• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

So the maps IGN and GameSpot were allowed to play (the early castle one) was Ch.5. Following this, Sominel unlocks (we know that thanks to JP info).

Everything else is pretty much what we already know. Here's the chapter clear screen

Fj3VIz-XwAAnYx6?format=jpg&name=4096x409

3 minutes ago, Imperator Squilla said:

RD's desert map is one of the worst ever maps in existence

Desert+they don't stop coming. Also combination, thank you IntSys.

1 minute ago, Imperator Squilla said:

RD's desert map is one of the worst ever maps in existence

I hate that it's 3 mov for most units to move 1 tile. That map took 3 hours for me, which while bad, is just in character for me when I took 60 to clear RD.

The reinforcements also slow this map down, such a slog.

Almost all part 4 maps are super bad

Super? I dunno.

Most of them are meat grinders and with a lot of reinforcements, but some appeal can be had in figuring out how to quickly deal with rout maps. And kill certain enemies.

3 hours ago, Imperator Squilla said:

turnwheel

Echoing Dayni's thoughts here: I am happy about this, so long as they don't take the Houses Maddening route. Let it be utilized to fix misclicks or truly unfortunate RNG mishaps, not as an excuse for bullshit.

Still, this will ensure the game does not go the Conquest route of getting me burned out, so that's great.

3 hours ago, Imperator Squilla said:

Also walking around after battle?

Huh. Interesting.

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Victory condition: defeat all 6 commanders.

Oho! That's pretty crazy. I love it. Warpskip this, Celica.

15 minutes ago, Imperator Squilla said:

Previews already huh

I'll have to look through them later, when I'm not feeling like shit.

...Well, I did watch the short IGN one. Can I recruit Nelucce?

9 minutes ago, Imperator Squilla said:

Almost all part 4 maps are super bad

Not as bad as part 3, but yeah. Had to physically force myself through the Lekain one, Jesus Christ an hour and a half of watching the very easy game play itself... I didn't even have too many top tier losers either, I only had one royal (the worst one, for the music) and just about everyone else was memes and scrub squad members.

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I guess you all just don't know fun...

Me when I see someone with Path of Radiance listed as their favorite FE

Barely any gameplay footage for a game that releases in February 🤨, but SRPG maybe worth putting on the edge of one's radar? Much too soon to tell, nice production values mean nothing. Ender Lillies was a well-reviewed Metroidvania though, so the studio might do okay? Has someone who worked on FE is on the team, hopefully that bodes well.

9 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Oh man I forgot how clearly European inspired Elibe's map was.

Actually I kinda see the opposite. The way it tapers off to the east as Eurasia does for Europe to the west and the India-esque shape of Bern do that. 

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Plague Knight best knight.

He did seem kinda dorky, I'd get how you could like him, and Kings Knight too.

I never finished any of the DLC campaigns, though I came close with each.😅

I have also referred to 3H's infamous Knight on several occasions as "Donovan".

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Wait....Cavalry moving normally on a desert map? Instead of whole map, it's just specific patches of the desert that hinder movement?

That was also the case in 3H, and even GBA. "Dune" terrain is the problem in games that split desert into flatland sand and mountains of it. The problem in games with this split was the ratio of flat sand to dunes.

22.png

Blazing bad! Only the teeniest amount of flats adjacent to the grass.

fe8map15.png

Sacred better! Besides much more grass, you can see right in the middle the dunes narrows to just four tiles. This is better desert design.

IRL, cavalry have fought well in desert plenty of times. It's not the easiest environment to take care of a horse in, and I take it European heavy armor might a bad idea. But mid or light cavalry that mostly avoids the dunes getting into the occasional clash in the desert? Seems entirely fine -although I'm not actually versed in the realities of desert warfare. Camels are hardier creatures better off for transporting merchant goods, but for warfare horses I believe remain top tier.

48 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I want whatever patience you have lmaooooo that map was the worst.

The land of the aforementioned flatland-dune split is certainly one reason for it. Tellius stupidly ditched the divide, with bad results in Radiant Dawn (PoR... kinda but not as much I'd say because it's a boss kill and you get BEXP per enemy spared, plus PoR fliers strong).

54 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ahahahaha, yes!

Looks like old vs. new if you ask me lookin' at the artwork. Or old and new if you prefer a more peaceful interpretation on things. I'll say war and side with red, and but then ask for peace negotiations after the first skirmish.😛

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Incidentally, Emgage having a turnwheel fills me with hope(ium) for stuff like combat outfits and capture. Despite how transparent they've been with the info, they kept it so well hidden that up to now everyone was convinced it wouldn't be here. Who knows what else lurks beneath the surface of this game?

....probably not Fates capture, but eehh. A man can dream.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Barely any gameplay footage for a game that releases in February 🤨, but gridless SRPG maybe worth putting on the edge of one's radar? Much too soon to tell, nice production values mean nothing. Ender Lillies was a well-reviewed Metroidvania though, so the studio might do okay? Has someone who worked on FE is on the team, hopefully that bodes well.

Worthy of an eye, at least.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Barely any gameplay footage for a game that releases in February 🤨, but gridless SRPG maybe worth putting on the edge of one's radar? Much too soon to tell, nice production values mean nothing. Ender Lillies was a well-reviewed Metroidvania though, so the studio might do okay? Has someone who worked on FE is on the team, hopefully that bodes well.

Gridless, oh my.

Curious to see how this actually plays, we get a depressing world with an orc army in the most generic sense and not much else here.

...... Wait, it doesn't look so gridless in the later gameplay footage?

Now I'm confused. Two months out from release, it probably would benefit from jumping up a generation (Diofield has friggin music clipping in map cutscenes, so even I can see the Switch's age), but this is their second game and it turns out they're their own publisher? huh.

Be interesting to see if we get more news and gameplay.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Incidentally, Emgage having a turnwheel fills me with hope(ium) for stuff like combat outfits and capture. Despite how transparent they've been with the info, they kept it so well hidden that up to now everyone was convinced it wouldn't be here. Who knows what else lurks beneath the surface of this game?

It's surprising that we got more info this fast, almost like we'll hear everything before it comes out.

51 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Looks like old vs. new if you ask me lookin' at the artwork. Or old and new if you prefer a more peaceful interpretation on things. I'll say war and side with red, and but then ask for peace negotiations after the first skirmish.😛

Gonna be more of an And than Vs., heh.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Didn't see that, I misspoke.😅

That's the thing, I'm not certain it isn't yet, but it'd be odd of the game to be using squares to represent where they are.

In a gridless SRPG you'd have to assume a certain distance has to be maintained between units to minimise clutter that would be more suited to an RTS with massive amounts of bodies to kill and that area could represent boundaries, but it being square shaped is odd and would suggest to me it's square based gridding.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Gonna be more of an And than Vs., heh.

Tales of Eden sounds like a title fitting for this series.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Echoing Dayni's thoughts here: I am happy about this, so long as they don't take the Houses Maddening route. Let it be utilized to fix misclicks or truly unfortunate RNG mishaps, not as an excuse for bullshit.

Reinforcements at least are confirmed(?) to come from forts and any that don't is probably a scripted event. I don't think we'll see "you fool, you've activated my trap card by walking onto this tile" in this game like in Three Houses. Then again, Binding Blade Ch.21 is back.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Huh. Interesting.

Yeah but it's my turn to be cautious for once cause i feel this might wear off the novelty. Like we already have Sominel, i don't think we need to walk around every battlefield.

It brings to mind Kingdom Battle.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That was also the case in 3H, and even GBA. "Dune" terrain is the problem in games that split desert into flatland sand and mountains of it. The problem in games with this split was the ratio of flat sand to dunes

Yeah back then it was just very little of normally traversable terrain, with 90% of it being "dune".

I think they have to balance it now though because, again, the nerfed mov counts overall.

51 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Who knows what else lurks beneath the surface of this game?

S-Supports, Child Units.

An interesting thing to note is that in the footage, it seems the turnwheel has infinite uses. Why specify that it has infinite uses unless there's a condition for that? I'm thinking:

1. Upgrade system, not unlike the other games. Though if you eventually reach infinite uses, then the amount of uses before then can't be that much either
  2. It depends on difficulty. Game footage is likely on Normal, perhaps even Casual. It's possible that the number of uses depends on that. Normal = infinite, Hard = 5 uses and Lunatic = 2, 1 or maybe even no uses (but i doubt that last bit).

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Reinforcements at least are confirmed(?) to come from forts and any that don't is probably a scripted event. I don't think we'll see "you fool, you've activated my trap card by walking onto this tile" in this game like in Three Houses. Then again, Binding Blade Ch.21 is back.

That should happen more often I'd say. And have the enemy units just pop-up. Like from forest tiles. Everybody gansta until the trees start speaking Vietnamese Elusian.

Just watched the GameSpot review. The start is... bad, but I do like that he says this game caters to me as opposed to PoR and 3H fans. Beyond that, not much new, other than apparently there's a different skill tree for each unit and emblem combination? Again, as long as bonds are forged fast enough that I don't have to spend hours polishing rings to get skills...

Also I like how all these big name reviewers pretend the series's roots is FE7 lololololololololol

47 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

It's surprising that we got more info this fast, almost like we'll hear everything before it comes out.

Sure looks that way.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Fj3VIz-XwAAnYx6?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Can't wait to see Vandad there.

Also, Clanne? Thought his localized name was Cramme for the longest time. I guess they wanted to set it further apart from Framme.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I was more on ambush reinforcements. I don't mind if reinforcements come from wherever, I just want not to have to return to the past every time they do. But I mean, this game looks a hundred times better designed than Houses, gameplay-wise. Probably one of the benefits of not having to rush the game out of the gate with all the wrong priorities. So I'm hopeful.

...Sorry, I know I'm getting back on my "Three Houses bad" mindset a bit lately, but... damn I am just SO happy the new game doesn't look to be Houses 2. So fucking happy. The artstyle can be whatever it damn well pleases.

Yeah but it's my turn to be cautious for once cause i feel this might wear off the novelty. Like we already have Sominel, i don't think we need to walk around every battlefield.

It brings to mind Kingdom Battle.

If it's skippable, I'm okay with it. It did look like you could get some rewards from talking to peeps, but... well, again, if I get to make a few A presses and then I can leave if I'm not feeling like it, I'll take it.

Besides, keep in mind that Somniel is just My Castle 2, by all accounts. If you've spent some time walking around the battlefield, it'll be an option to just go to the armories, buy whatever and on to the next battle we go.

S-Supports, Child Units.

Hah!

An interesting thing to note is that in the footage, it seems the turnwheel has infinite uses. Why specify that it has infinite uses unless there's a condition for that? I'm thinking:

1. Upgrade system, not unlike the other games. Though if you eventually reach infinite uses, then the amount of uses before then can't be that much either
  2. It depends on difficulty. Game footage is likely on Normal, perhaps even Casual. It's possible that the number of uses depends on that. Normal = infinite, Hard = 5 uses and Lunatic = 2, 1 or maybe even no uses (but i doubt that last bit).

I'd say it's more likely to be the second option, I seriously doubt they would let you upgrade it to infinite uses. Either that or they just made them infinite so the reviewers don't to choke on their blood.

Just now, Imperator Squilla said:

Apparently a forged Steel GreatAxe +3 has...

30 MIGHT

Well.

Nice.

x15dMfz.png

CON

GROWTHS

ARE

BACK

Boy oh boy, can I not wait to bench this woman.

Anyway, that's pretty neat, but we'll have to see what build is used for in this game. We've not seen any rescuing, have we? You think weapon weight is back, even if durability isn't?