E3 2019 - Hopes/Expectations

Anacybele

Edited my predictions so I can make room for

Absurd, dumb, yet reasonable predictions

• The Wii U port is Star Fox Zero...with Nintendo Labo VR support.
  • Animal Crossing gets delayed to 2020, but we get the news from Tom Nook back at his desk. "You know, these things happen"
  • Mega Man X9 announced. Does NOT have 16 bit graphics, nor is it handled by a third party developer.
  • Fallout 76 does not go Free to Play. When announcing new content updates, Todd Howard makes an ill conceived joke about "internet comments and metacritic scores" as if we take his side.
  • The next Xbox console is announced and is called Xbox 4K
  • Watch Dogs Legion does not have an attractive, young protagonist.
  • Ubisoft once again announces a collaboration with Nintendo. But it is only a new property that is not anything related to Mario + Rabbids or Starlink. 
  • Final Fantasy 7 remake is agreed to have shown very well DESPITE no release window for the first episode.
  • Shenmue 3 Xbox One port announced, implying Sony is no longer interested in marketing the game as part of a supposed console exclusivity deal
  • The new Battletoads game looks great, but is overshadowed by people being upset that the Banjo 3 rumors aren't real.
  • Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order's gameplay is highly reminiscent of God of War (2018), even going so far as having the same lightsaber throw to mirror Kratos' Axe throw and recall ability.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Three Houses will end up being the flagship Nintendo title for E3. (Honestly, I don't think so, but imagining the Nintendo section filled with Fire Emblem props and scenery was fun.) I just remember Splatoon 1 having its own thing when it came out, and Super Mario Odyssey was big too.

Now that we are closer to E3, here's some updated stuff from my last post...

Show Floor Decor
- Super Mario Maker 2

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- New Trailer
- Treehouse Coverage
- Hints at a darker storyline and/or "confirmations" of some Reddit Leaks?

Nintendo Direct "Bombshell"
- Smash Brothers DLC Character Reveal (Personally I want Banjo, but I think a Dragon Quest rep is more likely due to previous info. Maybe it'll be both, who knows.)
-- Treehouse Coverage of DLC

The Nonsense Corner
- Smash Brothers "Subspace Emissary 2" (Not gonna happen, but I want it anyways, damnit. World of Light is more of a combination of Adventure Mode and Events.)

======================================================

Moar Stuff - Newly Added!

Just got done watching Nintendo's World Championship thingy.

1. Super Mario Maker was pretty fun to watch. A part of it is because I was rooting for Jirard the Completionist, but I was happy with how the whole thing turned out even though he lost.

2. Splatoon 2 was pretty hype. Then again, Splatoon matches have always been enjoyable to watch for me. I haven't touched the game in a while though since Switch Online became a requirement. I may have to try and get one so I can take part in the final splatfest though, since I missed the finale from the first game...

3. Super Smash Brothers was a bit meh. Then again, I just like Smash on a casual basis and am not extremely into it. From what I watched, it was a curbstomp and matches were basically one-sided. // One thing I took away is that Smash fanatics are not fun people to be around. The chat revolving around Smash was not an enjoyable experience, and they were expecting an early DLC reveal. Come on people, that would be saved for the Direct and E3 proper...

A part of me wishes I skipped the Smash Tourney, but it is what is. I look forward to Tuesday for the Nintendo Direct and more Treehouse coverage!

Edited by Sire
Added Nintendo World Championship stuff

2 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

EA's part in this year's e3 felt messy. While I did like what was shown about the next Star Wars game (please let the trailer be real) majority of it was filler that could easily be removed.

EA's part in E3 feels messy every year. I don't think I can recall an event that wasn't awkward and poorly received. 

The Star Wars showcase was very good. I loved that it was just uninterrupted gameplay with no kind of commentary over it. Very rare at E3. The game doesn't seem groundbreakingly good, but certainly a very fun action game and it's been a long time since we've had a good Star Wars game. And the lightsaber was born to be a weapon in a video game that its a shame there's so few Jedi games to play

Overall not a bad show from EA. Their conferences in previous years were often boring and when they do have a big game to show it's often scooped up by Microsoft or Sony leaving them with only driving and sports games. Another common issue with their announcements is just showing concept art with nothing tangible, so it's no surprise we don't hear about that game ever again. Last year's haphazard announcement of "a new single player Star Wars game" was also legendarily bad. But this year they've got no game concepts to awkwardly announce. And they finally have a game that's all their own and it makes a big difference in the show's quality. Could still be better. For instance the developers they brought on for Star Wars were weirdly tight lipped and reluctant to answer questions about the game. Not a must watch "conference" but you can do worse than just checking out Star Wars. The Battlefield and Apex Legends segments also seemed extremely technical in the sense of talking directly to players in a way that is very rare for big multiplayer games. I don't play either of those games but I imagine players appreciate what was shown. I rate EA Play a 6 out of 10, almost double the EA standard. Downsizing from a proper conference was the right call too.

The Super Mario Maker 2 thing was also cute. Way too many tech problems. Also weird how they only did one singles and one co-op round before knocking out two competitors. I feel like there was a third round planned but cut last minute for time constraints. Tomorrow is Microsoft followed by Bethesda and Devolver Digital's wacky show. Microsoft is the biggest variable, as they pioneer the next generation of game consoles. I mean, depending on how you count the Switch. The fate of Xbox 4K, and my bets, rests on this conference.

My biggest hope is to see warriors 2, I know that it is unlikely, but I do think it could happen.

I really want that bravely second follow up to be announced already.

and more smash bros always interests me, I just hope it is something I care about (main hope is for the dragonborn, though the idea of byleth or sothis has grown on me after thinking about it).

Is it me or is the E3 planning a bit of of wack this year? It started with EA being their own thing long before anyone else but apparently Microsoft holds their press conference is today. I could swear its usually Microsoft and Soney on Monday and Nintendo at Tuesday. 

Microsoft was very decent....but not much more. 

They had the games but for some reason they insisted on pre rendered trailers for the vast majority of those. What also isn't helping is that franchises like Halo and Gears are on their last legs. Microsoft really need some new blood. 

Microsoft was great. It'd be easier to point out the things that didn't show well. Wasteland 3 seemed a little too cheesy to me. I have not played Wasteland 2 to know if the tone is always like that, but as an outsider I wasn't impressed. The Bound By Blood teaser was very slow and gives us no information. The Gears 5 Escape mode had an...interesting soundtrack. Mashing up Lil'John and Crazy Train. And there was no gameplay which is bizarre for a game coming out in a few months. Funko Pop Gears is...probably worse than could have been expected but it had to happen. And the new Xbox was...ugh, I forgot how boring a console reveal tends to be. People talking to the camera about the thing rather than showing examples of what the thing can do. Existing trailer footage. The word "game" always replaced with "experience". Not even a name, either. Project Scarlett is the same working title. This could have been better but I guess I was holding onto hope the next Xbox wasn't a late 2020 release but rather within the next 12 months.

But yeah, great trailers all around. One after another games games games. Keanu Reeves is wonderful. This is the appropriate response to that. So many Legos which is weirdly fun? I typically hate overlong conferences. For reference I think the longest one last year was something like 97 minutes while this was over two hours. But this didn't feel long, it just felt loaded with games and few slow moments. I rate this conference a 9.1 out of 10. I would be shocked if any other conference can top this sort of quality and quantity but E3 isn't over yet.

Bethesda was pretty tiring. A very slow pace when the hosts pause every ten seconds so the crowd actors can shout woooos and yeahs. It seriously got out of hand in the first half. They also had repeated videos of bethesda employees talking about whatever video game memories they feel like mentioning. I appreciate Bethesda attempting to show us that video games are made by real people, bu this never felt like the place to do that. Doom rocks. Wolfenstein is jolly co-op. Fallout 76 will start to resemble a game some time this year. Better than last year, but I'd just give it a 6.3 out of 10

Devolver Digital gets existential. 10 out of 10 like every year. The lore has me invested. Tomorrow is PC Gaming sh-I can't even finish typing that before getting bored. Followed by Ubisoft, Square Enix, and Nintendo wishing us good night.

Edited by Glennstavos

Bethesda's press conference was quite bad. A lot of it was mobile games and I didn't quite see a big hitter aside from Wolfenstein. I think Bethesda should be rated more harshly for it due to their timeframe. If you insist on holding your press conference at 4:00 in the morning for Europe then you kinda have an obligation to do it properly for the brave souls that stay up to watch it life. 

6 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

A very slow pace when the hosts pause every ten seconds so the crowd actors can shout woooos and yeahs. It seriously got out of hand in the first half.

This one is very interesting. Even Bethesda seemed to think it was too much. There's this one guy going ''woooo'' the entire time and there's a lot of speculation Bethesda had him removed. Apparently Todd Howard could be caught saying ''If you bring him back I'll walk out, walk straight to my office. Its all fucked' when his mic was still on. 

Since I watched all 3 yesterday recorded I'm going to cover all.

Microsoft:

• Too many pre-rendered trailers for my liking. Tells me little about the games
  • Cyberpunk 2077 featuring Keanu Reeves 
  • X-box game pass
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Lego Star Wars the compete, compete saga.
  • Dragon Ball RPG
  • Little information about the next console 
  • I'll give it a B-

Bethesda 

• "Fallout 76 sure was bad hahhah"
  •  76 will attempt to be a game. Results will vary
  • A good amount of time focusing on mobile games
  • A lot shooters
  • That teaser for ES6 last year was for nothing
  • C-

Devolver Digital

• A for effort

Microsoft:

Excellent trailers for Tales of Arise (best in show for me), Cyberpunk 2077, Halo Infinite, and Elden Ring. 

Scarlett's name drop was pointless. Should have held off until next year with a console to show off.

All in all, I give them an A-. One Fable and Banjo short of being an A+.

Bethesda:

Absolutely laughable performance by gaming's most overrated company. Doom Eternal looks great. Ghostwire is intriguing. But the rest of the show was pointless, embarassing, and only really works to justify the negative attention they've been getting.

Bethesda gets a D+. The modders aren't here to patch this one to an A.

Bethesda are a better publisher than they are a developer by a long shot. If they didn't have id, tango and Arkane they would have nothing to show that's interesting.

Edited by Tryhard

1 minute ago, thecrimsonflash said:

direct is going to be around 40 minutes even after pokemon and mario maker got their own, something big must be coming, or they have a ton to reveal.

I hope it's the latter.  At any rate I hope one game won't take up over half a Direct like SSBU did.  That ticked me off greatly.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

This one is very interesting. Even Bethesda seemed to think it was too much. There's this one guy going ''woooo'' the entire time and there's a lot of speculation Bethesda had him removed. Apparently Todd Howard could be caught saying ''If you bring him back I'll walk out, walk straight to my office. Its all fucked' when his mic was still on. 

That was actually fake. The audio was taken from an HBO trailer.

I've been trying to watch all the conferences that I can just to keep up with the general conversation, but here's some of my favorite takeaways. I didn't take things terribly seriously while watching so be prepared for lots of sarcasm.

EA:

• I only came here to see Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order gameplay and that's just what I got. It doesn't look like an incredible game, but it does look fun.
  • Also I watched the showcase with Maximilian Dood and this is what I got. 10/10 would do again.

Microsoft:

• Cyberpunk 2077 featuring Keanu Reeves proves the game industry is just as big if not bigger than Hollywood right now. That along with Death Stranding starting Norman Reedus and Mads Mikkelsen I wouldn't be surprised if 10 percent of these game budgets are going towards these celebrities.
  • Lego Star Wars collection of all 9 movies might be a great game, so long as they go back pantomiming the plots.
  • After watching that Gears of War 5 cinematic with that weird Crazy Train-Lil John mash up I had to stop watching and listen to the actual Crazy Train to remind myself why I love that song.
  • New Dragon Ball game looks like the most generic Dragon Ball game they could have made.
  • All that talk about project scarlett and nothing to show for it, why bother talking about it at all?

Bethesda:

• Sure was nice seeing all those mobile games I don't want to play.
  • Watching the creators of Ghostwire: Tokyo doing their best to talk in English reminded a little too much of Iwata, and now I miss Iwata again.
  • When I think of the Nintendo Switch I think of family games like Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Wolfenstein, and Doom. Wait there's something wrong with those last 2, but I can quite put my finger on it.

I can be such a cynic sometimes.

I just really want Three Houses news and a surprise announcement that we'll actually be able to play old games on our Switches soon. Everything else that's appealing will be a bonus.

3 hours ago, Druplesnubb said:

Wow that does sound like Todd. Good meme. Yeah, I don't think any person in the audience was removed. But if you did have crowd actors, you could probably mass text them and direct them to cheer not as loudly. No need to single out who are the loudest offenders.

Edited by Glennstavos

Here's what I'm hoping for:

• More info on Fire Emblem: Three Houses.
  • More info on The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remake (they should've called it Link's Reawakening). 
  • More info on Pokémon: Sword and Shield. One thing in particular I want to know is if we can make the protagonist a redhead. Please; Nintendo? A region based on Britain would be the perfect time for it.
  • More info on Final Fantasy 7r. I've never actually played a Final Fantasy game before, but this game looks very interesting. 
  • Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC. 

Honestly PC Gaming Show was surprisingly okay? I purposefully missed it last year but apparently it was nothing like 2017 which is what I remember. Hours of Constant peddling of computer parts and other sponsored products with few games to speak of that year, but now it's a proper showcase of cool games. Nothing groundbreaking at the event, but the pacing was good and the skits were not terrible. Saving Baldur's Gate 3 for the end I think really backfired. I understand not having any gameplay to show, but we learned literally nothing new. If they had saved their trailer for this event that would have really justified that game as the finale. They also could not wait to get Yu Suzuki off the stage. What do I need to do in order to hear him talk about Shenmue 3? But the indie games were cool. I rate PC Gaming show a 7.2 out of 10 and I shouldn't have been so mean to it this year and last year. It's a watchable show for sure.