Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

22 minutes ago, Dayni said:

He Lives in You blaring in the background

Alright, shut it down, we've found the most perfect thing on the internet.

It's one of my favorites.

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Like VNs that you’ve played or that the internet says are good?

In the meantime, you should play 13 Sentinels 👍.

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This is a pet peeve of mine. For example, if you're not Japanese and you call it "Boku no pico", you deserve to get shot. Them's the rules

Ftfy

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Shrimpy when characters are happy

download_2.jpeg

Ü

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yes!

A fellow suffering enjoyer!

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So can I jump straight to Chaos;Child from 0?

Sadly not. Chaos;Child and Robotics;Notes both need knowledge from C;H. (Robotics;Notes also knowledge from Steins;Gate)

Well, they could still be enjoyable alone, but you will miss some stuff. Especially in Child as it's Head thematic sequel

One can even argue that S;G needs C;H as well, as the

Spoiler

Committee is introduced in C;H first

But S;G does a good job of doing that itself and thus works as a standalone if you aren't interested in the rest

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Like VNs that you’ve played or that the internet says are good?

Both. I didn't play that many myself outside of Sci;Adv tbh.

https://vndb.org/u206999/ulist?votes=1

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yeah, but nothing new about Titor, I don’t think

That's where you are wrong

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

In the meantime, you should play 13 Sentinels 👍.

I’ll get to it eventually. I am interested in the funny no one can talk about it after 5 minutes game.

3 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Sadly not. Chaos;Child and Robotics;Notes both need knowledge from C;H. (Robotics;Notes also knowledge from Steins;Gate)

Well, that sucks.

Screenshot_20211211-093231.png

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

ll get to it eventually. I am interested in the funny no one can talk about it after 5 minutes game.

I need someone else to talk to about the game with.

39 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Kurisuuuuuuutinaaaaa!

Za Zombie!

Pervy Assistant!

@channl'er

Honestly, I still feel he peaked in the prologue when he yelled DOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKUTORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR completely out of nowhere.

35 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Midori just fucking sitting here tearing at Ophelia's self-image. That's some rough cuts from a kid who looks old enough to be my niece.

Whoa, what? I didn't think she had it in her. She always seemed like such a generic nice girl.

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This is a pet peeve of mine. For example, if you're not Japanese and you call it "Boku no Hero Academia", you deserve to get shot. Them's the rules.

Broke: Hiiniasu

Woke: Innes

Bespoke: J A M E S

Honestly though, I get you. I've seen it sometimes before. Ace Attorney, for instance. Names in Ace Attorney are 9 times out of 10 puns of some sort. Since puns are very language-dependant, they are translated to things that sometimes aren't so close to the original. It's fine, because the main intent behind them, the humor, is preserved much better this way, whereas the effect would be lost completely if they kept the Japanese names as is.

But then you see the occasional badass who just goes "Mitsurugi Reiji." Dude, c'mon, what's wrong with Edgeworth?

...I'll never understand what possessed the French to name him Benjamin Hunter, though...

8 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Ftfy

You know, that makes me realize I don't even know what that thing's name really means.

I did not need to have this thought in my mind. Why did you this, Shrimpers?

9 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

One can even argue that S;G needs C;H as well, as the

But S;G does a good job of doing that itself and thus works as a standalone if you aren't interested in the rest

It'd be pretty shitty if S;G required prior knowledge, considering the rest of the semicolon series is never, ever brought up. All I ever hear about is S;G. Heck, I had no idea there was a semicolon series outside of S;G until you brought it up. I can't imagine many newcomers starting somewhere else than S;G.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I can play and hate it. Then we can fight about it. That works?

5 hours ago, Dayni said:

Funny how it's about as long living as FEH. And this one probably doesn't have half the international whaling to work off of.

Apparently it did add English language support, which isn't the same thing as an international release, but comes with the benefits of letting any international fans play who already had Japanese accounts keep all their hard-earned grind & gambling stuff. I think that's the internationalization method the behemoth of a gatcha called Granblue Fantasy went with.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Anyway... I mean, at least there's more variety in this than in something like Heroes. Characters look distinct. This game would add Arran. I'd rather have this game than Heroes.

Thats bara for you. While there are sure to be some some Japanese gay men who like their young thin pretty boys, less conventionally attractive body types usually not depicted elsewhere do excite their appetites.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ahhh, the shut-down of a gacha. Always a tragic event to behold.

Is that sarcasm I smell from an ocean away?😛

In this case, it seems like there might be a pinch of tragedy. Sounds like a lot of people genuinely liked the story and characters of Crestoria, and pray it gets a manga/light novel/anime to wrap it up.

Meanwhile the next Tales gacha game, Luminaria, has recently released to such overflowing revenues that it'll be gone before you know it. I saw people compare the numbers to the terrible Sakura Wars mobile game that has brought Sega's plans for a revival of that franchise to a screeching halt.

Seriously speaking, I don't entirely oppose the idea of temporary video games, in theory. In the art world, there are art "installations" that are intended to be set up for a time, and then the work of art is disassembled and gone for good. Art of the present moment, and only for that moment, it has a certain existential ephemerality to it, much like the Tibetan Buddhist tradition of sand mandalas.:

Spoiler

1920px-Amazing_sand_mandala.jpg

Which are ritually destroyed after some time passes.

Mobile games however are not art, they are corporate cash grabs. And for that reason, their impermanence is not intentionally philosophical. I would compare it more to drugs, when one stops being addictive, invent a new one to bring in that sweet narcotics money again.

31 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ah, so Okarin is just does the opposite of those weebs who insist on saying the Japanese name when there's an official English name.

This is a pet peeve of mine. For example, if you're not Japanese and you call it "Boku no Hero Academia", you deserve to get shot. Them's the rules.

While a name is only a name, and sometimes the name directly translates in meaning 100%, this isn't always the case, even where an official translated name exists.

For instance, "Three Houses" doesn't reference any of the seasons stuff in the Japanese subtitle. Which might be an actual loss of meaning. Not that important for enjoying the story, but still, a loss of intended meaning.

Translation as an art form does inevitably involve some loss. And that ultimately, nothing is the exact same as the work of art, entertainment, or philosophy & faith in the original language. Only close approximates for those fields utilizing nuanced language rife with wordplay, connotations, and ambivalent meanings.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I can feel "the loneliness from being trapped in a world where nobody can understand my opinions on matters beyond their comprehension" here.😜

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But then you see the occasional badass who just goes "Mitsurugi Reiji." Dude, c'mon, what's wrong with Edgeworth?

Somebody like their Soulcalibur samurai merged with a man of many of many crossovers. 

Alright, having watched the second half of the first, I can safely say the second Sonic movie could legit be good.

No jokes here.

37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's one of my favorites.

The video or He Lives in You?

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Whoa, what? I didn't think she had it in her. She always seemed like such a generic nice girl.

Midori learned verbal assassination the way her dad and uncle learned literal assassination

Admittedly, it'll probably be a slow burn for the chain considering how the C rank went.

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

For instance, "Three Houses" doesn't reference any of the seasons stuff in the Japanese subtitle. Which might be an actual loss of meaning. Not that important for enjoying the story, but still, a loss of intended meaning.

See, I don't think it was a meaning that would have stuck with those unfamiliar with the things that the original title brings up, not to mention that a title can read very differently to different audiences (I mean, just look at light novel titles and how those would probably not work to a general Anglo audience.)

Three Houses, by the title it chooses, arguably alters what it is telling the player though. It can be argued that it focuses on the three houses and the students as a result.

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Translation as an art form does inevitably involve some loss. And that ultimately, nothing is the exact same as the work of art, entertainment, or philosophy & faith in the original language. Only close approximates for those fields utilizing nuanced language rife with wordplay, connotations, and ambivalent meanings.

How much loss and alteration is arguably contextual. I do think it is somewhat overstated the degree of removal that is done but maybe I just don't see it as much as I think I so.

See: people complaining about the use of "cultural appropriation" in a dialogue when it is appropriately used Yes I still find the fact people complained about NEO TWEWY's localisation aggravating and stupid.

32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Soulcalibur samurai

Yeah, even I won't deny I used him a bunch playing SC II and III

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

a man of many of many crossovers. 

Why does he have so many swords?

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

. I can't imagine many newcomers starting somewhere else than S;G

Yeah. It's probably 99% of the people start.

The main reason of that is the anime. S;G has the best VN to anime adaptation ever created. S;G anime is also considered one of the best anime of all time. That's a massive popularity boost. Even normies know of S;G due to how popular (and at the same time good. It even ranks highly on imdb iirc)

Other Sci;Adv adaptations are from terribad to mediocre (just like most other VN to anime adaptations out there), so they fell out of the public eye so to say.

So yeath thankfully S;G can stand on it's own feet.

Another reason i can imagine, although to a much lesser degree, are the first impressions. S;G gives a bunch of charismatic and moronic misfits impressions, while the others give a "eh, highschool again" impression. So they will have to read a bit to go beyond that, which many might not likecto do

Edited by Father Shrimpas

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thats bara for you. While there are sure to be some some Japanese gay men who like their young thin pretty boys, less conventionally attractive body types usually not depicted elsewhere do excite their appetites.

They definitely would add Arran then. Gotta have some terminally ill hunk goodness in there. Learn from them, Heroes and your boring swimsuits.

Is that sarcasm I smell from an ocean away?😛

Perish the thought. Every time a gacha dies, I cry for at least ten minutes.

Seriously speaking, I don't entirely oppose the idea of temporary video games, in theory. In the art world, there are art "installations" that are intended to be set up for a time, and then the work of art is disassembled and gone for good. Art of the present moment, and only for that moment, it has a certain existential ephemerality to it, much like the Tibetan Buddhist tradition of sand mandalas.:

Reveal hidden contents

1920px-Amazing_sand_mandala.jpg

Which are ritually destroyed after some time passes.

Mobile games however are not art, they are corporate cash grabs. And for that reason, their impermanence is not intentionally philosophical. I would compare it more to drugs, when one stops being addictive, invent a new one to bring in that sweet narcotics money again.

These are some very good points. I agree with all of this.

Somebody like their Soulcalibur samurai merged with a man of many of many crossovers. 

I cannot see the images. Try to find images not from a fandom wikia, those tend to be difficult to link outside.

4 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Yeah. It's probably 99% of the people start.

The main reason of that is the anime. S;G has the best VN to anime adaptation ever created. S;G anime is also considered one of the best anime of all time. That's a massive popularity boost. Even normies know of S;G due to how popular (and at the same time good. It even ranks highly on imdb iirc)

Other Sci;Adv adaptations are from terribad to mediocre (just like most other VN to anime adaptations out there), so they fell out of the public eye so to say.

So yeath thankfully S;G can stand on it's own feet.

And then I started the VN because I am allergic to watching shows. Go figure.

4 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Another reason i can imagine, although to a much lesser degree, are the first impressions. S;G gives a bunch of charismatic and moronic misfits impressions, while the others give a "eh, highschool again" impression.

I can confirm that Okarin is extremely moronic. And that's a great thing.

Days Lost is an appropriate title for a map where you could spend days trying to perfect the stealth.

10 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Even normies know of S;G due to how popular

Can confirm.

Source: I know it existed for years.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

They definitely would add Arran then. Gotta have some terminally ill hunk goodness in there. Learn from them, Heroes and your boring swimsuits.

See, this is why IS should have focused on getting at least one version of every unit in from the beginning, Archanea's miles behind so they can't get money off of you by making him S-tier

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

See, this is why IS should have focused on getting at least one version of every unit in from the beginning, Archanea's miles behind so they can't get money off of you by making him S-tier

At this point, even Arran getting in as an S tier would make me play Heroes. And let's not kid ourselves, someone like Arran would be fodder trash. You need big boobs in order to be fanserviceable enough to be a rare unit.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

At this point, even Arran getting in as an S tier would make me play Heroes. And let's not kid ourselves, someone like Arran would be fodder trash. You need big boobs in order to be fanserviceable enough to be a rare unit.

I mean, in the most recent banner Priam of all characters got a big 5*.

If they actually cleared rosters we'd have Arran by now.

Point being Heroes was making deep cuts too late for me to stick around, I quit around the time of Veld

Manage to ace the stealth. Mikoto then proceeds to change her AI because Kana could die. Maybe I should have paired up again, but still, F the map.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

tfw you want to recommend an anime w/o them thinking it's ecchi but the English title is "Rascal Does not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai"

yep, Seishun Buta Yarou it is

My condolences to Brightbow. The main page of Serenes is back to advertising Heroes's JPEGs. We'll have to wait till HSoS is released for another period of glory at the Serenes front page.

44 minutes ago, twilit of Christmas Past said:

tfw you want to recommend an anime w/o them thinking it's ecchi but the English title is "Rascal Does not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai"

yep, Seishun Buta Yarou it is

You do make a valid point. Exhibit one - I do not want to see that.

...Hey, wait a minute, that's the anime with the opening that Youtube recommends me on occasion. I like the song. That's about it. Isn't it one of those animes that's a dumb harem romcom for most of its run, until it becomes edgy and sad completely out of nowhere? That's what I've heard, at least.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

I mean, in the most recent banner Priam of all characters got a big 5*.

If they actually cleared rosters we'd have Arran by now.

Huh.

Well, neat, at least.