Story tropes that you never get tired of

Ottservia

What are some tropes in stories that no matter how many times you see them, you will never get tired of them? To name a few of mine.

The good old fashioned tsundere blush: Tsunderes are adorable and part of the reason why is that they're awful at hiding their feelings so it's really cute whenever they become a flustered mess when you catch them doing so. Like this moment from Severa and Robin's hot spring scramble convo it's just so sweet.

Severa: W-well, flattery will get you nowhere! Anyway, here's your cloth back. No more time for chatter. I want as much time in those springs as possible!

Robin: Well, all right. Just be safe.

Severa: ...... But um...thank you...

Robin: Huh? For what...?

Severa: F-for the stupid towel, of course! Don't think for a minute it's because you called me radiant or let me cry at you. This and that are completely separate!

It's adorable because you can tell that she's grateful but doesn't want to fully admit to it. I love it. It's just really adorable.

Shounen power up: You know those moments in an anime where the main character is beaten back by the villain and they're about to give up only to have flashback about all the things they need to protect. which causes them to find their resolve and unlock a new hidden power as the hypest music just blares in the background. Shit just gets me every time. Like Rock lee vs Gaara in Naruto. 

Other smaller ones include when a character who's normally pretty abrasive realizes they've gone too far and their whole demeanor changes or when a character says "I don't want to be alone anymore!". Oh and when a character is drops their weapon against an enemy who beats them back only for the hero to end it in a hug. I just love moments like that

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was this thread created so you can talk about tsuderes?

I like it when characters turn from evil to guide the world into a new era of prosperity. I'm a sucker for a happy, perfect ending, even if it comes from nowhere. I always feel sad when bad guys die, since they don't get happy endings.

Edited by Benice

37 minutes ago, Benice said:

Every thread he creates is secretly about tsunderes.

I'm gonna be honest, somehow I find myself liking the characters who are hard on themselves, another excuse to talk about Fuuko Amicus. Literally calls herself a bad girl because she misses curfew. ONCE. It's adorable how that's what she thinks being a bad person means.

The good ol' "ragtag bunch of misfits that are supposed to save the world but they keep arguing and they only share one braincell that they pass around to eachother" trope.

Bonus points if a few of them are incredibly refined.

I don't think there are very many tropes I get tired of seeing; I usually have more of a problem with a trope done badly than a trope being overused. So, this is tricky...

I do love a good redemption arc where the bad guy lives on as a good guy. Zuko from Avatar: the Last Airbender, Scar from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, etc. I don't know if it's because I'm a Christian and we're supposed to be all about forgiveness and redemption, or if it just resonates with me personally, but I just love seeing redemption live. 

It's not much of a "trope", but I also enjoy seeing a happily-married couple in popular media. So many stories these days involve dysfunctional clichés like love triangles and on-again-off-again and all that stuff. That, or the writers put two characters together and then don't know what to do with them now they are together; leading to off-screen breakups and stuff like that. So, I really enjoy seeing a story where two people are together and stay together. 

I agree with Vanguard on all counts, (except I haven't watched the shows he referenced, but that's beside the point.)

I also enjoy multiple parties engaged in combat; one of my favourite book series of all time, How to Train Your Dragon, (which has literally nothing in common with the movies AT ALL) has a conflict like that, where there is the Dragon Rebellion, who is trying to kill all the humans and the Dragonmark, (The dragonmark are the protagonists,) The humans, who are lead by a really evil person and are trying to kill all the dragons and the Dragonmark. The dragonmark is trying to end the conflict peacefully so humans and dragons can live in harmony.

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

one of my favourite book series of all time, How to Train Your Dragon, (which has literally nothing in common with the movies AT ALL)

I read the first book, it was okay. I actually liked the movies better.

33 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

It's not much of a "trope", but I also enjoy seeing a happily-married couple in popular media. So many stories these days involve dysfunctional clichés like love triangles and on-again-off-again and all that stuff. That, or the writers put two characters together and then don't know what to do with them now they are together; leading to off-screen breakups and stuff like that. So, I really enjoy seeing a story where two people are together and stay together. 

Which I can connect to How to Train Your Dragon! Those Hiccup x Astrid kids at the end of the third movie made me dawww so much. I love seeing a couple get together and have kids. It's why the majority of my fanfic stuff is shipping and breeding the characters lol.

18 minutes ago, Benice said:

I agree with Vanguard on all counts, (except I haven't watched the shows he referenced, but that's beside the point.)

I would recommend that you watch them; they're very good.

Note: For Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, if you do decide to watch it, make sure you're watching the one with the Brotherhood subtitle. If the show you're watching is just titled Fullmetal Alchemist, it's not the show I'm recommending. 

15 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Which I can connect to How to Train Your Dragon! Those Hiccup x Astrid kids at the end of the third movie made me dawww so much. I love seeing a couple get together and have kids. It's why the majority of my fanfic stuff is shipping and breeding the characters lol.

I haven't seen the third film, but I have seen the first two, and I'll admit, their dynamic is pretty good, especially in the second film (one of the few reasons I was able to keep watching it all the way to the end. The second film's not bad, but it does have some issues). 

Another trope that I do enjoy seeing is the World of Cardboard Speech: the hero, usually in a desperate fight, makes a speech that starts off usually with them lamenting their personal emotional struggle that forms a mental block for them. They recognize this mental block, and, thanks to a revelation, they're able to overcome it and find heroic resolve.

My favourite example of this is from the show One-Punch Man: a Shonen-Anime parody about a hero named Saitama who is so powerful, he can end every fight in a single punch. In one story arc, a monster has been rampaging through a city very far away from Saitama. As he tries to get there as soon as he can, other powerful heroes try and fail to stop the monster. Ultimately, it comes down to Mumen Rider: a C-Class Hero with no real superpowers and who regularly gets beaten up by the main bad guys. The monster beats him to a pulp without any fuss, and Mumen Rider, bleeding and struggling to stand, has this to say (minor spoilers): 

Spoiler

No one expects much from me... They think a C-Class hero won't be much help. I know that better than anyone. I'm not good enough for Class B. I'm weak. I know that much. No one has to tell me I have no chance of beating you. I already... know that! And yet, I must try. It's not about winning or losing! It's about me taking you on right here, right now!

It's one of the most heartfelt moments in the whole show. 

39 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I read the first book, it was okay. I actually liked the movies better.

the first book is both easily the worst book and it has nothing to do at all with the rest of the books; it's mostly there to introduce you to the world it's set in. I'd encourage you to read the second book, (How to be a pirate,) because IMO it's much better. My favourite book in the series was the seventh. Either way, suit yourself.

36 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Note: For Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, if you do decide to watch it, make sure you're watching the one with the Brotherhood subtitle. If the show you're watching is just titled Fullmetal Alchemist, it's not the show I'm recommending. 

Or y’know you could just read the manga like a true man of culture.

10 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Every thread he creates is secretly about tsunderes.

11 hours ago, Benice said:

Wha-I no!! I mean it’s not like I love the archetype or anything! I definitely don’t find them really cute and sweet especially when they deny their true feelings the way that they do! You’re an idiot if you think that!! You hear that?! Idiot!!!

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Or y’know you could just read the manga like a true man of culture.

I'm not a fan of manga, and I only started getting any interest in anime last year after watching One-Punch Man. 

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Wha-I no!! I mean it’s not like I love the archetype or anything! I definitely don’t find them really cute and sweet especially when they deny their true feelings the way that they do! You’re an idiot if you think that!! You hear that?! Idiot!!!

This isn't the thread for it, but I personally have never been a fan of Tsunderes. The only times I've ever liked them occurred when the Tsundere aspect of their personality was tied to their character development: the two examples being Midna from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Riley Miller from Valkyria Chronicles 4. 

10 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

This isn't the thread for it, but I personally have never been a fan of Tsunderes. The only times I've ever liked them occurred when the Tsundere aspect of their personality was tied to their character development: the two examples being Midna from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Riley Miller from Valkyria Chronicles 4. 

You my good sir need to watch Fate/Stay Night(actually read the visual novel it’s better) and Toradora. I’m certain your tune will change on that front if my love of Severa hasn’t already convinced you about the perfection that is this archetype when done well.

Speaking of Fate. I love it when a character who has a connection to another character uses that character’s technique in a a moment of major growth for them. Like 

Spoiler

Shirou using archer’s unlimited blade works on Gilgamesh 

or when Sarada uses the chidori in the latest chapter of the Boruto Manga

Edited by Ottservia

50 minutes ago, Benice said:

the first book is both easily the worst book and it has nothing to do at all with the rest of the books; it's mostly there to introduce you to the world it's set in. I'd encourage you to read the second book, (How to be a pirate,) because IMO it's much better. My favourite book in the series was the seventh. Either way, suit yourself.

I think I read the second book too, now that I remember. But good to know if I ever want to start again

52 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

You my good sir need to watch Fate/Stay Night(actually read the visual novel it’s better) and Toradora. I’m certain your tune will change on that front if my love of Severa hasn’t already convinced you about the perfection that is this archetype when done well.

Don’t forget about Unlimited Blade Works’s anime adaptation.

Although, I do need to know some way to get the visual novel. And how to get into each path.

Anyways, my two cents here is simply magic used alongside physical weapons. Makes for some really cool imagery, if only at the sacrifice of effectiveness sometimes.

22 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

Don’t forget about Unlimited Blade Works’s anime adaptation.

Oh that adaptation is very good though it still doesn’t really do shirou’s character justice as from what I hear it cuts out a lot of his internal thoughts and dialogue 

Shonen trash as long as it's animated whit more quality than early DBS or Seven Deadly Deen. 

In general,i have a very cynical outlook, so in fiction i prefer to see how i wish reality was rather than how reality really is, so i usually like a story where the good people can actually improve the world as long as they put enought effort into it. i also enjoy the spectacle of OP people destroying a city while punching each others.

Another trope I always like when it is done well is characters that are well-meaning but don’t really understand social norms and are socially awkward as a result. It resonates with me because my high-functioning autism makes me like that, and high-functioning autism is almost never well-portrayed in popular media. My two favourite examples of this trope would be Ike from Path of Radiance, and Violet Evergarden from the anime with the same name (Violet Evergarden).

On 2/3/2020 at 12:15 PM, Ottservia said:

I’ve heard mixed reviews of that, but I might give it a try.

Since you were kind enough to recommend a show to me, allow me to do the same. You seem to like anime; have you ever heard of Violet Evergarden? If you haven’t seen it, then I highly recommend it. Fair warning in advance: have some tissue nearby if you watch it. If the show resonates with you, odds are that you’re going to cry. 

I also like a lot is when the power of friendship is used the right way. Meaning not "i can suddenly punch 10 times harder because of Ike Smash quote", but a group of people using teamwork, combos and tactic to overcome an enemy that is way above their weight class.  Wich is most likely why i really like Black Clover fights, 90% of the times they are like that. And why the latest chapters of Kimetsu no Yaiba rubbed me the wrong way. 

Something that i like, but as to be executed well, is when everything that happen in the story, including things that seemed random, is revealed as part of a grand Keikaku and it make sense(so not Black Zetsu). It give a lot of rewatch bonus and it make clear how far the author went into constructing a sequence of event that make perfect sense. To Aru Majutsu no index(funny how i keep mentioning shows whit good tsunderes, even if Misaka take 40 volumes to get good) is awesome because on the surface it's just classic LN adventures, but actually the whole story is about an half dozen Aizens out-keikauing each other in a web of master plans. 

Speaking of Index, even if it's not a master plan, i find awesome where the combination of Red Herrings and Checkov guns payoff after 5, 10 or 20 years from the start of a serializzation. Wich has been done masterfully in Index and One Piece. 

Kaguya feel like Kishimoto not having a clue about ending the story, Imu and Choronzon feel like things that were always there, waiting to unleash lore on us.

The one and only story trope I don´t get tired of is a good person turning evil, especially when it´s coupled with dishing out the pain to the good guys.

Hmmm, thinking of examples perhaps Sarah Kerrigan from Starcraft? That cutscene from WoL showing her last stand as a human and staring into the sky has given and will continue to give me Goosebumps. Then again we get a “redemption” of sorts.

Other than that, methinks Saber Alter is another impressive example on how to turn evil and kick ass.

Edited by Imuabicus

The sweet old lady sitting on the porch?  She'll dish out an ass-whoopin' if the bad guys bother her town, then she'll go back to the porch and watch the world go by.

(moms count, too)

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Another trope I always like when it is done well is characters that are well-meaning but don’t really understand social norms and are socially awkward as a result. It resonates with me because my high-functioning autism makes me like that, and high-functioning autism is almost never well-portrayed in popular media. My two favourite examples of this trope would be Ike from Path of Radiance,

This is a great one and I also have high functioning autism! So does @Anacybele. Ike is a good example, as is Frederick, although Frederick probably has high functioning autism and Ike probably doesn't but that's just me.

Similar is the introverted and/or nerdy heroes. The only example I can think of this is Shulk but there are probably others. I swear he's my spirit animal and seeing him succeed at romance gives me hope for myself. Him and his canon love interest are so stinkin adorable together. Nerdy introverted male + spunky sassy female = opposites attract, yes please! 

Two stand out for me. I love last stands moment, heroes going out in a final blaze of glory. Perhaps that's why Red Dead Redemption speaks so much to me. For a goal greater than them selves; against overwhelming forces I love. Also masked/ helmet people getting the head gear half destroyed. It gets more serious when I can see the face of the person fighting, no more hiding behind makes. Gives them the appearance that they are not some unstoppable force but human. Happens to Spiderman quite a bit.

4 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Kaguya feel like Kishimoto not having a clue about ending the story, Imu and Choronzon feel like things that were always there, waiting to unleash lore on us.

I thought that Kaguya appearance at the end of Naruto was for setting up the Otsutsuki clan as the major villains in Boruto. Sort of a sneak peek of how powerful will the future threats be. Done in a clunky matter.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

This is a great one and I also have high functioning autism! So does @Anacybele. Ike is a good example, as is Frederick, although Frederick probably has high functioning autism and Ike probably doesn't but that's just me.

Yeah, that's a reason I love those two so much! Though agreed, Frederick shows several more characteristics of Asperger's than Ike does.

The one trope I seem to like most often is skirt chasing/flirtatious dudes. They're just so funny and often have hidden depth and interesting reasons for looking for women as often as they do. They also seem to often be real sweeties deep down despite their antics. Bonus points if they also make puns and jokes. XD

For this reason, Cat Noir from Miraculous easily became one of my favorite characters ever. 😛

And also why Sylvain is the best FE: TH character and one of the best FE characters ever imo.

Edited by Anacybele

4 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, that's a reason I love those two so much! Though agreed, Frederick shows several more characteristics of Asperger's than Ike does.

Cool. I knew that @Anacybele has autism, but I didn't know that @Dragoncat also has it. Cool. Nice to meet some fellow autistic people online and see the term "autism" be used correctly online. 

I agree that Ike probably isn't autistic. To be fair, I didn't say that he is autistic; I said that he's socially awkward and that resonates with me because of my autism, and that high-functioning autism is rarely portrayed well in popular media. 

By the way, have either of you seen the show Violet Evergarden? The titular character is also a great example, and the show itself is a great show.

4 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Similar is the introverted and/or nerdy heroes. The only example I can think of this is Shulk but there are probably others. I swear he's my spirit animal and seeing him succeed at romance gives me hope for myself. Him and his canon love interest are so stinkin adorable together. Nerdy introverted male + spunky sassy female = opposites attract, yes please! 

Oh; that's also a great trope when done well. Introverts unite! …And stand several meters apart. 

However, ugh, when it comes to Shulk... I'm really torn. I do love that he's an introverted and nerdy hero (yep; that resonates with me as well), and I do think Shulk and Fiora are adorable together. But, on the other hand, he has a lot of RPG-Hero tropes that I can't stand; one of the biggest ones being the fact that, in a game with 3 female main characters, two of them are fawning over him, with the third instead being interested in his friend Reyn. He's a Clueless Chick Magnet; a trope I can't stand, and the fact that it causes a love triangle, something I also can't stand, really hurts. Did the game really need to have it that Melia was also interested in Shulk?

Edited by vanguard333

43 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

But, on the other hand, he has a lot of RPG-Hero tropes that I can't stand

Yeah, this is a thing. I don't mind those tropes as much because him and Fiora are just the sweetest thing I've ever seen and they get the best kiss scene omg. I also haven't played many RPGs besides Pokemon and FE.

As for Violet Evergarden, I'm not big on animes so I probably won't watch it, but I have never heard of it before now.

Edited by Dragoncat