Heard or Played The Series BEFORE Super Smash Bros. Melee

Steven Tyler

I wonder, if anyone ever had played or even heard a little bit about the Fire Emblem series before the populaity of Super Smash Bros. Melee. I don't think most people had, but I heard some had imported Fire Emblem 4 in America in large numbers.

I personally, never even heard of the series until Melee and my first thought was that Marth and Roy were Legend of Zelda characters because of the whole mideval shit and they were on Link's stage.

I was introduced to Fire Emblem by a pamphlet that came packaged with my copy of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for the GBA. This was long before I played SSBM. Unlike most people, I don't particularly care for Smash Bros. : /

Ironically, i played i fire emblem game BEFORE realizing that Marth and Roy were part of the series.

i didn't have Melee, and i would only play it once in a while, so i didn't become familiar with Marth and Roy.

i found out about the series when i went to wallyworld and saw Path of Radiance. i thought "hey it looks cool!" and bought it without giving it a second thought.

I have somewhat heard of it before playing Melee. I read something about three of the secret characters in Melee itself in an article in Nintendo Power magazine, and Marth was among those three SSBM characters. (The other two being Ganon and Luigi.) And when I read his description in Nintendo Power magazine, I had then known FE was an RPG, but I didn't know how it was. (And yet, when I did get and play Melee, as a guy who didn't even play FE at the time, I knew right away that Marth and Roy weren't from the same exact game. That was a common misconception at the time. All thanks to carefully reading, not only their trophy descriptions in english, but also what platform their games were on via the Japanese language option.)

EDIT: I had no interest in it even after SSBM, but after I picked up FE9, I've became very interested in it.

Edited by Little Al

While I did often use Marth in SSBM, his and Roy's presence in the game had nothing to do with my buying of the game, but yes it would have been my first exposure to the franchise, aside from the fact I forgot about it long before buying the game.

I also had no Roy/Eliwood issues, unlike many.

Edited by ZephyrShakuraus

I saw images of FE 5 and FE 6 soon after playing Melee. I also read an article of Nintendo Power ( I believe it was the December 2002 issue) that announced a Fire Emblem title for the GBA, although it wasn't 100% sure if it would leave Japan. A year later I got my hand on it.

As I was a diehard Sega fan at the time, I couldn't care less about Nintendo's franchises until Sega's demise in early 2000s, so no, I haven't heard about the Fire Emblem series before I got a GameCube and Melee.

A few years ago in school ...

Friend: "I downloaded this cool game called Fire Emblem."

Me: "Isn't that the game where Marth and Roy are from?"

Friend: "Roy appears in the ending."

Me: "Really? Cool, you need to show me the game sometime."

... and so it began ...

Even while I was playing SSBM with Roy (He was my second main at the time, behind Pikachu) I had no interest or intention of playing Fire Emblem. It said "Japan Only" by the trophy description, so I assumed we were never going to see a Fire Emblem game in the UK.

My friend came back from a caravan holiday from France, with a copy of Fire Emblem 7. He gave me a go, I liked it, but I wasn't hooked, saying "It's like Pokemon, but Pokemon's still better". How ignorant and wrong I was. I bought the game for myself after my friend persuaded me some more to get it... And so it began.

Edited by Raven

Yes, Melee was my first exposure to the series. I heard something about Ike much later on (though still before Brawl). I once played in a Brawl tourney (being a n00b game store tourney, unfortunately) and I got into the finals. For that, I could pick a free game from a long list of crap titles such as "Wii Family Ski" and, somehow, Radiant Dawn. I recalled FE being a strategy/RPG something and thought "Wait, what the hell is Fire Emblem doing in there"? And so, I got it. And so, I played it. It was love.

I'm only grateful that I didn't read any reviews beforehand. Appearantly, RD got a lot of bad reviews, and mostly because it isn't innovative (see: waggletastic) enough.