Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

12 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Didn't Castlevania had like two games on the N64? I could see one of them making it in.

Kinda sorta. 

The relationship between Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness is weird, but Legacy of Darkness largely makes 64 obsolete. 

Legacy of Darkness is also really bad. 

It's one of the few Castlevania titles that even Konami doesn't want to milk. 

Edited by Slumber

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Kinda sorta. 

The relationship between Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness is weird, but Legacy of Darkness largely makes 64 obsolete. 

Legacy of Darkness is also really bad. 

It's one of the few Castlevania titles that even Konami doesn't want to milk. 

So more or less what Mystery of the Emblem, with it's remake of Dark Dargon and the Sword of Light, is?

I think I played LoD, though don't remember much. Too bad if it's really considered bad. Could've still been a consideration, I'd say.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So more or less what Mystery of the Emblem, with it's remake of Dark Dargon and the Sword of Light, is?

I think I played LoD, though don't remember much. Too bad if it's really considered bad. Could've still been a consideration, I'd say.

It just goes to show how rough the N64 Classic might be if Nintendo and Microsoft aren't collaborating for it. 

3 hours ago, Jave said:

N64 Classic without Rare:

- Super Mario 64
- Pilotwings 64
- Wave Race
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- Kirby: The Crystal Shards
- Mario Kart 64
- Mario Party 2
- Mario Party 3
- Donkey Kong 64
- 1080 Snowboarding
- Mario Tennis
- Paper Mario
- Pokemon Stadium
- Pokemon Stadium 2
- Star Fox 64
- Sin & Punishment
- Mega Man 64 (Capcom)
- Bomberman 64 (Konami)
- Bomberman 64 2: The Second Attack (Konami)
- Bomberman Hero (Konami)
- Ogre Battle 64 (Square Enix)

So that's 22 games Nintendo could realistically get without Microsoft/Rare being involved. Mario Party 1 likely isn't happening due to the Stick-rotating games that were well known for destroying controllers, and Mischief Makers has its rights all over the place (at least between Treasure and Square-Enix). However, I do agree that getting Rare is integral for a N64 classic due to their games being a huge part of the console. At the very least, the Banjos, Diddy Kong Racing and Blast Corps should be there (I doubt we'll be getting any M-rated games).

I'd second that Mystical Ninja would deserve to be on there. Yoshi's Story would also be rather acceptable. Mario Kart rip off Snow Boarding Kids is also pretty decent. And now that I look at it, you missed the actual Mario Kart too. Also you included Donkey Kong 64, which is Rare.

Edited by Jotari

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Was Earthbound 64 ever completed? They could add that in just like they did with Star Fox 2.

Assuming it was complete of course.

Earthbound 64 is what became Mother 3.

yeeup, as I said Nintendo wouldn't have to be making too many third party negotiations for an N64 Classic since most of 'em dropped Nintendo the minute somebody else pulled ahead for longer than a few months. Good riddance too, Nintendo would continue being a tyrant until Iwata took over.

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Also you included Donkey Kong 64, which is Rare.

Like the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, DK64 is a Rare game but Nintendo retains full rights. And they exercised those rights in releasing DK64 on Wii U's virtual console. The Donkey Kong games are lucky - they get to be re-released for new generations to play. Diddy Kong Racing is where it gets yucky. Since that includes two Rare characters (Conker and Banjo). 

Aaaaanyway, if you guys hurry you can bring this thread back without necroposting if you're so interested in the N64 Classic.

I've been thinking hard about that promotional video for the college tailgate tour. Where did they get that footage of characters (and that mysterious item) that aren't in the generic demo? I searched online and the actual event only has the usual demo. I'm veeeerrry interested in any new builds they've been working on.

Hooray! Though the timing is rather inconvenient for me so I won't be able to watch it live.

It's also been confirmed that this is the final Direct, so we should get the last remaining characters and information here.

Edited by Lightchao42

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Fixed that for you

Please do not do that. I don't like when people mess with my posts.

Anyway, if Dixie isn't in the base game, she probably won't be in at all. Wouldn't make sense otherwise, because she really should be in the base game if K. Rool is. And Sakurai's cut her before, so he might as well cut her again and keep hating her and her fans.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And Sakurai's cut her before, so he might as well cut her again and keep hating her and her fans.

What is this pessimism? The only reason Dixie didn't make it into Brawl was because they ran out of time. 

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Please do not do that. I don't like when people mess with my posts.

Anyway, if Dixie isn't in the base game, she probably won't be in at all. Wouldn't make sense otherwise, because she really should be in the base game if K. Rool is. And Sakurai's cut her before, so he might as well cut her again and keep hating her and her fans.

You need to be less of a negative nancy. Sakurai cutting someone does not mean that he hates that character, or their fans. Hell, he abhors making cuts, and if any are made, he does his besr to rectify them wherever possible. Cuts are also made due to priorities.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What is this pessimism? The only reason Dixie didn't make it into Brawl was because they ran out of time. 

And she was not added to Smash 4 at all. So I consider it a cut.

2 minutes ago, Dai said:

You need to be less of a negative nancy. Sakurai cutting someone does not mean that he hates that character, or their fans. Hell, he abhors making cuts, and if any are made, he does his besr to rectify them wherever possible. Cuts are also made due to priorities.

I'm aware. And it would mean Sakurai put Dixie very low on the list which imo, she should not be because she'd be fairly easy to make and she's very relevant and important in her series. She's also pretty highly requested.

And given that she did not appear in K. Rool's trailer like how Richter showed up with Simon and Lucina and Robin were in a Smash 4 trailer together, well...

Edited by Anacybele

And here I was thinking about how I bought myself a week of time to play games and sleep in. Guess I'm waking up before 7 on Thursday.

Treehouse presentation afterward is another surprise. I'm willing to bet they'll be playing the Spirits Mode rather than casual versus like at E3. Maybe they deemed it's a mode that can be explained better through example.