Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, Super Mario 64 had a wonderful little remake on the DS. Nobody seems to remember that one. Only flaws that one had were graphics (because DS) and controls (because DS), and both would've been handily solved by a Switch remaster. But that was too much too ask from a multimillionaire, multinational corporation, I suppose.

Well, yeah, they killed the sequence breaks like crazy, which put the speedrunners in a tizzy.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, Super Mario 64 had a wonderful little remake on the DS. Nobody seems to remember that one. Only flaws that one had were graphics (because DS) and controls (because DS), and both would've been handily solved by a Switch remaster. But that was too much too ask from a multimillionaire, multinational corporation, I suppose.

Someone already mentioned the sequence breaks.

I don't disagree that the price was not right (Maybe both Galaxies would have been enough), but that stuff was definitely part of the appeal for the fans of the original.

There's also the question of what would be done to get it working off the one screen, I assume nothing major because I doubt the second screen was essential (I have a copy of it. It crashes when I get a 1-up. I have next to no experience.)

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Well, yeah, they killed the sequence breaks like crazy, which put the speedrunners in a tizzy.

At least the DS version compensated for the BLJlessness (now that's a nice-looking word) with loads of brand new content. The 3D All Stars version killed speedrunning and gave absolutely nothing in return. If you're a speedrunner it's outright worse to play that version than just emulating. It's hilarious.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Actually, it'd probably hurt a lot.

Killing Esteban would only lessen the hurt from Scorpion's Sting.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That is true. I haven't really thought about it.

Of course, this is assuming it developed into a romance. We can assume based on little bits of dialogue from both X and her non-canon appearance in 2 but it's still not enough information to go off on. Unless I missed something in X.

You're right, the Torna OTP you have said is arguably not romantic. It could be a very strong friendship, which in itself would be entertaining as it'd, leave Elma totally uninvolved in romance by end of X2. Not every story needs a central love story.

This is just a guess but it seems like they might've taken that general concept and given it to Murderess. Granted, Murderess' circumstances are very different but you get what I mean.

Considering "Reina" sounds too generic to me, I like your guess that they turned it upside down and made the rich girl into a poor girl with a ravenous desire to attain wealth again at any cost. Writing issues on her final Affinity Mission aside, I do like Murderess.

Tbf tho, the problems with Disc 2 of Xenogears was a result of Square Enix interference. Which hey, given all the roadblocks the dev team encountered, they did very well.

Very true. XC1's issues weren't imposed from the outside like XG's blatantly were.

I remember reading that XC1 ran space limitations, the Japanese version of the game being printed on a cheaper single-layer disc, and the game in its final state already occupying most of that storage capacity (dual-layered discs were available but used only Europe and US for XC1). However, I'm not entirely sure how accurate that assertion is, as it was stated in relation to the -hitherto DE unused- Bionis's Shoulder, which Monolith later claimed they didn't scrap, because they never intended to seriously use it in the first place IIRC.

Although, besides unlocking the door on the ether cylinder building for the thingamabob behind it, how exactly would you straighten out the endgame of XC1?

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, Xenoblade X can just get a straight port tbh. Game came out in 2015. The only thing they can really change right now is just add some QoL.

And they'd need to relocate FrontierNav, though TMS proved you can dispatch with the GamePad screen.

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

That, and an option to kill tobias.

I know the NPC you're talking about. All the dude needed to do was explain himself upfront, instead of being so aggressive about why he didn't want anyone infringing on his FrontierNav turf.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

SM64DS was also bad, because Luigi broke the platforming challenge a lot of the time.

But, I'm thinking you would have been fine if Luigi could backward somersault from the castle entrance to Bowser in the Sky and promptly punch him into the gaping mouth of the giant Cheep Cheep.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Just now, Dayni said:

Someone already mentioned the sequence breaks.

I don't disagree that the price was not right (Maybe both Galaxies would have been enough), but that stuff was definitely part of the appeal for the fans of the original.

You do know that the 3D All Stars version of Super Mario 64 doesn't have the sequence breaks, right? Even considering the sequence breaks, the 3D All Stars version is still worthless.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

There's also the question of what would be done to get it working off the one screen, I assume nothing major because I doubt the second screen was essential (I have a copy of it. It crashes when I get a 1-up. I have next to no experience.)

If I recall correctly, the touch screen only had a map (not really all that vital) and the option to use it to control the character (unnecessary with an actual joystick). Soooo yeah.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

At least the DS version compensated for the BLJlessness (now that's a nice-looking word) with loads of brand new content. The 3D All Stars version killed speedrunning and gave absolutely nothing in return. If you're a speedrunner it's outright worse to play that version than just emulating. It's hilarious.

I suppose that's fair, but they also took a ton of options away by forcing you to play as a specific character for some stars.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I know the NPC you're talking about. All the dude needed to do was explain himself upfront, instead of being so aggressive about why he didn't want anyone infringing on his FrontierNav turf.

He's just generally an eyesore after putting you through hell the first time you do his quests.

8 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Better load times, please! 

Load times are fine if you have the data packs.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

mean, Super Mario 64 had a wonderful little remake on the DS. Nobody seems to remember that one.

64 DS is better than the original, I will die on that hill.

8 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The 3D All Stars version killed speedrunning and gave absolutely nothing in return.

Hot take, but I'm glad the sequence breaks got taken out. "Oh no, I can't speedrun the game as fast" except Mario 64 speedruns are basically just skipping the entire game. There's a difference between the occasional sequence break and just skipping literally everything.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And they'd need to relocate FrontierNav, though TMS proved you can dispatch with the GamePad screen.

Heck, Xenoblade X is playable on Gamepad only so there you go.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

SM64DS was also bad, because Luigi broke the platforming challenge a lot of the time.

Ah, yes... My weakness. SM64DS Luigi. My elitist brain wants to bench Luigi because he's OP, but my heart loves the guy, so I use him all the time when I play that game. Though I try not to abuse the somersault, at least.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But, I'm thinking you would have been fine if Luigi could backward somersault from the castle entrance to Bowser in the Sky and promptly punch him into the gaping mouth of the giant Cheep Cheep.

...Not gonna lie, that sounds like a great sight to behold.

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I suppose that's fair, but they also took a ton of options away by forcing you to play as a specific character for some stars.

Fair enough. The remake was not without its issues. Still, even if you consider "OG 64 > 64 DS", there's just no excuse for the 3D All Stars's version. Or 3D All Stars in general, for that matter. I know they're great games, but really? 60 bucks for three ROMs and a couple emulators on a cartridge? The game select menu probably took them more time to develop...

Just now, Armagon said:

64 DS is better than the original, I will die on that hill.

Yes! Yes! This, all of the yes to this!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

I noticed someone say about Sw/Sh that one cool thing was access to pseudos earlier and easier than in most titles

Playing US on the third island, well I can confirm I have multiple first forms in the box and just caught a Beldum. Huh, turns out that was done here first. Just surprised is all.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Load times are fine if you have the data packs.

Hot take, but I'm glad the sequence breaks got taken out. "Oh no, I can't speedrun the game as fast" except Mario 64 speedruns are basically just skipping the entire game. There's a difference between the occasional sequence break and just skipping literally everything.

But if you don't...? Be prepared to wait 2 minutes for a screen to load!

I personally don't mind them, as a huge Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion fan of course! But hey, to each their own.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You do know that the 3D All Stars version of Super Mario 64 doesn't have the sequence breaks, right? Even considering the sequence breaks, the 3D All Stars version is still worthless.

>Implying I've played these remastered games from a series I've little interest in playing

It's impressive that they took that much effort. Just, the effort to remove that stuff and do all but nothing else.

Just now, Dayni said:

It's impressive that they took that much effort. Just, the effort to remove that stuff and do all but nothing else.

Like I said earlier, even then they weren't making any effort. The version without the sequence breaks already existed, it just never left Japan. They put that in 3D All Stars.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Like I said earlier, even then they weren't making any effort. The version without the sequence breaks already existed, it just never left Japan. They put that in 3D All Stars.

I know the name of it!

They gave them the Shindou version.

Wasn't there a move that wasn't removed from it that was removed from the DS version?

14 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I know the name of it!

They gave them the Shindou version.

Yes, that's the one.

14 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Wasn't there a move that wasn't removed from it that was removed from the DS version?

I don't know about that, actually.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

I wouldn't rule it out but most people have an SD card because default storage on Nintendo systems is laughable.

Well that requires you to dish out extra cash to make the game playable though.

42 minutes ago, Benice said:

TELL HER THAT O STANDS FOR OMAZING

I ended up doing a bunch of technology with dog ears and then one of my dogs listening to music... I love my dogs.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

1410AD now. At this point I've helping keep the Mongol Empire in check. Man, they are starting to really go on the offensive in invading central Europe.

That’s a bit early for Genghis Khan though... 

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

That’s a bit early for Genghis Khan though... 

I set the Mongol Empire to spawn at random.

And they did... in the 800's:

ck2-1.png

The early stages of my playthrough... so different... so different...

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I set the Mongol Empire to spawn at random.

And they did... in the 800's:

ck2-1.png

The early stages of my playthrough... so different... so different...

Which one are you?

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Which one are you?

Hispania.

Started as the humble Kingdom of Asturias in the 769AD start. Turned it into the Kingdom of Leon, then formed the Empire of Hispania. All in less than 100 years, I took back the peninsula in the Reconquista!