Difference between FE9 and FE10 characters

Mekkah

Which units do you think finally got their stuff together between FE9 and FE10? And which seemed to have forgotten how to be useful to an army?

I have played neither game, but I thought it'd be interesting nonetheless.

Haar has gone from a rather mediocre unit to your best unit for 21821 chapters straight.

Elincia turned from absolute garbage to a unit featured in about everyone's teams.

Sothe seemed like a bit of a joke character in FE9 (where only thief logic saves him), and then became your Dawn Brigade Babysitter.

Kieran had glory as a top tier in FE9, but the fate of the Crimean Knights brings him a lack of availability, and a general lack of Spd, too.

Mist was a very useful healer in FE9, and in FE10, it seems she just got a bit dwarfed by everyone.

Ike is even more amazing.

Titania is okay, but not nearly as good.

Same for Oscar.

Boyd might be a little worse, but still awesome.

Rhys is a good deal worse.

Shinon is a hell of a lot better.

Gatrie is about the same overall.

Same for Soren.

Mia is way better.

Ilyana might be a little worse.

Same for Mist, but Mist is still very good.

Rolf is damn well amazing.

Marcia is a bit worse, but still pretty good.

Lethe is worse.

Mordecai is worse.

Volke is better at fighting, but worse overall.

Kieran is worse.

Brom is about the same, maybe a bit better.

Nephenee is majorly better.

Zihark is about the same.

Sothe is tons better.

Jill is arguably worse, but more-or-less the same.

I think Astrid is almost just as good, most say she sucks. <_<

Never used Makalov in either.

Tormod is worse from availability.

Muarim is worse.

Stefan is arguably worse.

Devdan is the same, still pretty bad.

Tanith is better stats wise.

Reyson is tons better.

Janaff and Ulki are about the same.

Calill is better.

Tauroneo is better.

Haar is uberly better.

Ranulf is probably a bit better.

Bastian is about the same.

Lucia can go either way really.

Geoffrey is better.

Elincia is way better.

Nasir is arguably the same but has better utility.

Ena is probably better.

Tibarn is better by a lot.

Naesala is a bit better.

Giffca is better.

Ike is actually 1337, unlike in Path of Radiance.

Astrid got nerfed (without blossom, she sucks ass) the laguz (except royals) got nerfed (quick depletion of the transformation gauge ftl), and Titania is even better than before.

Mordecai is not bad he is awesome. In this game he has more chances of capping things while in fe9 he had little due to the lack of level.

Actually, he's worse for the same reason that non-royal Laguz got worse:

Their transformation gauge goes down too quick. And Wildheart sucks.

Actually, he's worse for the same reason that non-royal Laguz got worse:

Their transformation gauge goes down too quick. And Wildheart sucks.

I get my way around that. At 15 and use an Olivi grass. That's what i do anyway since i like laguz. So yeah :P

All the horse units are pretty much crap in this one compared to FE9. Caps are the reason. None of them can get good in any stat compared to other units, except maybe defense.

All the fliers got buffed. Haar is unmitigated awesomeness throughout the whole game. The Pegasus knights might be a little worse for the wear over their stats being somewhat understellar for awhile, but the ease Triangle Attacks are pulled off this time around more than makes up for it.

Zihark got ruined. He's one of my least favorite units in the game as he can't dodge a damn thing unless he's combined with yet another earth affinity unit. His HP and defense suck the big one, and his luck is practically non-existant. Edward outclasses him in every way but speed and skill and resistance before Edward even promotes to Swordmaster, and most of that is because he's limited by the T1 stat limit of 20 per stat.

Laguz are much better overall, I think. It takes a bit getting used to how the gauges work compared to the last one, but knowing when and how to shift your guys in and out of laguz form in order to keep them with the ability to shift whenever shit is about to hit the fan is half the fun of using them.

Laguz are much better overall, I think. It takes a bit getting used to how the gauges work compared to the last one, but knowing when and how to shift your guys in and out of laguz form in order to keep them with the ability to shift whenever shit is about to hit the fan is half the fun of using them.

I totaly agree with you. Most people just leave them transformed and that's why they have such a hard time. Personally they are really great.

Ike's strength and defense got better, resistance got worse, kicks way more ass than in PoR

Oscar got worse cause of his horrible caps

Boyd's defense got better, speed got worse, everything else is the same (he still kicks tons of ass)

Rhys don't really know. I've only used him for healing and he's still good at that. Maybe worse cause he gets doubled by everything in part 3

Soren's about the same except his strength is better so no more AS loss

Gatrie got better, he's faster

Shinon and Elincia are so much better

Mia is better. I thought she was only lacking strength and def in PoR but she dodges so much in this game and she actually does good damage

Rolf, Nephenee & Reyson got better

Kieran and Geoffrey are worse cause of lack of availability and caps (still good though)

Tormod is worse cause of horrible availability

Laguz are worse cause they gain like no experience for killing or hurting enemies. Sometimes they do less damage than other units and they still don't get experience.

Everyone else is more or less the same

Boyd might be a little worse, but still awesome.

Ilyana might be a little worse.

Zihark is about the same.

Stefan is arguably worse.

Naesala is a bit better.

I don't agree with these.

Once Boyd catches speed, nothing can stop him.

Ilyana is way better. (At least for me.)

Zihark is better.

Stefan is also better.

Naesala is damn better. (Come on! He can one-round a dragon in RD! Could he do that in PoR?)

I don't agree with these.

Once Boyd catches speed, nothing can stop him.

Zihark is better.

Stefan is also better.

Naesala is damn better. (Come on! He can one-round a dragon in RD! Could he do that in PoR?)

I did say Boyd is awesome. I just think he did a bit better in PoR.

She's good in both.

Maybe, but only barely. He was quite good in PoR.

No way. He was available for half the game and came majorly overleveled in PoR. Now he comes near the end when you could easily have 3 TB's better than him at lower levels.

He couldn't do it in PoR because none were available for him. He's better for sure. What I said may have been a bit of an understatement.

Brom got hit with a massive nerf bat, now that I think about it. He's miserably slow (they gave all the other generals good speed gains, which I find bizarre), and his attack and defense really aren't all that good. His inherent skill is neat, but it works off speed, so he rarely activates it.

He's got pretty decent playtime, but is pretty lackluster for the same reason Horse Units are (re: crappy caps) but without the ability to move again. Axes took a huge nerf in general as well, so even having access to them doesn't help him a whole lot.

Did we mention Nephenee being better in FE10? She's pretty great in FE9 after you level her up, but you don't even have to go through the underpowered unit phase as she starts out pretty awesome and gets only better.

Ilyana took a huge hit in usefulness. She's so miserable, with her terrible attack power (for anyone's standard, let alone mages), and horrendous base stats. Thunder comes in handy more often for it's specialty reasons than the other types of magic, but not enough to warrant even getting an S rank over A rank, let alone bother with the SS rank tome. At least she had pretty good supports in FE9 (an A and a B is better than just an A) and resistance was so broken you either did a HUGE load of damage or none at all.

Both archers got a huge buff, if only because Marksman is a totally hax class. The fact they have better stat gains all around, join at usable levels, and require little to no work to become excellent without abusing bonus experience is just a major bonus.

I did say Boyd is awesome. I just think he did a bit better in PoR.

She's good in both.

Maybe, but only barely. He was quite good in PoR.

No way. He was available for half the game and came majorly overleveled in PoR. Now he comes near the end when you could easily have 3 TB's better than him at lower levels.

He couldn't do it in PoR because none were available for him. He's better for sure. What I said may have been a bit of an understatement.

Stefan - I didn't think of the availability. But now when I do, then I can see your point.

Naesala - Sure there were. Three red dragons in the endgame, right?

So you're saying that any "skilled tactician" knows when and where to have your laguz. Granted. However, any skilled tactician knows how to use any character at any time to the fullest, so that's not quite a valid argument, if you ask me...

Lol. Ilyana is terrible in Radiant Dawn (bad base stats for her level, too slow and fragile, uses the worst kind of magic in the game). She's still better than Micaiah and Sanaki though if you ask me.

Edited by Black Luster Soldier

Lol. Ilyana is terrible in Radiant Dawn (bad base stats for her level, too slow and fragile, uses the worst kind of magic in the game). She's still better than Micaiah and Sanaki though if you ask me.

Actually, her base stats seem perfectly fine. It's that speed growth that's the owie.

Anyway, Ike became better, even got axes!

Titania is now able to be recognised as good by anyone.

Shinon became super special awesome.

Haar became King of the Beorcs.

Mia got good, even has some strength to her.

Elincia became amazing.

Gatrie must of ran some laps those three years, his speed is good now.

Rolf is actually usable now.

Sothe can actually promote and be useful now. (although, stealing still made him have uses in Path of Radiance)

Astrid became really bad.

Lucia gets an unwanted haircut :(

Poor Muarim and Tormod get neglected

That's what comes to mind right now.

Lucia's hair WAS insanely fugly. It was like some ugly fungus thing bouncing around on her back. It was just WAY too long and WAY too much of a hairstyle that absolutely screamed "A man created me!!!"

I think I'll torture you for a while.

Oh yeah, Mist got hotter, and plus less jailbait!

Let's see, Ulki and Janaff got super awesome.

Nephenee seems less impressive.

Illyana's hair is strange looking.

Strange, I'm on a magic user-playthrough right now, and Ilyana is my best unit. She has capped speed, hp, and... strenght, I think.

Strange, I'm on a magic user-playthrough right now, and Ilyana is my best unit. She has capped speed, hp, and... strenght, I think.

the thing against her is her bad caps and the fact that she's stuck with thunder magic until promotion