Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Nah, that's still pretentiousness.

Racist would be arguing that the Japanese are genetically superior when it comes to voice acting, which I have seen one person unironically claim. Thought it was a troll at first but he kept going, claiming that anything that has voice acting ever that is not Japanese dubbed is inferior.

Okay well sub purists don’t deserve rights anyway. Even so point taken

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Misinterpreting someone's statements to fit your own pre-conceived narrative is an incredibly closed-minded way of approaching a discussion.

Yeah it is, you’re absolutely right.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Even if it wasn’t, preferring western literature to anime is absolutely not racist because it has absolutely nothing to do with race.

Yeah that definitely is true but saying that the whole of Japanese animation is worse than the whole of western literature simply because you like it more is only a little ethnocentric

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, Benice said:

To be fair, they also sued him for Berwick saga, which is just....Huh? 

Ironically, despite them changing TRS lord's hair color to avoid similarities to FE, they actually made him look like another FE lord. Leif.

Got a treadmill, a little exercise ought to help with my boredom. Now, in which room where to assemble it?

Also, I've still been slowly crawling through FoMT. One of the pastiche "TV shows" that exist for the sake of most petty entertainment in the game had an episode which copied the entire infamous opening dialogue of Symphony of the Night, I was not expecting the writing to go there. Also, two of the three Back to Nature NPCs who didn't return in FoMT are mentioned by other villagers, the third is probably mentioned by someone as well.

It ain't gonna be a lot, but the first major snowfall of the season where I am has arrived.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

I love this version of the FE main theme.

When I went about doing a taste test of the various renditions of the Fire Emblem Theme, I did rank this one highly. I think Genealogy's outdid it for me, but this one isn't as slow to start and isn't as "rich", it sounds lighter which can be a good thing depending on the person and their mood. TMS's pre-final battle rendition ironically and unironically ranks quite well too.

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Which does happen, authors can also get pretentious and try to sue other people if it looks like someone did something similar. See the time Universal Studios sued Nintendo because they argued the premise of Donkey Kong the arcade game was plagiarizing King Kong.....even though Universal was not the original creator.

And for a ridiculous naming case from this year, Monster Energy forced Ubisoft to rename "Gods and Monsters" Immortals: Fenyx Uprising, because "monster" is sooooooooooo unique as a word.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Tbf, what Kaga lost the lawsuit on was more of the name. There were two lawsuits, one of which aruged that "Emblem Saga" would confuse people who were trying to buy Fire Emblem. 

I think he may have considered including Xane in TRS and possibly set it in the same world as Archanea and the other two continents that existed at that point in FE. Kaga was more than pushing the limits.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

751539947273715823.png?v=1

:rennesip:

Thank you

1 minute ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

Good day and good night!

Good day/night!

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So, when do we expect Morgan Robertsome's Estate sues James Cameron because his Titanic film is too similar to Robertsome's The Wreck of the Titan.

Or sue the White Star Line for making the ship and had the gall to have it sink, like Robertsome's Titan.

Okay but now we’re taking his original point too far, the original comparison was between two works that had more similarity than just two general events.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Okay but now we’re taking his original point too far, the original comparison was between two works that had more similarity than just two general events.

It was just a joke. Frivolous Lawsuits are things that exist.

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Ironically, despite them changing TRS lord's hair color to avoid similarities to FE, they actually made him look like another FE lord. Leif.

Yup. I can't believe they wanted to give Runan blue hair...but then made him Leif 2.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Kaga was more than pushing the limits.

Agreed. I feel like TearRing was Kaga being salty.

Edited by Benice

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah but just because you legally can doesn't always mean you should.

Easy example, how Nintendo treats fan games. Nintendo is 100% in their rights to sue and issue DMCAs but that doesn't mean they aren't assholes for doing so.

Tbf, what Kaga lost the lawsuit on was more of the name. There were two lawsuits, one of which aruged that "Emblem Saga" would confuse people who were trying to buy Fire Emblem. 

Btw, if you haven't read about it, a similar thing happened with Universal vs Nintendo where the former argued that Donkey Kong would confuse people with King Kong.

So you’d be perfectly happy as an IP creator having your work plagiarized, having a the plagiarists possibly making lots of money without paying a cent to you and claiming all the credit for the IP without once stating it wasn’t original even theirs to begin with?

Just now, Sooks said:

Good day/night!

I was just quoting Renne.

Though actually I will leave in a bit.

2 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Alright I think I can work with that.

Alright, that would be cool.

Though I would like to favor you (or who else would like to join) that I wouldn't like to run this thread because otherwise my partner might get irritated when he sees that I'm doing another Super Thracia run because the former Super Thracia LP isn't dead officially.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

A collaborative LP sounds like fun. But too bad not something I could join in, not with the prospect in mind.

Sorry.

My range of games for co-op LPs is a bit poor.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Though actually, Robertsome's Titan and the Titanic's similarities are too uncanny. People thought he was clairvoyant.

Though as a note, Wreck of the Titan's John Rowland and James Cameron's Jack Dawson do seem to have some resemblances. Wreck of the Titan also includes a love story. Still a tragic. Rowland lives, but his girl isn't able to escape from her mother's grasp. Tsk, how bittersweet...

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

So you’d be perfectly happy as an IP creator having your work plagiarized, having a the plagiarists possibly making lots of money without paying a cent to you and claiming all the credit for the IP without once stating it wasn’t original even theirs to begin with?

I mean if we wanna go that route then the entirety of both Disney and star wars is in peril. You could even say that Code geass is a rip off of Death note because it follows a vaguely similar premise where a high schooler finds himself with supernatural powers that he uses to change the world complete with a god complex. 

Edited by Ottservia

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It was just a joke. Frivolous Lawsuits are things that exist.

Oh, oops.

...haha, yeah, my bad.

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I mean if we wanna go that route then the entirety of both Disney and star wars is in peril. 

Way to deflect an argument point. What happened to “honest” and “fair” discussion?

Edited by Sooks

Speaking of lawsuits and copyright infringement and whatever

image.jpg

I don't remember if this particular one got sued but the studio behind these "mockbusters" has several times. Cause like

King_of_the_Lost_World.jpg

"The epic story that inspired King Kong and Jurassic Park" lmaoooo.

They get away with it by claiming it's a parody but c'mon.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And for a ridiculous naming case from this year, Monster Energy forced Ubisoft to rename "Gods and Monsters" Immortals: Fenyx Uprising, because "monster" is sooooooooooo unique as a word.

So that's why they renamed it. What the fuck?

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think he may have considered including Xane in TRS and possibly set it in the same world as Archanea and the other two continents that existed at that point in FE. Kaga was more than pushing the limits.

Oh yeah, TRS was originally supposed to be a return to Archanea. Then Kaga left, taking the game with him. Well, I think he left before development started but you get the point.

I think he figured since he was the creator of Fire Emblem, he could get away with it but the courts somewhat disagreed.

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

It really, really depends on the actual circumstances tbh. It'll have to be a clear cut case of plagiarism. A very clear cut case.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Way to deflect an argument point. What happened to “honest” and “fair” discussion?

You don’t know Disney, do you? Also it has been provably documented that star wars directly rips scenes from other famous fantasy and space novels. So yeah I’m being mostly fair

6 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

You don’t know Disney, do you? Also it has been provably documented that star wars directly rips scenes from other famous fantasy and space novels. So yeah I’m being mostly fair

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m saying you’re taking Wraith’s pony and talking about someone else doing it because...?

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m saying you’re taking Wraith’s pony and talking about someone else doing it because...?

Because those are direct examples of what he’s referring to

28 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I mean if we wanna go that route then the entirety of both Disney and star wars is in peril. You could even say that Code geass is a rip off of Death note because it follows a vaguely similar premise where a high schooler finds himself with supernatural powers that he uses to change the world complete with a god complex. 

Sure they’re similar in premise but both are different enough to not be easily confused with one another and don’t rip off each other’s plot or core concepts (the death note for Light and Geass for Lelouch) beat for beat.

Edited by Wraith

12 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Because those are direct examples of what he’s referring to

I would disagree but even if you see them as such, I don’t understand how that helps your argument.

Edited by Sooks

10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Sure they’re similar in premise but both are different enough to not be easily confused with one another and don’t rip off each other’s plot or core concepts (the death note for Light and Geass for Lelouch) beat for beat.

*CoughstarwarsCough*

6 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

*CoughstarwarsCough*

Star Wars did take inspiration from spaghetti westerns and Kurosawa films, but it didn’t directly plagiarize them and they’re not going to be easily mistaken for each other anytime soon.

Edited by Wraith

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

but it didn’t directly plagiarize them and they’re not going to be easily mistaken for each other anytime soon.

And nobody's really gonna mistake Death Note with the short story from 1950 either even if they are similar so I don't see the point.

10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Star Wars did take inspiration from spaghetti westerns and Kurosawa films, but it didn’t directly plagiarize them and they’re not going to be easily mistaken for each other anytime soon.

Also who’s to say that death note plagerized that story. It could just be mere coincidence. You aren’t Tsugumi Ohba nor do you know him. You don’t know if he’s even read it or that he is able to read it cause for all you know the story was never translated to Japanese audiences. Could he have read it? That’s a possibility but it’s also just as likely that it could be just mere coincidence.

Edited by Ottservia