Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

6 minutes ago, Spara said:

If you removed Larentia's layer, cropped it, and shaded it in, you'd have Ajax's portrait.

I'm serious. That is, quite literally, Ajax's portrait. Nice one, Kaga.

Mayumi Hirota: "Here's some nice art of Berwick Saga."

Kaga: "It's free real estate."

Wait, but Hirota wasn't the artist for Berwick, was she?

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

I think you also really liked Cassius' design as well, but I could be remembering wrong.

Cassius was... okay. His eyes were too far apart.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait, but Hirota wasn't the artist for Berwick, was she?

No, she wasn't. She just made this on a whim for Kaga, since they were friends afaik. 

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Best Game.

Also Zephyrus be looking like Ajax in this image

Not gonna lie, I didn't see it was him for a second because the shading made him look more blonde.

(He's supposed to be more transparent right?)

1 minute ago, Spara said:

No, she wasn't. She just made this on a whim for Kaga, since they were friends afaik. 

Aww... That's so nice of her. May she rest in peace.

Just now, Dayni said:

Not gonna lie, I didn't see it was him for a second because the shading made him look more blonde.

(He's supposed to be more transparent right?)

Yeah, I think the intent is that he's transparent. Or maybe

Spoiler

the image represents the state of Zephy after meeting Reese if Larentia took another minute to show up.

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I like how everyone instantly assumes I'm going to like the old man.

I mean, are there any you don't?

12 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

One thing i can say for Kuro is so far i don't see the sameface problem  CS suffered from.

It's cause they brought back the Crossbell artist.

I personally would've liked to see someone new since i liked that each arc had it's own artstyle but i'm fine with this.

5 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

But Uncle Shiggy decided that story and characters don't really matter.

I mean, Origiami King says otherwise but a lot of people (what am i saying, it's the best selling Paper Mario iirc) still are hesitant because of the stigma.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, are there any you don't?

Well, for instance, my favorite character in Banner Saga is one of the three that does not have a beard, and he's young too. Soooo yeah. Go figure.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Don't

give

me

hope

I really hope you end up liking Kuro because i wanna make a certain meme of it if you do.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Even Estelle and Joshua (from what I've seen) looked nice in the transition.

Nooooooooo the Sky character portraits in Crossbell are bad. I hate it. They look so off.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, for instance, my favorite character in Banner Saga is one of the three that does not have a beard, and he's young too. Soooo yeah. Go figure.

No i mean, are there any old characters you don't like.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Exceptions prove the rules

Sylvis didn't have a beard last I checked. That's two exceptions already. And I can find more if I look for them!

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

No i mean, are there any old characters you don't like.

You know, I kinda hate that none come to mind. I'm pretty sure there's probably at least one if I look hard enough, but... Well, I cannot remember any right now lol

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

really hope you end up liking Kuro because i wanna make a certain meme of it if you do

I am pretty sure you won't be the only one to meme on me then xD

They haven't said anything about bonding have they?

Also Heroine looking like a mix of Alisa and Ellie (both characters i am not fond of) is a big red flag

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

They haven't said anything about bonding have they?

I mean, the closest they've said is that "alignment chart", whatever that is (which i doubt will be to the same level as SMT, assuming it's even the same thing, which i also doubt).

For all we know, the alignment chart might be something more akin to Xenoblade's Affinity Charts. Which leads to the possibility of Bonding Events being reworked into Xenoblade H2Hs (preferably the XC2 way but 1 is fine) but this is all just speculation on my end.

We really do not know.

TIL Tirnanog was established before Kaga left IS. That is fascinating. Sadly nothing huge in this one (Or barring that point news to me.)

(Linking the Reddit thread because the comments do add the Kaga notes point.)

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I just want bonding erased from existence

Add a Mr. and I'm on board.

31 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You know, when i see people talk about Bug Fables, it feels like they're treating it as a replacement for classic Paper Mario and not as like, it's own game. I don't mean to speak for everyone but i can't say i've really seen the game discussed on it's own merits. And it's not because it's a spiritual successor, a ton of spiritual successors out there get looked at as their own thing and not as a comparison to whatever it is they're a spiritual successor of. But Bug Fables? Most times i've seen people recommend the game, it's preceded by "hey, if you don't like the current direction of Paper Mario, try out this".

I understand what you're saying. It isn't a good thing when something is praised in spite of something else. Does it have real quality, or is it being called good, simply because it isn't a certain object of undying scorn.

This said, we have had spiritual successors reviewed as merely average or outright bad. Balan Wonderworld attempting to capture the child-friendly whimsy spirit of Yuji Naka's prior games, namely Nights Into Dreams. There was a game that tried to be a successor to Sega's Crazy Taxi that also turned out bad. Good old Mighty No. 9. Therefore, when I see all the highly positive reviews Bug Fables has gotten, I am inclined to think they are warranted based on the intrinsic quality of the game itself.

Nonetheless, I cannot deny, that setting aside my dislike for Sticker Star and benign disinterest and wariness of the two subsequent games, that I'd go into Bug Fables wanting a new old PM simply because I liked those. I'm concerned that everything could be good, but without being the Mario world, it'd for no other reason fail to click with me. I'm afraid I'd be so stupidly finicky, to both my own enjoyment of the game, and the game itself.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, Origiami King says otherwise but a lot of people (what am i saying, it's the best selling Paper Mario iirc) still are hesitant because of the stigma.

There is validity in saying that a Pianta dressed like they're in the mafia isn't intrinsically better than another Paper Toad. Although I've picked a bad example b/c the Pianta mafia was well-characterized, my point is that, simply because something isn't a yet another Paper Toad, that it is of inarguably better quality than a Paper Toad could ever be.

That said, it is still so very stubborn that Nintendo can't move past them and the painfully narrow conception of what the Marioverse is. Toads are always going to exist and be fairly present, but what is so wrong with a Goomba/Koopa/Boo/Yoshi village, or a penguin town? I get that once you start adding a bunch of OC species, mayyyybe things are deviating more than they should, but then again, as long as they fit the Marioverse atmosphere, it's fine. Piantas, Lumas, and New Donkers (who are more out of place than Twilight Towners) didn't exist back in SMB1.

You could say I'm being petty if I'm at all hung on the Paper Toad issue. You wouldn't be entirely wrong, I've read how Nintendo has tried to make them pop with vibrancy to compensate for the genericness. And yet, whose pettiness is the real pettiness? Mine or the Big N's?

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I just want bonding erased from existence

Then don't take my hand and stay right there! Together while we stand apart because yuck! to human interaction, let us declare as the truth it is that humans lack the ability to truly understand each other. Nor do we even want to understand each other. We all wish to be free souls, alone and happily immersed in our own worlds, others do naught but interfere in our affairs. 

Musubi is the universal truth! Therefore, let us go to the giant glowing floating head in the center of the world and recreate this world according to that Reason! Kill everyone who would oppose us to amass the soul energy needed to summon our patron god!

*Cough* Sorry the recently released Nocturne HD Remaster did this to me.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Then don't take my hand and stay right there! Together while we stand apart because yuck! to human interaction, let us declare as the truth it is that humans lack the ability to truly understand each other. Nor do we even want to understand each other. We all wish to be free souls, alone and happily immersed in our own worlds, others do naught but interfere in our affairs. 

Musubi is the universal truth! Therefore, let us go to the giant glowing floating head in the center of the world and recreate this world according to that Reason! Kill everyone who would oppose us to amass the soul energy needed to summon our patron god!

Calm down there Angra Mainyu

11 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

XB1 H2H however isn't imo.

Yeah. I mean like, if that's what we get, I'll be fine with it because at least it won't exclusively be "MC and another person". But I'd still much rather the XC2 way.

.....now that I think about it, Cold Steel's bonding events were only there because of the way the arc was structured. What I'm saying is I don't think Kuro is gonna have "free days" so if it does have bonding events, it'll probably just be like Crossbell where it's only for specific story events. Which I know isn't ideal for you probably but it'll still be better than CS bonding events. But this is assuming bonding events are being kept, which we don't know of yet.

You can now reply with the "don't give me hope" png.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Therefore, when I see all the highly positive reviews Bug Fables has gotten, I am inclined to think they are warranted based on the intrinsic quality of the game itself.

True. It doesn't look like it's a bad game. I'd just like to see it judged on it's own terms.