• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I find it funny that I may have forgotten watching Finding Dory previously, bit of it's prominent surface focus on memory loss and it's own being kinda unnoteworthy in practice playing out.

The fact I'm unsure of this is laugh worthy, though I don't recall the climax at all so I'd bet not actually.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although, one of the others at an earlier stage in their life, was doing the baking business at home thanks to Californian laws now encouraging a "cottage food industry".

Interesting to hear that it's less of a thing than I expected in the US.

The family member I mentioned has a bakery on the property, no idea how often it's checked.

Rainy weather is 😔 on my mood. Dunno how much sitting outside actually helps me, but the prospect of not being able to do so is 📉. I'm watching pride parade coverage on TV, to have something on that can try throwing a buoy to my sinking mood.🏳️‍🌈

I've at least been nudged into looking for a new therapist. Easy to give up on looking again when the mind is doing okay, but when it plummets, the pressing desire returns. I sent off a few short inquiring emails. Hopefully, one lands me someone that works out better this time, if not, well then maybe the fault for failure is mine.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh no, by the time I took the screenshot, it was already petering out in the Middle East. It did affect the entirety of Egypt, Arabia, Levant, Anatolia, Persia, etc. And after the screenshot, it would continue east through Muscovy and into Siberia.

In the rule settings I set the plague to randomly spawn and also have its spread more or less randomized. That's why it somehow decided to spare Great Britain + Ireland (it's also hard to see, but the Balearic islands also avoided the plague), and I think it also poured over into India. And also why it appeared before 1000AD, if you noticed, heh.

I did not notice.😅 Fine by me though, history had too big a gap between the Plague of Justinian and the Black Death ignoring all the smaller yet still very deadly forgotten disease outbreaks.

16 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

indigenous robot

The artwork is called Future Ancestral Technologies: New Myth (2021) by Cannupa Hanska Luger (Mandan, Hidatsa, Arikara, Lakota), based in Glorieta, New Mexico. The above figure -so the magazine tells me- is part of a video installation, wherein it is a heroic "monster slayer", representing a future where humans are in a right relationship with each other and the environment. The monsters the figure and others like it slays are societal ills, among them colonialism and capitalism. The artist is optimistic about Native Americans' abilities to adapt to a changing world.

7 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I find it funny that I may have forgotten watching Finding Dory previously, bit of it's prominent surface focus on memory loss and it's own being kinda unnoteworthy in practice playing out.

A sequel to a Disney classic being difficult to make a good followup to? Not surprising. Movies be like that, unlike video games.

England snatching a last second goal as I'm there rooting for the underdog.

That's it, I shouldn't look at soccer again.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A sequel to a Disney classic being difficult to make a good followup to? Not surprising. Movies be like that, unlike video games.

I'd say it's one of those that takes a basic sequel idea, which tends to play weird for a movie made years before without a sequel in mind.

The fact the post credits scene set up for a film that could have been better doesn't help.

Speaking of Pixar and sequels, I should be using my cinema pass more.

Alright, won the Turnip Flurry! Good thing I could get almost all of the Golden Turnips first.

Gah, need a Quality Worn Cloth to craft the next armor, but didn't get a single drop. Need two as I intend to ship the other. Well, in the meantime I can craft other stuff before finally plunging in full to Rune Prana 2.

After 20 minutes, I have seen Wish should have been about Asha fomenting a revolution, formed from a core of desiring vengeance on the king for his rejection of her familiy's wishes and employ. It would end with the king dying as the city falls on top of him and the people of Rosas seeing their wishes fade away, teasing the ephemeral nature of society and the wishes they handed to a mad king who desired control, while also breaking the hearts of those who trusted him and seeing Asha as less hero and more saboteur.

Meanwhile, Georgia hype real? - Is what I said before the Spanish team levelled.

1 hour ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

Wraith while slogging through Frieren's First-Class Mage Exam Arc:

Wait, why are you even- I thought Anime = bad?

Edit: Retracted, kept on record for posterity.

20 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

PYjowwP.png

What an exciting game after England's snoozefest

Span V Georg, truly the fight of the centure

Edited by Dayni

I feel extremely drained.😖 It's all in my stupid mind, yet it's consuming me. This hopefully is the nadir, *checks depresso log*, because it has 5-6 days since it began. And how much lower can this go?

----

https://nintendoeverything.com/monolith-soft-interview-past-and-future/

Hirohide Sugiura, one of the founders of Monolith Soft, shared some of the more interesting comments. Sugiura feels that the company is still in its “genesis” stage and hopes the company can keep going far into the future – maybe even 500 years.

He said:

“These 25 years seemed long but felt short. Looking back, I have built up so many memories that it’s hard to pick ones out. There have been many twists and turns, but every time a problem comes up we have faced it head-on, and enduring them has led to what we are now.

The amount of staff we have has risen dramatically compared to when we were founded in 1999, and we now have three development studios, and have had a hand in many huge games. However, I do not believe we’ve had enough of the satisfaction that comes from success and achievement. This is definitely something Monolith Soft will pursue for as long as it exists, and perhaps may never be obtainable.

If Monolith Soft were to continue existing, then we are still currently in the ‘genesis’ stage. I hope our company’s history can keep going for 100, 200, or even 500 years.”

Lastly, when asked about future goals, Sugiura had this to say:

“Instead of being satisfied with the status quo, we keep aiming for higher quality.

As I mentioned before, as long as Monolith Soft exists, our drive to never be satisfied with the status quo and aim for higher quality will never change.

To that end, we are thinking about increasing efforts to lay the groundwork for an environment where new leaders can be born.

Also, we want to keep being a company that makes customers happy. For example, beyond the framework of just video games, we want to become a charismatic company, such as by expanding further into the realm of customer service.”

Planning for the future, on a scale befitting some of their villains.

Also, customer service????😲

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Meanwhile, Georgia hype real?

...This is all I can offer on the matter.:

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Wait, why are you even- I thought Anime = bad?

Just because 99.99% of the animes that are currently airing look boring as hell doesn’t mean that there won’t be an expectation to the rule. Sure it’s the first of the animes I actually watched in over half a decade and it has been good so far, but as the Emperor is my witness the pacing of the exam arc is horrible.

"When it comes to the universe, we're all shareholders,

Get that through your system

Solar!"

This is an actual line in a song.

The people saying Wish was AI written were wrong.

The thought I had this film was the most boring game of mad libs was wrong.

It seems like the death of creativity personified was on the writing staff. Like a spirit of tepidness was hired and just let loose here. Ancient, powerful and so mundane.

2 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

I don't think Georgia can get the win, but man did they surprise everyone

Again, top goalscorer was there in the group stages.

I am unsurprised they're putting it up to Spain at least.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The amount of staff we have has risen dramatically compared to when we were founded in 1999, and we now have three development studios, and have had a hand in many huge games.

Wait, three studios? That's news to me.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Also, we want to keep being a company that makes customers happy. For example, beyond the framework of just video games, we want to become a charismatic company, such as by expanding further into the realm of customer service.”

Planning for the future, on a scale befitting some of their villains.

Also, customer service????😲

This is a statement I cannot figure out. What is their aim there?

Inb4 Monolithsoft announce a GaaS Gacha

Just now, Sidereal Wraith said:

Just because 99.99% of the animes that are currently airing look boring as hell doesn’t mean that there won’t be an expectation to the rule. Sure it’s the first of the animes I actually watched in over half a decade and it has been good so far, but as the Emperor is my witness the pacing of the exam arc is horrible.

Oh, so you actually liked it before then? I retract my previous statement.

Is it merely about slow pace? Or is something else making it more enmired?

24 minutes ago, Dayni said:

After 20 minutes, I have seen Wish should have been about Asha fomenting a revolution, formed from a core of desiring vengeance on the king for his rejection of her familiy's wishes and employ. It would end with the king dying as the city falls on top of him and the people of Rosas seeing their wishes fade away, teasing the ephemeral nature of society and the wishes they handed to a mad king who desired control, while also breaking the hearts of those who trusted him and seeing Asha as less hero and more saboteur.

I think this is the first time I see someone defending Asha. Or at least a take like this.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Is it merely about slow pace? Or is something else making it more enmired?

It’s the pacing and the fact that the anime has just introduced ten new characters in this arc while the previous episodes have introduced new characters gradually and slowly over the course of many episodes. I just don’t think the writing is strong enough to carry all these new faces and flesh them out to the point that I’ll care about any of them. 

12 minutes ago, Dayni said:

This is a statement I cannot figure out. What is their aim there?

I can only picture a bunch of Nopon in cubicles answering phones.

Actually, no, I paused just before more actual bad lines came through. This particular song is so bad in it's lyrics and sung..... not inspiringly that's for sure.

Disney had a terrible 2023 and it's their own fault.

The fact that this is Disney is why this story sounding like it might have her taking the wishes will not make her a villain and not do so either, right?

Also, Spain, you're breaking my heart here.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

I think this is the first time I see someone defending Asha.

I would say this is not a defence of Asha, I want her to be a villain in this case. A villain protag where we see why she takes this road that leads to her country's ruin.

Keep in mind, this is me reacting as I go through this.... One would argue why I'm doing this to myself. I mean, curiosity combined with kinda not being able to head off somewhere while minding two dogs.

Just now, Sidereal Wraith said:

It’s the pacing and the fact that the anime has just introduced ten new characters in this arc while the previous episodes have introduced new characters gradually and slowly over the course of many episodes. I just don’t think the writing is strong enough to carry all these new faces and flesh them out to the point that I’ll care about any of them. 

Okay, so part of it is there being a lot of new balls being juggled, okay.

And will all of them even matter?

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

I can only picture a bunch of Nopon in cubicles answering phones.

Customer shouting about the stupidest stuff

"Riki leave that one for Dunban!"

Customer on hold

10 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Actually, no, I paused just before more actual bad lines came through. This particular song is so bad in it's lyrics and sung..... not inspiringly that's for sure.

Disney had a terrible 2023 and it's their own fault.

The fact that this is Disney is why this story sounding like it might have her taking the wishes will not make her a villain and not do so either, right?

And to think it was meant to be their 100th anniversary project.

Also, Spain, you're breaking my heart here.

Spain right now:

e5VDUOQ.png

Something about seeds in a football field...

I would say this is not a defence of Asha, I want her to be a villain in this case. A villain protag where we see why she takes this road that leads to her country's ruin.

Keep in mind, this is me reacting as I go through this.... One would argue why I'm doing this to myself. I mean, curiosity combined with kinda not being able to head off somewhere while minding two dogs.

Okay, might've misinterpreted, yes.

Can I suggest you to play a SRW game instead?

Customer shouting about the stupidest stuff

"Riki leave that one for Dunban!"

Customer on hold

Just wait when Chairman Bana gets appointed...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

24 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Okay, so part of it is there being a lot of new balls being juggled, okay.

And will all of them even matter?

Yes, because the anime has to devote screen time to establishing and developing these new characters which it has been trying to do. The whole point of this is obviously to get the audience to understand and hopefully get interested in these news faces which the show is really struggling with due to there being to many of them.

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

I'm reading The Lord of the Rings and I'm a bit surprised that the Balrog is around for less than two pages. It kind of shows up while the gang is in Moria, starts a debate on if it has wings (which it does), and then falls off a cliff with Gandalf.

On 6/28/2024 at 7:13 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Both of which sound terrible, because they sound like products, not a person. If it was Rare who threw the names out there, it's even worse since being British, they more than Nintendo would readily see how unhuman it sounds in English.

They sound very 90s, but they were only suggestions and I doubt they were seriously considered. "Titchy Kong" was another suggestion.

On 6/29/2024 at 2:24 AM, Dayni said:

There were people who all their lives knew Pluto as a planet, dying before it lost that status.

interesting is all.

There were people who all their lives knew Ceres as a planet too, among others.

Pollock1.jpg

Though if you ask me, defining a planet as anything more than "a natural round thing revolving around the Sun" is a bit of an over-complication.

On 6/29/2024 at 2:24 AM, Dayni said:

RIP Engineer driving a car with three sentries on it.

You'll have to blame my subconscious for not coming up with it. There should definitely be a bumper car kart though.

20 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Are you talking about "watch out world, here I are"?

Wish is more... bland than bad, which might be less preferable than being entertainingly bad depending on your point of view.

Finally, I upgraded my armor!

Seems I only have a headgear left to craft before I can finally move on. Will do that next time.

Got through the rest of the film, just going to abbreviate what I lost when the laptop crashed:

This is the Thanks I Get is the first villain song in over a decade, worst in that time by default and contender if not winner overall. The other songs do not get better, let me tell you. Usually I fall for the twang of an acoustic guitar soloing a theme quietly, so this failing that on When You Wish Upon a Star is on them. Knowing What I Know Now is awful, might just pip I'm A Star and it's terrible lyrics for worst here though. The story is pretty dang bland overall, but I did fall for the decoy bit because I am stupid. Disney stealing the Star Rod off Kirby, shame. Also the offbrand Luma is certainly not much of a character, which it needed much more than the bottom rung mascot animal in Valentino.

Asha also isn't much good as protag, the queen's face turn is certainly at speed but gosh Magnifico. You could actually write a whole piece on his weird bellyflop into villainy, the speedrun of figuring out what he can do with the wishes and how the cover of him as a benevolent sorcerer is shattered poorly because they have to justify him as villain because Asha wanted to get her family's wishes (because she has 17 and hadn't yet given hers, so her selfishness has to be tied to other's desires. Can we talk about never seeing her mom's wish?). With the minor cast a wash, Wish is lacking in the story, characters and music. The animation is at least better, but still has issues as the first film Disney does like this (I feel they're pretty far along with humans, but the animals and others could do with some work). Also, the casting's fine but doesn't really get to dimly glow on this script.

So, overall, Wish, do not recommend unless you're looking to do a group hatewatch I guess? A lesson? Well, make it matter more than it should from this.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And to think it was meant to be their 100th anniversary project.

Disney as a whole seemed to have a faceplant for their 100th year

e5VDUOQ.png

Something about seeds in a football field...

Somehow he'd activate a dragon vein to reverse the growth of the pitch, only to salt it.

Can I suggest you to play a SRW game instead?

Any SRW games able to be played faster than 90 minutes?

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Though if you ask me, defining a planet as anything more than "a natural round thing revolving around the Sun" is a bit of an over-complication.

It's probably to avoid making an asteroid the size of a pebble count as a planet, but the size threshold seems cruel at times.

(And unfortunate for those in the past to realise Ceres was on orbits within orbits within orbits (probably) within orbits)

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Are you talking about "watch out world, here I are"?

It was the bit right after the bit I quoted, but that's bad too.

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

You'll have to blame my subconscious for not coming up with it. There should definitely be a bumper car kart though.

The real god of that DLC is Football Manager