Weapon Refinery Upgrades You Would Like to See?

Ae†her

What weapons would you like to see added to the Weapon Refinery process, and if so what specific upgrades would you like to see as well? Or maybe you just want to see different types of upgrades in general added to Weapon Refinery, whatever it is feel free to share here.

Personally I would like to see Weapon Refinery upgrades such as the HP+5/+2, Atk/Spd+3/+2, Def/Res+4/+3 added to nearly everything even legendary weapons, with the exception of Firesweep Weapons and Brave Weapons since they already offer so much offensive power, and having some of the upgrades such as Atk and Spd would unbalance the requirements needed to use these weapons effectively. Maybe they could just add a HP+5 though to Firesweep and Brave weapons. DC weapons could get special effects, but I think leaving the other stat boosts out is for the best.

As for more specific upgrades:

- Cymbeline - still needs a boost, and I'm surprised they didn't immediately give it a better special effect. I think a good boost up as a Special Effect for Cymbeline would be "After combat, all allies gain Atk+6 through their next actions."

- Gronn/Blar/Raudr/blade - The Blade Tome is very powerful, and well balanced by slowing the Special trigger of the user, however I think it still deserves (non offensive) stat boosts to help units match up against higher BST ranged units. I think as a special effect it can lose the cooldown count+1, in exchange for not offering any HP or stat boosts, similar to Keen Gronnwolf+.

- Sieglinde - I think a good special effect that works well for Eirika, is one in which if Eirika can get a Desperation effect if she can follow-up while at HP >/= 90%. Or maybe something better, but I just know she needs something.

- Raijinto - Special Effect: Grants HP+3. Unit gains Atk+4 when under attack, in addition to being able to DC.

- Ragnell - Special Effect: HP+3. Gives Guard 2/3 effect in addition to being able to DC. (I think same with Alondite would also be fine.)

- Siegfried - Special Effect: Grants HP+3. Def+4 when foe initiates combat. DC.

- Gradivus - This one seriously deserves a Renewal 3 effect in my opinion, in addition to being able to DC.

- Falchion - Can't DC, so I think it's fair (even though origin-wise Gungnir deserves this ability more) to give Falchion user's the equivalent of Arvis's Recovery Ring. My logic is that Falchion user's should already be effective at self restoration without the need for a Renewal 3 skill since they're sacrificing a lot of better skills for it. Yes, they do have the special effectiveness against dragon ability, but that's just one perk compared to other weapons that have practically two A skills in them (cough--cough--Ayra).

Edit: Some other more necessary ones

- Brynhildr - After combat, if unit attacked, prevents target and foes within 2 spaces of target from moving more than 1 space through their next actions.

- Binding Blade - Grants HP+3. Def/Res+5 when under attack. and Maybe DC as the Effect Upgrade.

- Yato -> Omega Yato - Disables unit's skills that increases unit's stats. Grants Atk/Spd/Def/Res+2. / Blazing Yato - Disables unit's skills that increases unit's stats. Grants Atk/Spd+4. / Shadow Yato - Disables unit's skills that increases unit's stats. Grants Def/Res+4.

- Audhulma - Needs HP+Stat boosts.

- Eckesachs - Inflicts Def-5 on foes within 2 spaces through their next actions at the start of each turn. + Either Distant Counter or Panic Ploy 3.

- Folkvangr - Grants Atk+5 at start of turn if unit's HP ≤ 80%.

- Fensalir - Inflicts Atk-5 on foes within 3 spaces through their next actions at the start of each turn.

- Noatun - Wings of Mercy 3 (Effect) + Escape Route 3

- Regal Blade - If foe's HP is 100%, unit receives Atk/Spd/Def/Res+4 during combat.

Edited by Logos

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the idea of blade tomes or distant counter weapons getting more powerful than they already are. They're trying to balance things and improving those weapons would be counterproductive to that.

Eirika's weapon not getting a boost is ridiculous though.

The Askr Trio definitely deserves an upgrade. 

Falchion could use an upgrade. 10 HP every turn (we already have a skill for it, so why not).

Corrin's Yato just got power-creept by Siegbert's Dark Greatsword.

Byrnhildr needs the Gravity+ AOE debuff.

Binding Blade, please! 

Seiglinde needs an upgrade to complete the pair.

Eckasachs (Zephiel). The big bad Zephiel needs a big bad weapon.

Yato, Regal Blade, and Askr Trio weapons (especially Fólkvangr) should also get refined. Although this is pretty unlikely since they've technically already got their upgrades, I'd like to see actual upgrades to Durandal, Tyrfing, Naga, Aura, and Excaliber. If refined Seigmund can get Hone Atk 3, why not give refined Aura Breath of Life 3 too? Death Blow 3 on Durandal might a little too broken, but Fury 6 also exists now. I personally want an upgrade to raventomes (maybe +2 def/res when attacked?), but they're already pretty strong so I doubt it would actually happen.

26 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

I don't like the idea of blade tomes or distant counter weapons getting more powerful than they already are. They're trying to balance things and improving those weapons would be counterproductive to that.

Yeah, but if you think about it, DC weapons are just 16Mt weapons with Distant Counter Skill in the weapon, that's the equivalent of one A skill. A ton of newer weapons are already coming out with more than just that, and with higher BST than the typical amount for DC Weapon Units. If not a special effect, at least stat boosts should be there. As for Bladetomes, I think the effect I mentioned was too much, but I still think these weapons deserve the ability to increase the stats of units so that they can match up to the higher BST ranged units coming out.

Also yeah Eirika got canned, shame IS. Although to be fair even I'm not sure what a good effect skill would be that makes sense for Eirika and her weapon.

Nidhogg upgraded to either +2 Atk/Spd/Def/Res for every ally within 2 squares or +3 Atk/Spd/Def/Res for every ally within 1 square as its unique refine.

Parthia upgraded from Warding Blow 2 to Res +5 for its base effect and 50% damage reduction from an opposing tome user's first attack as its unique refine.

Noatun upgraded from Escape Route 2 to Escape Route 3 for its base effect and Wings of Mercy 3 as its unique refine.

Eckesachs upgraded from Threaten Def 2 to Def Ploy 3 with an HP comparison instead of a Res comparison for its base effect and Blizzard's special effect as its unique refine.

1 hour ago, Logos said:

The Blade Tome is very powerful,

Which is why it doesn't have a refinery upgrade.

1 hour ago, Logos said:

and well balanced by slowing the Special trigger of the user,

No, it really isn't. The fact that all of my Litrblade users function pretty much identically without a special skill equipped at all says otherwise.

Edited by Ice Dragon

10 minutes ago, Logos said:

Yeah, but if you think about it, DC weapons are just 16Mt weapons with Distant Counter Skill in the weapon, that's the equivalent of one A skill.

Perhaps but the skill is so good that it mitigates that. If you want to give them something else just for the sake of them having two effects, it should be something really small. You're giving them an HP boost and a third tier secondary effect and the DC weapons are already better in my view than most weapons that were improved even without that.

I don't like it and I suspect IS doesn't either (so much that they're holding on re-releasing Camus/Xander). 

Edited by Vince777

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

No, it really isn't. The fact that all of my Litrblade users function pretty much identically without a special skill equipped at all says otherwise.

Did I say "Well-Balanced"? Whoops, I meant somewhat balanced at least it prevents Specials from procing on a round of combat without the use of Heavy Blade 3 (Flashing Blade 3 potentially), oh -- almost forgot -- Infantry Pulse. I'd still like to see Def, Res and HP options for it though just to match up to the boosts of other weapons.

8 minutes ago, Logos said:

I'd still like to see Def, Res and HP options for it though just to match up to the boosts of other weapons.

Litrblade is already functionally equivalent to a Silver (tome) weapon refined with +8~24 Mt instead of +2 HP/+2 Mt.

Edited by Ice Dragon

I definitely agree with all the sentiment that the Askr Trio weapons and Sieglinde should be able to be forged. Not sure what to do with them, but they need something.

Other weapons I'd like to see forged are:

The Binding Blade - the titular weapon of the game of the same name, and from what my friend tells me it basically allows Roy to break his game in half once he gets it. In heroes it's been power-crept super hard. A forged Silver Sword is better in some ways. Not sure how to upgrade it, myself, but that friend of mine really wants to see DC on it (I guess it had 1-2 range in it's game?)

Yato - also a victim of power creep. Just compare it to Ayra's Blade - Darting Blow 2, or SPD+3 and Flashing Blade all the time. A thought I had is giving it an unconditional 2 to all stats as an upgrade to the Omega Yato, and maybe throw in Guard 3 as well (It also grants Corrin 10 critical evade in Fates)

Excalibur - I know you can just replace it with Dark Excalibur, but it's still its own weapon. I'd be happy with it just getting the ability to forge stats onto it, but if they wanted to give it something unique, they could give it Nullify Flier Buffs in the same vein as the Armor and Horse slaying weapons.

Aura - Same reason as Excalibur, I rather enjoy using Linde as a pseudo-medic, so I'm not switching to Dark Aura. Maybe upgrade it to Breath of Life 3, and/or extend its effect to 2 squares like Absorb+

Brynhidlr - Power-crept by Gravity+. As a legendary weapon, I think it could at minimum use the 2 square radius Gravity+ gets, and if it gets something nifty, give it Reduce the first magic attack recieved by 50% damage like Divine Tyrfing. It has a chance of doing exactly that in Fates

On a non-legendary side, I'd love to see the Guard Naginata added to the game as an upgrade somewhere. Just give it Close DEF 3 in the same way Guard Bow has Distant DEF 3

There are more, but those are the main ones I've thought about actively.

Edited by Tarilaan

26 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

1 minute ago, Vince777 said:

Perhaps but the skill is so good that it mitigates that. If you want to give them something else just for the sake of them having two effects, it should be something really small. You're giving them an HP boost and a third tier secondary effect and the DC weapons are already better in my view than most weapons that were improved even without that.

I don't like it and I suspect IS doesn't either. 

DC isn't the be-all-end-all it used to be. Sure, a lot of units still like it, but it doesn't make a decent unit (Fjorm, Camus, Xander) great. None of them would be especially broken with a second effect added on. The others probably don't need it as much.

2 minutes ago, WyvernQueen said:

Yato, Regal Blade, and Askr Trio weapons (especially Fólkvangr) should also get refined. Although this is pretty unlikely since they've technically already got their upgrades, I'd like to see actual upgrades to Durandal, Tyrfing, Naga, Aura, and Excaliber. If refined Seigmund can get Hone Atk 3, why not give refined Aura Breath of Life 3 too? Death Blow 3 on Durandal might a little too broken, but Fury 6 also exists now. I personally want an upgrade to raventomes (maybe +2 def/res when attacked?), but they're already pretty strong so I doubt it would actually happen.

Durandal having DB3 probably wouldn't be all that broken. It's only +2 over regular Durandal.

Definitely seconding blade tomes not needing a boost. Those things are disgustingly powerful already.

I would be extremely careful about boosting blade tomes in any way. If anything I feel like Brave and Firesweep weapons deserve the power creep long before Blade tomes. 

But before any of that, yeah obviously there's plenty of personal weapons that need a re-evaluation. And no, you won't have the divine dew to pay for any of the upgrades. Distant Counter weapons are still great though. And so are the Falchions until they add dragon slaying weapons or skills. In the case of Falchion, maybe build a different type of "Exalted/Parallel/Regal/Valentian" Falchion upgrade that's geared specifically to those character's niches. 

Edited by Glennstavos

14 minutes ago, Tarilaan said:

Not sure how to upgrade it, myself, but that friend of mine really wants to see DC on it (I guess it had 1-2 range in it's game?)

Binding Blade in the original game had 1-2 range, +5 Def and +5 Res when equipped, effective damage against dragons, and could be used as an item to restore 30 HP.

It's basically a souped up Falchion (1 range, effective damage against dragons, and could be used as an item to restore 10 HP), but Falchion in Heroes got effective damage against dragons and Renewal 2, whereas Binding Blade only got +2 Def and +2 Res on enemy phase.

Falchion used to give invincibility for Marth which is hilariously good when yo remember Marth also have provoke basically trivializing any Melee enemy in the game. It was pretty useless despite that though since you can warpskip the late game of fe1 and Falchion isnt effective against Dragon

I don't know about specifics, but I'd like to see the DC weapons get something to distinguish them from being, for all intents and purposes, reskins. For example, in Fates, Ryoma's and Xander's swords were functionally the same, but Raijinto gives +4 to Strength and Siegfried gives +4 to Defense so at least there's some noticeable distinction between the two aside from design. I'd also like to see something of a similar manner happen to the Falchions since there are 4 different characters that use the same exact one.

6 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Falchion used to give invincibility for Marth which is hilariously good when yo remember Marth also have provoke basically trivializing any Melee enemy in the game. It was pretty useless despite that though since you can warpskip the late game of fe1 and Falchion isnt effective against Dragon

FE1 doesn't exist because it's fucking impossible to play Fire Emblem with only 2 buttons.

5 minutes ago, Kurrin said:

I don't know about specifics, but I'd like to see the DC weapons get something to distinguish them from being, for all intents and purposes, reskins. For example, in Fates, Ryoma's and Xander's swords were functionally the same, but Raijinto gives +4 to Strength and Siegfried gives +4 to Defense so at least there's some noticeable distinction between the two aside from design. I'd also like to see something of a similar manner happen to the Falchions since there are 4 different characters that use the same exact one.

If my understanding of the game structure is correct, there are actually 3 different Falchion weapons in this game, one for each weapon sprite.

There's also just the fact that Falchion weapons are so functionally similar across games (effective damage against whatever enemy is ailing the continent and some means of self-healing) that there's no real need to differentiate them.

Still not sure why Binding Blade doesn't have DC. 

George really needs something too. Even if its just a damge/stat buff.

Regal Blade should definitely have something. I was considering upgrading Lloyd to 5* when the refinery first hit. Glad I checked to see if he actually got anything before I did.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

FE1 doesn't exist because it's fucking impossible to play Fire Emblem with only 2 buttons.

If my understanding of the game structure is correct, there are actually 3 different Falchion weapons in this game, one for each weapon sprite.

There's also just the fact that Falchion weapons are so functionally similar across games (effective damage against whatever enemy is ailing the continent and some means of self-healing) that there's no real need to differentiate them.

Doesnt stop divekick Kappa

But is it seriously two button? Not two button and LR?

4 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Doesnt stop divekick Kappa

Divekick isn't Fire Emblem.

5 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

But is it seriously two button? Not two button and LR?

It's actually 4 buttons: A, B, Start, and Select.

50 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

I don't like it and I suspect IS doesn't either (so much that they're holding on re-releasing Camus/Xander). 

DC is good, but I feel like you're saying it's good because it's rare. It's great, but no one A Skill is 100% better than another, each one has it's perks. Also the HP+3 boost happens whenever you upgrade a legendary weapon to it's special effect. If it was not a special effect, and just a regular boost it would be HP+5.

One weirdish one is Cursed Lance. It's got half Fury 2's boosts with Fury 2's full kickback. It used to be more justifiable since it was also a killer weapon, but Eldigan's got full Fury 3 on a killer weapon. Can't we give Valter the +2 def and res? Or give him half Fury 3, so +3 attack and speed for 4 hp after combat.

Edited by bottlegnomes

Regnal Blade should get some update, maybe getting a full fury upgrade when attacking an enemy at 50% or greater, and something else.

Binding Blade should get DC on it's effect, maybe even an update to the original effect, maybe if it's just +1 to the increase

Brynhildr could get an effect similar to the Gravity+ effect, along with maybe something else, like a poison strike effect, cause those trees look they could hurt ?

As for Parthia and Yato, I have no idea what they could do for those weapons

Sieglinde could get the same upgrade similar to Siegmund