Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I feel like X2 will definitly use the scrapped ideas from X. I often wonder what X would've been like if they didn't implement online halfway through development.

I really want to know the truth behind Mira, especially after seeing that concept art. It also wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Ghosts ended up being the Xenoblade version of the Gnosis from Xenosaga.

If i had that dream, i too would be disapointed. Though i just had the best of thoughts: i want this song from TMS to be in Ultimate

I want this song in Ultimate more than i want Twilight of theĀ Gods.

Is that a super saiyan Marth?

is that actual game footage?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

First question is kind of a spoiler, but yes, it's actual footage from the game.

Honestly, I'm not expecting a character, but I want SOME kind of TMS #FE representation in the game. Even just a song will do.

Edited by Jave

9 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

It is. It is from just before the start of the final battle. Chrom, normally Itsuki's Mirage, is replaced by Marth. I never actually saw this scene until now because I couldn't stand the singing beforehand, looks utterly ridiculous in a good way.

Here is the relevant video from an let's play. Skip to 9:15 for more context and singing.

Ā 

...Marth now needs an ice blue recolor in Smash.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 minutes ago, Jave said:

First question is kind of a spoiler, but yes, it's actual footage from the game.

Honestly, I'm not expecting a character, but I want SOME kind of TMS #FE representation in the game. Even just a song will do.

Should I spoiler tag my question?

this game looks weirder and weirder every time I see itĀ 

10 minutes ago, Jave said:

Hey, if Heroes can get representation in Smash, so can TMS.

I'd imagine we might also see some Warriors songs.

5 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I mean, itĀ isĀ a spoiler but it's also something that could very easily appear in those "*insert thing here* without context" Twitter accounts.

Like, i don't even know why Marth is there. I just know he's there.

Ahhh, i wanna play TMS.

Edited by Armagon

1 minute ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Nah, IO answered it already so I guess it's not a big deal. It's not the biggest spoiler in the game anyway.

This game may look weird when you look at selected cutscenes out of context, but when actually played whole with the cutscenes where they belong, it flows incredibly well. The cutscenes and songs fit perfectly with the overall mood of the game.

Just now, Armagon said:

Hey, if Heroes can get representation in Smash, so can TMS.

I'd imagine we might also see some Warriors songs.

I mean, itĀ isĀ a spoiler but it's also something that could very easily appear in those "*insert thing here* without context" Twitter accounts.

Oh you meant the answer is a spoiler?

im dumĀ 

9 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

If you can handle slice of life silly anime, you can handle the game.

If you're looking for understanding the lyrics to the song, here is an English translation of them, inasmuch as songs can be translated:

Spoiler

Ah, can you hear the song

Echoing across the world, as it calls to heroes

Vowing for eternity to bless your path,

Banish your woes

Though the wheel of fate may turn

Good and evil, black and white

Seize your destiny and look ahead

Time to awaken...

And raise your face to the light!

Fire Emblem,

For the sake of the world you love

Transcending time, champions will forever rise

Fire Emblem, (I vow)

For the sake of the one you love (For all eternity)

You need no purpose but the bonds before your eyes

Now shall we arise...

If you want to see its wackiness in a fun way, here is a video with all the flashy attack animations from the game complied together. Watch itĀ ifĀ you're bored. Note the last minute is dedicated to dealing the final blow to the final boss, and thus you can skip it.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Fortunately, SF actually has the full script for the game.

Spoiler

And basically, to defeat Gharnef and Medeus, they need the power of the Divine Dragon.

To get the Divine Dragon, they need to perform the Opera of Light.

To perform the Opera of Light, they need to complete trials in the depths of the Bloom Palace to undergo trials against heroes of yore to acquire their power to perform the Opera of Light. Trial 1 gives them Gordin (for Eleonora), Linde (for Kiria), MacellanĀ and Dolph (for Mamori). Trial 2 gives them Palla (for Tsubasa), Ogma (for Yashiro), and Jagen (for Touma).

Trial 3 was supposed to give them Marth for Itsuki, but Gharnef and the human he hasĀ corrupted steal Marth's blue orb of a soul.Ā 

Defeating Gharnef doesn't yield Marth's soul, asĀ Medeus gets it instead.

Nonetheless, the Opera of Light is attempted with Itsuki standing in for Marth, but Medeus shoots him to death. The power of tears and friendship free Marth's soul and Marth resurrects Itsuki. Allowing the Opera of Light to unfold, and Tiki, invoking Naga's name, takes Divine Dragon form. The final battle begins, hope you packed the Wyrmicide 'cause you'll need it!

Ā 

Ā 

On the TMS note, I think its normal battle theme could work in Smash.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Aww, man, I missed Xenoblade discussion... because I was playing Xenoblade.

Rex and Pyra/Mythra are Driver and Blade, respectively; in Xenoblade 2's gameplay, the Driver is your player character while Blades hang back and empower your Driver; kinda like a reverse Pokemon Trainer situation, as was stated, where the "Pokemon" are the ones hanging back calling the shots while the "Trainer" is the one actually battling.

That being said, the Blades can join in the battle for Blade Specials (powerful, elementally-charged attacks, sometimes conducted as a team attack with their Driver), and cutscenes often show the Blades just as involved in the action as their Drivers, even if it's Gameplay And Story Segregation.

If Rex got in, Pyra/Mythra would probably hang in the background removed from the battle, but follow Rex around. Switching between them would alter the properties of Rex's attacks, but not their basic animations or anything. Final Smash has quite a few options, though "Coffee with Milk" is a big spoiler.

If you're not planning on ever playing XC2 or don't care about spoilers, "Coffee with Milk" is...

Spoiler

Pyra and Mythra actually have a third form, the two of them simply combined back together into their purest, original form (with a green color scheme instead of Pyra's red and Mythra's gold/white). It's stupidly powerful and serves as a late-game super mode you can activate once a battle. The name "coffee with milk" comes from the game's dialogue; when Mythra explains the form to Rex, Rex compares their fused form to mixing the milk into your coffee until it's a single liquid, which Mythra feels is a ridiculous comparison yet can't think up a better one. As with many spoilers in Xenoblade games, the fanbase came up with a spoiler-free name to discuss it without ruining the surprise for other players. Its real name is Pneuma.

As far as Xenoblade spoilers go, besides Elma and Rex/Pyra there's actually a really good fourth character I and many fans want, an Echo Fighter of Shulk based on a spoiler from Xenoblade 2:

Spoiler

The game's main antagonist, Malos, spends much of the game trying to regain his full power; when he finally does, said power manifests as a Monado. It's a bit of an "Oh shit!" moment for any veterans of Xenoblade 1 since it's the first major hint that the two games are linked beyond just their titles, he's a pretty popular villain, and he could very easily borrow Shulk's other attacks without it looking weird. He'd need a different Final Smash, but he has quite a few options for that between Monado Eater, Artifice Ophion, and Artifice Aion.

Ā 

Edited by Anomalocaris

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

(I also had a strange dream of a Tokyo Mirage Sessions 2 being announced last night, I felt disappointed when I woke up.)

Sorry to hear that. No one should ever really experience that kind of disappointment.

Ā 

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Marx as in the one time Kirby boss? That'd never happen. -Well it did kinda sorta actually, he just got a major redesign, was unplayable, and renamed "Tabuu".

Marx recently been in Star Allies as a playable character. Because of that, he's been one of the most request characters from Kirby, right behind Bandanna Dee. Amusing that "Sakurai Bias" suddenly isn't a thing anymore when it comes Marx.

Ā 

6 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Aww, man, I missed Xenoblade discussion... because I was playing Xenoblade.

If that isn't ironic, then I clearly don't know what irony is.

Edited by Zangetsu

4 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Marx recently been in Star Allies as a playable character. Because of that, he's been one of the most request characters from Kirby, right behind Bandanna Dee. Amusing that "Sakurai Bias" suddenly isn't a thing anymore when it comes Marx.

Ā 

If that isn't ironic, then I clearly don't know what irony is.

I like Marx but I don't think he'd work as a playable character in Smash Bros. Most of his attacks are still very "bossy" and would be either unwieldy or overpowered if implemented into Smash Bros., and almost all of his moveset hinges on him having infinite flight which is obviously not an option. His only ground-based attacks are the new ball-kicking attacks that Star Allies gave him.

Now, Adeleine I could get behind.

And alas, it isn't irony, just coincidence.

36 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

I like Marx but I don't think he'd work as a playable character in Smash Bros. Most of his attacks are still very "bossy" and would be either unwieldy or overpowered if implemented into Smash Bros., and almost all of his moveset hinges on him having infinite flight which is obviously not an option. His only ground-based attacks are the new ball-kicking attacks that Star Allies gave him.

Yea, I just saw Marx moveset in Star Allies &, oh boy, they do not belong in so much as a Kirby as so much they don't belong to any genre at all. It's like what if a SNK Fighting game boss was playable in beat em up game. I'm still not against his inclusion though & I'm pretty sure Sakurai & friend can still make it work.

Ā 

36 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Maybe next game, sorry to be a downer.

Ā 

51 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

And alas, it isn't irony, just coincidence.

It's not coincidence, it just unfortunate.

7 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Maybe next game, sorry to be a downer.

Oh, yes. Definitely not happening now. We'll be lucky to get Bandana Waddle Dee as a fourth Kirby rep, and that's it. But one can always hope for next time.

3 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

But one can always hope for next time.

Maybe DLC as foolish & naive as it is? If it's any comfort, I'm sure Matthew Taranto want her inĀ  too if that actually means anything.

I just wouldn't be complaining if we got another Kirby rep in general

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Since we're talking of Xenoblade, I can think of a spoiler regarding Elma that'd they could ruin for sure. A tempting one in some ways.Ā And it isn't like they haven't ruined Xenoblade spoilers before, Fiora anyone?

I mean, I can think of an easy way to graft major spoilers into Rex's moveset: since the Catalyst Scimitar is also a sword, they'd really only need to limit the range of the beam part of the Aegis Blade(s) to make them work together (plus, they'd have twice as many arts and animations to pull from). The idea's basically Pyra > average, Mythra > better speed and knockback but more endlag, Catalyst > less knockback but all attacks have a vampire effect.

Ā 

7 hours ago, The DanMan said:

I mean, I can think of an easy way to graft major spoilers into Rex's moveset: since the Catalyst Scimitar is also a sword, they'd really only need to limit the range of the beam part of the Aegis Blade(s) to make them work together (plus, they'd have twice as many arts and animations to pull from). The idea's basically Pyra > average, Mythra > better speed and knockback but more endlag, Catalyst > less knockback but all attacks have a vampire effect.

Is that supposed to be spoilers? I can't tell since I haven't touched XC2, despite saying I would get to it this Summer. Sounds like a semi-weak/only average name for some great weapon though.

Since I don't trust myself with JRPGs during a school semester, owing to being too enraptured in them, I have three options left for me. One- get through the main story in 8 days. Two- find a way to balance school with gaming at long last. Three- wait until December to play it, since I hate the feeling of starting a game, dropping incomplete for an extended time period, and only resuming things later. By that point though, I'd have had the game sitting in plastic wrap for an entire year- I think it could sue me for owner neglect at that point.

With Smash in mind, maybe I should jump ship from paying attention to Smash news the moment R&P show up as playable if they ever do. You only get one chance at a first impression, best not have it tainted too much.

Ā 

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ruh-roh

If true

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Nintendo....

You have the monies, hire guards for this kind of thing. Or make Switches with multi-directional guns built in that shoot anyone unauthorized who tampers in the slightest digitally or physically with the system.

Let us really hope this isn't true. Otherwise I will find murdered balloons inflated with more hype than the Smash community will have after the demo leaks.

Ā 

17 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

I just wouldn't be complaining if we got another Kirby rep in general

I wouldn't either. I'd prefer Bandana Dee myself (with Sailor Dee alt), since they aren't just a flavor of the week character, which are rather weak in Kirby since its all about simplicity and charm.

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I wouldn't either. I'd prefer Bandana Dee myself (with Sailor Dee alt), since they aren't just a flavor of the week character, which are rather weak in Kirby since its all about simplicity and charm.

OMG, that would be so adorable. Just like that one Waddle Dee in MK's revenge. This needs to be a thing now!

Ā 

14 minutes ago, Florete said:

It's fake. He posted a video on New Pork City that caught the Nintendo booth stand. Just a troll.

Go figure

Some guy posted on smashboards earlier today saying he had the demo and was willing to test stuff. Look for an AMA on Reddit later today with questions. But the smashboards post is gone now. Didn't sound convincing to me.

I am actually surprised at the amount of events this demo is appearing at. Some I've never heard of. Next one is PAX West, followed by Dreamhack Montreal the next week. Cool that more people get to play the game, but it also makes me sad since I know they'd never release an eshop demo if they were still sending it to events.

Edit: Guess it's just an employee having a bit of fun

Ā 

Edited by Glennstavos

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Is that supposed to be spoilers? I can't tell since I haven't touched XC2, despite saying I would get to it this Summer. Sounds like a semi-weak/only average name for some great weapon though

It is. It's the name of the weapon associated with a certain Blade (like how Pyra/Mythra's weapon is the Aegis Sword). Since the Blade in question is a spoiler, the fandom's code word for the character is Catalyst Schimitar, the name of the weapon.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Since I don't trust myself with JRPGs during a school semester, owing to being too enraptured in them, I have three options left for me. One- get through the main story in 8 days. Two- find a way to balance school with gaming at long last. Three- wait until December to play it, since I hate the feeling of starting a game, dropping incomplete for an extended time period, and only resuming things later. By that point though, I'd have had the game sitting in plastic wrap for an entire year- I think it could sue me for owner neglect at that point.

I'd recommend option 2. You could beat the game in days but only if you skip cutscenes and rush through the game. And if you wait until December, then it's gonna conflict withĀ Ultimate.

You could also try option 4: buy Golden Country and play through that first. It's been stated to have a main storyĀ around 40 hours in length (so Xenogears length), meaning it's a shorter gameĀ and it's a prequel to Xenoblade 2 so you could end up experiencing Xenoblade 2 differently than if you were to play XC2 first.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

It is. It's the name of the weapon associated with a certain Blade (like how Pyra/Mythra's weapon is the Aegis Sword). Since the Blade in question is a spoiler, the fandom's code word for the character is Catalyst Schimitar, the name of the weapon.

Clever way of maneuvering around the spoiler, this is the same fanbase that invented Seven. But then Smash ruined that, so it is prophesied to happenĀ again.

Ā 

And if you wait until December, then it's gonna conflict withĀ Ultimate.

Fortunately I'm not getting Ultimate right away. Despite posting here, and being interested in SU, I don't plan to play online, nor do tournaments, or have anyone around me I could play with. As a result, I'm not going to get the game right away. I did eventually get Smash 4 despite the same issues and had fun with it purely on single player merits, I bought most of the DLC characters even, but I waited quite a while, I forget how long. Probably until all the DLC was released. I never finished All-Stars Mode, that Captain Falcon challenge always got me somewhere, and I only ever once or twiceĀ got to Master Fortress I think, and failed right away- they really should let you practice that somehow, like the TrueĀ Arena bosses in Kirby games. Part of the challenge is going in blind and not being able to get much experience with it, because when you fail, you have to go through another long and harrowing ordeal to get back there.

Ā 

You could also try option 4: buy Golden Country and play through that first. It's been stated to have a main storyĀ around 40 hours in length (so Xenogears length), meaning it's a shorter gameĀ and it's a prequel to Xenoblade 2 so you could end up experiencing Xenoblade 2 differently than if you were to play XC2 first.

Interesting, I thought I heard you say before that it was DLC that was a game unto itself. Wonder why they chose to do this? The closest thing I can think of that is like this is New Super Luigi Bros. U.

Having played Breath of the Wild spending the longest time avoiding human settlements, and then afterwards still never going to Impa or doing theĀ Divine Beasts when I beat Ganon, I think I'd be up for a little inversion of the norm. ExperienceĀ a different perspective from the norm, even if it wasn't accidental but planned, sounds like an eccentric and fun idea.

Although I checked and it hasn't released yet, right? How can thou be certain it wouldn't spoil everything? But as long as things aren't too bad, that might work. I heard some newbie Trails fans made the same mistake of starting with Cold Steel and it was fine, in a way I could join them. If the game presumes mastery of the gameplay mechanics from the base game, well that is going to be another issue as a greenhorn, but as a veteran of two prior Xenoblade games, I should have few issues adapting right away.

Ā 

(BTW, sorry if this sounds narcissistic, but noticed I've declared my BLADE division with my sig now?)

13 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Interesting, I thought I heard you say before that it was DLC that was a game unto itself. Wonder why they chose to do this? The closest thing I can think of that is like this is New Super Luigi Bros. U.

I wouldn't compare it to NSLBU. While that did recieve a standalone release, it amounted to nothing more than being a reskined NSMBU. Golden Country, on the other hand, is a full length JRPG with a brand new story, aĀ new area not seen in XC2, new characters and a similar yet different battle system than the one seen inĀ the main game to reflect the time in which Drivers and Blades fought seperately. Heck, NPC Affinity from XC1 is returning as well, albeit a bit differently (main XC2 had townĀ dev instead which is you boosting the economy).

13 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How can thou be certain it wouldn't spoil everything?

Well, Golden Country takes place 500 years before XC2 so it shouldn't spoil too much. In fact, it's basically a reimagining of what would've been Xenogears Episode 4. Because of the large time gap, it doesn't really matter in which order you go in. Play Golden Country first and you'll experience XC2 differently. Play XC2 first and Golden Country will deepen the experience you had in XC2 and let you see things in a new light.

So that this post isn't completely off-topic, what do you guys guess will be the tier rankings for the currently announced newcomers? Here's my take

Simon&Richter: High-mid to low-high tier. They've got amazing range and we've already seen some combos from them. They appear to be solid fighters.

Ridley: Mid to high-mid tier. He's strong, decently fast, a command grab that carries you across the stage and sweetspoted down-B is deadly. But he's got a big hitbox

Daisy: Whatever tier Peach is in

Dark Samus: whatever tier Samus is in

King K.Rool: Low tier because heavyweight. Probably one of the better low tiers though.

Chrom: Bottom tier because of that God-awful recocery. He's got no horizontal recovery and Aether is incrediably punishable. Chrom got his chance but at what cost?

Edited by Armagon