Let's talk about Combat Manuals

Garlyle

47 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Just give me the Lon'qus

Why am I so unlucky that I have only pulled one? ;~;

That just means Anna wants Orbs that are paid for with blood and sweat. The dirtier your cash, the smellier those Orbs will be to attract the RNG Goddess to you.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Hilda said:

this change was needed weeks before cleaning up my barracks ._. i could have stored all those useless units into combat manuals for skill inheritance if i needed them!!

same here this should have been announced earlier. oh well rip those ghb units and other fodder lol

Oh, thank Naga for this! Managing the space in my barracks has always been one of the least enjoyable aspects of the game. My barracks are pretty much always full, and deciding which units to send home was always a pain. I hate having to hold onto so many units as prospective fodder, so this is an update I feel was sorely needed. Here I was, hoping for another free increase to the size of our barracks, but this is so much better!

Also, it does away with the unnecessary aspect of having to level a unit up just to turn them into fodder, which is another nice feature. I've always had enough shards on hand to get the fodder units to level 20, but even just using those is still time wasted navigating through menus.

I'm definitely happy about this, it's a nice quality of life improvement.

7 hours ago, Landmaster said:

worthless Titanias

Them's fightin' words. not really

33 minutes ago, MilodicMellodi said:

I wonder if there's a chance the price for raising the rarity of Combat Manuals will be lower, as they can't be used in battle. That would be absolutely amazing :)

That would be fabulous.  It would also be nice for +10ing 4* available units.

I've been wanting a barracks expansion for months now, but this looks to be even better.  My 40 Selenas and Barsts will no longer be taking up space in my barracks.

I still got some questions about the Combat Manual

14 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Merge opportunities for Alfonse, Sharena, and Anna. This gets around the fact that it makes no sense to be able to summon additional copies of them.

How does this work? You can't send the Askr Trio home so how would you even sell them? And if you could, wouldn't that mean you have to buy them off someone if you ever want to use them again?

Combat Manuals can be sent home sold, presumably for their feather equivalent.

Do we know that whenever someone wants to sell a Combat Manual, it's already a set price? I played enough MMO to tell you that people will be charging outrageous prices for some limited of time items & armors. Someone could be charging Subaki for 999,999 feathers just for QR 3 or getting BK for merges.

Skill shop. Maybe using Arena medals, which would actually give players a reason to finally use their massive stockpiles of dueling sword restores.

Why Arena medals instead the Universal Crystals? I seen more than my share of people being completely maxed out on the crystals.

13 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

I personally have been extremely bitter with the direction IS has taken these past few months, but this... IS SO FANTASTIC THAT HAS ME QUESTIONING WHETHER IT'S THE SAME DEVELOPER TEAM PULLING THE STRINGS. This will have a great start and has extremely good potential

I must have been missing here, because all I wanted at the  end of the day was more diversity in the upcoming banners & a better way to organize my barracks. I got at least the latter.

Edited by Zangetsu

4 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

I still got some questions about the Combat Manual

How does this work? You can't send the Askr Trio home so how would you even sell them? And if you could, wouldn't that mean you have to buy them off someone if you ever want to use them again?

Do we know that whenever someone wants to sell a Combat Manual, it's already a set price? I played enough MMO to tell you that people will be charging outrageous prices for some limited of time items & armors. Someone could be charging Subaki for 999,999 feathers just for QR 3 or getting BK for merges.

Why Arena medals instead the Universal Crystals? I seen more than my share of people being completely maxed out on the crystals.

I must have been missing here, because all I wanted at the  end of the day was more diversity in the upcoming banners & a better way to organize my barracks. I got at least the latter.

I don't think the selling is going to be between players like an auction house.  I think it's just the term they use for exchanging them for a set amount of feathers.

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I don't think the selling is going to be between players like an auction house.  I think it's just the term they use for exchanging them for a set amount of feathers.

Is there a reason why I should believe that, because I really, really, want to.

I rather not have to spend 999,999 feathers for QR 3. In hindsight, I regret upgrading F!Takumi, really should've been more frugal with my feathers.

For that matter, should we be holding off skill inheriting until SEP 7?

Edited by Zangetsu

2 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Is there a reason why I should believe that, because I really, really, want to.

I rather not have to spend 999,999 feathers for QR 3. In hindsight, I regret upgrading F!Takumi, really should've been more frugal with my feathers.

For that matter, should we be holding off skill inheriting until SEP 7?

IS seems to want to prevent trading of any sort between players.  If you could sell stuff between accounts, you could just open a new account, reroll until you got what you wanted, then put it on the auction house and then scoop it up on your other account.

1 hour ago, Zangetsu said:

Because the crystals are actually used, unlike the medals. The medals are a complete dead weight because they are infinitely farmable.

I’ve gone from 999,999 crystals to below 230k sharding up HM bots.

You won’t be able to turn the Askr trio into books but you’ll be able to get rid of the books you might get from Intsys, I guess. But why?

48 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

You won’t be able to turn the Askr trio into books but you’ll be able to get rid of the books you might get from Intsys, I guess. But why?

The same reason some players send home free Olivias, Fjorm, and VL!Ike or not choosing BH!Lyn and AOTB!Veronica, and then complain about not having guides to help them.

Barracks management and planning does not come naturally to everyone.

3 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Extra copies of them could be distributed as quest rewards to be used as merge fodder. You wouldn't be able to turn your original Alfonse, Sharena, or Anna into books for the same reason you can't send them home or use them as Skill Inheritance fodder.

Selling a Combat Manual would almost certainly be identical to sending home a Hero because there is no other menu option for converting Combat Manuals into feathers in the same manner.

Because Arena medals are (1) farmable, which encourages playing of game modes that reward the resource, and (2) have very little use, being only used for refining at the moment and not being the limiting resource for it.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Extra copies of them could be distributed as quest rewards to be used as merge fodder. You wouldn't be able to turn your original Alfonse, Sharena, or Anna into books for the same reason you can't send them home or use them as Skill Inheritance fodder.

We're over a year & half now & they still haven't release any of them as rewards. What makes you so certain this will be the case?

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Selling a Combat Manual would almost certainly be identical to sending home a Hero because there is no other menu option for converting Combat Manuals into feathers in the same manner.

Because Arena medals are (1) farmable, which encourages playing of game modes that reward the resource, and (2) have very little use, being only used for refining at the moment and not being the limiting resource for it.

So when we sell these combat manuals, do we get Feathers or Arena Medal as the in-game currency?

1) We're over a year & half now & they still haven't release any of them as rewards. What makes you so certain this will be the case?

2) So when we sell these combat manuals, do we get Feathers or Arena Medal as the in-game currency?

1) Because it wouldn’t have made any sense for anyone to have more than one copy of Alfonse, Sharena, and Anna. They are locals to Askr and aren’t summoned from anywhere. Books aren’t characters, they are “essences” of characters and thus wouldn’t violate the law of conservation of the Askran trio.

Also remember how long it took for the trio to get their weapons forged? Intsys cares not for the time.

2) Feathers, likely. You’re getting rid of books the same way you get rid of characters, and getting rid of characters gives you feathers. Medals have a clear source and obtain method: that is, fight in the arena ad nauseam.

2 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

We're over a year & half now & they still haven't release any of them as rewards. What makes you so certain this will be the case?

They didn't add Combat Manuals until now, so there was no way to add "extra copies" of them in accordance with their unique status.

Hmmm, could it be possible in the future that quests give you special Combat Manuals? Like not character type, but one that can only be used to merge with any unit for +1? Or a Manual that teaches a single Lv3 skill? It might sound weird right now, but I see potential in it.

2 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Hmmm, could it be possible in the future that quests give you special Combat Manuals? Like not character type, but one that can only be used to merge with any unit for +1? Or a Manual that teaches a single Lv3 skill? It might sound weird right now, but I see potential in it.

I don't think they'd be that generous. It'd do too much to undermine the incentives they use to get people to spend orbs.

Wouldn't be surprised if they completely bypass the idea of giving merges to the Askr Trio through manuals, as that could reduce the number of players burning orbs (and potentially real money) to obtain Arena Bonus units that are worth more than the +0 Askrs.

2 hours ago, Azuni said:

Wouldn't be surprised if they completely bypass the idea of giving merges to the Askr Trio through manuals, as that could reduce the number of players burning orbs (and potentially real money) to obtain Arena Bonus units that are worth more than the +0 Askrs.

They could trickle it in as a taste of power. Like, allow one of the Askr's to get a merge during their Arena season right before a key, powerful banner (when in doubt, legendary banner, I guess) where those units are also bonuses. "Here's a nibble of power, but here's what you could have if you pulled."