• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Ritual of the Night review

Ritual of the Night is a pretty cool game, even if i was playing the objectively inferior Switch version and had to wait for all the patches to come out what do you mean there's an iOS version?

This game is the first big Metroidvania game i've played. I've played two smaller Metroidvania games in the form of the Blaster Master Zero games but that's about it well i did play Super Metroid once but i got soft-locked.

As far as the gameplay goes, it's pretty solid. Combat is nice and some abilities are fun to use although this game definitely has too many of them. Most of the Shards you get in this game pretty much exist to be sold off for money, there's like no reason to keep most of them. That's a good thing tho, considering how rare money seems to be in this game. I can't remember the last time i was constantly going broke in a game. Crafting is a thing that you can do for free but much like money, a lot of items just felt rare and most of the time, i could never have enough of them to craft.

I do think the game trips a bit towards the end since the devs decided that the last stretch of the game should all be narrow caverns and this ended up being a bit of frustration for me. Tight corridors meant not a lot of room to dodge attacks so in these areas, i would just skip fighting altogether until i got to the boss room.

........I don't have much to say about this game lol. It's fun, i like it. Might try out the other modes.

8/10

4 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:

Berwick:

Reveal hidden contents

bws-1619322254.jpeg.a1b79f4976af75d9abaaf6440093dab0.jpeg

That motherfucker again!

Gotta love it.

Spoiler

Also, I sure hope that Minas isn't his mom, it'd make this even worse.

Edited by Benice

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ritual of the Night review

Ritual of the Night is a pretty cool game, even if i was playing the objectively inferior Switch version and had to wait for all the patches to come out what do you mean there's an iOS version?

This game is the first big Metroidvania game i've played. I've played two smaller Metroidvania games in the form of the Blaster Master Zero games but that's about it well i did play Super Metroid once but i got soft-locked.

As far as the gameplay goes, it's pretty solid. Combat is nice and some abilities are fun to use although this game definitely has too many of them. Most of the Shards you get in this game pretty much exist to be sold off for money, there's like no reason to keep most of them. That's a good thing tho, considering how rare money seems to be in this game. I can't remember the last time i was constantly going broke in a game. Crafting is a thing that you can do for free but much like money, a lot of items just felt rare and most of the time, i could never have enough of them to craft.

I do think the game trips a bit towards the end since the devs decided that the last stretch of the game should all be narrow caverns and this ended up being a bit of frustration for me. Tight corridors meant not a lot of room to dodge attacks so in these areas, i would just skip fighting altogether until i got to the boss room.

........I don't have much to say about this game lol. It's fun, i like it. Might try out the other modes.

8/10

Congrats on finishing it. For me, someone who had played all of the seven Castlevania Metroidvanias, it was fine. More of the same, and despite faults, not bad.

Speaking of which, if you ever were to consider the aforementioned games...

• Symphony of the Night is the originator. Has its rough spots because of that, but in some ways it is still good.
  • The GBA trio is available on Wii U eShop. Of these...
    • Circle of the Moon’s Dual Setup System is neat, but the game has flaws that could easily be too bad for you.
    • Harmony of Dissonance is generally considered the worst. Juste is lacking to play as, castle design is poor, soundtrack is an atrocity, the graphics amount to garish puke.
    • Aria of Sorrow is good. And not merely in comparison to the prior two GBA titles.
  • The DS trio is beyond your emulation capabilities right now, but...
    • Dawn of Sorrow is decent, in some facets improved from Aria, but other aspects are a little worse and Aria is usually preferred.
    • Portrait of Ruin is wholly unoriginal, and was probably unnecessary at this point with five titles behind it. A little easy, but fun.
    • Order of Ecclesia lacks in exploration, but the difficulty is a bit higher, which some appreciate. The Glyph system is a curtailed version of Sorrows’ Souls and Bloodstained’s Shards, but there is little need to grind for Glyphs and the reduced number see most of them having some measure of usefulness.

In short, I’d suggest Ecclesia and Aria in one tier of recommendation, Portrait of Ruin and Dawn of Sorrow in a second, and Harmony and Circle can be ignored unless you’re real curious. I’m unsure of where to put Symphony of the Night, but I’d say mid-tier.

I just had a dream (literally): For Kirby's 30th anniversary next year Kirby's Return To Dreamland will get a Switch port with a four player online mode. It's my biggest wish to play this game with other people / friends. I'm already salty that Star Allies doesn't have an online mode. Would have been the perfect game for this, a greatly missed opportunity.

Question, Vestaria bros:

At the end of ch9 before escape a boss with shiny dropable adept sword appears.

Is it ok for me to kill him? Or will that lock me out of something later on?

According to my calculations it shouldn't be hard at all to kill him

Edited by Shrimperor

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Question, Vestaria bros:

At the end of ch9 before escape a boss with shiny dropable adept sword appears.

Is it ok for me to kill him? Or will that lock me out of something later on?

According to my calculations it shouldn't be hard at all to kill him

Probably too late now, but what's the name of the boss? I cannot remember an adept sword in chapter 9, so maybe I missed it myself.

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Probably too late now, but what's the name of the boss? I cannot remember an adept sword in chapter 9, so maybe I missed it myself.

Bpd9Pcr.png

that guy.

Yeah he pulls a ''I can't fall here'' after i defeat him, but he said he will punish the guy who give us the Seeker bow.

And not really late since i keep alot of save files xD

yiObOX7.png

Edited by Shrimperor

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Bpd9Pcr.png

that guy.

Yeah he pulls a ''I can't fall here'' after i defeat him, but he said he will punish the guy who give us the Seeker bow.

Ahhh, yes, this old fart. Yeah, fairly certain I didn't get the adept sword, but at the same time, I don't think anything changes if you kill him. Keep a save there, just in case, but I'm pretty sure you can kill him no problem.

Also, I like how his clan is called the Shyfts. With a name like that, how could they be anything but shifty?

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

urZDxfK.png

Kaga NO!

200.gif

Ah, Kaga. Horrible at writing romances as always. Hoelun has more chemistry with pretty much everyone she talks to than Cyltan. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not like those two should hate each other forever or anything, but I think their arc would've more naturally transitioned into them accepting their differences and becoming friends. But no, gotta somehow force them together because romance is the name of the game.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, Kaga. Horrible at writing romances as always. Hoelun has more chemistry with pretty much everyone she talks to than Cyltan. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not like those two should hate each other forever or anything, but I think their arc would've more naturally transitioned into them accepting their differences and becoming friends. But no, gotta somehow force them together because romance is the name of the game.

I wouldn't have been so against it if he wasn't treating her always like shit and the game made it pretty clear she was unhappy there...

The writing in this is honestly on the meh side

Edited by Shrimperor

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

I wouldn't have been so against it if he wasn't treating her always like shit and the game made it pretty clear she was unhappy there...

Cyltan has his own issues, and if it helps, he does work through them eventually. His development arc is pretty good. But to claim that Hoelun somehow has feelings for him even when he's at his worst is just... why?

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

ut to claim that Hoelun somehow has feelings for him even when he's at his worst is just... why?

If he was more friendly with her at his best i could see it happening...

Now i feel like i am reading stockholm syndrome light...