Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

12 minutes ago, Shrimpica said:

Zenbu Zenbu Zenbu Zenbu 🎶

A good mood, eh?😀

-And another avi change (I see the sig too). I was considering one myself ...but I don't think I really feel like it.

---

@Acacia Sgt

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024/04/japans-life-sized-gundam-powers-down-for-the-final-time

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A good mood, eh?😀

No, not really. Not at all, even.

But singing helps lol

And Holo. Holo made me forget yesterday night that long weekend is over

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-And another avi change (I see the sig too)

Was feeling like it for a while, but lacked the will to do so. Then Holo happened

Edited by Shrimpica

31 minutes ago, Shrimpica said:

No, not really. Not at all, even.

My sympathies.🙂 

I'm not exactly in the highest of spirits myself (small rant).:

Spoiler

Rainy cold weather (can't wait for good spring weather) for the past few days makes even a serious homebody like me feel inside. I finally burnt myself out of my most recent daydream (I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did, given my utter lack of creativity).

And without that daydream, now I'm just left feeling some despair, some frustration at having broken my self-promised "book something" end-of-the-month deadline. I found what seemed like a perfect counselor that'd put me on the assembly line to speedy existential contentment- explicitly expertise in helping autistic people with life transitions, yay!😄 ...But my insurance ended up being a form of Medicare despite the private company name on it. And Medicare being gov't insurance means it ends up rejected by many therapists, including The One.☹️ I only have myself to blame, since if I had a job with private coverage, I likely wouldn't have been rejected ...but would I even be in this situation, then?

So I'm back to inquiring, going slowly firing off a few more emails and being stuck having to wait for days to pass for even the most modest of responses. I'm tired of waiting.

I'm managing though.

31 minutes ago, Shrimpica said:

But singing helps lol

I sorta get what ya mean.🎙️ I've been checking for reviews for this game for the past few days. -Not my usual thing at all, but I'm feeling a teensy bit adventurous. The disclaimer is surprising and 😐 to me, and I don't care much for the game's subject. But... I'm picky, I'm limited, and visually this looks up to the polished standard that I crave. I read it's going to be ported also to Switch, and considering the game's name and knowing buying it on Steam (but not Switch) might result in somebody else IRL seeing that title, I'll wait for the Switch version.😆 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And Medicare being gov't insurance means it ends up rejected by many therapists

What's even the point then ffs

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Steam (but not Switch) might result in somebody else IRL seeing that title

doesn't steam have a hide the game option now xD

19 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

Thats how I generally view it.

Heard about one on the radio today that definitely fit your description

Daughter checks into the hospital sick. Mom visits every day for about 4 days. Daughter’s friends call mom April 1st and say her condition took a big turn for the worse and daughter died. Mom gets to the hospital and they all appear and say April fools

Mom hasn’t spoken to daughter for 2 years

Little brat needs the shit slapped out of her for that prank IMHO

1 hour ago, Shrimpica said:

What's even the point then ffs

There are still some that take Medicare (the Internet exists, finding such people won't take too long if you prioritize it), private insurance is just better. All I need is one decent option anyway.

And it's not like I'm that mentally-ailed; I'm intelligent, supremely introspective/self-reflective. It's not that I need to find out an underlying cause of my *sigh*, more I just want somebody professionally trained to talk about it with and discuss the possibility of solutions. I'd be a fairly easy patient I'd think, makes it kinda feel like I'm too healthy and shouldn't bother with this, I should be able to get over it on my own. -But I haven't. And I'm possibly belittling myself downplaying my situation like this.😅

doesn't steam have a hide the game option now xD

Lacking an independent income b/c no job, it's somebody else's 'card that'd end up buying it. And they're responsible with their finances and get updates on every purchase made, that's what I'm concerned about. I'm concerned about the name for that reason (though yeah I'd probably hide it on DL'ed too). It's why I have (almost) no qualms thinking about buying Paradiso Guardian whenever it goes on sale (reviews say too short to me for the full price), the name sounds like ordinary video game nonsense, nothing to arouse suspicions. ...Despite the fact Paradiso Guardian is a Metroidvania with a few 🍆🍆 h-scene CGs tossed in.😝 

偽りの体は、 それでも剣で出来ていた。

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-But I haven't

That means you need someone to talk to!

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Lacking an independent income b/c no job, it's somebody else's 'card that'd end up buying it. And they're responsible with their finances and get updates on every purchase made, that's what I'm concerned about.

ah

yh

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Despite the fact Paradiso Guardian is a Metroidvania with a few 🍆🍆 h-scene CGs tossed in.😝

sneaky 😛 

So, funny story.

TIL that Lumera also follows the wine/grape naming theme that Lythos has. As her Japanese name, Lumiere, is also a Wine Brand. In Japan, despite the French name.

Château Lumière | Winery (vivino.com)

Now, remember that one-shot I wrote, where I gave Alear a half-Fell half-Divine daughter? Aurora was the name I choose. I chose it for its meaning/ties to light, as Lumera's name is. Well, it turns out...

Aurore (grape) - Wikipedia

Turns out there's a grape also named after Aurora. And get this, it's a hybrid grape.

Sometimes GIF | Sometimes My Genius... It's Almost Frightening | Know ...

Unicorn Overlord review:

Vanillaware i thank you for the meal. They once again did not miss. An excellently crafted SRPG with fun characters, good music, and of course, fantastic visuals. All of this formed to create a game that asked a very bold question: what if Genealogy of the Holy War was good?

Honestly despite the format obviously being different, that's not a joke. This game very much feels like FE4 in some ways and given the devs' obvious love for Fire Emblem (Alain is literally Marth), it makes sense for there to be some interesting similarities. The battles all take place on the overworld itself. The terrain that you see, the areas, that's what you're fighting on. The goal each time is to capture the enemy's main command post while defending your own and capturing outposts in between. It manages to convey that epic warfare feeling and actually gives weight to the whole "liberating" thing. I found myself looking to each battle and i legit started getting a bit disappointed when i knew i was running out of fights. Because it's just so good. The sheer flexibility that's on display here really allows this game to be replayed an endless amount of ways i think.

What i really like about the combat is that the battle forecast tells you exactly what will happen in that instance. It makes sense, given the sheer variety of factors that go into determining an outcome. Because the stages are real time, there's more that goes into the strategy than simply just parking your gigachad unit in a good spot and having enemies suicide on them. While there's normally no permadeath, the game still discourages suicide tactics since stamina limits how many times a squad can attack. Squads with zero stamina can't move, which isn't something you want happen to you in a real-time game. The enemy also plays by these rules though. Honestly, that goes for pretty much the entire game. Save for specific bosses, i don't think there's anything the enemy has that you don't.

Continuing on the gameplay, the classes all rock. Well almost all of them. But even the worst ones still fill their niches quite well and certainly have more versatility than Fire Emblem classes. For example, Armor Knights can actually do things. And the thing that helps all this versatility is that each class has both skills for in and out of combat (that is, map effects). For example, Armor Knights can negate damage taken from out of battle effects. Archers can make arrows rain down for AoE, bypassing enemy defenses because it's on the map. Witches can teleport the whole squad. There's quite a lot.

This write-up honestly doesn't cover all of it. Play the demo to get an idea.

When it comes to writing, there is a bit of a divide here. Is the writing as good as 13 Sentinels? lol no. 13 Sentinels' is still Vanillaware's magnum opus when it comes to storytelling. That said, there's a lot of elements to like here. The cast of characters is great and memorable and i like the game's take on Fire Emblem's Support system more than how Fire Emblem does it. I think Fire Emblem could learn something here, as Unicorn Overlord doesn't force it's Supports to completely stretch each conversation into the full CBA chain. I haven't gone through all the convos yet but i don't think there's a single character i dislike here. I also think the director is incredibly based for allowing every recruitable character to be recruited in one run. The game is inspired by Ogre Battle but not it's cryptic as hell character recruitment methods.

The game also has pretty good worldbuilding. You can get that through the convos, the Side Quests or just reading up the logs. Basically every location, however big or small, gets an entry and it does a good job at making the world feel alive. On the visual aspect, each country is very distinct from each other. I believe that visuals itself can serve as a form of worldbuilding, just look at Xenoblade. All of these elements, in my opinion, help support the main plot. The main plot itself is pretty basic but this is one of those games where you really don't get the full experience if you only stick to the main plot.

I really don't have anything really negative to say about this game.  I do have a few minor nitpicks however. The Tactics system, as robust as it is, could've had a bit more specificity to it. And for how much control over things you have, a Path of Radiance-style "commands" system that you can give to AI controlled units would've helped. I also think it's kinda noticeable that the game ran out of money towards the end. In an interview they explained how they kept adding more and more recruitable characters which i feel kinda explains why a lot of the recruits are frontloaded into Cornia and Drakenhold. The Albion arc in particular is very short. Ironically, it's maps are probably the longest.

Vanillaware cooked, just like how they cooked all that delicious food in their games, good God, it's all gorgeous. I'd ask for a sequel to like, iron some stuff out but Vanillaware doesn't even do spiritual sequels so honestly, i'm ok with how this turned out. They spent 10 years on this game, ran out of money in the process, but it's ok because they put out an absolute banger. Want an FE4 remake? Just play this instead.

Opera_Snapshot_2024-04-02_192858_www.bac

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Lacking an independent income b/c no job, it's somebody else's 'card that'd end up buying it. And they're responsible with their finances and get updates on every purchase made, that's what I'm concerned about. I'm concerned about the name for that reason (though yeah I'd probably hide it on DL'ed too).

There is another way

tumblr_nag12q09ga1sif9owo1_500.gif

50 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So, funny story.

TIL that Lumera also follows the wine/grape naming theme that Lythos has. As her Japanese name, Lumiere, is also a Wine Brand. In Japan, despite the French name.

Now, remember that one-shot I wrote, where I gave Alear a half-Fell half-Divine daughter? Aurora was the name I choose. I chose it for its meaning/ties to light, as Lumera's name is. Well, it turns out...

Turns out there's a grape also named after Aurora. And get this, it's a hybrid grape.

Sometimes GIF | Sometimes My Genius... It's Almost Frightening | Know ...

That's actually pretty amazing. It just worked out.

偽りの体は、 それでも剣で出来ていた。

"The false body was made of swords."?

...And seeing what you posted later, I take it this is related to that "bone of my sword" Fate thing I remember you and Draggy used to laughingly share in?

That means you need someone to talk to!

Immediately after writing what I just wrote- some people go to the doctor's when they have a cold or a sore throat, things not majorly serious at all. Why not the same with afflictions of the mind?😅 (Even if what I feel is possibly more serious than that.)

...Filling out a lengthy Internet form before I can make an appointment does feel imposingly serious though.😅 I get that it's totally impersonal, generalized paperwork asking for basic information that everyone has to fill out, but it does contribute I think to the sense of "why should I seek help, when I really don't have it that bad"?

sneaky 😛 

Even were PG to be a 7/10 video game, I'm just happy it even exists.😄 A Metroidvania with male-male fanservice, who'da think of that?😛 I'm well aware BL is invariably confined to VNs, a genre that's pretty foreign for me (I've nothing against VNs ofc I'm actually eagerly awaiting one). Metroidvanias are something I'm very familiar with, it's far less of a reach for me. And why should wholeheartedly-queer gaming be limited to visual novels (and avatarsexual farming sims)?😀

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So, funny story.

*Clicks the Wikipedia*

A European-American hybrid. No surprise there.

I did read a general history of wine.🤓 When Europeans began settling the Americas, they "tried" making viticulture work. North America had its own native grape varieties -but Europeans discovered they tasted terrible as wine. Vitis vinifera, the Old World grape, was attempted as well of course -but they had no resistance to North American grape diseases and grape-eating insects, so they too failed.

Eventually, after enough failures (there were many, a few sponsored by the early USA government), the US did succeed in making good wine from North American grapes. ...Although they weren't 100% genetically native I believe. The failed attempts to grow European grape vines did result in some pollen getting carried by the winds and fertilizing nearby American vines, creating unintended hybrids. These later became the basis of a USA wine industry using "American" grapes. -Although this would eventually die out with only modest modern revival efforts. Prohibition was one thing, but it was mostly that wine-wanting Americans sought to grow the European classic varieties in the Western Hemisphere (which they managed to do in South America, Chile I think), which eventually came to fruition.

However! Starting in the late 1850s, something nightmarish-yet-fascinating-in-retrospect happened in Europe. A species of aphid called "phylloxera" crossed from North America to Europe, and began devouring the roots of Old World grape vines. In about a decade-and-a-half (into the early 1870s), French vineyards began suffering grapevine casualties upwards of 50%. Since these vile bugs were native to the Americas, European vines had no resistance. It was a crisis threatening the existence of the entire wine industry. While some employed harsh chemicals to stave off the devouring swarms, what proved most successful was something very different. They would graft American grape roots to European grapes. North American grapes had evolved resistance to phylloxera, and phylloxera only attacked the roots. Grafting roots did nothing to affect the flavor of the traditional European wine grapes, so it was a win-win. Though some opposed grafting, it is indisputable that American bottoms + European tops is what saved the global wine industry from extinction.🍷

25 minutes ago, Armagon said:

There is another way

Yes- one of you my dear friends could gift me it!🎁 🤗-But then how would I return the favor?🤔 -I can't, so don't bother.😛

25 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Vanillaware cooked,

A little late for this, given how long ago it feels like you finished it. And, no surprise on the loving praise (most of which I skimmed past so I can form my own opinion with less impression from you).🍦

I'll get to it... ...I have no excuse for not doing so despite vowing I would.😅 But I've got a few days coming up where I can plunge into a nice big Switch game.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

23 minutes ago, Shrimpica said:

Has been like 10 years for me, give or take, Ciel

10 years ago I got into Doctor Who.

.....wait 10 years ago since i got into Doctor Who

LjkcSf.gif

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Immediately after writing what I just wrote- some people go to the doctor's when they have a cold or a sore throat, things not majorly serious at all

Yeah like last week i legit went just because i had back pain. Actually not even back pain, more like back inconvenience. 

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

..And seeing what you posted later, I take it this is related to that "bone of my sword" Fate thing I remember you and Draggy used to laughingly share in?

kGia7Zq.png
DTkYNJ6.png
TWexM4t.png
1VSNWod.png
sl38G8e.png
a2V18nr.png
CwyqAn8.png
lB4bPDJ.png

Why not the same with afflictions of the mind?😅 (Even if what I feel is possibly more serious than that.)

exactly!

"why should I seek help, when I really don't have it that bad"?

Even if it's not that bad, there's nothing wrong in wanting to improve oneself

I should tell that to myself

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

VNs, a genre that's pretty foreign for me

You say that just as i started one xD

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

.....wait 10 years ago since i got into Doctor Who

There There, Armagon.

10 years ago i am pretty sure i got the newly released N64.

39 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That's actually pretty amazing. It just worked out.

Yeah, it's great. Though now I have to see if I have to change or not her mother's name to preserve the double theme with her too.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

*Clicks the Wikipedia*

A European-American hybrid. No surprise there.

I did read a general history of wine.🤓 When Europeans began settling the Americas, they "tried" making viticulture work. North America had its own native grape varieties -but Europeans discovered they tasted terrible as wine. Vitis vinifera, the Old World grape, was attempted as well of course -but they had no resistance to North American grape diseases and grape-eating insects, so they too failed.

Eventually, after enough failures (there were many, a few sponsored by the early USA government), the US did succeed in making good wine from North American grapes. ...Although they weren't 100% genetically native I believe. The failed attempts to grow European grape vines did result in some pollen getting carried by the winds and fertilizing nearby American vines, creating unintended hybrids. These later became the basis of a USA wine industry using "American" grapes. -Although this would eventually die out with only modest modern revival efforts. Prohibition was one thing, but it was mostly that wine-wanting Americans sought to grow the European classic varieties in the Western Hemisphere (which they managed to do in South America, Chile I think), which eventually came to fruition.

However! Starting in the late 1850s, something nightmarish-yet-fascinating-in-retrospect happened in Europe. A species of aphid called "phylloxera" crossed from North America to Europe, and began devouring the roots of Old World grape vines. In about a decade-and-a-half (into the early 1870s), French vineyards began suffering grapevine casualties upwards of 50%. Since these vile bugs were native to the Americas, European vines had no resistance. It was a crisis threatening the existence of the entire wine industry. While some employed harsh chemicals to stave off the devouring swarms, what proved most successful was something very different. They would graft American grape roots to European grapes. North American grapes had evolved resistance to phylloxera, and phylloxera only attacked the roots. Grafting roots did nothing to affect the flavor of the traditional European wine grapes, so it was a win-win. Though some opposed grafting, it is indisputable that American bottoms + European tops is what saved the global wine industry from extinction.🍷

Interesting. Over here we have actually have this:

Mexico's Historic Wine Route — Baja Test Kitchen | Mexico Wine Tours | Culinary Tours | Craft Beer Tours

Not that far from my own hometown, even.

9 minutes ago, Shrimpica said:

*Unlimited Fun Shrimpy*

...I see my guess was correct.🤣

9 minutes ago, Shrimpica said:

I should tell that to myself

And you haven't noticed I've told myself many things that I don't end up doing?🙂

"You preach, yet you don't practice" is an error that sometimes is only human and entirely acceptable to make. What you feel, what I feel, these are acceptable instances. Other times... go to jail you creepy hypocritical rich powerful bastards.

18 minutes ago, Shrimpica said:

You say that just as i started one xD

Hey! I'm glad you can freely enjoy them.😃 I'm more critical of myself for having such a limited palette.😆 If only I had been vaxxed with VNs when I was younger.💉 And took up a lasting interest (very-young me saw a few episodes of various things) in anime/manga and not merely video games of the same feather.

16 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Interesting. Over here we have actually have this:

Mexico's Historic Wine Route — Baja Test Kitchen | Mexico Wine Tours | Culinary Tours | Craft Beer Tours

Not that far from my own hometown, even.

I don't drink, but I like viticulture even so. Thanks for sharing!😁

I kinda forgot from the book I read how the south-of-the-USA American wine industry panned out. But Catholicism demands eucharistic blood, so the vine of wine had to take root. ...The Baja having the oldest continuously operating commercial winery in the Americas? Neato!😄

O2XHxLU.png

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

go to jail you creepy hypocritical rich powerful bastards.

DOWN WITH THE RICH!

'm more critical of myself for having such a limited palette.

Eh

you enjoy what you enjoy 😉

nd took up a lasting interest (very-young me saw a few episodes of various things) in anime/manga and not merely video games of the same feather.

Tbf

I am much more into games than animanga as well. I take vidya over animanga any day of the week