School is closed because too much ice.

Nym

How could this happen in USA North (which depending on your views, might be USA Sweet Escape Paradise right now)? Shouldn't they always be prepared for ice and snow all the time? You shouldn't have any ice days, nor snow days- not even in a blizzard.

Still, an Ice Day, sounds like the prim and proper stuckup brother of a Snow Day. Who arrogantly finds joy in every uncouth plebeian who in their mindless mannerless rushing about their dreary daily lives slips and falls on their wasteful posteriors.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How could this happen in USA North (which depending on your views, might be USA Sweet Escape Paradise right now)? Shouldn't they always be prepared for ice and snow all the time? You shouldn't have any ice days, nor snow days- not even in a blizzard.

Canada is not in USA XD unless you meant like the states in USA like very close to it. In this case I have no idea.

As for your question, it's because last night there was a freezing rain and the streets are now very slippy which could be dangerous for both children and adults alike. Not to mention cars.

Meanwhile in Wyoming, USA, we can have a foot of snow and schools still run unless the wind is blowing too much.

@Nym Who pissed off Elsa in Canada? Lol.

Edited by Dragoncat

3 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Meanwhile in Wyoming, USA, we can have a foot of snow and schools still run unless the wind is blowing too much.

@Nym Who pissed off Elsa in Canada? Lol.

Too much snow used to do that but not anymore. Last time I didn't went to school because of that was when I was... 8 years old.

Justin Trudeau

22 minutes ago, Nym said:

Canada is not in USA XD unless you meant like the states in USA like very close to it. In this case I have no idea.

As for your question, it's because last night there was a freezing rain and the streets are now very slippy which could be dangerous for both children and adults alike. Not to mention cars.

The USA North thing was intended to be an insulting joke. Canada being the little quiet neighbor north of the loud egotistical USA to the south and therefore a forgettable appendage of it. In case you took too much offense, I then slipped in the little political side joke to balance out my portrayal of Canada with some praise. Because I'm overwrought in how I think through my posts even in FFtF. Which is why FFtP I am not the ideal poster for, but who cares? I'll pop in anyway.

And I'm aware of how freezing rain and ice can cause serious issues. I have a long driveway and if it snows, getting the mail involves a gauntlet of leaping from spot with a plenty of good traction snow to spot to another and minimizing the amount of ice you step on in between. Doesn't help me I'm not the most stable of people, not quite a klutz, yet certainly easier to trip than others.

20 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Canada is too kind to let its people slip and fall on the way to work. You and the other two people living in the nothingness that pretends to be a state are much too harsh on yourselves. Take a breather, you don't need to work so hard every day.

Well Yellowstone is wonderful and in Wyoming. Just be sure to get out of the state before the supervolcano erupts, otherwise you're dead.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well Yellowstone is wonderful and in Wyoming. Just be sure to get out of the state before the supervolcano erupts, otherwise you're dead.

I went to Yellowstone a couple years ago and Old Faithful was awesome and we saw a young bear. I wanted to see wolves but didn't. I love wolves. Also there's the Grand Prismatic Spring that's pretty awesome, here's a picture of it:

82986.jpg

It wasn't as impressive from the shore though. I saw it on TV a long time ago and forgot what it was called, so I called it "the rainbow lake" for awhile lol. Each color is a different kind of bacteria that thrives in that temperature, and even the red, the coldest, is hot enough to boil you alive if you were to go in. That road looking thing in the right side of the image is the view point and it wasn't that great honestly. You pretty much need to fly over it to see it in its full glory, which I unfortunately didn't get to do.

If it blows up it will take out most of the Western US, actually...not just one state. But I heard that if it was going to blow up, it would have already, so I'm safe.

Sometimes it sucks living in the least populated state, but I assure you there are more than three lol.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The USA North thing was intended to be an insulting joke. Canada being the little quiet neighbor north of the loud egotistical USA to the south and therefore a forgettable appendage of it. In case you took too much offense, I then slipped in the little political side joke to balance out my portrayal of Canada with some praise. Because I'm overwrought in how I think through my posts even in FFtF. Which is why FFtP I am not the ideal poster for, but who cares? I'll pop in anyway.

Oh that. Nah I didn't offense, the joke just flew over my head.

Honestly, I found more hilarious when some people in USA legitemately thought that we were living inside igloos. XD

I'm from the souther states, we don't get snow that often.

Whenever we do it's almost guaranteed that schools will be closed, even it's just half an inch. People here just can't drive if the roads have a light dusting of snow. We also don't like the cold in general.

Also, for some reason everyone just rushes out to buy milk and bread, no one even seems to know why. We went shoppng last week before the snow came in, and while we waiting in line we magicaly had milk and bread in the cart, though neither of us remembered picking it up.

5 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I went to Yellowstone a couple years ago and Old Faithful was awesome and we saw a young bear. I wanted to see wolves but didn't. I love wolves. Also there's the Grand Prismatic Spring that's pretty awesome, here's a picture of it:

82986.jpg

It wasn't as impressive from the shore though. I saw it on TV a long time ago and forgot what it was called, so I called it "the rainbow lake" for awhile lol. Each color is a different kind of bacteria that thrives in that temperature, and even the red, the coldest, is hot enough to boil you alive if you were to go in. That road looking thing in the right side of the image is the view point and it wasn't that great honestly. You pretty much need to fly over it to see it in its full glory, which I unfortunately didn't get to do.

If it blows up it will take out most of the Western US, actually...not just one state. But I heard that if it was going to blow up, it would have already, so I'm safe.

Sometimes it sucks living in the least populated state, but I assure you there are more than three lol.

As someone who's finished emergency management my advice is if the danm thing blows up is to pull out a lawn chair, and crack open a cold one.

5 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

Whenever we do it's almost guaranteed that schools will be closed, even it's just half an inch. People here just can't drive if the roads have a light dusting of snow. We also don't like the cold in general.

Actually you need a special kind of wheels to drive in the winter in general. Those who own cars are in a shopping rush for those wheels around November/December each year.

9 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

Also, for some reason everyone just rushes out to buy milk and bread, no one even seems to know why. We went shoppng last week before the snow came in, and while we waiting in line we magicaly had milk and bread in the cart, though neither of us remembered picking it up.

Um if you buy these for surviving a ''blizzard'', potatoes and water would be much better but eh xD.

46 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

Do forget the eggs! You need eggs if you're going to survive the blizzard! Because French Toast is the number 1 survival food.

48 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I remember hearing even the eastern seaboard would get at least an inch of ash, and the world as a whole would see the sun completely blocked from view for a year or so.

Happy thoughts.... Well the same geothermal activity that makes Yellowstone a potential doomsday scenario is also why it has over half of the world's geysers- so they're a distinctly American natural phenomena. I need to go there some day to see it for myself, the Grand Prismatic Spring would be the first stop for sure because that is really beautiful. Or I could just find a good nature documentary. Maybe I'll pay attention to Aerial America: Wyoming (yes a whole 1 long episode of nothing but things in Wyoming viewed from the sky- they did it for every state except Delaware, which got merged into the Maryland episode, and maybe the Dakotas) so I'll have more nice things to say about Wyoming. 

We had a nasty storm here in Minnesota as well, spent a hour clearing the drive way. I'm most likely gonna be cooped up inside the rest of the day, but it has gotten surprisingly warm out side ever since the sun came up. 

9 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Meanwhile, we've had schools closed because of a lack of water.  Water main breaks suck.

Now that is a serious problem.

Although it wouldn't quite surprise me if there were worse water educational system problems that forced closings- lead, whatever got into the Flint system, water you can set on fire. What'd be even worse than that? How about a school playground built over a factory's former toxic waste dump! Now that I am sad to admit has sometimes happened in the good-prematurely-old-due-to-carcinogens US of A. I forget exactly where though.

Man, when people talk about Yellowstone (which for me is just a five hour road trip down south a ways, as I live in Montana), I just think of all the stories about how people ignored all the warning signs and either got themselves injured or killed.  The hot springs in particular... those can straight up dissolve a human being.  Most would probably not want to hear some of the stories I've picked up from that place.  As beautiful and magnificent as it is, it's not a place you should take lightly; when they tell you to stay on the path, you really should stay on the path.

Anyway...

There was one instance I distinctly remember when just simple ice was too much for the schools to handle.  It was when my school district was doing AA Choral Festival; that got straight up cancelled because of some stupid black ice, and we all were super bummed about it.  That pretty much solidified my hatred of winter ice.

We don't often have "ice days" off.  It'd usually have to be heavy snowfall for the schools to shut down.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Maybe I'll pay attention to Aerial America: Wyoming (yes a whole 1 long episode of nothing but things in Wyoming viewed from the sky- they did it for every state except Delaware, which got merged into the Maryland episode, and maybe the Dakotas) so I'll have more nice things to say about Wyoming. 

I once spent the better part of a day driving through Eastern Wyoming...

The only exceptional thing about that trip was just how little there was to look at.  I've been on a number of road trips, and even the most boring ones would at least have some changes in scenery.  But not good old Eastern Wyoming; instead, why not have a large helping of constant rolling hills, with a side of Casper?

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Eastern Montana is also mostly the same.  Except I also know that region is where all the crazies flock... and also rednecks.  I've heard the western region of Wyoming is more densely populated... and heck, my gramps takes annual trips down that way, so there's obviously something worth a trip down there besides a national park.

I never had any school closures for snow/ice until post-secondary  :(:  My school district was very strict about closures!  My parents had to call in for me a few times because we couldn't safely get to school in the snow.  (My high school was in a very hilly area.) 

It's very difficult to get anywhere in Vancouver when it snows. :lol:

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Man, when people talk about Yellowstone (which for me is just a five hour road trip down south a ways, as I live in Montana), I just think of all the stories about how people ignored all the warning signs and either got themselves injured or killed.  The hot springs in particular... those can straight up dissolve a human being.  Most would probably not want to hear some of the stories I've picked up from that place.  As beautiful and magnificent as it is, it's not a place you should take lightly; when they tell you to stay on the path, you really should stay on the path.

I once spent the better part of a day driving through Eastern Wyoming...

The only exceptional thing about that trip was just how little there was to look at.  I've been on a number of road trips, and even the most boring ones would at least have some changes in scenery.  But not good old Eastern Wyoming; instead, why not have a large helping of constant rolling hills, with a side of Casper?

Yes people are such big idiots...they think it's a swimming hole and a petting zoo...when I was there a lady was standing way too close to an adult male bison with a looked like 1 year old baby in her arms! My dad drove off because he didn't want to see a mauling. I didn't hear about one thank god, but seriously?

And omg yes. I'm in Torrington and from here to Cheyenne is nothing but fields, cows, hills, and trees. So boring.

Coming from North Carolina here, but the past two-three weeks have seen cancellations down here. Granted we got what, 5 inches of snow and some ice, but it was enough to basically extend winter break for another week the first time, then another 3-4 days the second time. Well Public schools that is, my community college still operated mostly normal the second time (wasn't in session yet the first time). Which is funny since I'm dual enrolled and my public school is on the same campus as that community college.

What is snow?

Sometimes, I'd wish "too cold for school" could apply in reverse. But no. Over here it could reach 50C (and has) and we would still have to go. Then again, that's summer break for most... but not anymore for me.