

Dagdar's not going to outdo Tanya in damage in the long run, even without scrolls. He's pretty much locked at 14 strength and 9 speed for the whole game. Tanya's not going to be a powerhouse by any means, but she'll surpass him soon after promoting, even if you promote her 5 levels early so she keeps up with Orsin.

As for Selfina, she's a solid option, but being on a mount hurts her a bit, as she'll get a strength nerf when she dismounts. It wouldn't be a huge deal, since at least she gets to stick with bows when dismounted, but she's already even weaker than Tanya is. Once that Brave Bow runs out, you're stuck with a lame duck of an Archer who's relegate to chip damage(You also don't get the Brave Bow until 6 chapters after recruiting her, so you'd have a long gap where she wouldn't be seeing much action at all). Plus, Charge can be a problem for a squishy unit like Selfina, should she ever be targeted by other bow users.

You're going to get a "meh" unit whoever you pick as a bow unit, but the passive boost Tanya gets from Orsin/the passive boost Orsin gets from Tanya makes her more appealing than the other options.

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Dagdar's not going to outdo Tanya in damage in the long run, even without scrolls. He's pretty much locked at 14 strength and 9 speed for the whole game. Tanya's not going to be a powerhouse by any means, but she'll surpass him soon after promoting, even if you promote her 5 levels early so she keeps up with Orsin.

How many levels are you putting into Tanya where shes even close to matching Dagdar, sounds like an unhealthy investment here if we are going with "solid options to help someone beat the game on their first go" and not "complete casual run".

Like everyones alright in fe5, but arguing someone over Dagdar is kind of silly.

Edited by Jedi

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

How many levels are you putting into Tanya where shes even close to matching Dagdar, sounds like an unhealthy investment here if we are going with "solid options to help someone beat the game on their first go" and not "complete casual run".

Like everyones alright in fe5, but arguing someone over Dagdar is kind of silly.

Every time we talk about FE5, it comes down to us arguing about Dagdar.

Without scrolls, she's not reaching his base strength until 20/8 (with them, maybe 2-5 levels sooner depending on how much EXP she got before the Neir scroll shows up).  The amount of time it takes for her to get to 20/8 is crazy, you'd have to feed kills to her for forever.  Also, it's not like she'll be able to use good weapons (Killers/Silvers/Braves are all locked to B rank) for a long time either, exacerbating that process (thanks, base E bows!).  And what do you get for that?  A unit who can ORKO at two range only with 2PCC and no skills, once per turn.  That's not useless, but it doesn't even compare to what Dagda's been doing forever (heck, her overall performance is more in the range of Marty than it is Dagda).  You're putting way too much stock in the "long term", when the more likely reality is that by the time she can do this, it's useless to the player.  Oh, and also?  Dagda having one range as well as Charge generally means he's STILL going to be the better unit.

Much as I think Tanya can be good when raised, that's kind of the point. Dagda matters more for gameplay in Thracia and is at a decent base from the start.

Even if he's mostly used to tank ballistae, like I'd do in lategame.

Well thanks for the support everyone, I think Selphina is the one I'm going to use most likely though, I love mounted bow users. Problem in chapter 5: a Berserker with crazy stats and a Killer Axe has just spawn and I don't think Eyvel (who by the way is stuck between Nanna and Mareeta) can take him on... How free am I to spam Grafcalibur?

Eyvel can't die in chapter 5 because of plot reason.
Just keep Nanna out of any enemy attack ranges.

Grafcalibur and earth sword are the best weapons to beat the prepromoted enemies.

Grafcalibur has 50 uses so you can use it quite frequently.
And if it should break, you can still repair it.

Edited by アリサ ラインフォルト

Eyvel can't die but she can get captured. So she absolutely can't afford to be reckless.

But you need higher con in order to capture someone. Which means that Marita can't possibly take out Eyvel. So the best way to deal with this is to get Eyvel and Nanna to the door. Because there you can only get attacked by one opponent at the time. If that opponent is Marita, Eyvel is perfectly save as Marita can't kill her and Eyvel won't counterattack. Nanna may get attacked over the walls by mages but thanks to her Res and Earth Sword, she can hold her own for a while.

Edited by BrightBow