• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think I skipped on fielding one in the last battle of in AP. Supers are kinda bad there, if I did bring one to the final fight, it would've been Great, the Z wasn't so amazing. Though I did use both of them through the game on my first playthrough, and some of the second (which saw increased Grendizer deployment). They tended to be lighting rods attracting 70% of enemy attacks easily.😆

Haha, it's fine. I've also done the same. Though in D instead. Due to how armor gets calculated, I ran with a full team of Reals.

So that's a Mycenaean? He didn't exactly have the complexion I'd think the Mediterranean sun would provide. Maybe he drank too much olive oil.

I mean, neither did the Dark General or Hell Marshal in AP.

Well, to be fair, it might not get brought up often in SRW, or at least, I've yet to see it. The gist of it is that the Mycenae Empire was originally a human civilization, but then the Emperor of Darkness and his ilk took over. Most of the original inhabitants were turned into the Warrior Beasts (which you fought in AP) or enslaved to operate stuff like the Demonika battleships you also fought in AP.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

27 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Haha, it's fine. I've also done the same. Though in D instead. Due to how armor gets calculated, I ran with a full team of Reals.

With regards to the Real-Super balance in J, it seems fairly even-ish. Supers do have higher attack and are better at taking hits as expected, plus sub-pilots for extra spirits.  But, very consistently dodging doesn't seem impossible either, and bosses are still plenty capable of 2-shot'ing Supers without HP & armor upgrades. Plus, Reals often have combination attacks that give them more firepower than it would seem at first.

I have half a mind to dump max upgrades in all the Brains' EN and Mobility and see how that works out. But then that's a lot of unit slots and a lotta burnt cash. So I'm very indecisive.😆 I prefer "balanced" representation over being super-biased for one series too, even if this is the second of BP's only two appearances.

30 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, neither did the Dark General or Hell Marshal in AP.

It had completely slipped my mind that they were Mycenaean.😅 It no doubt came up in their Robopedia entries, which I did read.

31 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, to be fair, it might not get brought up often in SRW, or at least, I've yet to see it. The gist of it is that the Mycenae Empire was originally a human civilization, but then the Emperor of Darkness and his ilk took over. Most of the original inhabitants were turned into the Warrior Beasts (which you fought in AP) or enslaved to operate stuff like the Demonika battleships you also fought in AP.

That's one explanation for the Greek Dark Age.

And thank you for the explanation for the 10^4519th time!😀

50 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

mKjwtlM.png

dFMJQaR.png

Realllllllllly playing up the LoZ speedrunning riffing here.

I remember the glitch to bypass a certain barrier in the GameCube version of Wind Waker was discovered only in the past few years. It involves shooting like sixty arrows to overload the game's memory and cause it to either fail to load or unload the infamous barrier that had stood in the way of speedrunners for nearly two decades.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

I have half a mind to dump max upgrades in all the Brains' EN and Mobility and see how that works out. But then that's a lot of unit slots and a lotta burnt cash. So I'm very indecisive.😆 I prefer "balanced" representation over being super-biased for one series too, even if this is the second of BP's only two appearances.

One thing I've noticed is that evasion does affect somewhat enemy AI. As in, they prioritize what they can hit. So it's not had to, say, have the Brains soften up a lot of units that then suicide on your Strike-Using Super Robot.

It had completely slipped my mind that they were Mycenaean.😅 It no doubt came up in their Robopedia entries, which I did read.

Well, the demon kind of Mycenanean at least, heh.

That's one explanation for the Greek Dark Age.

And thank you for the explanation for the 10^4519th time!😀

Hahaha, it's fine. Good to explain what even SRW doesn't cover.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm not sure what you'd suggest but this could be our chance at this year's agreement.

Normal pick is Hiya Papaya but meme pick is Mage Knight Citrinne.

Idk.

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Unbenannt.PNG

This looks like the Link's Awakening chibis.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Realllllllllly playing up the LoZ speedrunning riffing here.

Not a Speedrun but I remember doing the Fourth Day glitch in OG Majora's Mask, as well as the "equip Fierce Diety's Mask in the overworld" glitch.

Also the Jabu-Jabu's Belly as Adult Link in Ocarina of Time 3D.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Not a Speedrun but I remember doing the Fourth Day glitch in OG Majora's Mask, as well as the "equip Fierce Diety's Mask in the overworld" glitch.

The one where you are riding Epona, save it, turn the game off and you can use any item, even locked ones?

And that's another two battles. They were pleasantly lighter than the overlong battles preceding them, especially the ZAFT skirmish Yazd's mugshot looks like an evil Seolla.

With Gauron dead, the Full Metal Panic looks to be concluded. I'm gonna miss the Tuatha De Danaan, can someone please put a flight module in that thing? I want to keep the range 15 cruise missiles atop Repair & Resupply! 

Now at the next route split, off to North America. I do like the large group of flexible units from a gameplay perspective. Mazinger Team, the Shuffle Alliance, the Full Metal Panic! trio, and Dancouga add up to some serious insurance.

Reading the dialogue, I can see a logic behind why the Great Zeorymer has its strange "do not deploy the Zeorymer except when forced" requirement. 

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Skyward Sword really proving to me that i like 3D Zelda better when it deviates from the "traditional Zelda formula".

How so? What aspects exactly?

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

With Gauron dead, the Full Metal Panic looks to be concluded. I'm gonna miss the Tuatha De Danaan, can someone please put a flight module in that thing? I want to keep the range 15 cruise missiles atop Repair & Resupply! 

lol This reminds me. There is a 4-Koma about this very thing:

__teletha_testarossa_and_richard_marduka

And then, come Z3 and V... she got her wish!

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Reading the dialogue, I can see a logic behind why the Great Zeorymer has its strange "do not deploy the Zeorymer except when forced" requirement. 

Oh, really?

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

lol This reminds me. There is a 4-Koma about this very thing:

__teletha_testarossa_and_richard_marduka

And then, come Z3 and V... she got her wish!

I like.😄🤣

13 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, really?

Well, I won't know the stated reason for the Great upgrade until I get it. Which won't be for... months? Probably by sometime later this year, I don't see myself stepping away for that long.😆

But then, not all of SRW secret requirements directly correlate to what they unlock. To pick on OG1 for something particularly obscure, absolutely no reason is given as to why you get a Shishioh Blade for reaching a certain kill count with the route lead by a certain point, or a Graviton Launcher later for having a certain number of kills on the opposite protagonist. Nor why leveling the battleship captains by a certain point gets you a Hero's Mark and a.Steel Soul. You're just given these rewards after a battle with not a word of dialogue.

Nonetheless, for Zeorymer, the game has made it clear that Masato's existence is endangered each time he gets in the cockpit. Natarle IIRC, back when they didn't really understand the "personality" change after the first battle where it happened, suggested to Captain Murrue that they limit use of the Zeorymer in case that would make the evil personality emerge again. And now NotMyMasaki has outright said it, each use of the Zeo rewrites Masato's personality to match his own (and brings back Dr. Kihara's memories buried within him). Therefore, if one wished to minimize the pressures of existential erasure inflicted on the innocent 15 year-old boy, the player shouldn't deploy Zeorymer. You're being rewarded for doing the moral thing.

-This doesn't explain the additional need to defeat every single Tekkoryu with the Zeorymer, But, using lead characters to kill their respective bad guys to unlock new characters is a very normal thing in SRW.

I like.😄🤣

Yeah, I remember a lot of people going wild seeing the Tuatha de Dannan in outer space for the first time. XD

Well, I won't know the stated reason for the Great upgrade until I get it. Which won't be for... months? Probably by sometime later this year, I don't see myself stepping away for that long.😆

But then, not all of SRW secret requirements directly correlate to what they unlock. To pick on OG1 for something particularly obscure, absolutely no reason is given as to why you get a Shishioh Blade for reaching a certain kill count with the route lead by a certain point, or a Graviton Launcher later for having a certain number of kills on the opposite protagonist. Nor why leveling the battleship captains by a certain point gets you a Hero's Mark and a.Steel Soul. You're just given these rewards after a battle with not a word of dialogue.

Nonetheless, for Zeorymer, the game has made it clear that Masato's existence is endangered each time he gets in the cockpit. Natarle IIRC, back when they didn't really understand the "personality" change after the first battle where it happened, suggested to Captain Murrue that they limit use of the Zeorymer in case that would make the evil personality emerge again. And now NotMyMasaki has outright said it, each use of the Zeo rewrites Masato's personality to match his own (and brings back Dr. Kihara's memories buried within him). Therefore, if one wished to minimize the pressures of existential erasure inflicted on the innocent 15 year-old boy, the player shouldn't deploy Zeorymer. You're being rewarded for doing the moral thing.

-This doesn't explain the additional need to defeat every single Tekkoryu with the Zeorymer, But, using lead characters to kill their respective bad guys to unlock new characters is a very normal thing in SRW.

Ah, right, that part.

Yeah, makes sense. Well, this is still SRW, so even deploying Zeorymer every time won't end up badly, but still, actually going out of your way would be prime material to unlock something.

Well, I can think why. But it'd require actually having Great Zeorymer to understand. So unless you want to be spoiled now since you won't be getting for a while...

Spoiler

My understanding is that Zeorymer was absorbing the other mech's powers. Since Great Zeorymer's arsenal is all of the other mech's ultimate attacks, plus its own. Do remember Great Zeorymer was a scrapped concept that didn't made it to be implemented in the OVA's, so perhaps this was what it was building up to originally.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How so? What aspects exactly?

The dungefication of the world. Splitting into zones that are much more focused on the mechanics and streamlining the actual dungeons. There's no Compass, the Map accomplishes both and the dungeon item is usually the first thing you end up getting. Also the dungeons themselves are pretty damn short because it's a lot more focused.

Hell even the combat is a lot more focused compared to any other game in the series. Lizalfos are actually a threat this time.

If we compare it to OoT, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, this game is doing it's own unique spin on the "formula" instead of adhering too closely too it. Majora's Mask and obviously Breath of the Wild are in the same boat of Skyward Sword.

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

this game is doing it's own unique spin on the "formula" instead of adhering too closely too it

Majora's Mask

This literally has the same dungeon format as OoT though.

12 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

This literally has the same dungeon format as OoT though.

Literally no other Zelda game has a three-day cycle and a very extensive collection of side quests.

No other Zelda game splits it's world into "dungeon zones" the way Skyward Sword does (ironically, the original plans for OoT would've been that).

7 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, I can think why. But it'd require actually having Great Zeorymer to understand. So unless you want to be spoiled now since you won't be getting for a while...

I'll wait to see for myself and let the mystique endure for now.😄

The dungefication of the world. Splitting into zones that are much more focused on the mechanics and streamlining the actual dungeons. There's no Compass, the Map accomplishes both and the dungeon item is usually the first thing you end up getting. Also the dungeons themselves are pretty damn short because it's a lot more focused.

Correct me if I'm wrong- aren't many of the dungeons a central room(s) with a save point and radial rooms branching off them? It has been a long time since I last played SS, but the lingering impression is that the designs felt more... hub-centric than before.

And interesting that you enjoy the overworld dungification. Breath of the Wild has been widely lauded and went in the total opposite direction, but I'm unsure of what people generally thought of SS's approach. (I know I dreaded the Silent Realms.) At the time of its release, I thought SS was met with a lukewarm reception.

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hell even the combat is a lot more focused compared to any other game in the series. Lizalfos are actually a threat this time.

It largely abandons the notion of non-sword weapons being useful too, IIRC. Not like the sword isn't used 80-90% of the time when fighting in any Zelda game, but the desire to put WiiMotion Plus controls (I wonder how the HD replacement controls are) in the center made the emphasis on sword combat more of a consciously-felt developer choice. Combat also felt more duel-ish as a result, since frenetic fighting and properly-aimed blade strikes don't exactly go well together.

I'm not criticizing SS here, merely a very old observation of mine.

2 hours ago, Benice said:

OH GOD I'M ON MY WAY TO NEW YORK

AAAAAAAAAAAAA-

Have fun!😃

Your plans are probably already set in stone, but I've been there a few times before. I'm no travel guide, but I could perhaps offer a modicum of useful information.