• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

I’ve been out of in-person school for so long that I forgot the pledge of allegiance. Wow...

Although, I always did have trouble remembering it without saying it in front of the flag. It’s basically muscle memory.

This is one of those things about good ol' 'Murica that make me raise an eyebrow and go "but why, though?"

No offense to you or to anyone in particular, but I can't say I've ever cared too much for American ultranationalism. Especially when you consider the USA's glaring flaws as a country.

36 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Pride in something you don't achieve yourself is dumb

National pride is one of the dumbest things in humanity's history

I agree with this. I don't hate my country or anything, but I've never understood why I should pretend that this particular piece of soil is somehow so much more amazing than the rest just because I happened to be born in it, or why I should excuse all of its flaws and misdeeds for the same reason.

16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

How do I get the motivation to finish fe1...

Oh look, it's me when I was playing FE9.

My answer is, if you're not enjoying it, don't. There's no need to force yourself to play something you don't have fun with. That's what games are for, after all, isn't it?

And if you want what I would call a superior take on the same game, get yourself some Shadow Dragon! I know, graphics bad, but the game's great. Quite the underrated FE title, in my humble opinion.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This is one of those things about good ol' 'Murica that make me raise an eyebrow and go "but why, though?"

No offense to you or to anyone in particular, but I can't say I've ever cared too much for American ultranationalism. Especially when you consider the USA's glaring flaws as a country.

I’m gonna be completely honest, I... never questioned it until the little chat today. It was just one of those things we did, and I barely even thought about what the words meant. When everyone around you is doing something since age 5 and you are made to do the same thing from then on, that environment doesn’t exactly create deep thinking about it. I really had never given it much thought...

I agree with this. I don't hate my country or anything, but I've never understood why I should pretend that this particular piece of soil is somehow so much more amazing than the rest just because I happened to be born in it, or why I should excuse all of its flaws and misdeeds for the same reason.

*insert ramblings about democracy, beacons of hope, freedom, and being a guide for the rest of the world*

Oh look, it's me when I was playing FE9.

My answer is, if you're not enjoying it, don't. There's no need to force yourself to play something you don't have fun with. That's what games are for, after all, isn't it?

And if you want what I would call a superior take on the same game, get yourself some Shadow Dragon! I know, graphics bad, but the game's great. Quite the underrated FE title, in my humble opinion.

I am shocked you didn’t recommend fe12.

But I will finish fe1! Merely for the sake of crossing that one off the list.

So does Shadow Dragon do QoL? Fe1 isn’t standout bad gameplay wise, it’s just everything is so slow, QoL is nonexistent, and some design choices were interesting, like why do 10 move promoted fliers need to be right within range of where we start in chapter 16... it just ends up making fe1 sort of a slog eventually, even if I did have fun with it initially.

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So does Shadow Dragon do QoL?

Yes but keep in mind that Shadow Dragon is still too faithful. Any problems you had with FE1 might still be present in Shadow Dragon.

Shadow Dragon also had the Weapon Triangle, which sucks because enemy axe users stop existing after a certain point.

FE3 Book 1 is still the ideal way to play this game imo.

Just now, Armagon said:

Yes but keep in mind that Shadow Dragon is still too faithful. Any problems you had with FE1 might still be present in Shadow Dragon.

I would have no trouble finishing the game if everything didn’t take 5 years.

Just now, Sooks said:

I would have no trouble finishing the game if everything didn’t take 5 years.

That might still happen externally if you're emulating. DS emulators suck more than my math skills, so getting slowdown, depending on your PC, is possible.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I would agree.

I have been converted to the FE3 cult. What can I say?

Me when I successfully convince people that FE3 is better than it's remakes

IMG_20200726_142249.jpg

23 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I’m gonna be completely honest, I... never questioned it until the little chat today. It was just one of those things we did, and I barely even thought about what the words meant. When everyone around you is doing something since age 5 and you are made to do the same thing from then on, that environment doesn’t exactly create deep thinking about it. I really had never given it much thought...

I imagine that's exactly the point of the pledge thing. Making it seem normal.

*insert ramblings about democracy, beacons of hope, freedom, and being a guide for the rest of the world*

A guide to having a lot of covid cases

I am shocked you didn’t recommend fe12.

That comes after you play SD. Let's not rush things. Otherwise I'd just tell you to play Berwick Saga. Which I do. Play Berwick Saga. Go on, get to it.

But I will finish fe1! Merely for the sake of crossing that one off the list.

So does Shadow Dragon do QoL? Fe1 isn’t standout bad gameplay wise, it’s just everything is so slow, QoL is nonexistent, and some design choices were interesting, like why do 10 move promoted fliers need to be right within range of where we start in chapter 16... it just ends up making fe1 sort of a slog eventually, even if I did have fun with it initially.

Shadow Dragon doesn't just do QoL, it's where 90% of the QoL features from modern FEs made their debut. For a couple of examples: Skipping enemy phases? It was SD. Skipping battles by pressing start? SD as well.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

3 Book 1 is still the ideal way to play this game imo.

I'd say it depends. If you want a game that requires you to think, you might want to go for FE11.

...okay, I'm sorry, that sounded condescending as fuck. I apologize. But I tried to play FE3 book 1 and it was so mindnumbingly easy that I ended up quitting out of sheer boredom. I know, I know, I say that about a lot of FEs. I'm just too smart for FE, okay? Disregard all evidence to the contrary available in my LPs, in this thread, in other threads, etc.

Also, FE3 is slightly better than 1 when it comes to QoL. Still terrible.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

26 minutes ago, Sooks said:

indoctrination almost sucessful.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I imagine that's exactly the point of the pledge thing. Making it seem normal.

yup.

We have seen it all through human history.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm just too smart for FE, okay?

Time to play 5D Chess with Multiverse Time Travel

Yes, it's a real thing

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Disregard all evidence to the contrary available in my LPs, in this thread, in other threads, etc.

Just pretend that you do it for the content

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But I tried to play FE3 book 1 and it was so mindnumbingly easy that I ended up quitting out of sheer boredom.

I mean, the Archanea games in general don't really offer much in the way of challenge. There's a reason why the best one, FE3, is still only a B-tier Fire Emblem game imo (unless SoV is counted as Archanea, in which case it's S-tier). And yes, I know about FE11 and 12's higher difficulties but I've already gone on record saying that I think that a majority of the higher difficulties in Fire Emblem are not good.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

indoctrination almost sucessful.

Well, it kinda backfired since I wasn’t stupid enough to think that just because the teachers told me to recite the pledge meant that everything it said had to be true, since I did have a grasp on opinions.

If we gonna talk about ''base'' difficulty (without taking higher difficulties into consideration) i think the one that takes the cake here is definetly Berwick. Well it only has 1 difficulty, but i think you get what i mean xD

Although FE5, Conquest normal (and if you count RD normal (jp hard) as base difficulty) are cool as well in that regard.

Edited by Shrimperor

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, the Archanea games in general don't really offer much in the way of challenge. There's a reason why the best one, FE3, is still only a B-tier Fire Emblem game imo (unless SoV is counted as Archanea, in which case it's S-tier). And yes, I know about FE11 and 12's higher difficulties but I've already gone on record saying that I think that a majority of the higher difficulties in Fire Emblem are not good.

That's fair enough. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. One thing I would say is that FE3 and FE11 play differently enough that you can't really call one or the other the "definitive" way to play FE1. Both are better than 1, but they're not mutually exclusive, I would say.

Unless we're talking story. SD is not NMotE - it is the best telling of Marth's story, by a really long shot, and the other versions feel like SD lite in retrospect.

14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

>seeks motivation to finish a game

>gets recommendations for other games to play instead

What did you expect from this thread? Half of us spend our posts pestering people to play the games we like.

13 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Well, it kinda backfired since I wasn’t stupid enough to think that just because the teachers told me to recite the pledge meant that everything it said had to be true, since I did have a grasp on opinions.

Good for you. I looked up the pledge (I knew it existed, of course, but I never saw it happen), and I have to say... I don't use the word "cringe" often, but the video I found of a kid in a waistcoat with his hand on his chest spewing propaganda'ish words in front of the American flag made me cringe. Really hard. Didn't help that the poor lad seemed to barely know how to speak.

EDIT: Oh God I just went back to it and the video was only 37 seconds long. I couldn't sit through 37 seconds. Hahahahah! Ahh, I don't know if that says more about the US or about me...

10 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

If we gonna talk about ''base'' difficulty (without taking higher difficulties into consideration) i think the one that takes the cake here is definetly Berwick. Well it only has 1 difficulty, but i think you get what i mean xD

Although FE5, Conquest normal (and if you count RD normal (jp hard) as base difficulty) are cool as well in that regard.

You know, I really need to get Citra working and see if I give Conquest a try at last. Perhaps it'll be the FE to triumph 12... Though I think it's more likely Camilla alone will keep it from achieving such status.

Edited by Saint Rubenio