Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

6 hours ago, Retyl said:

Cloud from Final Fantasy VII was never leaked for Smash 4, was he? Even though he's very popular. I think you're giving the leakers too much credit.

Yet the Gematsu leak goet 9/11 characters right with the two it didn't get (Chrom and Chorus Kids) were confirmed to have been considerations (the former from Sakurai's mouth, the latter due to the Rhythm Heaven series being the only series besides Ice Climbers to have an enemy in Smash Run but no playable character-- and we know the ICs were also considered; plus, there's data in the game for a Rhythm Heaven series icon). And then there was the ESRB leak, which was actually a follow-up to a text leak from months before. Plus, as I said, Ultimate's gotten more attention with every unique newcomer since Inkling being leaked.

9 hours ago, Johann said:

The only real difference is that you believe leak one more than the other. I don't give a shit until it comes from Sakurai himself

...Except one languishes unproven while the other gains traction and actually calls stuff?

You've ignored virtually everything I've said-- maybe just admit the obvious that stuff actually leaks out instead of making yourself look even more foolish? Because really, that's what you're doing.

And I'll re-iterate: Dante is no guarantee by far. But the legitimacy of at least part of that leak has been proven, and it can't be counted out.

Edited by The DanMan

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Book Bro said:

It's not exciting enough for a fight, it's pretty repetitive... like it's fine as background music for sorting through your units but it doesn't get me pumped at all.

To be fair, Smash is no stranger to music that wouldn't really fit in a fight. Example: basically every Animal Crossing song in the game (which was a reason why seeing a Grand Finals take place on Smashville/Town and City was the most boring thing).

But yeah, i agree, the FEH remix isn't that great. It's just ok. I'll give it the "most surprising song" award though because i don't think anyone was expecting a FEH song to be one of the song previews we get before the game releases. That also means it'll probably be the only FE song preview we get as each series has gotten one song preview.

7 hours ago, SilvertheShadow said:

I’m a bit taken back though, since I thought the development took place several months ago before Heroes was even out so I thought it wouldn’t get even a glance. I suppose music is one of the later list of to-dos?

Probably. I'm no expert but i'm pretty sure implementing the music is one of the easiest things to do when developing a game.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

You've ignored virtually everything I've said-- maybe just admit the obvious that stuff actually leaks out instead of making yourself look even more foolish? Because really, that's what you're doing.

That's right, I am ignoring what you're saying, and it's because you're not getting what I'm saying. these "leaks" are simply rumors unless they have something as concrete as gameplay footage.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

That's right, I am ignoring what you're saying, and it's because you're not getting what I'm saying. these "leaks" are simply rumors unless they have something as concrete as gameplay footage.

Now you're moving goalposts and arguing over nomenclature. 

I think you've made yourself very clear at this point and nothing more can be said, as the thread has moved on from the topic.

Anyways, some actual news to re-rail things.

Firstly, the game has officially been rated E10:

DlMM2xMV4AElS0g.png

Some people were thinking the newcomer trailers being included would get it rated T citing their more brutal nature (though E10 games have pushed the envelope in other regards before-- the first Gunvolt game and I believe Rune Factory 4 both had a fair bit of mild language and didn't shy away from innuendo).

Secondly, a new interview: http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/22/sakurai-shares-more-on-the-development-music-and-stages-of-super-smash-bros-ultimate/
What sticks out to me: "Squad Strikes are elimination-style battles. Players will get to choose the number of wins required, for example first-to-three, or first-to-five, ten, and so on."
So it's not a "go until no characters are left" deal, which deftly kills the fan theories trying to measure roster size using it.

Edited by The DanMan

This is important! What this means is that you'll no longer get pineapple'd when trying to recover. This happened a lot in Dream Land and sometimes on Battlefield in Smash 4. For reference, this is what Smash 4 Battlefield's collision box looked like

DlJ7VS4WwAARc-T.jpg

Trying to recover on the left side could likely lead you to getting pineapple'd.

Source Gaming with the full translations: https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/22/more-information-about-the-smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

>103 stages is sounding more and more like it's the final amount
>When talking about Echoes, Sakurai mentions having to make 8 versions for character artwork-- backhandedly confirming that 8 is still the limit for alt costumes. Ridley likely just has a placeholder or two for Meta Ridley, and RIP Fire Mario.
>Confirms that the Smash Ballot was used for selecting characters, and notes that "K. Rool was very popular"-- meshing with what was already obvious to many.
>Outright states that even though the FS Meter's meant to simulate conventional supers in other fighting games, it's probably better off for casual play-- it also charges over time.
>Notes how most people had no idea who Richter was, as well as mulling over the "mountainous hurdles" faced when adding 3rd party characters.

Edited by The DanMan

So we have some ballot characters, I'm beginning to wonder if more recent characters don't actually have that huge a shot being on the base roster. 

DLC will likely focus more on the "typical" smash choices while the ballot surpluses old fans, of course we still have Inkling and Richter to show the ballot isn't controlling everything in the base roster.

This game looks amazing and is a guaranteed day one purchase for me, but something has been bothering me for a while that I haven't really heard any discussion of: the visual effects from attacks, specials and especially knockback seem incredibly jarring to me. Whenever someone is struck and is sent flying it becomes super disorienting, and the enormous puff of smoke is positively ghastly. Does anyone else consider this an issue or is this just something you have to get used to? 

15 minutes ago, Thane said:

This game looks amazing and is a guaranteed day one purchase for me, but something has been bothering me for a while that I haven't really heard any discussion of: the visual effects from attacks, specials and especially knockback seem incredibly jarring to me. Whenever someone is struck and is sent flying it becomes super disorienting, and the enormous puff of smoke is positively ghastly. Does anyone else consider this an issue or is this just something you have to get used to? 

Not really, I haven't noticed it much at all. It will probably be something we get used to very quickly. I don't think anyone whose had their hands on it has made that complaint.

55 minutes ago, Jedi said:

So we have some ballot characters, I'm beginning to wonder if more recent characters don't actually have that huge a shot being on the base roster. 

DLC will likely focus more on the "typical" smash choices while the ballot surpluses old fans, of course we still have Inkling and Richter to show the ballot isn't controlling everything in the base roster.

Judging from what estimates have shown, I think we’ve already seen most of what the Ballot is bringing: returning veterans, Inkling, Ridley, and K. Rool were probably at the top, while anyone at the Chrom or Ashley level made it in as an echo if possible, AT/boss/etc. if not.

Simon doesn’t appear to have had much support on the Ballot, so he seems safe to call a Sakurai pick (and Richter moreso obviously). The only remaining characters I can see being anywhere close to K. Rool are Geno and Isaac, if that. Not to say Simon or characters like Dixie or Isabelle are unpopular or anything either, just not big Ballot names.

I also think as far as recent characters go, we’re still due for a Sun/Moon Pokemon and a Xenoblade character, the latter likely being Elma. I know people see newer characters as promotion, but I always think about something Sakurai said back in Brawl: to some people, the newer games are their first games, and that’s where their memories lie.

4 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Now you're moving goalposts and arguing over nomenclature. 

I think you've made yourself very clear at this point and nothing more can be said, as the thread has moved on from the topic.

I've done nothing of the sort, kiddo. You should've ignored me from the start since I never gave a shit about discussing these alleged leaks, and subsequently, your thoughts on them

1 hour ago, Thane said:

Yeah the giant puff of smoke is a bit much, I don't understand why they think that's necessary to add

16 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I still don't get why Chrom and Lucina have different sound effects on their attacks when they're wielding the exact same weapon...

Also, Ike probably got new voice clips courtesy of Greg Chun and Lucina didn't either because Jason Adkins wasn't liked as much as Laura Bailey or they couldn't get Bailey or Alexis Tipton to do new clips for whatever reason.

Maybe its because the weapons are from different time lines, and since Lucina's is older technically, it makes a different sound. How can you tell if Lucina hasn't got any new clips? Also, is Roy confirmed to be in English too?

14 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Maybe its because the weapons are from different time lines, and since Lucina's is older technically, it makes a different sound. How can you tell if Lucina hasn't got any new clips? Also, is Roy confirmed to be in English too?

I guess. I'm thinking Sakurai and his team just want Chrom's attacks to sound more powerful, but still.

I dunno, I was just making a guess. xP

1 hour ago, ZeManaphy said:

Also, is Roy confirmed to be in English too?

Don’t quote me on this, but I believe Ray Chase (the VA for Roy) responded with a like to a question asking him if he’s voicing Roy for Smash. So it’s looking pretty likely.

I would imagine that Roy will be voiced in English this time around now that he has an official English voice.

Of course, why Cloud still speaks Japanese is a mystery despite having an official English voice for a long time is a mystery.

4 hours ago, The DanMan said:

>When talking about Echoes, Sakurai mentions having to make 8 versions for character artwork-- backhandedly confirming that 8 is still the limit for alt costumes. Ridley likely just has a placeholder or two for Meta Ridley, and RIP Fire Mario.

not really, he is talking specifically about pallet swaps, this implies that eight different color options are standard, but alternate costumes (new models) would not be counted amongst the lot of pallet swaps, also, why would they get rid of fire mario, of all his pallet swaps why dump his most iconic when there is a perfectly good wario to dump.

We then have to create a total of eight palette swaps for those artworks. I don’t think there are many other games that feature artwork that changes colors like that.

Edited by thecrimsonflash
added more of the quote to clarify

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Of course, why Cloud still speaks Japanese is a mystery despite having an official English voice for a long time is a mystery.

The same answer as to why SE only gave FF two songs in Smash- more requires more effort, and Stringent Eccentric isn't willing to do that. And yet they included in 4 that Chocobo costume and Geno outfit, how'd that happen? Maybe it's because it's Cloud? SE alone, and you MUST admit this to be true, knows how to portray Cloud properly.

2 hours ago, a bear said:

K. Rool are Geno and Isaac

If FFVII is only getting two songs again, getting Geno might require Sakurai resorting to either massive begging, or beheading a few SE employees and holding the rest hostage and slowly severing their limbs until they yield. I doubt Geno is coming, and if he is, no more than that Mii costume again.

Issac doesn't have these issues, he is not connected to a major franchise like K. Rool, who was in ways deader than Issac is. After the Donkey Kong Country/Land/64 games, his appearances, Barrel Blast, King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Donkey Konga, and Mario Super Sluggers, were all relatively minor, no being the antagonist of a truly "great" game.

Lacking a strong connection to preexisting franchise, and not being a 3rd Party, Issac would get in purely by "his own merits". At best they could spin him either as a Retroite- a bygone like Ice Climbers and ROB, or perhaps Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac would be his better Retroite contemporaries. Or, Issac could be cast in something of the same thread as Shulk and Ness and Lucas (who like Issac, made his one big appearance on the GBA and whose series is since dead), as in the protag of uniquely Nintendo RPG series, apart from M&L/PM, Pokemon, and FE. Ness and Lucas in their own ways "Retroite" too, and perhaps K. Rool even is, since he is loved for his decades-old Country/64 self.

How does one "spin" a character? I think the best way to go about this is with a hint of subtlety, in promotional matters, like Issac's reveal, certain kinds of characters would appear a lot in his trailer- like Shulk, like Ness, and then players can quietly figure out the association in their heads. If there is the choice of arranging by franchise again, Issac should be place near the aforementioned characters on the character select screen. 

I'll admit to having some childhood fondness for Golden Sun, but I'm not going to get my hopes up at all.

And in case you K. Rool fans didn't notice, they recently dug up some old Donkey Kong Country sketches, including a beta K. Rool:

krool 1

"Krudd" is K. Rool here. Another planned name for him was Kommander K. Rool (there was to be a military theme).

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/20/donkey-kong-country-devs-reveal-some-details-behind-king-k-rools-name-and-design/

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

of course we still have Inkling and Richter to show the ballot isn't controlling everything in the base roster.

I'm pretty sure that the Inklings were highly requested in the ballot though. Which just leaves Richter.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

I would imagine that Roy will be voiced in English this time around now that he has an official English voice.

Cloud's situation is messier but I think he will stay speaking Japanese because I remember people saying on other forums that Steve Burton is under contract to only voice Cloud in games published by Square or something like that along with his union status mucking things up further. Also, apparently Square didn't even bother mentioning to Burton that Cloud was going to be in Smash 4's DLC and wouldn't surprise me if they did it again with Ultimate.

7 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

I'm 99% sure Ray Chase will voice Roy in Ultimate since all the other FE fighters besides Lucina? are being voiced by their Heroes voice actor.

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

Gameplay analysis by ZeRo.

Rough recovery, but looks like he's pretty great otherwise. Kinda reminds me of Little Mac in that sense. Will be interesting to see how Roy in action for comparison.

4 minutes ago, Johann said:

Rough recovery, but looks like he's pretty great otherwise. Kinda reminds me of Little Mac in that sense. Will be interesting to see how Roy in action for comparison.

Yeah the closer to the hilt mechanic throws me off with Roy and I like Roy's moveset, I might migrate to Chrom more with the 2, but I'll probably still use Roy casually as well.

With Bandai Namco co-developing Smash Ultimate, what do you think are the odds of a Tales character getting in?

Lloyd Irving would be the obvious choice due to past popularity and being the main character of one of the Gamecube's most iconic games. That said, I would much prefer Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia, as he still stands out as the best protagonist in the Tales series and his game is being remastered for all platforms, including Switch.

Edited by Etheus

Vergeben (is that his name?) has apparently leaked another Square Enix character. A lot of people are clamouring for Geno, but I'd rather have Zack Fair or Sora (though Disney...eh...).

As for Dante, I don't think he needs to be in Smash, but that's just me.

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

With Bandai Namco co-developing Smash Ultimate, what do you think are the odds of a Tales character getting in?

Lloyd Irving would be the obvious choice due to past popularity and being the main character of one of the Gamecube's most iconic games. That said, I would much prefer Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia, as he still stands out as the best protagonist in the Tales series and his game is being remastered for all platforms, including Switch.

Lloyd has the Mii costume, so he'd likely get the spot. Lloyd & Heihachi seem to be the most likely namco characters. 

14 minutes ago, Lau said:

Vergeben (is that his name?) has apparently leaked another Square Enix character. A lot of people are clamouring for Geno, but I'd rather have Zack Fair or Sora (though Disney...eh...).

As for Dante, I don't think he needs to be in Smash, but that's just me.

Could also be Dragon Quest, seeing as Sakurai likes his gaming history the possibility is always there. There is also the fact that FF still only has 2 songs and the crossover list specfically stated it was FF7, so if another FF character got in it'd likely be Zack as an echo. 

If I may ask why you'd be against Dante when we have a character he indirectly spawned? (and he wouldn't be nearly as irritating as).