Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 hour ago, Edelguardiansing said:

And with that adorable picture, we are just about to reach the cre-!

1-5 may be looooong, but it was worth it.

1 hour ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Oh...I have to use the DS microphone to progress?

Oh...

Well, the button press still works, but yeah, using the microphone to yell your own objections was part of the marketing appeal for the western market and make use of the DS functions.

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Ok Timerra's map is tough

That and it wants me to go zooming

Left for work before I could finish it but I just have the last boss left there.

But yeah, it was tricky. Village on the bottom left is just dead on arrival but the other two weren't too bad.

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Wolf Knights are the new master ninjas i see xD

Wolf Knights are fucking terrifying to face against.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

No.

She has highest STR in the Team after Louis and Panette.

Add to that highest speed and double avo bonus, Rosado's squad couldn't touch her

And Yunaka doesn't even need reclassing, she goes up to Lv.40.

Gonna call it a night there.

Spoiler

Tomorrow I hopefully find how Seforia dies, because I am really confused about this particular monarch's erasure. And I hope I get some money, too. Been broke since Elusia.

I oughta start doing paralogues, too. Maybe I'll do Lucina's after Solm.

Hmmm. I might over level myself doing this but....I think I'm gonna wait until I've recruited everyone before doing the Emblem paralouges. Just so that the last batch of joiners can have some additional availability if I use them.

Those paralouges are pretty damn tough from what I hear anyways. 

23 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

You mean bottom right, right?

Bottom left you can get if you zoom

Yes I meant bottom right.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hmmm. I might over level myself doing this but....I think I'm gonna wait until I've recruited everyone before doing the Emblem paralouges. Just so that the last batch of joiners can have some additional availability if I use them.

Those paralouges are pretty damn tough from what I hear anyways. 

You know, I was considering that myself, actually. Especially seeing how some of the later joiners are the characters I was most excited for going into the game.

...still, at the rate things are going, there might not be a choice. Some paralogues are going to be unlocked REALLY late.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Honestly

I think mid game wise this is harder than Conquest lol.

Well yes but actually no. I think this game's difficulty does surpass Conquest at points. However, in Conquest it was either a full reset or ironman, no in betweens. Engage gives you Turnwheel and battle saves so while it's hard, it's not "throw my controller at the wall" hard.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well yes but actually no. I think this game's difficulty does surpass Conquest at points. However, in Conquest it was either a full reset or ironman, no in betweens. Engage gives you Turnwheel and battle saves so while it's hard, it's not "throw my controller at the wall" hard.

Well yeah i generally don't use those.

Some exceptions like 1%crit and missclicks, but otherwise i don't.

Although i feel when i do Maddening eventually i will use the turnwheel as a "5 turn save" limit, because i can imagine Maddening is hell, and we're all seeing how Sooks is suffering right now XD

10 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Although i feel when i do Maddening eventually i will use the turnwheel as a "5 turn save" limit, because i can imagine Maddening is hell, and we're all seeing how Sooks is suffering right now XD

Ngl, knowing that Maddening slaps unbreakable onto all the bosses deters me from trying it. Part of the boss puzzle in this game is Breaking them but in Maddening it's just "hit them harder" which is just.....every high-end difficulty in any RPG ever.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ngl, knowing that Maddening slaps unbreakable onto all the bosses deters me from trying it. Part of the boss puzzle in this game is Breaking them but in Maddening it's just "hit them harder" which is just.....every high-end difficulty in any RPG ever.

Well, now being "unbreakable" is part of the puzzle, i guess. I can understand why they did that.

Well, i will judge when i get to Maddening eventually. Although bosses are already a pain (in a fun way) so them being unbreakable might be too much, dunno.

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Well, now being "unbreakable" is part of the puzzle, i guess. I can understand why they did that.

Well, i will judge when i get to Maddening eventually. Although bosses are already a pain (in a fun way) so them being unbreakable might be too much, dunno.

I just don't like it when harder difficulties go "hey you know that mechanic we designed our game around? Yeah well fuck you lol".

19 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

but it’s fun though

I’m still struggling with chapter 10 because now that I galaxy brain’d how to beat the last boss, I can’t for the life of me figure out how I cleared the first room, which was easy.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

For me that’s part of the puzzle, because bosses are strong enough that an attack from them + anyone else means like anyone would die, so usually I have to figure out how to trap bosses while keeping everyone alive and clearing out everyone else. I’ve been body blocking most every boss.

But I didn’t know that bosses were breakable on lower difficulties until I read about it, so I might just be used to if.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I just don't like it when harder difficulties go "hey you know that mechanic we designed our game around? Yeah well fuck you lol".

Yeah, fair, i understand.

At the same time, and although Bosses are a bigger presence this time around as usual, break can still be used with other enemies, which is like80% of the gameplay.

Now, if they said every enemy is unbreakable i would've agreed actually lol.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

You are not alone, it took me a good 30 minutes trying to figure out how to actually play the mini-game on emulator.

Glad to hear I've fellow sufferers on this.😄

A mandatory moment of minigame is unusual for Monolith. They couldn't squeeze in another scene of chatter to pass the time instead? Though I am thankful Monolith doesn't go heavier with these kinds of things, some JRPGs weren't so merciful.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

You aren't wrong, I've seen some people say they don't like Shion because they don't think she's likable. Plus a moment towards the end of the game but you aren't there yet.

I obviously don't feel this way, I do think she's one of the best characters in the series.

Bolded, it's not like I haven't been disappointed in a JRPG heroine at the last minute before. Fang.😕 And I try not to harbor lasting grudges towards fictional characters. Whatever happens, happens.

Underlined, if I don't quite get your perspective once I complete Episode III, I shall demand three paragraphs in prose explaining your position. Or you could keep it short by going the poetic route and write a tanka (5-7-5-7-7) instead.😛

...I've downloaded Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana BTW. I'll get to it right away. I've a tolerance (not perfect admittedly) for old games, and PS2-era isn't as old as Assyria just yet.

Some might question using these as the gateway to Atelier, given what they say of Gust diluting alchemy and creating a more typical JRPG in many ways with an Atelier gloss. But then, I chose Oldsona over the astronomically more popular Modern as my starting point there. Do not let it never be said that I didn't ever say I was not a fool.🙃

There being three AIs, if I wished to analyze them all, in part to impart knowledge of them unto you, then I have a lot of game to go.😅 And perhaps the Mana Khemia duology as well, since they are Atelier deviants as well, to the point of ditching the franchise's sacred name.

2 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

10/10 Fire Emblem game. Truly the most strategic and interesting of map design and enemy placement.

Fun fact- actual Medieval universities were used, in part, to train future bureaucrats for the Church and governments, including lawyers. Weapons on the other hand were forbidden on campus, and the arts of war had nothing to do with schools. In other words, Three Houses should've been an Ace Attorney game.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A mandatory moment of minigame is unusual for Monolith.

If i had a nickel for every time Monolith Soft forced a mini-game moment in a Xeno game, i'd have three nickels, which isn't a lot, it's just weird it's happened thrice.

• Gear arena thing in Xenogears
  • That one mini-game in Xenosaga Episode III
  • Tiger Tiger in Xenoblade 2
23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Some might question using these as the gateway to Atelier, given what they say of Gust diluting alchemy and creating a more typical JRPG in many ways with an Atelier gloss.

Ironically enough, Iris is probably closer to modern Atelier than the ones that came before it. You remember when i played Atelier Marie, the first game in the series. I quickly found out it's 90% sim, 10% RPG. For comparison, i'd say Persona 5 was more 60% sim, 40% RPG. Same for Three Houses. Rune Factory and Harvestella is like a 51/49 split.

Iris is more traditional RPG and then Rorona and onwards (well maybe Mana Khemia?) are full-on RPGs with the obviously heavy emphasis on crafting.

Edit: yeah there was that period where even modern Atelier had a calendar system but with the way it works, I wouldn't say modern Atelier had any sim elements.

Edited by Armagon

ynTePhY.jpg

This has been an FE since the very first game, but I still feel need to point out the absurdity of Bernie being too skittish to kill an animal but is totally fine with piercing multiple people's hearts out on a weekly basis in battle.

ZP3mv1X.jpg

It's scary how quick that one was.

AsrAklU.jpg

Man

THSHyhM.jpg

Gotta say, Byleth really nails the "Mild disappointment at seeing your dad being murdered" look.

8BaRp7l.jpg

I still call bullshit on this, there's no way Byleth shouldn't have been able to save Jeralt there.

EgET61d.jpg

Oh don't become one of those "Everything happens for a reason" evangelicals.

bf9Rzpu.jpg

Nothing says "I totally care about this character death" more than cracking jokes at his expense right there after.

5G2Fdjw.jpg

YcVK3Nb.jpg

Alright so here's the deal, right? I feel like Jeralt's death among other things doesn't land as well because of the lack of plot relevance he actually has to story. I like him as a character so his death stings a little bit but ultimately the story isn't losing anything by killing him off.

And sure, a character death should outweigh their potential in the story, but when said character has no potential at all, it can make the death feel worthless.

Jeralt clearly is suspicious of Rhea so I was surprised to see him never even look into it during the entire School part of the story.

I honestly think that if there was a side plot about him trying to find out what Rhea is up to and getting clues on the way and being killed right before he was about to tell you the great truth, then it would've been more impactful.

5xH0l8P.jpg

So much so that he referred to me as "child" in his diary as if I wasn't even his.

92wguWz.jpg

I don't even remember what this guy does, he dies literally the next chapter doesn't he?

PMgCAUG.jpg

I will say, Three Houses does do a good thing here in encouraging the main character to let it all out after experiencing grief instead of bottling it all in like so in previous games.

8Sx0kCd.jpg

That's another thing, Jeralt's prowess as a mercenary is something we're told, not shown, so it doesn't really feel like the main cast is losing a particularly powerful ally who up until this point protected the flood gates of danger

RoBroib.jpg42m8cLz.jpg

The voice acting on this generic soldiers honestly makes them sound more distraught at Jeralt's death than the entirety of the main cast.

ZtQBhtQ.jpg

Just edit Byleth looking at a spilled jug of milk and then you get a great meme.

7 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

I still call bullshit on this, there's no way Byleth shouldn't have been able to save Jeralt there.

Solon blocked Byleth's attack once and she said "it is what it is".

8 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

I feel like Jeralt's death among other things doesn't land as well because of the lack of plot relevance he actually has to story. I like him as a character so his death stings a little bit but ultimately the story isn't losing anything by killing him off

And he lives (sometimes) in Three Hopes from what i know so i guess you're right.

9 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

I will say, Three Houses does do a good thing here in encouraging the main character to let it all out after experiencing grief instead of bottling it all in like so in previous games.

Now if only Byleth could actually emote.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Solon blocked Byleth's attack once and she said "it is what it is".

I now have this funny picture where something else keeps happening every time Byleth rewinds.

You know, something similar is the current subject of the Apocrypha storyline of Another Eden. Let's just say someone did went mad after thousands of rewinds and nothing changing...

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I now have this funny picture where something else keeps happening every time Byleth rewinds

Eventually Byleth just accidentally hits Jeralt with the sword whip.

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

If i had a nickel for every time Monolith Soft forced a mini-game moment in a Xeno game, i'd have three nickels, which isn't a lot, it's just weird it's happened thrice.

• Gear arena thing in Xenogears
  • That one mini-game in Xenosaga Episode III
  • Tiger Tiger in Xenoblade 2

Still lighter and thus better than Final Fantasies VII to X-2. That's the era when Square went a little overboard with the great goodies they hid behind optional recreations. Also the period (especially VII & VIII) when momentary gimmicky events closer to minigames than puzzles showed up in the story. Something about "let's take advantage of new technology and expand the Final Fantasy experience in as many ways as possible", I think.

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Now if only Byleth could actually emote.

Be careful what you wish for.

emoticons.jpg?w=584

These are how Golden Sun: Dark Dawn chose to let Matthew express himself. His father Issac and uncle Felix were plain old silent portags in the first and second games respectively. Camelot's idea for letting Matthew speak despite silence, were these cartoony emojis. May I call it a half-measure that's ironically worst than none at all? These were an absurd idea, and I pity whoever had the good intentions that came up with them. Take the dead daddy situation that led you to write the above, pretend you could have Byleth respond to the murder by putting on a smiley face and everyone else took notice of it.

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ironically enough, Iris is probably closer to modern Atelier than the ones that came before it.

Hmm... well I suppose I have to begin somewhere to find out, off I go!😆

Edited by Interdimensional Observer