Ys IX: Monstrum Nox: Adol the Black Japan Release Sep 26th

Jedi

Looks like we might have the first mainline ys game to not star Adol (although he could still be), Origin was a prequel to the entire lore of the franchise so it made sense for him not to be involved besides being a bonus character. 

Looks to be quite the interesting game so far. Considering the success of 8 with the fandom, winning last years Users Choice award even in Japan (Which Cold Steel 4 did this year so Falcom is doing well in Japan in general) and getting a little steam here despite the hilairously bad localization by NISA. It looks like they want to try something even more different. 

Which Kondo has stated a few times before this, that Trails and Ys both are going to be changing up a bit in the near future. This seems to be holding true to that.

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, guess I step up my game in learning japanese if I don't want to wait for the localization which takes just damn long every time.

Can't wait to see how it turns out, looks interesting that Adol does not seem to be the focus. Also hope that it helps more to the world building.

But for now I still have to play Trails in the Sky SC and start with Cold Steel soon. 

Interesting. I have yet to play any of the Ys games, but I am interested in trying them. I was hoping to get Ys VIII, but the video game store that I go to hadn't even heard of it. 

As someone who knows nothing about the series other than that it stars a red-haired explorer that keeps getting shipwrecked, I was wondering: is there anything I should knw beforehand? (EDIT: this question has been answered below).

4 hours ago, Jedi said:
Considering the success of 8 with the fandom, winning last years Users Choice award even in Japan (Which Cold Steel 4 did this year so Falcom is doing well in Japan in general) and getting a little steam here despite the hilairously bad localization by NISA. It looks like they want to try something even more different. 

I had heard about the bad localisation at the game's release. Did they ever fix that? Is that problem still there on the Switch version? (Also, which version would you recommend: PS4 or Switch?) 

Edited by vanguard333

4 minutes ago, know_naim said:

@vanguard333

Wouldn't recommend the Switch version, since it's only 30fps. For such a high-octane game like Ys 60 crucial. 

Thanks. So PS4 version then? Also, did that one come with the fixed localisation already in the disc, or am I in for a long update before I can play the game?

32 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

As someone who knows nothing about the series other than that it stars a red-haired explorer that keeps getting shipwrecked, I was wondering: is there anything I should knw beforehand?

Ys is made that way that you can start at any point in my opinion. Only Ys 1-2 should be played in that numeric order. But you can start the rest where you want. So I think you can just dive into the series and don't need to know that much. I don't want to say too much, cause I fear I would be spoiling it. 

1 minute ago, Stroud said:

Ys is made that way that you can start at any point in my opinion. Only Ys 1-2 should be played in that numeric order. But you can start the rest where you want. So I think you can just dive into the series and don't need to know that much. I don't want to say too much, cause I fear I would be spoiling it. 

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

As someone who knows nothing about the series other than that it stars a red-haired explorer that keeps getting shipwrecked, I was wondering: is there anything I should know beforehand?

From what I have played (Origins, Oath, Ark of Napishtim, and Ys I&II), the YS series is a bit difficult. Ys I&II are very different from the mainline games, while I have played a certain era of YS games before the modern ones. Modern YS games started with VII (Lacrimosa of DANA is also a modern title), which play a little bit differently. // In short, I&II have a "bump" system, the "classic" era has a top down view of the gameplay, and the modern era is full 3D gameplay.

For the most part, you can start anywhere (YS I&II are meant to be played together, while Origins is tied in to those two). Each story is standalone, even if there may be callbacks and characters from earlier titles. I personally get my titles on Steam for my computer, playing with a USB Controller.

Either way, I hope you enjoy the franchise! It has amazing music and is very fun to play.

17 minutes ago, Sire said:

From what I have played (Origins, Oath, Ark of Napishtim, and Ys I&II), the YS series is a bit difficult. Ys I&II are very different from the mainline games, while I have played a certain era of YS games before the modern ones. Modern YS games started with VII (Lacrimosa of DANA is also a modern title), which play a little bit differently. // In short, I&II have a "bump" system, the "classic" era has a top down view of the gameplay, and the modern era is full 3D gameplay.

For the most part, you can start anywhere (YS I&II are meant to be played together, while Origins is tied in to those two). Each story is standalone, even if there may be callbacks and characters from earlier titles. I personally get my titles on Steam for my computer, playing with a USB Controller.

Either way, I hope you enjoy the franchise! It has amazing music and is very fun to play.

Thanks.

I had heard that Ys VIII had a rather bad localisation when it released, and that they fixed that. Does the PS4 version have the fixed localisation or the bad localisation?

Definitely looks a lot edgier than any Ys game in the past; maybe the "restart" refers to a paradigm shift where they're going to try and focus on different time periods and different casts from now on instead of Adol and his bi-yearly quests to save the world?

I flat-out gave up on Trails, but I get the feeling at least the gameplay of Ys would be more appealing to me.

48 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Thanks. So PS4 version then? Also, did that one come with the fixed localisation already in the disc, or am I in for a long update before I can play the game?

You need to download some patches, the game didn't ship on PS4 with the fixed localisation. IIRC the updates add up to roughly 1.2GB

On the topic of Ys 1&2, you can complete each in about 4 hours or so, but I'd recommend using guides as some parts of the games are archaic in game design due to being remakes of old games. You can find them on Steam. The bump system takes a lot of getting used to in case anyone tries it out

I can't wait to not be able to play this game?. Maybe if I attempt at building a high performance PC in like a year or two

Edited by silveraura25

5 hours ago, Stroud said:

I think 6 and 7 should be played in numeric too because 7 has some aspects from 6 come back, but it’s not as direct as 1 and 2.

Sounds like Adol is still around actually, figured I jumped the gun.

Edited by Jedi

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

I think 6 and 7 should be played in numeric too because 7 has some aspects from 6 come back, but it’s not as direct as 1 and 2.

I played them in opposite order and it was just fine. I think I know what you mean. But in that case it would also help to play Memory of Celceta before Ys 6, which was released after and changed some thing compared to Ys 4 ( Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun). And in case of Celceta they added some background to some characters of Ys 6.

That is the thing I like about Ys, its a world which flows and characters you see in one part of Ys you will eventually meet again in another one. 

And starting with Ys 4 they dropped the Idea of being totally chronological, because it plays before Ys 3. Which makes it a bit difficult to pic the right order not looking at somewhere in which order the stories take place.  

Edited by Stroud

1 hour ago, Stroud said:

I played them in opposite order and it was just fine. I think I know what you mean. But in that case it would also help to play Memory of Celceta before Ys 6, which was released after and changed some thing compared to Ys 4 ( Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun). And in case of Celceta they added some background to some characters of Ys 6.

That is the thing I like about Ys, its a world which flows and characters you see in one part of Ys you will eventually meet again in another one. 

And starting with Ys 4 they dropped the Idea of being totally chronological, because it plays before Ys 3. Which makes it a bit difficult to pic the right order not looking at somewhere in which order the stories take place.  

Yeah, that is very true, for instance 8 is before 6 and 7 haha.

"Has Superpower Actions based on Monstrum's supernatural abilities. Can run on walls or move as a shadow "

Wall running in Ys? I'm getting excited! Loved how they brought the fast-paced action back with VIII, so hopefully we get more of that in IX.   

6 hours ago, know_naim said:

"Has Superpower Actions based on Monstrum's supernatural abilities. Can run on walls or move as a shadow "

Wall running in Ys? I'm getting excited! Loved how they brought the fast-paced action back with VIII, so hopefully we get more of that in IX.   

Adol getting all sorts of cool actions sounds awesome in general. Wall running always looks cool yes.

• 5 weeks later...

So apparently there was an interview in Dengeki Playstation, some translated snippets (I'm copypasting the contents of the short Siliconera article linked):

2019-01-25_142905

“This Adol will be depicted differently than what we’ve seen thus far in the series. Everything about him, including his appearance is a bit surprising.”

“Barduke is a prison city that is full of mysteries.It will tell a drama that can only be told in such a place.”

“The sense of scale you get from being in the game’s towns will be the biggest yet in the series.”

“The Monstrum with the skirt and hood (pictured above) will have the most unexpected movement of all the Monstrum. Pay attention to the area around her feet.”

671_ys9_02_cs1w1_720x

“The pink-haired Monstrum is a powerful one. The character wears an equipment based on an animal which could be a hint of some sort.”

“The blonde Monstrum’s attitude and feathers on its shoulders is a key focus.”

“If you look at the girl holding a lantern and compare it with the countdown image, you might discover something new.”

“As for the Monstrum with the long coat, it is characterized by its agility.”

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another bump https://www.siliconera.com/2019/02/27/ys-ix-teases-three-playable-characters-including-a-dual-wielder-and-a-nekomimi/#KGHH8vEkhGWtAMU3.16

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals this is a new playable character who wields two swords at a time.

The magazine also teases that in addition to this character, a cat-eared, silver-haired woman, and black-haired young man

It also mentions that the “Nox” in the title “Ys IX: Monstrum Nox” is an important point, and that the concept of “night” will function as an in-game system.

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is due out for PlayStation 4 in Japan in 2019.