The Fire Emblem 3 Houses General Questions Thread

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

That turtle attacks resistance iirc. Therefore, a mage that chugs Pure Water should shrug off his attacks. Also, his own resistance is garbage compared to his defense.

If this is true, then I can't stress enough how invaluable this info is. Thank you very much.

On 4/13/2024 at 1:49 AM, SnowFire said:

Turtle is one of the hardest & most stressful maps in the game, especially the first time.  No shame in having trouble there.

Thank you for taking the time to type up this advice. I'll look it over and give it serious consideration when I try the map again.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, so I beat the turtle and chapter 18. Now I'm on 19 (the big Embarr fight). I can tell right off the bat this one's going to be ridiculously hard, from just 2 or 3 attempts that all went horrible. Death Knight himself is surprisingly easy to kill, but then Hubert looks impossible to get to. And presumably there's a constant stream of reinforcements should I try to take this slow.

So then, same question. Any pointers? I described my party before and not much has changed.

Edited by Hrothgar777

10 hours ago, Hrothgar777 said:

Alright, so I beat the turtle and chapter 18. Now I'm on 19 (the big Embarr fight). I can tell right off the bat this one's going to be ridiculously hard, from just 2 or 3 attempts that all went horrible. Death Knight himself is surprisingly easy to kill, but then Hubert looks impossible to get to. And presumably there's a constant stream of reinforcements should I try to take this slow.

So then, same question. Any pointers? I described my party before and not much has changed.

This map starts you split up, but if you want maximum safety you can very easily regroup your units in that corner with the chest and take it as slow as you need. The Reinforcements are not infinite and come at specific turns. There are no enemy thieves, so you can collect the Chests whenever is convenient. The most dangerous reinforcements are the ones near the top left starting position (assuming you haven't swiveled your camera around at all). These reinforcements are all fliers, so place your archers so that they can get first dibs on the action.

What the game expects you to do is head down in the Death Knight's direction so those Turn 3 reinforcements gank you from behind, don't fall for it. You'll have a smoother ride if you get all your units in the north over the river to the other squad, and then enter the city from across the bridge on the middle right (near your other units' starting position). This other squad near the bridge should definitely secure that ballistae, since you can have fun with that in the meantime. The next set of flier reinforcements on Turn 6 (or immediately upon Death Knights death) come from the very south along the river, but you'll have time to respond to them since nothing is pushing you to move so far south. Finally there's a last set of mage reinforcements that show up alongside hubert as you get close to him. Your fliers can mob him with Stride, and your non fliers can be warped in to get him as well. He's not as big a threat as the Death Knight and surrounding enemies. Just highlight his meteor range so you don't get blasted early.

Finally there's some hidden goodies if you can find room in your roster for certain characters. There is an Opera House and Church sort of near the end of the map. You just have to move Flayn or Seteth and have them end their turn in the blue square. And Manuela or Dorothea in the orange square. You'll have some dialogue from that character confirming you got it. Both cases award you a batallion and stat booster after you complete the map. The Manuela/Dorothea is especially interesting because it's the only source of the Dancer Battalion in Golden Deer. It's not the end of the world if you can't get it. I find it more useful in Blue Lions' and Silver Snow finale, since its best use is whenever you get the full armor break on a monster boss. Golden Deer's final Boss is not a monster like the other routes. 

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/22/2024 at 11:13 AM, Zapp Branniglenn said:

This map starts you split up, but if you want maximum safety you can very easily regroup your units in that corner with the chest and take it as slow as you need. The Reinforcements are not infinite and come at specific turns.

Thanks, this turned out to be the way to do it. For the middle, where you can approach Death Knight from the side, I realized the trick is to sacrifice one unit to bait him out, then do the anti-horse magic thing with Lysithea. And get everyone else south ASAP.

On 4/22/2024 at 11:13 AM, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Your fliers can mob him with Stride, and your non fliers can be warped in to get him as well.

Unfortunately Claude is my only flier, since I don't use Flayn or Seteth. This was a problem when I approached Hubert, because that stupid canal funneled everyone else into a highway of death to the north. But I was able to squeak out a W with Claude because RNG favored me that time.

Alright, so. Today I also beat Edelgard. Of course I lost the first 10 times but overall it was one of the easier late game maps (also, Claude's "I'll dodge 100% of everything during the next enemy phase" combat art saved the day; I don't know how I didn't discover that sooner). I haven't reached cyber city yet, because I have one more usable in-game day before that. I'm considering a go at Claude's paralogue, AKA the last one I haven't done.

Do you have any tips for this map? It's a suck-y desert one and the boss has three revival stones, because of course he does.

Edited by Hrothgar777

There are two main issues with Claude's paralogue. One of the boss, who is a lot like the turtle. He has a bit of a different stat build (much faster, but lower defence) but past that is quite similar, and also attacks magically. He doesn't have Quick Riposte, but Miracle does return. Chances are whatever tactics you found effective for the turtle will probably work here too, but be warned that slower, lower-res units will be in extreme danger from counters should they attack. If you have a particularly gifted offensive physical unit with 31 speed or less, consider giving them a guard adjutant which will allow them to survive the second hit of a double. The strategy of first lowering his HP some, then breaking him with gambits to make the later lifebars easier is still the way to go; Ashes and Dust is great in particular.

The other issue is that on the first enemy phase after you engage the boss, four wyvern lords will appear from the north and west sides of the map. If you're going in blind chances are very good you will have someone in their range they can kill, since on Maddening they have stupid offence and mobility. The trick is that they don't move if nobody is in their range. Learn where they appear (either by watching them once and using divine pulse, or looking up a video), count 9 squares from those tiles (8 move + 1 attack range), and make sure nobody is in those squares when you engage Macuil. One of the safest (if slow) ways to do this is to take the long way around and gather all your forces on the south and/or east side (assuming starting map rotation) to attack him, but there are some squares to attack safely from the west/north if you really want.

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 8:58 PM, Hrothgar777 said:

For the middle, where you can approach Death Knight from the side, I realized the trick is to sacrifice one unit to bait him out

Impregnable Wall is a thing. And it's extremely good.

On 4/30/2024 at 8:58 PM, Hrothgar777 said:

Do you have any tips for this map? It's a suck-y desert one and the boss has three revival stones, because of course he does.

Like the turtle, Wind Caller attacks resistance. Also, get well away from the north and west sides of the map, as once he is attacked, be it by your units or the yellow team, extremely dangerous Wyvern Lords spawn there (however, they won't do anything if they cannot reach anyone). Miracle is a pain in the arse here, because of course it is. He has Giant Wings as a barrier ability iirc, so sword, lance and axe users are more likely to whiff. Saving Ashes and Dust for him is an excellent idea as it will break all his barriers in 2 uses (he's 3x3, so aim for the center). However, I would agree with saving it for his later lifebars. Also of note, he gets Darting Blow (+6 AS on initiative iirc), so be careful of that.

Edited by Shadow Mir