• Julius: Scion of Darkness
    • Duma: God of Strength
    • Idunn: Dark Priestess
    • Hardin: Dark Emperor
    • Garon: King of Nohr
    • Robin: Fell Reincarnation
    • Surtr: Ruler of Flame

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/2019 at 03:58 PM

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I never said I didn't ever want responses. I just don't want/need responses that are needlessly attacking my opinions/views like you've been doing. But you don't know when to stop, do you?

Ever heard the saying, "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all"? Because by calling characters "garbage" all you accomplish is provoke others to come defend. 

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

You're still insisting that I'm wrong to disagree with this and won't say why. Again, why is that so wrong?

We already explained it. Several times.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Ever heard the saying, "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all"? Because by calling characters "garbage" all you accomplish is provoke others to come defend. 

I don't provoke anyone by doing that, actually. Because plenty of other users here use that word as well without having anyone respond.

4 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

We already explained it. Several times.

You did not. All you two said was why you think Grima is fine. Not why I'm not allowed to disagree with you. And that's because there's no good reason, and I'm allowed to disagree with you.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't provoke anyone by doing that, actually. Because plenty of other users here use that word as well without having anyone respond.

And plenty of times, there are those that would come to defend. Doesn't change what I said. 

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

You did not. All you two said was why you think Grima is fine. Not why I'm not allowed to disagree with you. And that's because there's no good reason, and I'm allowed to disagree with you.

We technically explained that by extension. 

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

You're still insisting that I'm wrong to disagree with this and won't say why. Again, why is that so wrong?

Not saying you’re wrong. I’m saying I disagree with your stance that Grima needs depth and nuance to be a good villain cause he doesn’t. The reason being is because it wouldn’t add anything of note to awakening’s story. It just wouldn’t. It’s like saying your recent winning piece in the SF write your butt off II would be better off without the OCs. Removing that aspect of the story would actually detract from the overall narrative you’re trying to present and overall wouldn’t have added anything. The same logic applies here. Adding more depth and nuance to grima as a character would be pointless cause he doesn’t need those things to be a good villain. To say that he does is missing the point entirely. It wouldn’t add anything to the story being presented only detract from it. That is what our argument is here. You’re not wrong for disliking him or for disagreeing with us cause at the end of the day we all have different opinions. We’re just disagreeing with you on the point that Grima is a bad villain because he lacks depth and nuance as a character.

34 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Then maybe don't say anything yourself if you don't want responses? If you're going to post something like that, you better be ready to have someone say that you're wrong and why you're wrong.

though i have to say (while i agree with you on all of your points), it's not going to make one iota of difference. I am laughing really at the irony of this argument. I truly am though. 

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Not saying you’re wrong. I’m saying I disagree with your stance that Grima needs depth and nuance to be a good villain cause he doesn’t. The reason being is because it wouldn’t add anything of note to awakening’s story. It just wouldn’t. It’s like saying your recent winning piece in the SF write your butt off II would be better off without the OCs. Removing that aspect of the story would actually detract from the overall narrative you’re trying to present and overall wouldn’t have added anything. The same logic applies here. Adding more depth and nuance to grima as a character would be pointless cause he doesn’t need those things to be a good villain. To say that he does is missing the point entirely. It wouldn’t add anything to the story being presented only detract from it. That is what our argument is here. You’re not wrong for disliking him or for disagreeing with us cause at the end of the day we all have different opinions. We’re just disagreeing with you on the point that Grima is a bad villain because he lacks depth and nuance as a character.

pretty much. 

I kinda like the timer changes they made for the VG, this way I can safely play once before going to sleep, once before going out and not lose any points (outside of multiplier hours, but that varies by team anyways) until I go back home. I also like how I can tackle the 5 fights quests in one go instead of having to wait half an hour per battle. 

I don't know about the half multiplier for the winning army but judgement on that will wait until this VG is over.

The only thing I know is that Idunn is absolutely destroying Duma, and that makes me happy.

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Yeah, and I'm not saying you and omega can't have your opinions, I just have an issue if you tell me mine is wrong just because you disagree.

Also, some people in that contest thought I didn't need the OCs, or at least some of them. They're not wrong to believe that, even if I don't agree. So your point here is moot.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Alexmender said:

I kinda like the timer changes they made for the VG, this way I can safely play once before going to sleep, once before going out and not lose any points (outside of multiplier hours, but that varies by team anyways) until I go back home. I also like how I can tackle the 5 fights quests in one go instead of having to wait half an hour per battle. 

I don't know about the half multiplier for the winning army but judgement on that will wait until this VG is over.

The only thing I know is that Idunn is absolutely destroying Duma, and that makes me happy.

it makes me happy too
#teamfeathers. 

11 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, and I'm not saying you and omega can't have your opinions, I just have an issue if you tell me mine is wrong just because you disagree.

Also, some people in that contest thought I didn't need the OCs, or at least some of them. They're not wrong to believe that, even if I don't agree. So your point here is moot.

Personally their critiques weren’t “wrong” per se just misplaced if you ask me. Again I feel you shouldn’t criticize something for what you want it to be but rather what it’s trying to be. Like what if I said Severa would be a better character is she was Olivia’s daughter rather than Cordelia’s(I know this example is a bit weird and extreme but bear with me here), that would be kinda stupid because that would miss the entire point of her character in the first place. It would be removing a core part of what makes Severa’s character what it is and that’s what I’m getting at here. If any of that made sense. Really my point in all of this is that critique should be devoid of as much bias as possible(obviously it’s impossible to be 100% objective) and should try and truly understand what the point of the story is and how well it chooses to convey that point 

Edited by Ottservia

5 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Personally their critiques weren’t “wrong” per se just misplaced if you ask me. Again I feel you shouldn’t criticize something for what you want it to be but rather what it’s trying to be. Like what if I said Severa would be a better character is she was Olivia’s daughter rather than Cordelia’s(I know this example is a bit weird and extreme but bear with me here), that would be kinda stupid because that would miss the entire point of her character in the first place. It would be removing a core part of what makes Severa’s character what it is and that’s what I’m getting at here. If any of that made sense

Or say if Ike had no relation to Greil.

Grima, taking Awakening in a vacuum, isn't a bad villain because he's not a villain at all. He's a plot device.

12 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

it makes me happy too
#teamfeathers. 

If you don't switch to a non-colourless lead, I'll be forced to kick you off the team.

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

Or say if Ike had no relation to Greil.

Or a better point. It’s like saying mario games are bad because they have nonexistent stories. I mean you’re not wrong on that front but that’s kind of missing the point of why people play mario so that complaint is kind of moot. Like mario stories aren’t supposed deep or thought provoking so to criticize it for not doing that would be completely off base. I would’ve used the ike example but I have yet to complete the tellius games

23 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Actually, I have a better question in this case.

Tell me. Strictly sticking to Path of Radiance, not including Radiant Dawn at all. Pretend that Radiant Dawn does not exist. 

What do you know about the Black Knight? 

What purpose did he serve? What backstory did the Black Knight give in Path of Radiance? How much depth does the Black Knight have? 

8 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Grima, taking Awakening in a vacuum, isn't a bad villain because he's not a villain at all. He's a plot device.

If you don't switch to a non-colourless lead, I'll be forced to kick you off the team.

sorry i needed to do my challenge, to get the flags, i'll go back to Hinoka. 

Has anybody on Team Garon been getting my Titania?  I've been getting plenty of Green and Colorless partners and thankfully avoiding the triple red that usually plagues me when I'm on a red team.  Strangely, I've gotten no blue allies and have had to field my own, but it's still an improvement.

So, it looks like we get more flags per round now, if I'm not mistaken.  It looks like it's 2000 compared to 1500 before, if my math is right.  I'll need to figure out the best way to maximize my flag usage.  I'll have to see the max with 8 hours of charge you can use.

8 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

sorry i needed to do my challenge, to get the flags, i'll go back to Hinoka. 

No worries, I forgot that Ethlin was colourless and left her out for several hours so I thought I'd remind you.

6 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

So, it looks like we get more flags per round now, if I'm not mistaken.  It looks like it's 2000 compared to 1500 before, if my math is right.  I'll need to figure out the best way to maximize my flag usage.  I'll have to see the max with 8 hours of charge you can use.

If you use 8 ballots, you can use 800 flags. So you should start using them when you have 100 flags for every hour left.

2 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

No worries, I forgot that Ethlin was colourless and left her out for several hours so I thought I'd remind you.

If you use 8 ballots, you can use 800 flags. So you should start using them when you have 100 flags for every hour left.

I'll have to start unloading them tomorrow, though if I have some leftover for later rounds, it won't be the end of the world.  Although if I'm still awake when I get another ballot, I might use some.

4 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

LOL that's what happened with leanne. i was like yah, people can benefit.
wait aminute. I'm using her for the colourless challenge, Duma is colourless... wuhoohh.. 
hopefully Hinoka is doing damage for you.

7 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

LOL that's what happened with leanne. i was like yah, people can benefit.
wait aminute. I'm using her for the colourless challenge, Duma is colourless... wuhoohh.. 
hopefully Hinoka is doing damage for you.

I'll look forward to getting her, Atk/Spd Link is a good skill, and I'm still 0/3 on greens.

20 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Actually, I have a better question in this case.

Tell me. Strictly sticking to Path of Radiance, not including Radiant Dawn at all. Pretend that Radiant Dawn does not exist. 

What do you know about the Black Knight? 

What purpose did he serve? What backstory did the Black Knight give in Path of Radiance? How much depth does the Black Knight have? 

Overall, despite a number of sequel-bait instances (Sothe's unseen somebody he is searching for, Sephiran's final words), PoR was generally self-contained and would have been workable without a sequel, only a few minor things would need to be pruned and changed.

The BK is one major exception, the other being a sealed dark god- video game seals are meant to be broken. The BK's end is unsatisfying with the castle collapse to continue the mystery. One would really have to change things here (more so than Lehran's Medallion) to make it satisfying, since one would have to undo the BK's mystery in one game, and the BK as Zelgius just wouldn't work here.

The radical change of turning the BK into a bunshin (split-soul, see Zelda's Agahnim) of Ashnard could have a been a method of fixing this. As a bunshin, the BK would be Ashnard free of the obligations of being king and staying in the capital, whilst hiding his identity to all. On top of this one would make Ashnard be Greil's former student as I've heard some suggest before, and it is not wholly unreasonable being Greil was a Daein Four Rider- a prince would be more than suited for his mentorship. But of course, this is a radical change,  which you question I think does not provide for. And one would have to invent how Ashnard got those bunshin powers in the first place.

My pre-SoV guess as to what Grima was, was that the Binding Shield's seal broke on the Earth Dragons, whose degenerate sentience and power had merged into one being. To which I imagined Henry confronting Grima in the final battle and jokingly saying "All hail Loptyr- the true Fell Dragon!", with Grima responding seriously to the little bit of mockery.

SoV's choice to make them an alchemical necromancer's creation just makes me pity them- born to be unstable. Although it's sincere pity and coldness, as embodied in this quip from SD:

Gotoh:
“The weight of his father’s murder threatens to crush him…Poor boy. …Poor fool.”

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Overall, despite a number of sequel-bait instances (Sothe's unseen somebody he is searching for, Sephiran's final words), PoR was generally self-contained and would have been workable without a sequel, only a few minor things would need to be pruned and changed.

The BK is one major exception, the other being a sealed dark god- video game seals are meant to be broken. The BK's end is unsatisfying with the castle collapse to continue the mystery. One would really have to change things here (more so than Lehran's Medallion) to make it satisfying, since one would have to undo the BK's mystery in one game, and the BK as Zelgius just wouldn't work here.

The radical change of turning the BK into a bunshin (split-soul, see Zelda's Agahnim) of Ashnard could have a been a method of fixing this. As a bunshin, the BK would be Ashnard free of the obligations of being king and staying in the capital, whilst hiding his identity to all. On top of this one would make Ashnard be Greil's former student as I've heard some suggest before, and it is not wholly unreasonable being Greil was a Daein Four Rider- a prince would be more than suited for his mentorship. But of course, this is a radical change,  which you question I think does not provide for. And one would have to invent how Ashnard got those bunshin powers in the first place.

My pre-SoV guess as to what Grima was, was that the Binding Shield's seal broke on the Earth Dragons, whose degenerate sentience and power had merged into one being. To which I imagined Henry confronting Grima in the final battle and jokingly saying "All hail Loptyr- the true Fell Dragon!", with Grima responding seriously to the little bit of mockery.

SoV's choice to make them an alchemical necromancer's creation just makes me pity them- born to be unstable. Although it's sincere pity and coldness, as embodied in this quip from SD:

Gotoh:
“The weight of his father’s murder threatens to crush him…Poor boy. …Poor fool.”

My point exactly. Without Radiant Dawn, the Black Knight serves as being Ike's rival, the man that murdered Ike's father and such. Basically, the story of Ike growing was to face against the Black Knight. It's great on its own, but the Black Knight has no real depth or backstory. He's just the "big scary knight that murdered Ike's dad." That's almost no different than the many "big scary dragon that wants to kill everyone." 

Honestly, the biggest thing that surprises me about Grima is that he is not someone naturally born, or even created with magic. No, the final boss of Awakening and one of the most powerful entities in Fire Emblem ends up being a product of a human created using science/alchemy. 

36 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Honestly, the biggest thing that surprises me about Grima is that he is not someone naturally born, or even created with magic. No, the final boss of Awakening and one of the most powerful entities in Fire Emblem ends up being a product of a human created using science/alchemy. 

Although it is a human product built with the remnants of dragonkind. The world still cannot surpass those who ruled ~6609 years ago, it must still build upon them. And the solution to this creation is a ghost and their teeth from that dead age. How pitiful, is this all humankind can do?

*Hops through an Outrealm to a world where Walhart conquered everybody* Now I've a patron who will let me create true human strength, true human ingenuity. Power removed from those scaled fossils, glory beyond which they could ever have achieved! Hehahaha!

-Excuse me, my mad scientist side got in the way there.:P:

Though there was an underlying point. The only FE where I think where the ultimate tools of humanity lacks a draconic or divine (for Tellius) origin is Elibe. And maybe very underdeveloped Magvel, we don't know how the Sacred Stones and Sacred Twins were made, but the SS do contain the DK's power.

It looks like the Voting Gauntlet gods have shaken up my friend list picks for the better... for now.

I'm still getting the Zephiel from I'm not sure who it is, but now I get @LordFrigid's Tana and my coworker's Nowi. I hope it stays that way.

Now if only the rando picks would improve.

Edited by Ice Dragon

7 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Did you say this just because I really like Hrid and despise Surtr? That's kind of rude.

If I did say that just to rile you up, you fell for it. On the other hand, if I didn't say it just because of that, you just accused me of being rude.