• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, Shrimperor said:

If anyone cheats in that game they are a scrub that should stop gaming forever.

Even Nightmare is beatable without cheats or grinding.

Right. That's why I mentioned it. Trails can get difficult, but never unfair or where it requires cheats.

57 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Overall though, the game is pretty fun. I don't know yet if i'd fully recommend it, it's definitely not aged well in some parts, but it's a fun game overall. But if you're a Monolith Soft fan, i'd definitely recommend the game. At least give it an honest shot.

7/10

A pretty fair score and points of criticism if you ask me. I can see it dipping to 6/10 for some, or maybe 5/10 if the battle system really really didn't click.

Back in the day, without the aging, it sometimes got an 8/10, but you can't ignore age that impacts everything. And the GameCube wasn't known for its vast JRPG catalogue the way the PS2 was, the scarcity might've driven up scores.

On two MAJOR SPOILERS points

Spoiler

I yet again agree that Melodia being manipulated as the result of the taint from her End Magnus resurrection does hurt the plot. It renders the evil rather faceless. What is there to oppose, to free the world from, what is there to look at and say "I will defeat you"? 

Since I was playing XC1DE, it dawned on me in the past few days that final battle Malpercio looks like a Zombie High Entia.

I hope Origins has better voice acting.

Oh, it does, definitely.

Guillo might sound strange, but that is intentional, Guillo isn't human. I actually adore Guillo's VA, I don't think I've ever heard anything like it since.

Nonetheless, an undub exists if you want it, but give the English a fighting chance first.

I hope Origins has better voice acting.

First, get your head out of the clouds! Take some days, weeks, months, years off as you so desire and liberate yourself from Belly of the Whale. You deserve it! Go and drink a few gallons of kaijuice or whatever floats your boat.

Second, As an anti-hype disclaimer, I do confess that the game you shall play is not perfect, it has flaws in both gameplay, narrative and etc. which I shall admit to! No nostalgia glasses on me, nor any other nostalgia clothing! If you should so assert that Sagi is trash unworthy of licking the barrels of KOS-MOS's G-Shot, I shall I respect your opinion. 

Third, while you take your break, empty your mind of the Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean battle system!

I present to you a sample from a 2006 video of the new combat system from very early in the game.:

https://www.ign.com/videos/2006/09/06/baten-kaitos-origins-gamecube-clip-battle-continues

The overhaul was intended to be simpler and faster, although early on, it will feel slow. As for why The Valedictory Elegy isn't playing here, it's because this is leading into a boss battle.

For a more recent video that showcases the gameplay as it can be later.:

DO NOT WATCH BEYOND THE FIRST 3 MINUTES! At 3:20, it starts showing a location from late in the game.

The immediately above vid is flawed, in that by intentionally picking enemies from much earlier in the game than the characters are presently at, the enemies never really got to attack or hurt the heroes here. The common enemies in Origins can hit very hard, which makes some sense, given all HP is replenished after every fight -barring the chain battles at the Coliseum as shown above.

Bosses starting with the very first hit can hard too, although the number of instances of boss healing are fewer than in EWatLO if memory serves me right, and they don't carry insta-death anymore.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

f anyone cheats in that game they are a scrub that should stop gaming forever.

I uh....did cheat in SC.

In my defense, fog monster boss was doodoo dogshit and the final boss did not need one million HP on the last phase.

56 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A pretty fair score and points of criticism if you ask me. I can see it dipping to 6/10 for some, or maybe 5/10 if the battle system really really didn't click.

Yeah, the battle system really is make or break. Some people aren't into card-based RPGs period, which is why i'm not sure if i can recommend this game to people. And i'm not about to pull the "you can enjoy this even if you aren't a fan of this style" card when i complained about Hades in the previous page.

On two MAJOR SPOILERS points

Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler

We don't even hear Malpercio talk, so even the manipulation just kinda falls flat.

First, get your head out of the clouds! Take some days, weeks, months, years off as you so desire and liberate yourself from Belly of the Whale. You deserve it! Go and drink a few gallons of kaijuice or whatever floats your boat.

I know you're recommending this but i'm pretty bad at taking breaks. I mean, i once said i'd take a break in-between Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, on account of Tellius being the longest Fire Emblem games. I never took that break.

What i'm saying is that i'm probably gonna start Origins tonight tbh.

Second, As an anti-hype disclaimer, I do confess that the game you shall play is not perfect, it has flaws in both gameplay, narrative and etc. which I shall admit to! No nostalgia glasses on me, nor any other nostalgia clothing! If you should so assert that Sagi is trash unworthy of licking the barrels of KOS-MOS's G-Shot, I shall I respect your opinion. 

I'll keep that in mind. Although i haven't really seen anyone else talk about Origins, let alone Baten Kaitos as a whole so i don't really have any expectations either way.

The overhaul was intended to be simpler and faster, although early on, it will feel slow. As for why The Valedictory Elegy isn't playing here, it's because this is leading into a boss battle.

For a more recent video that showcases the gameplay as it can be later.:

I can already see improvements, knowing which card comes next in line can help make combo'ing much easier.

I would say that i like that you can select the next character's action while the previous one is doing their thing but i need to actually experience that for myself first.

As a side note, Origins' playable cast really is just those three right? I remember when you typed up a crossover scenario between Origins and Torna and you just had the three Origins characters there, right?

given all HP is replenished after every fight

Good.

Edited by Armagon

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I uh....did cheat in SC.

Booo, booooooooo, booo. I don't even know what that game is, but clearly you are now disqualified from criticizing KagaSaga ever again.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

As a side note, Origins' playable cast really is just those three right? I remember when you typed up a crossover scenario between Origins and Torna and you just had the three Origins characters there, right?

Correct. I understand how that could be seen as limiting. (I can think of two characters, that I now wish were playable, and I'd try to squeeze in a third were it not for how relatively late they come.)

But on the positive side of things, I can say that while Eternal Wings struggled to fully flesh out anyone other than Kalas and Xelha, the Origins trio I found to be of significantly higher writing quality. Again, not perfect, yet better, fun even.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I would say that i like that you can select the next character's action while the previous one is doing their thing but i need to actually experience that for myself first.

Since the system is ATB now, you may wish to set the ATB to the "Wait" option from the menu right away. There ought to be one of these, it'll allow enemy attacks to load into the queue while you're picking cards with someone, but they won't be able to actually attack you're done, IIRC.

And my apologies if I seemed pushy, I didn't want to be. I wanted to get the Origins spiel out of the way.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I AM FREE! FREE!!!

But I am going to use this freedom to attempt chapter 13... am I really free? 🤔

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Booo, booooooooo, booo. I don't even know what that game is, but clearly you are now disqualified from criticizing KagaSaga ever again.

One of the Trails games that Shrimpy actually likes.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I AM FREE! FREE!!!

Yes!

But I am going to use this freedom to attempt chapter 13...

No!

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

One of the Trails games that Shrimpy actually likes.

Ah. Good to know.

Y'know, the last time I had fun using cheats in a game was with the old Spider-Man movie tie-in game from 2002. Man, it was a good time just messing around with all the unlockables. Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy had awesome cheats too.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

One of the best games of all time.

Yes, yes it is.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes!

No!

My thoughts.

Ah. Good to know.

It was the first one, I think. I at least know it’s not one of the modern Trails.

It was the first one, I think. I at least know it’s not one of the modern Trails.

SC is Second Chapter, the masterpiece that followed the already excellent First Chapter (FC).

15 minutes ago, Benice said:

BPlUEKw.png

Part 0.1 of the manga about the Yakuza turned house husband?

Just now, Sooks said:

Starting right off the bat with a 46% hit that was also a crit, and a level that included strength, speed and defense. Way to go Byleth!

Byleth rose from the dead, is considered the continuation of their Goddess, Byleth RNGsus confirmed?

9 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Byleth rose from the dead, is considered the continuation of their Goddess, Byleth RNGsus confirmed?

I really really hope so.

Eh, why not.

monolith-soft-games-4012-1616617972.png?

Monolith Soft tier-list.

Decided to move Xenosaga Episode III up a tier, Xenogears' age still holds it back, despite how much i also want to put it in A-tier.

Then again, Monolith Soft is super based so that even it's C-tier games are better than other studios C-tier games. But that could just be bias speaking.

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey, i beat KagaSaga games without cheats.

I would've definitely cheated on TRS Ch.34 tho.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But on the positive side of things, I can say that while Eternal Wings struggled to fully flesh out anyone other than Kalas and Xelha, the Origins trio I found to be of significantly higher writing quality. Again, not perfect, yet better, fun even.

Even if i don't end up feeling the same way for this game, it is easier to flesh out a smaller cast.

I mean, Trails to Zero just had four playable characters that i thought were written well. Well, not 100% true, as there'd be occasional guest characters but other than that, it was just the four.

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Since the system is ATB now, you may wish to set the ATB to the "Wait" option from the menu right away.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Thanks for letting me know. Y'all know i don't really like constant ATB and the Atelier Ryza games so far have been like the two exceptions (and even then, i only really liked it in Ryza 2).

Then again, i couldn't actually tell it was ATB from the two clips you posted. Perhaps that was a good thing.

25 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And my apologies if I seemed pushy, I didn't want to be. I wanted to get the Origins spiel out of the way

It's fine, don't worry about it. Like i said, i was planning on starting Origins tonight anyway.

24 minutes ago, Sooks said:

But I am going to use this freedom to attempt chapter 13...

But why?

Just now, Armagon said:

Hey, i beat KagaSaga games without cheats.

I would've definitely cheated on TRS Ch.34 tho.

Shrimpy said you should be banned from videogames, therefore what right do you have to criticize games? Clearly I am winner!

Speaking of RNG, why did they choose to make all of the enemies in the super enemy packed map very dodgy? That wasn’t nice.

Maddening:

https://data.whicdn.com/images/178940057/original.png

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Shrimpy said you should be banned from videogames, therefore what right do you have to criticize games? Clearly I am winner!

He was clearly talking about the first Trails in the Sky. Checkmate.

To progress.

I’m gonna be honest I’m having fun now that I have a strategy.

Wait was the "I'm free" not referring to you beating Ch.13?

48 minutes ago, Armagon said:

In my defense, fog monster boss was doodoo dogshit and the final boss did not need one million HP on the last phase

Ok, i can give you the final boss as it was just a sponge tank (like all Falcom final bosses, they are very bad at this) but Fog monster was doable...

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wait was the "I'm free" not referring to you beating Ch.13?

It was referring to me being done with school for the day*.

*except my assignment that I’m procrastinating on but shhhhh.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

He was clearly talking about the first Trails in the Sky. Checkmate.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

If anyone cheats in that game they are a scrub that should stop gaming forever.

I win, my foolish friend. Never again shall you slander the flawless image of such a masterpiece as Berwick Saga! Never! Ah hah hah hah hah hah...!

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Thanks for letting me know. Y'all know i don't really like constant ATB and the Atelier Ryza games so far have been like the two exceptions (and even then, i only really liked it in Ryza 2).

If it comes down to it, infinite HP codes exist. Although you can later in the game increase everyone's Max HP by loading up on Mountain Apples from Cebalrai, they grant +5% Max HP to everyone for an hour before the applies rot, and multiple apples stack to a certain point.

Although it'll be quite a while before you get access to the Coliseum, if you wish to work your way up in that totally optional arena, NEVER "make small talk" with the Registration Lady there. Doing so causes a glitch that prevents you from going from Rank 4 to Rank 5, and thus unable to become Champion. Supposedly this only happens if you make small talk at Rank 4, but to be on the safe side, just don't do it ever.