Miledy - Yes

Zeiss - I suppose

Heath - Yes

Vaida - I don't think so

Cormag - I don't remember

Jill - Yes

Haar - I don't remember

Often enough, yes.

Vaida- I think Vaida was branded a traitor of Bern somewhere along the lines despite her loyalty to Bern. "Some rumors say that Vaida died at the hands of Bern forces."

Cormag- I'm pretty sure Cormag was a traitor to Grado after he joined Ephraim/Eirika. In fact, I think quite a few of his supports touch upon the fact.

Haar- Well...Haar left Begnion with Shiharam and went to Daein, so I suppose some may have considered him a traitor to Begnion. And despite the fact that he was only pretending to be on Daein's side after the "Shiharam incident", technically, he is a Daein traitor

And that's my intake on all of this...

Altenna - Don't remember

Miledy - Yes

Zeiss - I suppose

Heath - Yes

Vaida - I don't think so

Cormag - I don't remember

Jill - Yes

Haar - I don't remember

Often enough, yes.

Cormag was.

and Haar was a traitor too, in a way.

Vaida was a traitor.

i'm not sure about Altenna, though. haven't played anything on the SNES or before.

perhaps Minerva too, if you considered Misheil the ruler of Macedonia

Edited by Troy of Troy

Jill and Haar are both traitors and not traitors at the same time. Their situations change from Path of Radiance to Radiant Dawn.

In Jill's case, she's fighting on the side of Micaiah to retake Daein from Begnion, which means that she joins as an ally of her country. Haar's thrown away all allegiances and become a courier, so he doesn't necessarily betray anyone in RD (unless you count his past affiliation with the Dracoknights of Begnion).

Well, the reason is this, I believe:

The enemy nation is ALWAYS the one with Dragon Knights. Dragon Knights are usually a pretty big part of the enemies army.

thus the point of this thread

why is it always the dragon knight nation the enemy nation?

why couldn't it be the "nice" pegasus knight nation, or the "nice" cavalier nation, or the "nice" magic user nation?

I think that may be due to the fact that Dragon Knights themselves don't appear until later in the games, in most cases. Also, with the exception of Jill and Haar in parts one and two of FE10, respectively, the first ally Dragon Knight doesn't appear until fairly late in the game.

Edited by The Blind Archer

I think that may be due to the fact that Dragon Knights themselves don't appear until later in the games, in most cases. Also, with the exception of Jill and Haar in parts one and two of FE10, respectively, the first ally Dragon Knight doesn't appear until fairly late in the game.

but why is that?

i hate the fact that dragon knights are always portrayed as enemies and the recruitable units always have to betray their country. they should make a game where its different. the nation with the dragon knights should be one of the "good" nations, just to be different.

maybe the evil nation should be the pegasus knights nation, that would be awesome!

EDIT: they kinda did this with RD, but it wasn't enough to compensate at least 6 games where dragon knights were evil

Edited by Troy of Troy

Dragons are generally evil in FE because of the time period they choose to portray.

Admittedly, I made Dragon Knights in my would be(maybe will be) mod without even considering it.

But I'd like another flying mount.

Also, FE10 does have the evil nation as the Peg Knight's home. Although they don't actually ally themselves with the Villain.

1-6-1 in RD isn't enough, IMO. You still have the Imperial Pegasus Knights as good guy...I mean, gals and the Dracoknights are still lead by evil congressmen. Not to mention the box art, even though there's no enemy wyvern rider anywhere in Part 1 (except Shifu Swamp, but that map should've been buried in New Mexico)

Altenna - Don't remember

Alteena was kidnapped by Tribant

after he had killed her parents years back. How could a girl who didn't know about the murders of her true parents betray her "national"?

I think the only Dragon Knights who never betrayed their nation were Edda and Dean of Fire Emblem 5.

FE3 book 1: Minerva would probably count as a traitor since Macedonia pretty much worked for Durhua while she joined Marth's group.

FE4: I wouldn't say Altenna's a traitor because of the reasons posted above.

FE5: Neither of the 2 are traitors.

FE6: Miledy's a traitor to Bern but she's been loyal to Guinevere only. Zeiss

was gonna be used as Narshen's scapegoat so it's not like he had much of a choice

FE7: Heath and Vaida are pretty much traitors. Vaida being the lesser of the of the 2 since she was mostly loyal to Zephiel.

FE8: Cormag's a traitor.

FE9: Jill's a traitor to Daein but not to her father. Doesn't seem like Haar was ever loyal to any country to begin with, he's just loyal to Shiharam

FE10: Jill's pretty much a traitor if she's joining Ike's mercenaries even though her reasons are very valid (imo). Again, Haar doesn't seem like he's loyal to any country, just to Shiharam. Heck if I were a Dracoknight/mercenary working for an empire infested with Senators like that, I'd leave without hesitation.

Edited by Boo

If you really want to get into it, there's common themes among all the classes. Intelligent Systems isn't incredibly creative when it comes to character design for people not directly related to the game's main story. They follow certain archtypes for all the others.

Yeah, all the dragon knights tend to be enemy units that join your party. In the English releases, you've got Heath in FE7, and then Vaida who is an enemy general at one point. In FE8, you've got Cormag, brother to one of the enemy nation's generals, that betrays his country in order to get revenge. In FE9, you've got Jill, a staunch defender of Daein, that realizes the nation is corrupt upon witnessing the dragons dislodge your ship from the rocks, and then Haar, who abandons his military duty to Daein because Shihiram was killed and has the hots for Jill.

The pre-promote swordmaster in every game tends to be overly aloof with a very mysterious background that even through supports is only mildly explained. Karel in FE6 and 7, Stefan in FE9 and 10. Karla fits the female swordmaster stereotype they've created, someone that just wants to prove how badass women can be. Marisa and Mia are like that as well. Lucia is the only one in the English releases I can think of that doesn't really fit any of the swordmaster stereotypes, but then again she's also one of the main characters plot-wise.

The first pegasus knight that joins you is usually pretty frail and left her own country for some reason. Florina is trying to become a full-fledged pegasus knight in her own country, Marcia is looking for her brother. Vanessa is kind of bland (yay for retainers to the throne in all the FE games being kind of boring) but Tana sort of fits the bill.

There's usually a prodigy mage that's very pessimistic (Erk and Soren, with Lute kind of fitting the same archtype), pre-promote Sages that seem to know everything and never let on what exactly it is they know (Pent, Saleh, Bastian), the axe guy that's extremely proud of how powerful he is but also happens to be slightly stupid (Bartre, Dozla, Boyd, Largo).

I think everyone here acknowledges the red/green cavalier duo by now, so I won't really go into that one. I'm just saying, if you want to link units to past units in previous FE games, I bet there's someone pretty much just like them.

Because dragons look more evil then pegasus knights and because they want to try to make challenging enemies. Imagine seeing Ashnard riding a cute little pegasus XD.

That would be bizarre. Looking at the size of Ashnard he probably might crush the pegasus knight :blink:

Edited by Luxord