• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

For most fog of war maps, I honestly never minded it just because the enemies weren’t particularly strong or placed difficulty. That doesn’t mean I enjoyed it, though.

28 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

FE has yet to do FoW well, honestly. It'd be better if it were removed entirely. Blinding the player is never a fair mechanic unless the enemy is affected by the same mechanic as well.

I am baffled that FE hasn't done FoW good for two reasons: One, Advance Wars of the GBA era even managed to do FoW better, even though it wasn't perfect, and two: Well, if Berwick saga could do it with a likely not massive budget...Why can't FE, and why haven't they? Surely they have the technology to make enemies blind in FoW....

FoW is an inherently flawed mechanic, just like ambush spawns. It's better to remove it completely, tbh. No game can do it well, really. Unless they blind both the player and enemy, that is. And even then, it's pointless, really. Why blind both sides if it ultimately has the same effect? There's no real disadvantage to that.

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

FoW is an inherently flawed mechanic, just like ambush spawns. It's better to remove it completely, tbh. No game can do it well, really. Unless they blind both the player and enemy, that is. And even then, it's pointless, really. Why blind both sides if it ultimately has the same effect? There's no real disadvantage to that.

I mean if both sides are blind, would enemies move differently?

Berwick Saga used FoW to great effect because of the way it worked-The game tells you when your units are hidden from the enemies and enhances maps rather than just making it artificially more difficult. 

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I mean if both sides are blind, would enemies move differently?

At least with Berwick Saga, for the most part, it was really cool-They had lighthouses, (or sometthing similar) that gave you a large range of vision so that eneies couldn't see you, so those importantspots changed the way the maps played.

Edited by Benice

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Blinding both sides can add strategy. You can get an upper hand if you destroy your enemy's high Vision units and use unit-hiding terrain more effectively. I did a FoW Days of Ruin map in the past week wherein I used woods a lot to conceal my units from the AI and hit them from the shadows. The most egregiously exploitive case of it was when I placed a fragile Artillery on a woods right on the frontline, but the AI never targeted that space with a Flare (which they still constantly used on me to alright effect elsewhere), and because it was right on the frontline, they dared not move a unit next to that particular space because it mean exposing themselves to death by my other units.

And for player vs. player, FoW can be good, but FE doesn't have good PvP. 

28 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Some scans from the Nintendo Dream mag of RF5. For those interested.

Seems to be mostly stuff we already knew but it's neat regardless.

bdb96a5_1.jpg

99% sure this is gonna be the house the protagonist lives in. It was the first building they showed off in the reveal teaser from last year.

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

It's flawed in the context of Fire Emblem although Berwick does show it can work.

But in stuff like Valkyria Chronicles, every map is essentially FoW and it's balanced around that.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

bdb96a5_1.jpg

99% sure this is gonna be the house the protagonist lives in. It was the first building they showed off in the reveal teaser from last year.

The size and the bulletin board makes me think it's more like Seed's HQ. Specially when you consider the other pictures this one's next to.

Could still be where the protagonist lives, however. All things considered.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's flawed in the context of Fire Emblem although Berwick does show it can work.

But the enemies hardly advance when a chapter is FoW. They wait for you, rendering that mechanic kinda pointless.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The size and the bulletin board makes me think it's more like Seed's HQ. Specially when you consider the other pictures this one's next to.

Could still be where the protagonist lives, however. All things considered.

Oh yeah, chances are it's not the protagonist's exclusively. RF4 had you living in a castle with several others, after all.

Given that the billboard is right next to it, and (in RF4's case anyway), your house was always right next to it, I can see it being the residence. Maybe you can buy your own actual house later down the line (preferably not in the middle of nowhere).

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

But the enemies hardly advance when a chapter is FoW. They wait for you, rendering that mechanic kinda pointless.

It's still better than the enemy just not being affected by it at least. I only played one FoW map in Berwick and it wasn't immediately awful like FoW usually is.

Actually, if FE wanted to include a multiplayer mode with FoW, I'd think a semi-Phoenix Mode would be of use. After a unit is KO'ed, it becomes unusable for a few turns, and perhaps with revival resource cost, and when brought back to life, it can only be done at certain points on the battlefield. However, would you be able to train up enough units on a standard playthrough that you'd be to survive your opponent's team if you lacked one or two allies for a few turns?

Speaking of Valkyria Chronicles, this semi-Phoenix would be very readily adaptable to VC, and all characters of a class training as one means you'd have no shortage of usable allies. I don't know if 2 or 3 had a multiplayer, but as minor side entertainment, it could be fun for the franchise to include in the next game.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Actually, if FE wanted to include a multiplayer mode with FoW, I'd think a semi-Phoenix Mode would be of use. After a unit is KO'ed, it becomes unusable for a few turns, and perhaps with revival resource cost, and when brought back to life, it can only be done at certain points on the battlefield. However, would you be able to train up enough units on a standard playthrough that you'd be to survive your opponent's team if you lacked one or two allies for a few turns?

It would add more strategy if these revival points were shared and you had to capture/protect them/yours.

But that might just make it impossible come back from losing... hmmm...

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's still better than the enemy just not being affected by it at least. I only played one FoW map in Berwick and it wasn't immediately awful like FoW usually is.

I cant disagree with that, but it could be tweaked a bit more, imo.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Breaking news: Takehito Koyasu is set to reprise his role as Dio Brando in Spider-Man 3.

I have questions.

Dio. In Spiderman 3?