Social Groups

Cynthia

Is there a social group mod for IPB?

I know VBulletin has one, but does IPB?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it's sort of like a club system. You can choose to have it invite only, or anyone can join, or people must be moderated to join. You set up clubs to talk about specific subjects, and have get-togethers with the other members. It makes it easier than posting a topic for a club meeting or group meeting in the forums, and everyone spamming it.

It'd be great for say a ton of people who have interest in sports, so they can discuss games and such with other sports lovers.

It wouldn't slow down the forums too much, as the GENERAL subjects, such as "sports in general," would take place in the forums, but more in depth discussion could happen in the groups.

Plus people could use them to organize projects they are working on in secret with a group. It would be safe, as moderators can still check all groups, and would be a huge help to those who don't have messengers.

That's a very vague description of it, but hopefully you get the idea.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably don't need a mod for it.

I remember groups/clubs on an ancient forum that I use to co-admin. It was a terrible terrible terrible failure.

It could be different here, but still...

Ooi, please Vincy, lets have clubs, lets do. My thoughts are that it would be kind of fun having the members belong to a certain club. There could be rules, gains, prizes, etc. I'm sure it would be a hit. XD

Does my Writers Club classify as one of these clubs?

Yes it would.

And Vincent perhaps we can discuss it in private about how it could be set up, and how to make it work sometime?

Edited by Cynthia

Well I wanna make sure it's POSSIBLE first, and you're one of the two people who have access to test such things like this.

And mostly they can be Adam, at least on other forums, the question is how do we set such a thing up and maintain it.

I am very useful in teh CP, and I know some stuff, but that is not for me to decide. However, I could help by advicing you guys here with the groups. I use to run a forum a year ago, and we had groups, it was a success until one of the members jacked the forum and sent it to oblivion. ^^ But I do know some stuff on groups. Regardless, if this is validated, I want in in several clubs :D

Oh, ok.

Well, let us start simple...What exactly do you have planned for the groups? What activities, what rewards, what rules, etc, will all this have? You gotta have a strong system in order to get the members attention.

Well obviously group leaders can kick people from the group, and moderate who joins, if they choose to not let it be a public group. Maybe a small page that is automatically made for the group to comment on, great for meetings and such.

Also if not too much trouble perhaps a ranking system that can be customized by the group creator.

Also all groups can have specific rules as long as they do not violate the site's rules.

Edited by Cynthia

lol, dude that's more like an RPG. But having groups doesn't sound too bad. We might be able to make it work. I'll talk to Vincent about it. I'm really curious as to why it didn't work out on another forum.

lol, dude that's more like an RPG. But having groups doesn't sound too bad. We might be able to make it work. I'll talk to Vincent about it. I'm really curious as to why it didn't work out on another forum.

Well, I do know there IS an RPG mod available for IPB, but that wasn't what I was thinking of.

Well obviously group leaders can kick people from the group, and moderate who joins, if they choose to not let it be a public group. Maybe a small page that is automatically made for the group to comment on, great for meetings and such.

Also if not too much trouble perhaps a ranking system that can be customized by the group creator.

Also all groups can have specific rules as long as they do not violate the site's rules.

You can do most of that through use of the CP. However, if it is gonna be a public group and the leaders not able to use the cp or Mod options, then the group leader itself has to take care of making most of that through use of his/her skills.

The groups I commanded one time had prestige and awards and all that stuff. We all had our own group logo and lobbies, where only members of that particular group were allowed to go in and post, the others could not. This, as you say, Cynthia, was great for group meetings. In there we would discuss strategy for a certain event, we would discuss who was gonna do what and we would discuss alot of stuff in there.

The activities I ran there were the following:

Art Contest, Writing Contest, Mug Contest, Sprite Contest, group Art Creation, group story contest, siggy weekly contest. Aside from that, we had games, arcades, quizzes and other stuff. It was so active that I found my hands full of stuff to do as an Administrator. But I'll tell you this, I made the group thing work like hell. :D It wast the best damn forum I ever made, and I had like 50 members. the site was called The Game Club, but I deleted it once some member jacked control of it and made a mess.

One thing is for certain, though. When you have a good guy who knows what he/she is doing, things go well.

Well also groups could have emblems that could be displayed somewhere either in their profiles, or other places. Also awards are possible too.

Yes, that is the best damn part of the group thingy, to be able to show off what club you belong to and how many awards you have as a member. XD

Well also groups could have emblems that could be displayed somewhere either in their profiles, or other places. Also awards are possible too.

That's what I was thinking of. However, I was thinking of having the group leader pick a laguz tribe, starting with the bird tribes, to represent their group.

That's what I was thinking of. However, I was thinking of having the group leader pick a laguz tribe, starting with the bird tribes, to represent their group.

Well it would limit the amount of emblems available, but that is a good idea, and would keep the system relating to the site's title.

Perhaps groups can go up ranks, such as the Herons, Royals, and such that we have for user groups?

Also some limitations on who can start group, as otherwise there will be far too many.

Edited by Cynthia