New info on FE Warriors

31 minutes ago, familyplayer said:

I kinda understand now that part of the reason they probably want the safe bet of getting money by putting in the big games' people is that they are scared that if they put in less "recognizable" casts, more people will be estranged as many FE fans probably haven't played any Musou games and would be put off completely without many characters they know. Not probably the only reason, but just an idea. Still not a great excuse either way, but I understand that money makes the world go round whether we like it or not. Just hope that 90% of the DLC is people from other games.

...OK, I'll admit, it's funny that I'm "put off completely without many characters know".

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

I've played all of Marth's games, and have beaten both Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem.  'Course, I couldn't really "get to know" a large majority of the cast since... well, it's freakin' massive, and unlike Fates or Awakening, you can't grind skirmishes.  But I know about the big boys and girls; Hardin, Minerva, Ogma and his rhyme-scheme fighters (plus Barst), the Whitewings, Merric, Linde, the Clerics, the Christmas Cavaliers, etc.

Also, I'm definitely in the minority in this regard, since the games are mostly Japan only.  But like Unique said, it's all the rage in Japan, and I'm sure both Shadow Dragon and New Mystery helped bring the series back from the brink in Japan.

I thought Awakening was slated to be the last one period which would indicate that is was struggling everywhere.

Just now, Arthur97 said:

I thought Awakening was slated to be the last one period which would indicate that is was struggling everywhere.

It was the Tellius games that put the series there, not the remakes (okay, that's too harsh; I much prefer saying that the Wii and GameCube and poor marketing put the series there, as I actually like the Tellius games well enough).  And keep in mind I said "in Japan".  A Japanese-exclusive audience isn't enough to carry what is supposed to be a AAA series this day and age.  They probably could've continued subsisting, but I'm sure Nintendo didn't want to continue investing in a series that constantly churns out mediocre sales, which is probably why the line was drawn.  Though I'm not expert on this stuff, so maybe a good chunk of this is pure conjecture on my part.

It probably would've been more accurate to say that the DS remakes helped keep their heads above water, while Awakening straight up brought them out of the flood.  But I do know that all the Archanean games were popular in Japan.  Though like I said, the hardcore gaming market in Japan probably isn't enough to carry a franchise published by a 1st party company.  At least, not in a way that really benefits Nintendo all that much.

1 minute ago, Ertrick36 said:

It was the Tellius games that put the series there, not the remakes (okay, that's too harsh; I much prefer saying that the Wii and GameCube and poor marketing put the series there, as I actually like the Tellius games well enough).  And keep in mind I said "in Japan".  A Japanese-exclusive audience isn't enough to carry what is supposed to be a AAA series this day and age.  They probably could've continued subsisting, but I'm sure Nintendo didn't want to continue investing in a series that constantly churns out mediocre sales, which is probably why the line was drawn.  Though I'm not expert on this stuff, so maybe a good chunk of this is pure conjecture on my part.

It probably would've been more accurate to say that the DS remakes helped keep their heads above water, while Awakening straight up brought them out of the flood.  But I do know that all the Archanean games were popular in Japan.  Though like I said, the hardcore gaming market in Japan probably isn't enough to carry a franchise published by a 1st party company.  At least, not in a way that really benefits Nintendo all that much.

That fits. Though I want to add that the Wii sold incredibly well so it wasn't because of that. Now, the Wii's audience may not have been so likely to buy Fire Emblem.

4 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

That fits. Though I want to add that the Wii sold incredibly well so it wasn't because of that. Now, the Wii's audience may not have been so likely to buy Fire Emblem.

There are two factors to RD's poor sales, despite being on a console with a huge install base:

1.) Radiant Dawn also wasn't advertised like, anywhere, which REALLY hurt it.

2.) When it was advertised, it was sold as the sequel to Path of Radiance, which didn't sell well in the first place.

Edited by Slumber

4 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Also, I'm definitely in the minority in this regard, since the games are mostly Japan only.  But like Unique said, it's all the rage in Japan, and I'm sure both Shadow Dragon and New Mystery helped bring the series back from the brink in Japan.

They... did not, afaik. They sold okay-ish for handheld titles. Apparently Japan isn't crazy for Fire Emblem remakes, with Echoes' performance confirming that idea.

Edited by Cysx

19 hours ago, Slumber said:

There are two factors to RD's poor sales, despite being on a console with a huge install base:

1.) Radiant Dawn also wasn't advertised like, anywhere, which REALLY hurt it.

2.) When it was advertised, it was sold as the sequel to Path of Radiance, which didn't sell well in the first place.

It was also released alongside another major Nintendo title wasnt it? Or at least really close by to the point that Nintendo practically cannibalized itself?

After looking it up, Super Mario Galaxy released a week after Radiant Dawn did. That also didnt help their sales much, which is entirely on Nintendo there. Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance could of been pretty big. After Warcraft III's end the 2000s went through a bit of a dry spell in terms of strategy games. I cant remember a single widely successful strategy game except for maybe whatever Civ game released at that time. Fire Emblem could of cleaned house if it was given a good amount of advertisement and a better release time that wouldnt of paired it up with the next big Mario game releasing just a week later.

Edited by Tolvir

58 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

It was also released alongside another major Nintendo title wasnt it? Or at least really close by to the point that Nintendo practically cannibalized itself?

After looking it up, Super Mario Galaxy released a week after Radiant Dawn did. That also didnt help their sales much, which is entirely on Nintendo there. Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance could of been pretty big. After Warcraft III's end the 2000s went through a bit of a dry spell in terms of strategy games. I cant remember a single widely successful strategy game except for maybe whatever Civ game released at that time. Fire Emblem could of cleaned house if it was given a good amount of advertisement and a better release time that wouldnt of paired it up with the next big Mario game releasing just a week later.

There was Disgaea, but the use of "strategy" is pretty loose with that franchise.

25 minutes ago, Slumber said:

There was Disgaea, but the use of "strategy" is pretty loose with that franchise.

True, but I wouldnt exactly call them a huge hit. More of a cult following with them than anything. Not that Fire Emblem would of been either, but with how small that market was at the time they certainly would of brought something fresh and could of really made some money considering the environment at the time.

Not a dog on Disgea though, I like those games. But I didnt even know of their existence until a few years ago. They are larger in the JRPG circles, and even then they are kind of a niche. Most people that I know that have talked about them or played them are people on this site. Outside of that I could probably count on one hand.

2 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

True, but I wouldnt exactly call them a huge hit. More of a cult following with them than anything. Not that Fire Emblem would of been either, but with how small that market was at the time they certainly would of brought something fresh and could of really made some money considering the environment at the time.

Not a dog on Disgea though, I like those games. But I didnt even know of their existence until a few years ago. They are larger in the JRPG circles, and even then they are kind of a niche. Most people that I know that have talked about them or played them are people on this site. Outside of that I could probably count on one hand.

I enjoy Disgaea, but it is one of the least tactcal games that uses a grid that I've ever played. A lot of time you can just screw around with the mechanics until you find out what you like, then just spam that mechanic and win fairly easily until the game needs you to grind.

Edited by Slumber

Just now, Slumber said:

I enjoy Disgaea, but it is one of the least tactcal games that use grids that I've ever played. A lot of time you can just screw around with the mechanics until you find out what you like, then just spam that mechanic and win fairly easily until the game needs you to grind.

Pretty much. I consider it among those games that you play when you just want to kick back and relax. Especially considering its comedic nature.

10 minutes ago, DaloDask said:

I don't know if anyone's linked this yet, but here's a full translation of that famitsu interview that everyone bullet points.

It's more detailed than the bullet points everyone uses, so have a read.

Good find! Indeed, had they not restricted what games they could pull from, they'd likely have flooded the roster with protagonists from each game, the majority wielding swords, which would have been detrimental for the weapon triangle that they're implementing. 

Judging by that read, we're likely getting all the protagonists from the three games with the rest picked to rep the standard FE classes. Also, from the read, maybe we're not seeing a class system in the traditional sense, but that the characters picked will fight in a way that emulates the traditional classes of Fire Emblem while still keeping traits unique to them.

3 minutes ago, Motendra said:

"Being called by the Fire Shield in this world and coming here by crossing dimensions"

inb4 the plot becomes Fate/Stay Night

I'd say Fate/Grand Order's a better comparison given the scale

Great find. So, they're aiming for a balance between weapon types and the weapon triangle will indeed be a pretty big deal. That last bit on Pegasus Knights...my guess is that their flying ability would be somewhat limited (as in having a stamina meter of sorts for flying and your mount would have to land to refill it). 

Edited by Lord-Zero

That's a great interview. It really puts the choices for developing the game into perspective, and makes me glad they went that route.

It also makes some posts in the early pages of this thread downright embarrassing. I can understand disappointment, but some people knee-jerked really badly to this info.

Looks like we are getting a good bit of characters. They already stated in that interview that the amount of characters being prepped for FE Warriors is more  than any other Warriors collaboration. Can't wait to see who we get.

It's nice to know that the roster will be a nice size. Still really disappointing that we might not see super loved characters like Ike, Hector, Ephraim, and Lyn, but yeah. :(

I really like the idea of Ike getting a fully voiced role too...

1 hour ago, Tolvir said:

Looks like we are getting a good bit of characters. They already stated in that interview that the amount of characters being prepped for FE Warriors is more  than any other Warriors collaboration. Can't wait to see who we get.

Kind of entertaining how it just seemed to be one of those, "Can we have him?" "How about her?" and instead of, "No, we need to keep it small." they decided on, "Sure, let's do it!" I'm also hoping that part of the new movements means they're willing to take liberties with movesets.

13 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Kind of entertaining how it just seemed to be one of those, "Can we have him?" "How about her?" and instead of, "No, we need to keep it small." they decided on, "Sure, let's do it!" I'm also hoping that part of the new movements means they're willing to take liberties with movesets.

For a lot of SD/NM characters they don't really have a choice.

Super hyped to see if they can make Medeus the best like Ganondorf in Hyrule Warriors.

1 minute ago, DaloDask said:

For a lot of SD/NM characters they don't really have a choice.

Super hyped to see if they can make Medeus the best like Ganondorf in Hyrule Warriors.

Ganondorf is one of them most fun to play, but I don't think that style will fit well with Madeus. For one, since Fire Emblem lacks one consistent villain, I'm not convinced we'll get a super villain like Hyrule Warriors got.

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

Ganondorf is one of them most fun to play, but I don't think that style will fit well with Madeus. For one, since Fire Emblem lacks one consistent villain, I'm not convinced we'll get a super villain like Hyrule Warriors got.

Human!Grima could fit Ganondorf's role pretty well I think. Slow, but wide and hard-hitting area attacks that look awesome with the power of darkness! I'm really hoping Grima's human form makes it in and even has an alt costume to fit with its counterpart.

Otherwise, there is Garon, but flashy dark spell effects seem cooler than slimy goop axes. Unless they just transform Garon into a Ganondorf character (I think he can use dark magic alongside his axe), so that may be cool to see as well.

As for Shadow Dragon & New Mystery, I have no idea.