Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Hi, I’m new to this site it looks like this is a popular chatroom? I don’t know. Is this about Unicorn Overlord right now? I saw something about it being Vanillaware related 

• Replies 177.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I think this is hitting more than the usual VW crowd - it caught attention in many spaces in general

It's going to get a huge boost from Fire Emblem fans honestly.

1 hour ago, GRANDGOBO said:

Hi, I’m new to this site it looks like this is a popular chatroom? I don’t know. Is this about Unicorn Overlord right now? I saw something about it being Vanillaware related 

Welcome to our little corner!

So fun fact

vJ5B6EO2zYQMpuRxXrJn2o.jpg?ex=65ee809e&i

this island right here is the farthest from NLA. It's like just slightly off the edge of the world map. 

Also fun fact, that mech right there is a Lv.80 Tyrant

Good views tho

SycVatjIsqDn5K9eWgKr2c.jpg?ex=65ee809e&i

and then in Cauldros, a rare "it's actually clear skies"

cyi38mov4mz9Kg7ToYWIAF.jpg?ex=65ee809e&i

3 hours ago, GRANDGOBO said:

Hello and welcome to the forest (and to this thread)! It is, there's so much conversation that it's even hard to keep up sometimes lol, so yeah, a pretty active chatroom sorta thread. The SF Discord is also pretty active and people tend to talk about games there a lot, in case you're interested.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

From the bottom of my heart... Thank you. This is marvellous.

20240225121244_1.jpg?ex=65eeb106&is=65dc

20240225123525_1.jpg?ex=65eeb106&is=65dc

20240225132633_1.jpg?ex=65eeb106&is=65dc

I-It all happened so fast.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-Southern Italy. So much for "Mongols can't swim".

Side note

20240225105547_1.jpg?ex=65eeb1f8&is=65dc

The OG Khan had already died before I checked the leader screen but apparently he was called Temujin 'the Feeble' which is incredibly funny.

image.png

What's with the goat? Is it dinner?

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Also fun fact, that mech right there is a Lv.80 Tyrant

Not unexpectable. Given one of the other islands has a Krabble Tyrant that's immune to everything. And it adds some flavor to these distant little islands.

12 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Yes, i could do the same with official loc. Lol

That WAS an official localization. A really bad official localization from an old game.

12 hours ago, Armagon said:

Was hoping the game would be niche enough to be spared.

You kidding me? It is exactly the kind of game that gets hit by the full force of this. You don't see people whining, or at least not on nearly the same level, about the localization of Zelda or Mario or Resident Evil. It's low-fantasy RPGs like this that get it the most.

And well, we've been over this topic before but let me reiterate just once: in my personal and humble opinion, moderate inaccuracies >>>> dry-ass elementary school prose.

11 hours ago, GRANDGOBO said:

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your stay.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's going to get a huge boost from Fire Emblem fans honestly.

I'd go one step further, I feel like only FE fans, aside from a subset of Vanillaware enthusiasts, will care about this. Berwick situation - I mean, we're already seeing it be discussed in FE spaces despite having no direct connection to FE lmao

Edited by Saint Rubenio

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

image.png

What's with the goat? Is it dinner?

I get Zelda vibes from this one.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You kidding me? It is exactly the kind of game that gets hit by the full force of this. You don't see people whining, or at least not on nearly the same level, about the localization of Zelda or Mario or Resident Evil. It's low-fantasy RPGs like this that get it the most.

And well, we've been over this topic before but let me reiterate just once: in my personal and humble opinion, moderate inaccuracies >>>> dry-ass elementary school prose.

If it bothers them that much, they should just play the Japanese version. Oh but they tend to not actually understand the language and instead just run the text through DeepL.

Fun fact that I learned recently: another of Vanillaware's games, Muramasa, had two localizations, the one on the Wii and the one on the Vita (Rebirth).

"The biggest change between Muramasa: The Demon Blade and Muramasa Rebirth is a new localization from Aksys. We asked Hashimoto [the producer] how he felt about the two very different approaches to localizing the game. “The localization in the Wii version was more of a direct translation while Aksys’ localization is more flavorful and closer to the Japanese text. I’m happy with the direction in this version [Aksys localization],” Hashimoto commented."

Basically what this tells us is that being faithful =/= direct translation. These nerds will never realize that tho.

Do you think there's Japanese people who get really mad that the JP localization of an American game isn't a direct 1:1 translation?

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'd go one step further, I feel like only FE fans, aside from a subset of Vanillaware enthusiasts, will care about this. Berwick situation - I mean, we're already seeing it be discussed in FE spaces despite having no direct connection to FE lmao

Ogre Battle fans too. They've been starving for years and this game will fill them up.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Do you think there's Japanese people who get really mad that the JP localization of an American game isn't a direct 1:1 translation?

I would think so. It's not like it's an attitude exclusive to any given group. Though I would think if they complain, it'd be in Japanese sites and in, well, Japanese. So not exactly something we'd see casually unlike people in English complaining of English localizations.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This is only partially related but I have heard how there are Japanese fans of western English shows that also argue if either subs or dubs are better.

But to the point I would have to imagine there's an agreement that direct translations are incomprehensible with how different the languages are.

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I would think so. It's not like it's an attitude exclusive to any given group. Though I would think if they complain, it'd be in Japanese sites and in, well, Japanese. So not exactly something we'd see casually unlike people in English complaining of English localizations.

Japanese man who watches the JP dub of Doctor Who and gets really mad that TARDIS is localized differently (this is a joke, I don't actually know how they localize that in other languages cause the acronym only works in English).

19 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

This is only partially related but I have heard how there are Japanese fans of western English shows that also argue if either subs or dubs are better.

I have heard this yes. And of course, to the extreme, the westaboos....which usually tends to just mean Texas.

20 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

But to the point I would have to imagine there's an agreement that direct translations are incomprehensible with how different the languages are.

And that's just from English to Japanese or vice versa. Imagine Spanish to Japanese. Or Dutch to Indonesian. Etc. There's nuances in language that a direct translation will never capture. 

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I get Zelda vibes from this one.

The bright blue, both in the background and on the gal's clothes. Her long dark blonde hair. A dash of verdant green. Very BotW?

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

"The biggest change between Muramasa: The Demon Blade and Muramasa Rebirth is a new localization from Aksys. We asked Hashimoto [the producer] how he felt about the two very different approaches to localizing the game. “The localization in the Wii version was more of a direct translation while Aksys’ localization is more flavorful and closer to the Japanese text. I’m happy with the direction in this version [Aksys localization],” Hashimoto commented."

Basically what this tells us is that being faithful =/= direct translation. These nerds will never realize that tho.

The producer approved, the opposite of what I heard about Metal Gear Solid 1. The original PS1 translation wasn't direct, which Kojima didn't like, so the GameCube remake MGS: The Twin Snakes was made with a more literal translation.

41 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Japanese man who watches the JP dub of Doctor Who and gets really mad that TARDIS is localized differently (this is a joke, I don't actually know how they localize that in other languages cause the acronym only works in English).

Can acronyms even work in Japanese? Well with hiragana or katakana I imagine, but kanji- I don't see how you could acronymize that.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I can see it still called TARDIS, but it wouldn't be an acronym. Now more of a proper noun.

Or it's still an acronym that only works in English, but they mention the term in Japanese and still call it TARDIS. I think that's how they do oftentimes for cases like this.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

If it bothers them that much, they should just play the Japanese version. Oh but they tend to not actually understand the language and instead just run the text through DeepL.

Fun fact that I learned recently: another of Vanillaware's games, Muramasa, had two localizations, the one on the Wii and the one on the Vita (Rebirth).

That moment when one of the big common arguments against localization is "it's going against the original creator's vision" and then the original creator prefers it that way

Consider how there are people out there who get extremely invested in arguing about Spanish dubs vs Latin American dubs. I'd say this is a human phenomenon.

Ogre Battle fans too. They've been starving for years and this game will fill them up.

They recently-ish had a remake of Tactics Ogre, right? That's about it, though. From what I can tell this game is basically a RTS Tactics Ogre with a Fire Emblem story. I can only hope that'll sate all parties involved.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I can see it still called TARDIS, but it wouldn't be an acronym. Now more of a proper noun.

Or it's still an acronym that only works in English, but they mention the term in Japanese and still call it TARDIS. I think that's how they do oftentimes for cases like this.

Tardis I feel is the kind of acronym that becomes so iconic people just think of it as a name. I figure they'd probably call it Tardis everywhere and just roll with it without thinking much about it.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That moment when one of the big common arguments against localization is "it's going against the original creator's vision" and then the original creator prefers it that way

Interestingly, he still said the localization was "closer to the Japanese text" than the direct translation. That's a curious distinction to make.

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Interestingly, he still said the localization was "closer to the Japanese text" than the direct translation. That's a curious distinction to make.

Artistic intent, perhaps? The original author might've wanted the text to have a specific tone that's lost if the text's transliterated down to its simplest meaning. Japanese is a really different language from English - sure, the direct translation to a sentence might be "let's go", but perhaps the author did intend for it to be read more like "let us be on our way."

I know sometimes the localization changes are far more dramatic than that, but even then, if the core meaning (the character wants to start moving) is preserved, using different words to convey it doesn't have to be a bad thing.

But well, I'm just speculating here.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

36 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

They recently-ish had a remake of Tactics Ogre, right?

You mean Reborn? I wouldnt say recent for that, but yeah.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Oh but they tend to not actually understand the language

Yeah how about no. Quite a few of them do actually speak the language, are japanese themselves and/or have contacts with jp peeps (or jp speaking peeps). Also in close contacts with fan translators that do actually provide contexts on why something was translated like that and teach us about language use or cultural context as well.

There's a difference between being faithful and changing the whole thing.

And as IO pointed out not everyone approves, and it's not rare for localizers to go behind the author's back, either, or for bad translations to happen and to only be corrected after western fan outrage reaches JP side.

See Ys 8, or the BL manga i talked about a while ago. And that's just the tip of the iceberg

Translation problems and inaccuracies are not limited to translations to English.

And my preference to OG language is not limited to jp either - i am like that with every language.

There's nuances in language that a direct translation will never capture. 

And a good localization will cover that and change appropriately

A bad one will deliver a completely different meaning.

39 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

as pointed out - cherry picking.

----

While only slightly related - and not quite relevant since it was in a completely different (and much more serious) field - i worked with translators before (no, not jp) - and what's happening and excused in the localization scene is of the things i learned are big no-nos - and would lead to anyone losing their job and to be blacklisted honestly.

Again - different field - so not everything applies - but dear god the whitewashing that's happening in the localization field is honestly quite annoying.

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

as pointed out - cherry picking.

Oh, certainly. Case-by-case basis. I'm not saying there's no bad localizations out there. The joke was probably a bit too confrontational in tone, though, I'll admit.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

While only slightly related - and not quite relevant since it's was in a completely different (& much more serious) field - i worked with translators before (no, not jp) - and what's happening and excused in the localization scene is of the things i learned are big no-nos - and would lead to anyone losing their job and to be blacklisted honestly.

Again - different field - so not everything applies - but dear god the whitewashing that's happening in the localization field is honestly quite annoying.

...Would you elaborate on that? By all means, let me know what's happening in the localization field that's so evil, because I frankly have no idea.