• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Found another optional dungeon, this time related to Leif, earning me another field ability for him right away. I completed all the puzzles therein to unlock the final door therein, but didn't fight the awaiting boss. I checked to see its HP, 96, yep, I'll wait a little while on this one.

The number of optional bosses in BF looks to be rather large, and helps distinguish it from its spiritual predecessors. On Hard Mode -the exact bonuses of which I do not know- this game could I am not exaggerating become Etrian Odyssey difficult, or harder. This is a game by hardcore gamers catering to other gamers, not a typical Nintendo product.

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning, oh the guilt I would feel and scolding I would receive if I had any issues.😨 So I need to hit the hay early tonight, but I do want to squeeze in some more BF. It is quietly dragging me back into it, I don't feel boundlessly enthusiastic about the game, but it is winning me over.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I did it.

God, I won't need to jerk off tonight.

FYI, it was stated that when they playtested Bloodstained, they forced the playtesters to defeat every boss using only the initial dagger and while taking no damage. It was almost impossible, but they pulled it off.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Wait so what's the new threat then if Dracula's gone?

Keep in mind only the two "of Sorrow" games -Aria and Dawn- take place after 1999. Plus a drama CD set after the later game. There hasn't been a lot.

Although it's almost impossible to tell Soma's games are basically contemporary, the castles explored are antiquated as usual. The first very short fight in Dawn takes place on a city street, and there is a car in the starting area of Dawn's castle, but otherwise, it's all old.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, what the fuck... Oh, but don't forget Dawn of Sorrow, where you have to do a janky-ass touch screen minigame or else the boss heals.

That has everything to do with Dawn of Sorrow being an early DS title. The system has a touchscreen- we must make use of it no matter what! 

How else you can tell? The game's name- Dawn of Sorrow, DS, like the system it was released on. Forcing subtitles on games that acronym to "DS" was popular back then. The trend died down later, as did the forcing of touch controls where they don't belong, when developers realized a gimmick didn't have to be featured in the game if it could be made good without it.

Why, the bonus non-canon Julius Mode of DoS dropped the Magic Seals. Which coincidentally aligns with what Julius himself says in the story at one point, he can't use Magic Seals, so the old man destroys the enemies before they can reconstitute.

...I can't be too harsh on DoS though, it was my first Castlevania, introduced via a DVD of video game trailers that came with a Nintendo Power magazine issue I received. I forget what else was on that CD, other than Riviera: the Promised Land GBA version with Japanese voice clips.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Classic Ys Bullet Hell Action

According to the venerable fountain of knowledge that is Wikipedia🧐... the "Bullet Hell" as a particular type of shump, was invented in either 1993 or 1995. 

Therefore, provided it meets the criterion of bullet hell bullet craziness and the game is appropriately old, Ys might have been bullet hell before bullet hell was a thing.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Ok is it me or do you just take more damage in Samus Returns? Because even with the Varia Suit, i feel like i'm taking more damage than i should.

I never finished the game, b/c stuck on a late boss, and I thought I was diligent with my collection, so maybe you do take a ton of damage?😅

Although, reading about Zero Mission's Hard Mode is frightening. Double damage taken, Energy Tanks give 50 units of health not 100, more and stronger enemies, fewer Save Rooms. Reads like a recipe for repeated disaster.

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although it's almost impossible to tell Soma's games are basically contemporary, the castles explored are antiquated as usual. The first very short fight in Dawn takes place on a city street, and there is a car in the starting area of Dawn's castle, but otherwise, it's all old

So basically Dracula's castle could show up in the year 5500 in a high-tech city and the castle would still appear to be from the middle ages.

44 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

never finished the game, b/c stuck on a late boss, and I thought I was diligent with my collection, so maybe you do take a ton of damage?

It does feel that way. A Metroid hits you once and that's like 3/4ths of a tank gone.

44 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although, reading about Zero Mission's Hard Mode is frightening. Double damage taken, Energy Tanks give 50 units of health not 100, more and stronger enemies, fewer Save Rooms. Reads like a recipe for repeated disaster.

Also item expansions give less.

48 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Its worst when dealing with the Metroid. They suck you dry quick. Other than that, its pretty easy actually.

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So basically Dracula's castle could show up in the year 5500 in a high-tech city and the castle would still appear to be from the middle ages.

The castle is capable of reshaping itself as it see fit. It likely prefers the antiquated look for the most part but it is known to update itself. As seen with the clock tower it usually sports. Also, in Aria of Sorrow you can find a modern handgun inside the thing. And while its canonicity is suspect... an honest to goodness laser cannon.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Its worst when dealing with the Metroid. They suck you dry quick. Other than that, its pretty easy actually.

The Metroids don't actually do that, they prefer to just hit you head on or shoot you with energy beams.

Well the ones I've fought anyway.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The castle is capable of reshaping itself as it see fit. It likely prefers the antiquated look for the most part but it is known to update itself. As seen with the clock tower it usually sports. Also, in Aria of Sorrow you can find a modern handgun inside the thing.

I see. So the castle is a boomer essentially.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I see. So the castle is a boomer essentially.

Probably. Though after 1999 it's now stuck inside a pocket dimension whose entrance is only open at select solar eclipses. So it might not have the chance to update itself as quickly, haha. Aria of Sorrow takes place in 2035, when a Solar Eclipse is calculated to happen in Japan here in real life, and also happens in-game. Likewise the lore has it the 1999 battle happened also during a solar eclipse. And indeed, in real life a solar eclipse happened over Romania and other parts of Eastern Europe back in 1999.

Assuming the time period between both eclipses, despite other eclipses happening in between, means something, then the next time Castlevania becomes accessible will be in 2071... over Mexico or Venezuela.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

59 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Rest in peace. May you and your work be remembered.

I hope their friends and family can find peace and comfort in this very, very difficult time for them. And that the person rests in peace, of course.

34 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The Metroids don't actually do that, they prefer to just hit you head on or shoot you with energy beams.

Well the ones I've fought anyway.

They do. They slowly fly around Samus then latch, and the only way too remove em is with Morph Bombs.

17 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

They do. They slowly fly around Samus then latch, and the only way too remove em is with Morph Bombs.

I have not seen them do this once.

Unless you're talking about Zero Mission.

....you were talking about Zero Mission. I thought you were talking about Samus Returns. My bad.

Played more Bug Fables than I probably should've before going to bed, but I did manage to kill off two of the optional bosses. The Seedling King had a high probability of being frozen (Hard I read makes that more difficult), so Leif kept it an icy coffin while Kabbu threw out more damage. It was a naught compared to other bosses in this game. Case in point- the Devourer took me four tries, but I won. The plant monstrosity dealt heavy damage, poison, and then had the audacity to summon some minions and trap one of my guys in its gullet. Ice Drillllll! My strategy was all-out attack with Kabbu and Leif and have Vi use items to keep up on the TP, I had to hope that by luck I'd kill the boss before it killed me, and I amazingly did.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer