Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

That moment where it felt like I wrote a lot... and it's still less than 500 words. Well then...

---

I hope there's a Mystery Dungeon Explorers DX...

I should totally get Rescue Team DX. Should put it on the to-buy list...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• Replies 177.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

14 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Wagner and Henning from Binding Blade spring to mind. Lol

Every game should learn boss design from Binding Blade. Henning stays with just about everyone who plays the game. Now that's what you call a memorable boss.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Every game should learn boss design from Binding Blade. Henning stays with just about everyone who plays the game. Now that's what you call a memorable boss.

"Glory to Thracia!!!" 

xqcz1y4.png

What else should i expect from "People die when they are killed", "The Archer class is really made up of Archers" and "THIS CHAIR" x 100

Glad to see Nasu still got it

E4yazHX.png

lol

muJm6Bk.png
>300 yen
>expensive

Pls, a freaking small bread with cheese is like 5€ nowadays

1HjcBya.png

Something something boy meets girl something

Edited by Shrimpica

I always laugh when I see comparisons between Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube and the Switch and that the port to the Switch is straight garbage. 

No excuses as to why newer hardware can't competently run an old game. They really did a fantastic game dirty by doing that. I believe some of the issues were fixed a while back, but they have plenty that went untouched. 

So, I began Chapter 10 and... hmm, not sure how to take it. For the most time I stick to a single linear narrative, but then for Chapter 9 I switched the POV around. I feel I might still need to do it for Chapter 10 as well. Though perhaps I should go back to be it linear. Hmm...

7 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

No excuses as to why newer hardware can't competently run an old game.

How Namco has been treating Tales is pretty bad honestly. Did you see they delisted like half the series off the PS4/Vita JP stores?

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

How Namco has been treating Tales is pretty bad honestly. Did you see they delisted like half the series off the PS4/Vita JP stores?

I did! Glad that I have pretty much all of them already!

Oh, they also removed a few of the PS3 ones. Which is... weird. Are they planning to remove all eventually and will do it in parts, then?

... I'll admit, I think I won't bother anymore. Had my chance but never took it. Oh well.

Then again, half-measures is probably not surprising coming from them. Like how PC porting was only done for... 2-3 of them? Then nothing more.

24 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, they also removed a few of the PS3 ones. Which is... weird. Are they planning to remove all eventually and will do it in parts, then?

... I'll admit, I think I won't bother anymore. Had my chance but never took it. Oh well.

PS3 Tales era is the best imo.

Ofc Symphonia is timeless as a game and I personally enjoyed Abyss' combat more than I expected to, and its story is actually pretty solid. 

Yeah, Symphonia was a fun ride. I think I already knew of the series beforehand (pretty sure knew of Phantasia at least), and Symphonia was like the easiest/first I came across and able to buy.

Ah, wait, I got it at the earliest 2008 since it was when I had the Wii. Hmm... nah, by that point I'm sure I already knew of Tales and had looked it up a lot.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

On 4/4/2024 at 9:52 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

You mean like how Idunn goes down in 3-4 hits from Roy with the Binding Blade? 🤔

10 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

No excuses as to why newer hardware can't competently run an old game. They really did a fantastic game dirty by doing that. I believe some of the issues were fixed a while back, but they have plenty that went untouched. 

Some PC games are an absolute bitch to get runnin on the new version of Windows

I couldn’t get Witcher 2, Dragon Age, or Temple of Elemental Evil to run

Having played Endless Space 2 so much lately, I picked up the franchise predecessor Endless Legend. A fantasy (despite being in a sci-fi world) 4X, which has been devouring my time for the past few days.😅 ES2 is definitely the better game but I do appreciate seeing how ideas in EL were altered/improved on in ES2. Might try doing one more match (did only three to completion- the one-city Cultists, the diplomatic Drakken, the Dust-focused Broken Lords) before moving on to something else.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, the preservation of Tales is quite awful. Modern consoles and the preservation gold standard of Steam until corpos tank it 15 years from now, then we'll have an extraordinary crisis at hand have only the following.:

• Symphonia + Dawn of the New World
  • Vesperia
  • Zestiria
  • Berseria
  • Arise

...There are serious problems with this, one of the longest-running and prolific JRPG franchises.

For one, where is Abyss?🤨 It was pretty significant at least to the Western gaming world with regards to Tales, forming something of a "breakout trifecta" with Symph and Vesp. Graces and Xillia 1&2 should both be here as well. There is no reason we shouldn't have all the major 3D home console games available.

And then there's the "lesser" titles as far as the West is concerned. We've got the pre-Symphonia quartet of Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia, Destiny 2, and the post-Symphonia 2D and portable entries- Rebirth, Legendia, Tempest, Innocence, Hearts. Plus a few spinoffs.

We're missing 13 entries Namco, why? 🤔

For comparison, Square is somehow making most of the SaGa games available nowadays and those are mega-niche JRPGs. And Final Fantasy is very available.  -Although, Square Enix leaves me confused on Dragon Quest (I want to play VI!).😑 We have DQXI on Steam, and the Switch gets the Erdrick Trilogy (1-3) ...but Erdrick isn't available on Steam? Nor is the Zenithia Trilogy (4-6) available anywhere (maybe iOS?), nor are 7 or 8. 9 was a bit dependent on DS WiFi, so I think I get why it would be ignored, and 10 is a Japan-only MMO. 

As for Atlus, I do think they should consider porting IV & IV Apocalypse, Strange Journey, and Devil Survivors 1&2 and Digital Devil Saga 1&2, I think could make a quick buck doing those (also Radiant Historia). -But I get why they would never want to touch anything pre-Nocturne on SMT, having played both SMT1 and Soul Hackers 1, they feel rather ancient, more of a slog than DQ actually and without the charm.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

36 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although, Square Enix leaves me confused on Dragon Quest (I want to play VI!).😑 We have DQXI on Steam, and the Switch gets the Erdrick Trilogy (1-3) ...but Erdrick isn't available on Steam? Nor is the Zenithia Trilogy (4-6) available anywhere (maybe iOS?), nor are 7 or 8. 9 was a bit dependent on DS WiFi, so I think I get why it would be ignored, and 10 is a Japan-only MMO. 

I-VIII are all available on mobile, actually. For the Zenithian trilogy, it's even their best versions, thanks to IV finally putting Party Chat in the English version, and V adding the Monster Magnet for easier monster taming, and VI raised the Vocation Level caps overall and made the WiFi stuff available through more regular means.

That said, VII is Japan-only, because it's a port of the 3DS version, and Nintendo owns the localization. And VIII is a port of the PS2... Japanese version. It has a few QoL updates like instant Alchemy Pot, but other than that, it's a downgrade from even the PS2 English version.

So... better than nothing, but still lacking in execution. Since... why is X still Japan-only, for the Almighty's sake! Worse still, the offline version is also Japan only... for some reason. Well, other than it's meant to be a teaser to get you to try out the MMO, so there's some sense to not localize it... but still!

30 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I-VIII are all available on mobile, actually. For the Zenithian trilogy, it's even their best versions, thanks to IV finally putting Party Chat in the English version, and V adding the Monster Magnet for easier monster taming, and VI raised the Vocation Level caps overall and made the WiFi stuff available through more regular means.

That said, VII is Japan-only, because it's a port of the 3DS version, and Nintendo owns the localization. And VIII is a port of the PS2... Japanese version. It has a few QoL updates like instant Alchemy Pot, but other than that, it's a downgrade from even the PS2 English version.

Why only mobile though?🤔 -I really don't want to have to get through VI using touch controls. SMT1 and FFV were enough. 

Hopefully the situation improves when that strangely-vaporware DQIII 2DHD remake gets released. I'd be okay if they had to skip over VII, but VIII (3DS version) is a solid game although Yangus could use a buff with how strong Red and Morrie are.

30 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Since... why is X still Japan-only, for the Almighty's sake! Worse still, the offline version is also Japan only... for some reason. Well, other than it's meant to be a teaser to get you to try out the MMO, so there's some sense to not localize it... but still!

No wonder its DQXI altar was called "The Altar of the Undeciphered"!😀

Complete lack of faith that the West will be able to pay for its servers' upkeep?

I don't play MMOs (especially nothing needing a subscription), but I certainly would give DQX a try. The DQ identity ought to at least give it a distinct visual flair in the landscape of the genre.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why only mobile though?🤔 -I really don't want to have to get through VI using touch controls. SMT1 and FFV were enough. 

Gonna guess since mobile gaming is very popular in Japan.

Hopefully the situation improves when that strangely-vaporware DQIII 2DHD remake gets released. I'd be okay if they had to skip over VII, but VIII (3DS version) is a solid game although Yangus could use a buff with how strong Red and Morrie are.

Now you reminded me that, whenever it comes out, it'll likely to have an In Memoriam to Toriyama and Sugiyama. Both it and XII, I suppose.

No wonder its DQXI altar was called "The Altar of the Undeciphered"!😀

Complete lack of faith that the West will be able to pay for its servers' upkeep?

It's always been like that, sadly. Outside Japan, it's FF who has proven more popular of the two.

I don't play MMOs (especially nothing needing a subscription), but I certainly would give DQX a try. The DQ identity ought to at least give it a distinct visual flair the landscape of the genre.

Playing it fortunately doesn't seem to be too hard. Even US VPN's are allowed to access it... which only makes it more suspect it doesn't get an official release. And there's even a fan-made mod/program created that auto-translates for one's benefit.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yeah, the preservation of Tales is quite awful. Modern consoles and the preservation gold standard of Steam until corpos tank it 15 years from now, then we'll have an extraordinary crisis at hand have only the following.:

Not if you already own them like I do! Xd

Well, I decided to switch POV's still for Chapter 10. Felt it would be better this way. So close to 1K words...

---

Okay, time to climb Amberl Tower.

Edited by Acacia Sgt