More free main story heroes?

Midnox

You think we'd be getting more free heroes as we progress the main story like we did with Fjorm? I think so, as we are in search of Gunnthra, and have Laegjarn defeated, but alive, so she may be convinced to join our heroes soon. Another possibility I see is either getting promoted version of the Askr trio as separate characters with improved stats, or being given better skills to make them not fall too behind the meta. What you think?

We'll have to wait and see when the next story chapter drops, I suppose. We're getting pretty close to reuniting with Gunnthra, so if we get a free copy of her when we finally meet up, then I'd say it's possible we'll get free copies of the other OCs as well.

That said, I'm currently leaning towards no. They've already given us one free Legendary Hero at the start of Book II (Fjorm) to get us started on the whole Legendary Hero thing, and they gave us another through the whole vote thing that got us Legendary Ike. Giving away even more Legendaries kinda seems too generous to me, when they could easily make more money from people by making them pull for these characters instead through Legendary Hero Banners and such. I know the others aren't confirmed to be Legendary Heroes, but before Legendary Ike, many were expecting them to be due to Fjorm and Gunnthra's status.

...Although I may just be saying that because I pulled for Gunnthra, and getting a free one would make it feel like my orbs went to waste.

I feel like they gave Fjorm away because with her came the new mechanic of blessings. Since we've had legendary Gunnthrá come, I don't know how well it would go down to just give her away for free. I don't think they'll really give legendaries away for free anymore... unless people vote in an event for a free unit. Also keep in mind that it's not in their interest to just give units away without reason. They let us have a free brave unit, because that was an event that involved the community voting for characters to get special versions. It would leave a bad taste in the mouth if people wouldn't be able to get at least one. As I said, Fjorm was the introduction of the new mechanic. There was the other voting even for a free unit, where we got V!Ike. And I believe that the next free unit will likely be a choice of the CYL2 winners. I don't think they ever give away a free unit for nothing.

I think Fjorm was a special case to raise excitement for Book 2 and to make Legendary Heroes better received. I could see them doing something similar when starting the next book, but I don't think we'll get any more free story heroes during Book 2, especially ones that have already been available to summon.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I do wish we'd get more male OCs besides Alfonse and a weirdly destruction-fascinated fire king. Getting bored of so many females.

Same. Why can't Fjorm have a brother...

1 hour ago, Hekselka said:

Not sure about the other OC characters but I expect a Veronica unit reward at some point at the story.

Me too. And I mean... surely they'll give her out before we get the Brave version of her, right?

I would love it if we get Laegjarn for free because I want to have a full draco knight team and I missed NY!Camilla.  I also would love some more male OCs because Alphonse as the only good male OC is just sad, free Bruno would be great.  

13 minutes ago, Solvaij said:

Me too. And I mean... surely they'll give her out before we get the Brave version of her, right?

But then we'd miss out on the shenanigans of having Veronica put herself in a contract.

I think Veronica will come when the story allows it, and I'd rather them not rush the story to get her out before Brave Heroes II.

It would be nice if Laegjarn is free, but let's be honest on a banner she would pull in a fortune so I doubt it.  I think Fjorm was a special case, rather than something starting a new trend of free OC characters.  

I think the Askr trio will get some awesome upgrade that will be free however.  

2 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

If I recall correctly, Gunthra mentioned she has more than 1 sister besides Fjorm. So no male OC's just yet.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I do wish we'd get more male OCs besides Alfonse and a weirdly destruction-fascinated fire king. Getting bored of so many females.

58 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

I also would love some more male OCs because Alphonse as the only good male OC is just sad, free Bruno would be great.  

Next to Bruno coming back at some point and surely becoming playable (and some sudden random, unmentioned brothers in Book II), do not forget about good ol' Gustav (of which we know nothing about besides him being Alfonse and Sharena's daddy king and having other tactical opinions than his son). I'm sure he'll have his turn in the spotlight at some point (I'm guessing some legendary hero further down the line).

1 hour ago, C. Turtle said:

But then we'd miss out on the shenanigans of having Veronica put herself in a contract.

lol good point.

1 hour ago, C. Turtle said:

I think Veronica will come when the story allows it, and I'd rather them not rush the story to get her out before Brave Heroes II.

I agree, it'll just be kind of odd if/when we have her brave version and she's still derping around in story... Then again, I guess that's kind of what Gunthra's doing right now so....

Hope they let us get free Guntthra when she appears, I need a new Gunnthra to replace my current +Def -Atk.

Now on a serious note, the first Book, detailing the battle against Emblias princess, prince, and their contracted heroes, took 13 chapters and at least one paralogue to detail, not counting the Tempest Trials paralogue or the first Tempest Trials. We are currently on chapter 6 of Book 2, so there's a chance we may get another free hero by the "end" of Book 2, but we may also only get the new hero at the beginning of Book 3, which could very well just be Book 2.5.

Assuming we get one set of new heroes each month and that none of them receive paralogues, we can expect Book 2 Chapter 13 by September at the latest, which about coincides with when we received the first set of Brave Heroes. It'll be interesting to see what happens by then...

5 hours ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Next to Bruno coming back at some point and surely becoming playable (and some sudden random, unmentioned brothers in Book II), do not forget about good ol' Gustav (of which we know nothing about besides him being Alfonse and Sharena's daddy king and having other tactical opinions than his son). I'm sure he'll have his turn in the spotlight at some point (I'm guessing some legendary hero further down the line).

I doubt it, we haven't had a new old man in this game since launch that I recall.

still holdin' out for old man hector down the line.

5 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I doubt it, we haven't had a new old man in this game since launch that I recall.

still holdin' out for old man hector down the line.

I fail to see how that would stop him of becoming a playable OC in the future. No idea how old Gustav is, but how young are Hardin or Zephiel (36 for Zephiel according to some wiki, but I have no idea)? I have a feeling Gustav won't be very far from 40 years old or something. I know Fire Emblem favors mostly teens and young adults for obvious reasons, but that does not stop old characters to exist in the franchise. I just don't see why an older OC wouldn't be added at some point, especially if his introduction to the plot is interesting, just because they didn't add old Marcus, Nomah and the like yet. Old man Hector is pretty much my guess on the CYL version of him, btw (and I think to remember I am not the only one).

@MonkeyCheez3K Hardin isn't actually significantly older than Marth IIRC. Maybe mid-late 20s in his dark emperor incarnation? For Zephiel, no doubt he's older. He's a little younger than Eliwood and company in 7, meaning he's probably in the 14-16 range, and FE6 is I believe 20 years later for, as you said 34-36 age range.

Maybe, but I don't see them doing it soon. Laegjarn, as people have said, would probably rake in a ton of cash and get a lot of minnows and dolphins to spend. Granted, I guess one neutral copy isn't actually significantly going to decrease whales spending, and it would help player satisfaction, so it's not completely out of the question. Gunnthra would be surprising, but I'd welcome a second copy.

As much as I'd like Gustav to be playable, I really don't see it happening.

Speaking of Hardin, I really wish his good incarnation had been playable, even if he would just be an unremarkable lance cav. He was a godsend on my H5 SD playthrough.

EDIT: I take the Hardin thing back. According to the wiki, he's 31 in book 1.

Edited by bottlegnomes

11 minutes ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

I fail to see how that would stop him of becoming a playable OC in the future. No idea how old Gustav is, but how young are Hardin or Zephiel (36 for Zephiel according to some wiki, but I have no idea)? I have a feeling Gustav won't be very far from 40 years old or something. I know Fire Emblem favors mostly teens and young adults for obvious reasons, but that does not stop old characters to exist in the franchise. I just don't see why an older OC wouldn't be added at some point, especially if his introduction to the plot is interesting, just because they didn't add old Marcus, Nomah and the like yet. Old man Hector is pretty much my guess on the CYL version of him, btw (and I think to remember I am not the only one).

It did not, but i'd rather they to extreme side of old but OP and wise sage like Gotoh or Athos, or just abnormally looks like barely older than their kids like Ismaire or Mikoto. 

I don't really see any more being free. They'll probably be used as Legendary Heroes like Gunnthra.

I'm just curious as to when we'll learn the identity of the other Nifl princess as has been alluded to so far. Perhaps there will be a mention when Fjorm and Gunnthra reunite in the next chapter (hopefully at least).

On 3/31/2018 at 7:26 PM, Solvaij said:

lol good point.

I agree, it'll just be kind of odd if/when we have her brave version and she's still derping around in story... Then again, I guess that's kind of what Gunthra's doing right now so....

But at least Gunnthra had her perks, Veronica is way behind the meta. I can't help but think how ironic was to think her penalty bonuses where deadly back in the day, now even the dog has it XD. Still, I don't expect the story to be rushed just to make her playable before her (likely) far superior brave version comes

2 hours ago, Midnox said:

But at least Gunnthra had her perks, Veronica is way behind the meta. I can't help but think how ironic was to think her penalty bonuses where deadly back in the day, now even the dog has it XD. Still, I don't expect the story to be rushed just to make her playable before her (likely) far superior brave version comes

I'd imagine as soon as they add regular her, or at least shortly after, she'd get a refinement, because yeah, she's way out of date in terms of power creep. Now Bruno on the other hand, well, vantage tome...

I think we'll get free versions of characters as we meet them, like with Fjorm. Really hope that's the case when the group meets Gunnthra in story. The narrative is in a place where we don't have anything in our way from reaching her since we captured Laegjarn, at least.

Somewhat related, I suspect that Veronica is our next Legendary, since we are getting a new green unit. Getting a free version of her makes sense as well. The only characters I would think they wouldn't give us for free are those we canonically kill (if that ever happens).