Every Fire Emblem game should have PvP multiplayer

Jotari

Every Fire Emblem game should have PvP multiplayer  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Every Fire Emblem game should have PvP multiplayer

• Agreed!
    • Disagree!

So this is one of the things I complained about when Awakening first came out. Shadow Dragon had proper player versus player combat. And even online (although the lack of internet supporting the DS in my area made that more of a tease than a boon)! It was fun. And then Awakening gave us live coop with Friends and but lacked the ability to actually play against them. Even the live co-op was pretty underwhelming from what I remember, as there was no map, so it was just a matter of sitting there and seeing if your units were strong enough to beat the enemies. But even then, I still had fun when I was playing it with a friend. The major argument against proper multiplayer in Awakening, is that it would be way too unbalanced. Whoever got to move first would immediately galeforce, waste the enemy. And that's a pretty valid point. It would be monstrously unbalanced.

But here's the thing, I don't care. I'd love a proper balanced Fire Emblem multiplayer,  so good it has a competitive meta game. But a mode like that would require so much work, it would detract from the main campaign, and that's not something I want. But a multiplayer mode implemented in a week that doesn't detract from the main game? Hell yeah! Give me that. There was a time in the late nineties and early two thousands when a lot of games did this. They just threw on a multiplayer mode because they could. Even Metroid had a multiplayer! And that series practically only has one character. But then, at some point, games started being heavily judged by their multiplayer modes, when they were essentially a bonus feature. Having no multiplayer became preferable to having a bad multiplayer. Which just isn't a mantra I subscribe to. I say bring back the era of trashy multiplayer modes! Just give us the option and we'll self-balance ourselves (no Galeforce/no Hunter's Volley). Being balanced is great. But being fun is even better. And every time I've tried to play with or against another real person in Fire Emblem, it's been a tonne of fun.

Edited by Jotari

I'd have no objections if Fire Emblem decided to include PvP in each game from this point onward, but I don't think it's needed. If you ask me, Fire Emblem is a single-player experience first and any bonus online functionality is second in terms of importance.

Ehhh. I don't play FE to play against others, so I don't really care. I can only imagine being in a match with someone who's taking forever to decide what to do during their turn and vice-versa. Matches could take forever.

3 hours ago, Johann said:

I'd rather have co-op

And I think co-op would be nothing but a mistake, to say it bluntly.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

6 hours ago, Johann said:

I'd rather have co-op

Same tbh. Both of you bring a small team into a map to clear objectives or rout the enemy. On player phase, you're both moving your units in real time, and then you end your turn when your done. Once both players end their turn, move on to enemy phase.  They should also give limited communication in the form of pinging enemies and units on the other guy's team. Watching somebody play Fire Emblem and working together what to do is surprisingly fun, but it's never comfortable to do that unless you've got Fire Emblem on the big screen.

I feel people aren't getting what I'm saying. No, it's not needed, but if there's development time, it should be thrown in. I'd rather have it over the likes of Awakening's Co-op.

Edited by Jotari

13 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I feel people aren't getting what I'm saying. No, it's not needed, but if there's development time, it should be thrown in. I'd rather have it over the likes of Awakening's Co-op.

Oh, I get it alright - by which I mean that I get that it's a bad idea, that is.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

36 minutes ago, Jotari said:

No, it's not needed, but if there's development time, it should be thrown in. I'd rather have it over the likes of Awakening's Co-op.

I still wouldn't want it, as I'd still get feeling that it would end up being tacked on. That, and I'd much rather prefer that they use any spare development time for polishing the main game to the fullest, rather than focusing on, what is essentially, a side mode.

The only time I'd be happy for a FE multiplayer game, would be if it was intended to be a multiplayer game from the start.

12 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Hell no. PvP would be a mistake. And it largely was in the games that did have it...

I don't remember seeing anything in the way of negativity regarding the GBA Link Arena.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

42 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I don't remember seeing anything in the way of negativity regarding the GBA Link Arena.

Because people don't talk much about it, right?

No, I don't see the reason for PvP in the mainline FE games any more then in Heroes as they both have the same problems. The person who moves first is likely going to lose, matches will take forever, and it makes it so that there are only a small number of viable builds you can really have (if you want to win in multiplayer). FE is better served as a single player game first, with cooperative side content like the Fates castle systems. I don't mind the AI battles much because the AI doesn't suffer from the first two problems I mentioned making the third not that bad to deal with.