80 Hours in one path - 200 across the three

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Kiran_ said:

It is fluff. The reviewer might have rushed battles, but clearly took time to read the story and pay attention to the cutscenes as they go into details bout both. They also mention exploring versus fast travel. So yes 45 hours on normal while going through everything and maybe not focusing on ALL of it seems reasonable. But he said 60+ not rushing, but I doubt not rushing will really add more than 15 hours. And realistically it would get easier with further playthroughs and you'd be smarter about your time and what you do.

So 60, 60, and probably like 50 when you get it down is not 200 hours. So yes. Fluff.  

It isn't fluff since they skip through everything that would take time to get a preview out also. Again it was on EASY and every individual player is different and won't rush through it like this person or play on the easiest difficulty the rough estimate is an average player complete time with no shortcuts.

It's also easy to catch details while skimming through dialogue so not fluff.

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

1 hour ago, Flere210 said:

I hope it's not true. Games with choices and routes imo should not go past 20or 30 hours. Otherwise, it wi be like Arcanum were i have like 12 characters goofing around in Tarant but only defeated the final boss once.

Witcher 3 takes over 100 hours just to clear one of the endings, most people consider it the best RPG in the generations.

1 hour ago, Timlugia said:

Witcher 3 takes over 100 hours just to clear one of the endings, most people consider it the best RPG in the generations.

And Arcanum is in my personal top 10 of favourite game. Still i have finished it only once despite starting it 30 times. My point was never about the game being bad, is that most probably i am going to burnout before finishing the second route. This is also what happened with birthright(but maybe that route was just boring lol.)

4 hours ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

It isn't fluff since they skip through everything that would take time to get a preview out also. Again it was on EASY and every individual player is different and won't rush through it like this person or play on the easiest difficulty the rough estimate is an average player complete time with no shortcuts.

It's also easy to catch details while skimming through dialogue so not fluff.

Where did you get the idea they skimmed through dialogue? And where did it state they skipped through stuff? Also it was on normal mode. Not easy/casual. And they stated that normal mode just felt easier than they were expecting it to be.

60 hours seems a very reasonable estimate if 45 is doing it quickly. 80 hours seems extraneous and like they added 10-20 hours of needless fluff to the number. And as stated it's not uncommon for game developers to say that. The average player will probably do it on Normal/Classic mode, and the average player will not take the time to do every single little thing.

50 minutes ago, Kiran_ said:

Where did you get the idea they skimmed through dialogue? And where did it state they skipped through stuff? Also it was on normal mode. Not easy/casual. And they stated that normal mode just felt easier than they were expecting it to be.

60 hours seems a very reasonable estimate if 45 is doing it quickly. 80 hours seems extraneous and like they added 10-20 hours of needless fluff to the number. And as stated it's not uncommon for game developers to say that. The average player will probably do it on Normal/Classic mode, and the average player will not take the time to do every single little thing.

You still don't get it at all....you skim to get through it fast than listen to it which is longer plus ignore the optional stuff to make the deadline of a preview they obviously won't get everything done the first time this isn't hard to understand. Also you really underestimate how long JRPGs can be especially planning with trial and error for tactical ones so still stands nothing is really overestimated again people go at different paces and do certain activities longer than others.

5 hours ago, Flere210 said:

I hope it's not true. Games with choices and routes imo should not go past 20or 30 hours. Otherwise, it wi be like Arcanum were i have like 12 characters goofing around in Tarant but only defeated the final boss once.

*Laughs in Planescape:Torment and Growlanser IV*

Surely the very first question to be asked regarding the claim is whether combat animations are on? I typically turn them off after 1-2 chapters and never see them again in any game.

P.S. Big thumbs up for Arcanum, can't wait to see how Troika successor projects in The Outer Worlds and Bloodlines 2 turn out.

4 hours ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

You still don't get it at all....you skim to get through it fast than listen to it which is longer plus ignore the optional stuff to make the deadline of a preview they obviously won't get everything done the first time this isn't hard to understand. Also you really underestimate how long JRPGs can be especially planning with trial and error for tactical ones so still stands nothing is really overestimated again people go at different paces and do certain activities longer than others.

You should probably take a moment to actually read what I wrote. I understand all of that. But even when I rush through things I can read everything without skimming. And yes you can skip a few side quests, but I don't think ALL of that can really cut down a playthrough by (as what you're suggesting) 35 hours. 

I've done plenty of JRPGs. Very long ones, with lots of side quests, etc. Like try playing a Tales of game. There's a lot of content. I just don't think 80 hours is going to be accurate for the average player. I'd be more than happy if it is accurate (I love me a long game), but based on someone going through it in 4-ish days and it only taking 45 hours, and them admitting that NOT rushing it would still only be a little over 60, makes the 80 hours seem like they fluffed the numbers just a bit. I don't understand why that's so complicated. I'm sure for SOME players it will take 80 hours, no doubt about it. I just don't think that's going to hold true for the average player.

Edited by Kiran_

Sorry to wake up that thread, but you might want to check this out: (WARNING: there's some footage from cut scenes you might not want to see - I know I looked up from my screen a couple times in order to avoid spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnoEhT60Xis

Nintendo Enthusiast is 40 hours into the game in this video, and it doesn't appear he's even reached the time skip yet. There are a few interesting tidbits as well (like Geralt fighting - looks like he's gonna make it, at least to the time skip is my guess), making him more of a Jagen type (as other people on this forum, as well as Lucky crit, have guessed already). What's most important is that he's loving the game (despite its weaker technical aspects) and apaprently, the story, character depth and plot twists really took him unawares, which is great news.

If the game is evenly split, then the 80 hour mark may be quite accurate.

13 minutes ago, Taho said:

Sorry to wake up that thread, but you might want to check this out: (WARNING: there's some footage from cut scenes you might not want to see - I know I looked up from my screen a couple times in order to avoid spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnoEhT60Xis

Nintendo Enthusiast is 40 hours into the game in this video, and it doesn't appear he's even reached the time skip yet. There are a few interesting tidbits as well (like Geralt fighting - looks like he's gonna make it, at least to the time skip is my guess), making him more of a Jagen type (as other people on this forum, as well as Lucky crit, have guessed already). What's most important is that he's loving the game (despite its weaker technical aspects) and apaprently, the story, character depth and plot twists really took him unawares, which is great news.

If the game is evenly split, then the 80 hour mark may be quite accurate.

Its still possible for Jeralt to be off before the timeskip.

Spoiler

Opening shows Byleth crying and mourning someone with no light green hair yet and I doubt it's a random character.

Going through the comments, and found some very interesting stuff!

Nintendo enthusiast says that at 50 hours into it, he feels he's reached 3/4 of his playthrough (Black Eagles). He's past the time skip, but Nintendo has forbidden reviewers from showing gameplay from part II. So that's not quite 80 hours, more like 60-65. Which is fine. Leaves you enough energy to launch into a second playthrough straight away.

image.thumb.png.ad85e20c6f0e2546710352015833210a.png

On 7/11/2019 at 3:13 PM, Timlugia said:

lol most people do not consider Witcher 3 the best RPG ever.