Your "Challenges"

ZephyrD

By Challenge, I mean, what sort of thing have you done in an attempt in order to make the games a bit more difficult and give yourself a challenge? Restricted your classes, your affinities, soloed it with a certain character? I'm curious to see what other people have done.

My last play-through was a Gillam solo run. It took me over a year to complete due to a loss of interest in FE between the releases of 9 and 10, but only a few months ago I finished, despite some annoying issues with the volcano chapter.

gilliamsolo.png

I went with Great Knight for the added movement and Move Again abilities, however, sometimes I wished for Great Shield when facing magic users due to his weak resistance, but overall it worked out. Early game was a bit slow and the volcano was annoying, but the rest was still fairly easy. I don't remember what mode it was, I think it was hard.

For FE7, I've done various affinity runs and Lord only runs.

Let's hear what you guys have done.

Beat FE5.

FE7 - Prepromote/Eliwood run in ENM, but got bored when Jaffar got randomly critted by a Swordslayer Berserker in CoD, and lost interest. File is gone now.

FE7 - S-ranked ENM

FE8 - Beat it in 29 turns (hacked though)

FE8 - Ross solo (not sure which route)

FE8 - Ephraim/Eirika only playthrough (Eph route)

FE8 - Worst units I could find playthrough. Neimi, Rennac, L'Arachel, Dozla, Garcia, Amelia, Tana (tells you something about how hard it is to find bad units), Knoll, Syrene (Eir route). I should have used Ross and Ewan.

I have some unfinished ones laying around, like FE6 lower tier (Ward, Wolt, Thany, Lilina, Cecilia, Sophia, Wendy, Bors, Barth and some other stuffs...) in Hard Mode. Also, I almost solo'd FE4 with Sigurd/Celice, but Ishtar is being a bitch with Ambush and Continue, so I'll finish that when I feel like it.

Edited by Mekkah

I haven't attempted many challenges, although I did try to complete book 1 using only Marth and Jeigan relatively recently. I finished the first two chapters before deciding to play Thracia instead. Now that I think about, limiting myself to only Marth and Jeigan is probably not the best idea for several reasons (not being able to get the Falchion, for one). I'll probably have to include a few more characters if I ever decide to give it another try.

I've done and plan to do multiple themed runs of FE10:

Girls only

Earth affinity

Dawn Brigade

All magic users

Etc.

I guess that means the only one I've really done is my green-hair playthrough of FE10. It's harder than it seems because the only time you ever have multiple units to use who you want to be gaining experience is during the Greil Mercenary chapters.

Then of course there's my hardcore clear of FE7 Eliwood hard mode from forever ago where I didn't lose a single guy and according to people who shall remain nameless, a lot of my best guys were "bottom tier" characters.

I guess that means the only one I've really done is my green-hair playthrough of FE10. It's harder than it seems because the only time you ever have multiple units to use who you want to be gaining experience is during the Greil Mercenary chapters.

Then of course there's my hardcore clear of FE7 Eliwood hard mode from forever ago where I didn't lose a single guy and according to people who shall remain nameless, a lot of my best guys were "bottom tier" characters.

Why must we remain nameless? Serious question actually. I mean, I don't think that statement is at all offensive or anything.

Also, tell me units.

Lyn, Rath, Dorcas, Lucius, Canas among others.

Lyn, Rath and Lucius are bottom tier? That's why I never trust tier lists.

I've never done anything really challenging. DB only on FE 10, if that counts. :/

Some of your ideas sound nice, tough. I have to try some of them.

Lyn, Rath, Dorcas, Lucius, Canas among others.

Lyn, Lucius and Canas are Mid Tier, Dorcas is High tier, Rath is Mid-Low a-

Oh, wait, that's what I'm not supposed to do. :D

But to be serious for one moment, in FE7 if you're moderately clever you can use most units. If you're pretty clever you can use even the worst units. :D

Also, sandman, have you played FEDS? Sounds like you'd love HM5. Just to give you an idea what it's like, most enemies have higher stats than your units. High defense, or attacking indirectly makes units epic.

ie. Archers are way more awesome. So are Knights. :D And Strategy.

FE DS isn't out in the United States yet, so no I have not played it. I'll probably pirate it if we don't get a release but there's a PAL version.

I've heard nothing but negative things about Lyn and Lucius here on the forums from the debate squad, Canas is frequently blasted, Dorcas has been considered "no higher than upper middle tier" according to Mekkah, and I'm told Rath is "terrible" due to his low joining level and being "locked to bows until promotion" as if that were the worst thing in the universe. I've never actually bothered to look at a tier list myself because I find the "established" view point on how to approach a game, any game, is just bad form and will end in tears.

Go look through some of our guides at PIH. (playithardcore.com) We aim to show people how to get through games without dying, reloading, etc. No luck is involved. Just your skill as a player. Some people might love Guy with all their hearts because he can murder 10 enemy units on an enemy phase, but I'd suggest to people that's never use such a risky tactic because if 4 of them hit (which is fairly possible if they have hit chances at even 20%), he's a goner. I like Lyn better because she's got better potential and more strategic value with the additional use of bows, plus a guaranteed promotion.

I've heard nothing but negative things about Lyn and Lucius here on the forums from the debate squad, Canas is frequently blasted, Dorcas has been considered "no higher than upper middle tier" according to Mekkah, and I'm told Rath is "terrible" due to his low joining level and being "locked to bows until promotion" as if that were the worst thing in the universe. I've never actually bothered to look at a tier list myself because I find the "established" view point on how to approach a game, any game, is just bad form and will end in tears.

Go look through some of our guides at PIH. (playithardcore.com) We aim to show people how to get through games without dying, reloading, etc. No luck is involved. Just your skill as a player. Some people might love Guy with all their hearts because he can murder 10 enemy units on an enemy phase, but I'd suggest to people that's never use such a risky tactic because if 4 of them hit (which is fairly possible if they have hit chances at even 20%), he's a goner. I like Lyn better because she's got better potential and more strategic value with the additional use of bows, plus a guaranteed promotion.

Heehee. We might go on about how much Lyn and Lucius suck, but they're not actually that bad. :D Truly, about mid tier. Dorcas COULD be considered upper mid, but honestly, he's probably lower high. Rath isn't very good, but meh. Anyway, good job for completing it anyway. I always use Lucius. :3 He's my favorite character in the game. :D

Personally, I see that Lucius easily beats out Serra for two reasons. Most likely being able to wield Aureola by endgame being one of them, unless you either spam Shine tomes on Serra or arena abuse Serra. And quite personally, Athos needs to lighten the load a little bit. But just give him a Luna tome, and Gandalf's look-alike becomes a happy camper.

Personally, I see that Lucius easily beats out Serra for two reasons. Most likely being able to wield Aureola by endgame being one of them, unless you either spam Shine tomes on Serra or arena abuse Serra. And quite personally, Athos needs to lighten the load a little bit. But just give him a Luna tome, and Gandalf's look-alike becomes a happy camper.

You wanna debate that? :D