• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

55 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Nordics is after Ys 2 tho xD

I know, but YsX sets a precedent.😜 Well, technically, isn't it Ys IV that does?

It's one of my fav. locales actually. I liked the whole city in the sky thing, and i was very curious about it since i played Ys origin first.

I was just expecting something more amazing for the ancient place of legend whose by fate would be of that of the franchise although, thinking about it, at least it's a better name than "Fire Emblem". -Maybe if the hi-tech core of Ys was an actual dungeon as opposed to a quick peaceful stroll to the final boss.

Don't tell me you also missed on the best OP Falcom ever created

they were never able to top this, and never will.

I saw it, though I felt it was a little weird, owing to the sheer epic audio-visual bombast contrasted against the simple reality of Ys I & II.😅

53 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Adol's absolute murder time

46 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Ys fangirl mode Shrimp is active

Nothing wrong with that.😄 Thanks for pointing out the highlights.😉

Also i love alot of Ys 2 Chronicles' ost. Especially the later parts.

We all have that OST or two that we never get tired of.:

Mine, in case I haven't ever indicated this before.😜 The number of days I've spent listening to a few of the 100-odd tracks are innumerable. Not all are huge hits, but I adore the vast majority of them. From the many bellicose

...even to the stray peaceful one.🎧

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well, technically, isn't it Ys IV that does?

yes

I was just expecting something more amazing for the ancient place of legend whose by fate would be of that of the franchise

fair - but i also knew from cutscenes in Ys Origin how Ys kinda looked like xD

We all have that OST or two that we never get tired of

😄

Even my brother pointed out how i was like "old Shrimpy" for a bit when i was listening to the music and posting it here 😄

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

he number of days I've spent listening to a few of the 100-odd tracks are innumerable

SRW tracks are usually pretty 🔥 

...is the 2nd one a prep theme? Does have that vibe

41 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I don't remember fangirling there

You were there?

Plenty of Falcom talk, for sure.

12 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Yet why don't you play?

It is.

16 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

And since you don't care for it gameplay-wise, I hope ya don't mind me throwing a track or two your way as I have.😆

16 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Peaceful story/dialogue theme for Original Generation 1.

Need something to accompany all the chill, silly, explanatory, unvoiced dialogue on a battleship before every mission. This plus it's similar-but-different Original Generation 2 companion track...

...Were the essence of video game conversation-music for the younger me.😌 And still kinda are. (Admittedly, they probably wouldn't work as well as they did if SRW had VAs burying the music.) I'll admit my most recent homoromantic mecha-styled daydream has seen me use these too much as the musical backdrop in the past few days.

-Though again,

the battle stuff was important too.😛

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Peaceful story/dialogue theme for Original Generation

These 2 give me Digimon vibes

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Dark Prison

I like this one alot.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Fight for Tomorrow

2hu vibes

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I like this one alot.

The most recent rendition, with some sound effect-free & VA-free animations to go with it for your viewing pleasure.

I chose to post it because of the moment I first heard it. Ryusei Route Episode 5.

Spoiler
  • The three heroes of Team SRX are assigned to an event taking place in Antartica, their superiors are wary of what's going to happen on this occasion, but the trio are entirely unaware. They reach Antartica and see the unveiling of the new Space Noah-class battleship the Shirogane, and next to it the new robot called Granzon.
  • It's then that, out of nowhere, another battleship, clearly alien, shows up, yet emissaries emerge from the ship and the Earth Federation forces go to greet them. How odd. It's then noticed that the special observe to the event, Dr. Shu Shirakawa, isn't present.
  • The Granzon moves. Shu is inside it! Dark Prison, begins.

giphy.gif

He says that alien ship won't fool him, and attacks it as shown above -well, a simpler GBA animation.

The aliens deploy the unmanned blue bugs they have done in prior fights, SRX Team helps a bunch of NPC Federation tanks fight them, as well as the Shirogane.

After several turns, the aliens flee the battleship. But Shu isn't done. He is here to send a verbally-unstated message- ATTENTION FEDERATION GOVERNMENT! YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO SELL OUT THE EARTH TO ALIENS BEHIND HUMANITY'S BACKS! And to make that message absolutely clear, Shu obliterates the Federation tanks with a MAP attack. He leaves only the Shirogane behind, but not for long. As his declaration of war against the spineless, self-serving Federation...

Black Hole Cluster!😈

The latest Federation battleship newly deployed, sunk in a single shot. Ryusei, being a gamer-turned-test-pilot with only a few weeks of training, is overwhelmed by the scene and is unable to keep fighting. Thankfully, after a turn or two where you can do absolutely nothing again Granzon, Shu has done what he was sent here to do, and leaves as soon as his green-haired gnat shows up having chased him here, but it's too late. Team SRX aside, nothing remains.

Immediately after this, the genius researcher Bian Zoldark announces to the world his paramilitary organization the Divine Crusaders and his plans to unite their Earth under a military government. In order to stand a chance opposing the alien menace the Federation has been hiding from the public, humanity must stand united, by force if need be! Shu's assignment at Antarctica as Zoldark's right hand, was to resolutely scuttle any "peace" -surrender- talks. And scuttle those plans he did, to put it understatedly.

-Is this more a cutscene than an actual battle with serious gameplay?🤔 Yes, I would say so. But did I mind it at the time? No, not really, I was floored by it all. And the sounding of Dark Prison ("Man in the Dark" as Atlus localized it -but nobody ever calls it that) was the musical magic that elevated this Antarctic devastation to nothing short of unforgettable shock & awe.

TL;DR

I was... 13, maybe 14 at the time I played Super Robot Taisen Original Generation (1) on the GBA? I didn't have that many JRPG/SRPG/anime game experiences in my life's catalog at the time. The above chapter in OG1 was very memorable to me, and his iconic theme only served to further ingrain it in my memory to this very day.

No matter how many times I listen to it, Dark Prison can still fill me with reverence towards dreadful power of Granzon and the aura of Shu. It can even make me laugh maniacally, no other composition has that power over me.😏

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, since we are posting...

Alfimi's theme is memorable too of course. How could it not be? Younger me really liked her gradual struggle/awakening to her humanity.😃 Plus the Lichkeit is very distinctive.

I'll admit at one point, years later (not sure when it began exactly), that Alfimi's inability to understand how Kyosuke made her feel, felt relatable to me. I came for a time to use Alfimi as a "mental embodiment of an aspect of myself", that part of me which didn't quite understand but was perturbed by my slowly-surfacing attraction to men. And no, I don't think there's anything wrong with internally personifying part of yourself as someone of the opposite gender. My younger self rather quickly got to using Tales of Symphonia's Presea as the embodiment of my fearful awareness of the inevitability of death and the irreversible passing of time, although not quite depression, perhaps until the first year or so of college.

18 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I've heard this before, but I was not aware this was an Impact tune. Here I thought it originated in EF1.

29 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

...Now this one I don't think made any appearance in the OGverse. Sounds like that was a mistake (the absence I mean).

Alfimi's theme is memorable too of course. How could it not be? Younger me really liked her gradual struggle/awakening to her humanity.😃 Plus the Lichkeit is very distinctive.

Yep. She truly is Excellen's other side of the coin, eh.

I've heard this before, but I was not aware this was an Impact tune. Here I thought it originated in EF1.

This, as well a few others, come from all the way back in Compact. Getting reused and remixed throughout the years.

...Now this one I don't think made any appearance in the OGverse. Sounds like that was a mistake (the absence I mean).

It's one of the map themes. Guess it was passed over others such as The Beckoned Foreigner and Fight for Tomorrow (it plays on the final map of Compact, at least, but I gues it is more the title screen theme).

Okay, it will be off to Mistwald... tomorrow.

Time for some Stellaris... hmm... it's too tempting to just start over, pft...

Not sure what to start/play today. My 🐶 is feeling okay now with the help of medication, though it's obvious their days are numbered and what exactly will end them. So I feel like I can start something new that isn't pure-gameplay and not have it contaminated by the sting of loss. Yet I'm still undecided.😅

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Funny how it's from the game you only picked up for five minutes.

Come now, be fair with me. I picked it up for like 90 minutes. Spent 30 of those reading exposition and another 30 reading comedic hijinks, leading to a first map less complex than the Sacred Stones prologue. Then more hijinks.

No ill-will towards the series, it's just not my preferred kind of strategy game. Or story. Good music, though!

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_2024-03-26-10-12-16-57_0b2fce

They just be writing anything these days.

Whatever it takes to keep making more romcoms that are all identical, I guess.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

You read like a snail...

Fine, it was too much for you to handle. Okay.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You read like a snail...

Fine, it was too much for you to handle. Okay.

See, this is why I usually try to avoid talking about SRW with you. Clearly I need to be more diligent about it.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

See, this is why I usually try to avoid talking about SRW with you. Clearly I need to be more diligent about it.

I mean, "no ill-will", after saying it took you 30 minutes to read the pre-map text. Either you really do read slow, or it's an outright mock/exaggeration.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, "no ill-will", after saying it took you 30 minutes to read the pre-map text. Either you really do read slow, or it's an outright mock/exaggeration.

Perhaps I misremembered. It was a while back. The problem wasn't the amount of text, anyway, it was the genre, the tone and the characters, which weren't to my (personal, subjective) liking. And, again, the fact that the first map was basically a glorified cutscene before throwing me at more comedic hijinks. I decided the game was not the kind of game I enjoy, which is fine, I'm not saying it's bad at all, I'm just saying it's not my kind of game. That's all I've ever said, and I'm sorry if it came across differently.

But, really, that's enough. I shouldn't have said anything at all. My bad.

Sorry for acting up, too.

It's just that, it really did came that you were giving up too easily. Story bothering you? You can skip it, or at least, I'm sure J allowed you to do so. First map too easy? It's the first map, of course it would be. But then you didn't bother to see if the difficulty was ramping up in the following maps.

SRW is a story-driven series, I won't deny that. It doesn't do things like permadeath, or gating a good chunk of its dialogue to optional stuff like a Support System. So it's more mandatory text to see. I do have a bias for reading, I'll admit, so it doesn't bother me.

Edited by Acacia Sgt