• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I may have taken several liberties with Jahn's character.

Anyway, we now know why they tried killing Melee tournaments. They're making their own. It's all about the money, babeh!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WHY DOES THE JUMP SOUND IN THAT MARIO GAME SOUND LIKE FARTS

Anyway, new Mario. And it's not New SMB. So that's amazing.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGI okay I'm sold

Oh my God Daisy! Daisy's in a game!

Okay that actually looks great.

Lmao whoever came up with the new Mario was so totally high. Regardless of what they tell you, the story is that Mario and friends have fun with substances.

…that’s about it tho. I’m happy for everyone who has something to be happy about. As always, there were one or two random games that looked mildly interesting but that’s about it.

A Mario game with actual imagination instead of another New SMB? Five whole playable characters and only one of them is Toad? Motherfuckin' Daisy is in a Mario platformer even if I'm still gonna play as Loogi probably?

Also the end lol. Why does the flower sound like Stewie Griffin?

...I'm just wonder... Why the fuck is that the jump sound though? I know it's the SMRPG sound, but it sounds so fucking bad compared to everything else lol

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Ikr?

My first reaction was like: 2D Mario in 2023 after Mario Maker, really?

Then they showed all this cool shit

My first reaction was "that looks kinda weird"

My second reaction was "THE SOUND"

Then they just wowed me. That actually looks like it could be the best Mario platformer since the New SMB craze. Who would've thought, all they had to do was try.

Just now, Sooks said:

Lmao whoever came up with the new Mario was so totally high. Regardless of what they tell you, the story is that Mario and friends have fun with substances.

…that’s about it tho. I’m happy for everyone who has something to be happy about. As always, there were one or two random games that looked mildly interesting but that’s about it.

"Mario, look what I made!"

"It's sand, Luigi! You didn't make it!"

Shakes head "It's meth! I cooked it!"

Anyway, I am of the opinion that Mario Maker doesn't really work as a replacement for 2D Mario, because for one, most people are shit at making levels, and two, you need Nintendo Online, and Nintendo Online is as we all know a war crime. So this is great to see.

...That being said, I do feel this game probably is the way it is due to Maker. More New SMB wouldn't fly anymore, because people can make that themselves now. They had to actually put imagination, heart and effort into this one to make it stand out and feel like the Mario game that you want to buy. Which is fine by me, it's about time we got another one of those.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That actually looks like it could be the best Mario platformer since the New SMB craze. Who would've thought, all they had to do was try.

tbf the 3D games have been all pretty good. Galaxies and Odyssey were both really creative

Now we finally get some creativity in 2D as well

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

tbf the 3D games have been all pretty good. Galaxies and Odyssey were both really creative

Now we finally get some creativity in 2D as well

I should've clarified that's what I meant. 3D Mario has been good (though Odyssey's starting to have its age and we're not seeing more...), but 2D has been unimaginative crap since like, 2009 with New SMB Wii? And that's being generous. You could go all the way back to the original New SMB and cut another 3 years.

Think about it. That might be the greatest Mario 2D platformer in almost 20 years, by default, because the competition is what it is. Not that I'm knocking it, of course - like I said, it looks great. Just the fact that Daisy finally got in a game lol Also they showed her strongmanning a Chargin' Chuck to appear to my sensibilities, which I appreciate

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

#DanaSquad

🤝😎

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I may have taken several liberties with Jahn's character.

He had one?

-Well yeah, he did. I was a little surprised to see you put him on your ranking of generic Binding bosses before. But Jahn's "I'm free of emotion FYI" is dull, and for as important to the plot as he is, he is a pretty poor villain. Not unsurprising by Binding/FE's standards, but that doesn't excuse him. Not helped by him being the one who gives Roy that terrible last-minute exposition dump, and ends up being just another Fire Manakete.

36 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh boy, the leaks were true. There's Super Mario RPG. It really wasn't just copium after all.

Sadly this is the Mario RPG with no Loogi so uh... Meh.

It also looks like it's just a graphical modernization, nothing new. I played this easy, weird, first attempt at a Mario RPG back a kid, so without anything new about it... debatable as an acquisition.

33 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And Peach, which is more interesting because hers is not a remaster. And it's hers. When was the last time? That one game on the DS nobody remembers? About time she got another game.

Hey, I do! 

Twas easy, twas mildly sexist with Peach having mood swings as a fundamental aspect of the gameplay, and the umbrella companion's backstory could've been less weirdly obtuse.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Shakes head "It's meth! I cooked it!"

It's clearly the effects of psilocybin- the active compound found in magic mushrooms.🍄🌈 Now the subject of genuinely serious medical research as a way of helping people with various mental (and maybe physical?) health issues.

And agreed SMBW is totally twisted, but good.

---

I didn't know what to expect going into this Direct, I kept my expectations low, I got little out of it. That's fine, I've that big backlog to work through.

Also, I could kinda tell that new XSEED game was from the company right away. XSEED is a subsidiary of Marvelous, and those cows were sooooooooo vintage Story of Seasons, what I heard just yesterday termed "bubble cows". The big beautifully bubbly bovines shall automatically save the game from being bad.🐮

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

though Odyssey's starting to have its age and we're not seeing more...

Switch 2 most likely

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

kept my expectations low, I got little out of it.

same

Then Mario dropped XD

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It also looks like it's just a graphical modernization, nothing new. I played this easy, weird, first attempt at a Mario RPG back a kid, so without anything new about it... debatable as an acquisition.

Well, totally fine by me. Could finally get it.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

He had one?

-Well yeah, he did. I was a little surprised to see you put him on your ranking of generic Binding bosses before. But Jahn's "I'm free of emotion FYI" is dull, and for as important to the plot as he is, he is a pretty poor villain. Not unsurprising by Binding/FE's standards, but that doesn't excuse him. Not helped by him being the one who gives Roy that terrible last-minute exposition dump, and ends up being just another Fire Manakete.

I put him in my ranking of generic bosses out of spite, to be fair. Otherwise, yeah, he's just an exposition bot at the very end of the game, and he hardly even qualifies as a boss. He's also a judgmental, holier-than-thou jerk despite his claims to be above emotion, so like...

Honestly, he's just an asshole. That's how I wrote him, initially. Then I randomly got the idea to give him character development.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My thoughts exactly. Yeah, neat that they're acknowledging it and bringing Geno back, but like... It's just a remaster. I don't care, sorry, I've played this game before.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Hey, I do! 

Twas easy, twas mildly sexist with Peach having mood swings as a fundamental aspect of the gameplay, and the umbrella companion's backstory could've been less weirdly obtuse.

Well, I do too! I brought it up, see?

That's about what I know of the game, yeah. Hoping the new one will finally do her justice. Maybe we'll get Battleaxe Peach in an actual game?

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And agreed SMBW is totally twisted, but good.

I'd go one step further and say it looks as good as it does because it seems completely unhinged. Imagination is one big thing 2D Mario platformers have lacked in the original New SMB. They've played it safe for long enough, and I'm glad they've decided to go a bit wilder with this entry.

One thing that saddens me a bit, however, is my own shallowness. When I was a kid I was so obsessed with Luigi, I would only play Mario games if I could play as him in any capacity. I am an adult now, and yet, watching this trailer, my big thought was "yeah good but WHERE LOOGI, DON'T TELL ME IT'S JUST MARIO" and I truly began to get excited when they showed Loogi playable on his lonesome. Some things never change, I suppose.

...Though the more I think about it, the more it feels Daisy might wrestle a few levels off of him. It's just too cool that she's there.

7 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Switch 2 most likely

F

Heck I was so distracted by Daisy I didn't even realize, this is a 2D Mario platformer where we don't rescue Peach. Pretty sure not counting Mario Land 1 (Daisy in that one basically just a reuncolored Peach), this is the first 2D platformer since Super Mario Bros 2 on the NES where she's actually been a playable character.

They really are throwing caution to the wind. Making Peach an actual character instead of the trophy at the end. Imagine that!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Also Yoshi seems both playable and rideable? NANI

Finally a true Sequel to Yoshi's Island?

Yeah I've rewatched the trailer a couple times and I'm really wondering what's up with Yoshi now. You think maybe the characters transform into Yoshi or something? There's one bit where you see all four players as Yoshis.

...The one part that irks me a little bit is where they glide, and Mario uses his cap, but Peach... pulls a pink cap out of her ass and uses that instead of her dress. Bit lazy lol, but it's a minor detail. I wonder if that's also a power-up. There's a lot that's unclear here. Will look forward to more details.

...Also in the game's website there's a goomba wearing Blue Toad's hat lol

Of course, it couldn't be me without some cynical remark, so...

At the part with the quadruple Yoshis, you can see the game a clear FPS drop.

A game like this should not lose FPS. Not only is this the last genre where you want to have FPS drops disrupting the gameplay, it also doesn't look like something that should drop FPS.

Nintendo, what the fuck. It seems to be caused by the long bullet bills with colored smoke trails, but like... Still, that's not gonna be a fun area to play if it chugs like that.

3 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

Well I guess I’ll have to put away my pitchfork and torch for the time being. The Mario RPG remake and Metal Gear Solid volume looks interesting.

Ah, of course, it had to be 20 years old or higher to calm your titties down, did it.

Hey, what did you think of the new Mario, then?