Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

My favorite reveals have been Richter and Chrom. I never expected to be excited for those two but here I am! Runner-up is "everyone is here."

5 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Any characters that can get you more hype than you are right now?

Lyn and Crash Bandicoot are the only two that could possibly make me even more hyped.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Lyn and Crash Bandicoot are the only two that could possibly make me even more hyped.

Lyn was confirmed to still be an assist trophy, so you can't hope for her anymore.

My favorite reveal is obviously Daisy, since she was my most wanted character for a while. But I gotta agree on the "Everyone is here!" part too, that was awesome.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Lyn was confirmed to still be an assist trophy, so you can't hope for her anymore.

Sure I can, there's always DLC. And I never even said "I hope for Lyn" anyway. The question was if there were any characters that could get you even more hyped, to which I answered the only two that could make me more excited.

Just now, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Sure I can, there's always DLC. And I never even said "I hope for Lyn" anyway. The question was if there were any characters that could get you even more hyped, to which I answered the only two that could make me more excited.

You're getting your hopes up for nothing then. There's never been a case where an assist trophy later became playable in the same iteration of Smash.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

You're getting your hopes up for nothing then. There's never been a case where an assist trophy later became playable in the same iteration of Smash.

Rip shovel knights chances of being playable 

and rip my hopes and dreams

2 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Rip shovel knights chances of being playable 

and rip my hopes and dreams

Yeah, I honestly thought Shovel Knight had a really high chance of being in, now that you mention it.

I wouldn't lose hope for an AT character becoming DLC later on. Sakurai has broken so many "rules" at this point that I believe anything can happen.

The "Everyone is Here" announcement was easily my favorite. It's what I always wanted from a Smash game, and I'm glad it got rid of the "Who gets cut" discussion right away (which I always felt was the worst discussion topic in Smash threads).

I think the "Everyone is Here!" announcement is pretty much the single-most important thing about this game. I don't think anything can really top that.

However, I *adored* seeing Ridley, Simon, and K. Rool's trailers.

Oops, I never answered the second part of the question. 

I don’t really have a favorite moment yet honestly. None of the characters added so far really wowed me, as my reactions ranged from somewhat pleased (King K. Rool/Ridley) to indifference (Dark Samus/Inkling). Even the “Everyone is here!” part didn’t get me especially excited. The only cut character I wanted back was Wolf, which is great that he’s back. Again, only a Shadow reveal would really excite me. Most of the characters I wanted were already added in Smash 4, being Rosalina, Bowser Jr., Pac-Man, Palutena, and Corrin, so I’m already pretty satisfied with the roster. The rest of my desires are pretty dead. Lyn is RIP unless she’s added as a DLC fighter which I highly doubt, Linkle is unlikely as she’s technically a Techmo Koie property, and Sneasel will never be added lol. I 

What is a character, that seems like they have a chance, that you absolutely do not, under any circumstances, want in Smash, disregarding characters like Goku and Shrek? Of course, let's keep it civil.

For me, it's Gothitelle, if only because of that Richter leak. I hate its design (I've always had a love-hate relationship with gen 5 anyways), and it's really unpopular from what I've seen - no support whatsoever, has never really had its own niche. It seems to have just been created to try and recreate Gardevoir's success, to no avail. The only notable appearance it has that I can remember is in Pokemon Conquest where it's Gracia's Perfect Link, and I only remember that because I love that game. Would it work as a Gardevoir Echo? Absolutely, but it would restrict Gardevoir from taking advantage of its new shiny Fairy typing. Just...please keep Gothitelle away from me...

The other one is Tingle, but that's only because he's freaking creepy.

2 hours ago, Jave said:

I wouldn't lose hope for an AT character becoming DLC later on. Sakurai has broken so many "rules" at this point that I believe anything can happen.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Lau said:

What is a character, that seems like they have a chance, that you absolutely do not, under any circumstances, want in Smash, disregarding characters like Goku and Shrek? Of course, let's keep it civil.

Eh, I'm not sure. Hyrule Warriors showed that even Tingle could work. I suppose maybe Dante, since I guess he was supposedly "leaked"?

1 hour ago, Lau said:

For me, it's Gothitelle, if only because of that Richter leak. I hate its design (I've always had a love-hate relationship with gen 5 anyways), and it's really unpopular from what I've seen - no support whatsoever, has never really had its own niche. It seems to have just been created to try and recreate Gardevoir's success, to no avail. The only notable appearance it has that I can remember is in Pokemon Conquest where it's Gracia's Perfect Link, and I only remember that because I love that game. Would it work as a Gardevoir Echo? Absolutely, but it would restrict Gardevoir from taking advantage of its new shiny Fairy typing. Just...please keep Gothitelle away from me...

The other one is Tingle, but that's only because he's freaking creepy.

I don’t really see how Gothitelle would restrict Gardevoir from her fairy typing. Didn’t really add much new to her except three fairy type moves. I could see them both sharing moonblast, draining kiss, or disarming voice if they wanted to incorporate that despite Gothitelle not sharing those moves. The typing always felt tacked on to her anyway as they still only focus on her psychic abilities.

———————————

I never really cared if someone got in. What I mean is, there isn’t anyone I would dislike seeing in the game even if I don’t actually like the character.

I guess Chris Redfield might fit the bill. Not because I dislike him but because it would be sorta jarring to see him in. I don’t think he’s particularly likely though and we already have characters like Snake and Bayonetta so maybe it wouldn’t be that jarring.

Edit: I think if Sans got in but he had to get in with like a 3D model with realistic proportions instead of cartoony and flat like his original appearance I would be scared and would definitely want that thing far away from the roster. Again, not likely other than Undertale is coming to the switch but still... the thought of that is something else.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

3 hours ago, Jave said:

I still wouldn't have much hope though.

2 hours ago, Lau said:

They already added chrom, so my disapointment levels are at an all time high.

other than that, edelgard as DLC, the fanbase has already taught me to hate the character (doesn't help that her design is pretty ugly).

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I still wouldn't have much hope though.

If that's how you feel, that's fine. You need to remember that people value things differently and some do like hoping for certain things to happen, even if they seem ridiculous or impossible at first (like, you know, Cloud Strife in Smash?! Come on, man!).

True, there's no precedent for an AT becoming DLC, but DLC in general has very little precedent to it, with Smash 4 having only 7 DLC characters, and the first 4 were actually planned since before the release of the base game. Since we have no idea how Ultimate will handle DLC (I definitely expect more than what Smash 4 got, at the very least), I don't think any option should be thrown out the window.

2 hours ago, Lau said:

I can't see myself being upset at any character inclusion. Since E3's massive roster reveal I'm most invested in modes. There's enough characters and stages, now let's talk about how fun this game is to actually play.

Just now, Jave said:

If that's how you feel, that's fine. You need to remember that people value things differently and some do like hoping for certain things to happen, even if they seem ridiculous or impossible at first (like, you know, Cloud Strife in Smash?! Come on, man!).

True, there's no precedent for an AT becoming DLC, but DLC in general has very little precedent to it, with Smash 4 having only 7 DLC characters, and the first 4 were actually planned since before the release of the base game. Since we have no idea how Ultimate will handle DLC (I definitely expect more than what Smash 4 got, at the very least), I don't think any option should be thrown out the window.

Yeah, of course I know that. xP I'm just saying one still has to be realistic about their hopes too, that's all.

Exactly, that's what I mean. And yeah, but none of those 7 DLC characters already had content within the game. No ATs, no regular trophies, etc. And I remember Sakurai saying DLC is not planned until the game is finished, but if they actually start planning before the game is done, that's even less of a reason to believe Lyn could be DLC, because why make her an AT if she's going to be playable later?

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, of course I know that. xP I'm just saying one still has to be realistic about their hopes too, that's all.

Exactly, that's what I mean. And yeah, but none of those 7 DLC characters already had content within the game. No ATs, no regular trophies, etc. And I remember Sakurai saying DLC is not planned until the game is finished, but if they actually start planning before the game is done, that's even less of a reason to believe Lyn could be DLC, because why make her an AT if she's going to be playable later?

Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies in the base game.

1 minute ago, Florete said:

Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies in the base game.

I forgot about that, but they're also returning vets and still weren't ATs or anything.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Believe me, people who believe in stuff like this know very well what they're getting into. They don't need others telling them "ATs have never become DLC before".

The decision of adding a character through DLC can come at any minute. Some are probably being discussed right now, others not until way after the game is out, we don't know. If Sakurai changes his mind on an AT, well, he'll do it and make them playable.

2 minutes ago, Jave said:

Believe me, people who believe in stuff like this know very well what they're getting into. They don't need others telling them "ATs have never become DLC before".

The decision of adding a character through DLC can come at any minute. Some are probably being discussed right now, others not until way after the game is out, we don't know. If Sakurai changes his mind on an AT, well, he'll do it and make them playable.

Alright then, that's fair enough.

7 hours ago, Jave said:

That's very right. I know exactly what I'm getting into with my wish for Lyn, and I'm very confident and have faith that Sakurai wouldn't consider any DLC until at least a month after the game is out. I'm confident he'd give us the full thing first, and then start considering things like DLC, so there'd be no mindset of "this character was gonna be DLC anyway so no AT" or anything like that. I know it's a huge longshot, but I can still hope.

People have been telling me since Brawl (yes, literally for the last TEN YEARS) that I can't (not shouldn't, CAN'T) hope for Lyn. Before Wii U/3DS even had half of its content revealed, people were telling me the same thing again. Before we knew ANYTHING about Ultimate aside from the initial Inkling reveal way back in, what was it, March? People were telling me again. It's beaten into my head, I know, I get it. Please don't bash my head anymore.

Got a bit of a leak from Best Buy. Take it with a grain of salt. It's not a character leak btw.

Spoiler

https://mobile.twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/1033571477512118272

So, assuming this is legit, if you're someone who has every Smash Amiibo, congrats, you just unlocked 80% of the roster.