Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

Nintendo's investor briefing was recently and while there wasn't much Super Smash Bros. information, there is stuff worth mentioning.

Edited by Lightchao42

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

First is that Smash will appear at the start of Nintendo's E3 video presentation, which was pretty obvious.

Well, it doesn't say that it'll appear at the start of the E3 Direct but yeah, it was obvious it was gonna be there.

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well, it doesn't say that it'll appear at the start of the E3 Direct but yeah, it was obvious it was gonna be there.

Hmm, reading it again I'm not sure why I thought that. Maybe I got it mixed up with it appearing at the start of Treehouse Live? Regardless of the cause I fixed it.

Edited by Lightchao42

Hmm...the wording does make me feel pessimistic about the Smash Direct before E3 I speculated. They talk about it like it being recently announced is the only thing (the wording which I don't think they'd keep if they threw in Smash info before then) and point out putting a spotlight on it, so I guess they're switching stuff up from 2014. Guess Smash indeed is a large focus here. and i was so impatient for news asdfghjkl;

Also, apparently they're picking random cosplayers to do exhibition matches during the tourney. Huh. :P

• 2 weeks later...

MAAAANNGGOOOOOO

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Hey weren't there supposed to be eight youtubers as well? I guess they'll be in those exhibition matches outside of the tournament. Cool that we got new players, save for Zero. A tournament with 8 players leads me to believe that the E3 demo may not have as many as 20 playable characters like at E3 2014 but we'll see.

Edited by Glennstavos

39 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hey, actual Smash Bros players and not YouTube celebrities. Good.

Well we already had that at TheRunawayGuys Colosseum.

I'm amused at the people in the video comments who think it's a port and missed the subtitle pointing out the footage is from the Wii U game. :P

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Makes sense. Namco worked on Smash 4 and i would be very surprised if Pac-Man got the axe.

I think the more interesting part is this 

"he further says he created the rendering engine it’s built on"

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I think the more interesting part is this 

"he further says he created the rendering engine it’s built on"

Oh wow. If they really are using a new engine for this game, then i guess that just confirms it is indeed Smash 5. Now i'm curious as to how it's gonna look.

Lol, seems like an overreaction to delete your entire account.

Bamco staying on is good news. More manpower means more updates and more content. 

Also about Smash at E3, I dunno if I already mentioned it, but I fully expect a Global TestSmash demo sometime in the summer. And it will be the same E3 demo everybody is playing at E3. Heck, it may even be a shadow drop demo on the day of the presentation. Even if Smash ends up releasing later than September with the online service, they'll still want this demo out before the paid online service to help advertise it, and get sufficient data from all the people who would hold off from subscribing immediately.

Wait a second! I'm in Japan! I can go to those events! Finally news like that isn't some remote thing applicable to only people on the other side of the planet!

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Wait a second! I'm in Japan! I can go to those events! Finally news like that isn't some remote thing applicable to only people on the other side of the planet!

You'll have to tell us how it is!

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

You'll have to tell us how it is!

Oh I most certainly will report. I'm not sure this radio silence of content is the best way to build hype overall, but it's certainly piqued my interest in what kind of beast this game will be.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sooo disappointed in the Smash 5 leaks thus far. Just people posting one or two characters on some forum. Come on, where are the Smashified-quality images? The character select screen mockups? The Smash 4 mods? It's like nobody out there is even trying. Remember how nobody believed in the character icon for Shulk because it "looked like a copypasted Little Mac face"? And then shulk ended up being real. That's how plausible and high quality our rumor mill was if we could see something actually real and still discredit it.

5 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I am sooo disappointed in the Smash 5 leaks thus far. Just people posting one or two characters on some forum. Come on, where are the Smashified-quality images? The character select screen mockups? The Smash 4 mods? It's like nobody out there is even trying. Remember how nobody believed in the character icon for Shulk because it "looked like a copypasted Little Mac face"? And then shulk ended up being real. That's how plausible and high quality our rumor mill was if we could see something actually real and still discredit it.

It all comes down to the fact that there's no real hype due to the lack of content. I'm really confused as to why Nintendo is being so hush hush about it this time, if it's as close to completion as it seems. I mean, just look how active this thread is. 13 pages in three months, the SSB4 thread got to 13 pages in five days. It was probably the most active thread on this entire site's history, and we're not even a dedicated Smash community. All because they were releasing stuff on a near daily basis. This time around it's just nothing, so people's reactions are the same.

30 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It all comes down to the fact that there's no real hype due to the lack of content. I'm really confused as to why Nintendo is being so hush hush about it this time, if it's as close to completion as it seems. I mean, just look how active this thread is. 13 pages in three months, the SSB4 thread got to 13 pages in five days. It was probably the most active thread on this entire site's history, and we're not even a dedicated Smash community. All because they were releasing stuff on a near daily basis. This time around it's just nothing, so people's reactions are the same.

I'm hoping this game's short announcement to release cycle isn't due to a lack of real things to say about it. If the game does launch in September, then the first half of that cycle will have been silent. Super Smash Bros. has always been worth the hype. I think even if the game were an enhanced port of 4 you could still sell the crap out of it. There's not even a bunch of nintendo games vying for attention that would have to compete with Smash updates. Just Mario Tennis. Maybe Mario Tennis is deserving of some spotlight - it appears to be the most ambitious Mario sports game in a long time. But it's no Splatoon or Arms. Mario Tennis is not a new IP that depends on greenlighting, because people will buy it anyway.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:
1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm surprised and even a little irked that you (Glennstavos, at least) want there to be leaks. Speculation and screen/Smashified character mockups are fine and dandy, but leaks? No. In truth I hate leaks, because the ones that end up being real have their surprise factor effectively spoiled. Remember when Ryu and Roy (and Shulk to a degree) were leaked shortly before their official reveal? That ruined the surprise for a lot of people, myself included particularly for Roy. I unintentionally discovered the leak first, and after my excitement died down from Roy's reveal, I was left a little bitter that I didn't get to really be as surprised or excited as I would've been. After the Gematsu leak and especially the ESRB leak--which need I remind you, got the leaker fired from their job and deservedly bashed by the internet--can you really blame Nintendo for not wanting to repeat this mistake with Smash 5? With this being one of the most hyped E3's ever, I certainly do not blame them one bit. I saw this vid recently discussing how leaks hurt a game's development cycle, citing Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle as a prime example. And I agree with him. I'm avoiding any and all leaks because I want this year's E3 and Smash Bros presentation to be a complete, legitimate surprise, as it should be.

You may not agree, and you aren't obligated to. If you like looking at leaks and datamines, that's your call. Personally, I will steer clear of most of that jazz.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

9 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

I'm surprised and even a little irked that you (Glennstavos, at least) want there to be leaks.

Actually that was a mistake. People have been using the words rumor, leak, and speculation so interchangeably that I gaffed my meaning as well. There's supposed to be a difference between those three things, but you'll be hard pressed to get people to realize it. I was also very upset about Ryu in particular. That was supposed to be one of the biggest E3 moments of that year and it was robbed because somebody mistakenly left an audio file in the game that people discovered just looking for patch updates that Nintendo is too lazy publish. What a shitty situation. Ryu in Smash is as big of a deal as Cloud, but Cloud was only much more well received due to the lack of anybody leaking it. Believe it or not, I dislike leaks as much as any form of spoiler. But the Smash bros rumor culture has always been a feature of the fandom, not a bug. When there's a flood of rumors and weirdly plausible images it gets people skeptical about everything. This is handy if a leak actually does happen, like it did for Smash 4. It's no solution to the problem of leaks, but what even is? You can't control leaks when so many people work on these games. There's always that one person that never learned the basic social skill of keeping a secret.