Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Incidentally, the Banner Saga trilogy (deluxe edition) is available for 12 bucks at Steam until the 13th. It is a great series of strategy games telling a continuous story with a dark tone, choices that matter and a delightful hand-drawn artstyle. Give it a shot if you feel like playing strategy games at all this summer, perhaps.

• Replies 179.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

And on the subject, time to continue through Valak.

Well, finishing the quests that opened up, then finish through Valak to reach Galahad Fortress.

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

A great video on the matter

And yeah it all started with the british. 

But tbf so are most of the world's current problems lol

Thanks for the vid! 

And as for problems, I believe a very sizable number of the countries that still have laws that criminalize "sodomy" on the books are former British colonies. I haven't heard anything about former French colonies having it so bad, maybe the French cultural stereotype of being chill with menage a trois and other forms of amorous deviancy are to be thanked for that.

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Also notice how they were like, the worst immigrants any country could ask for

The Brits? I'm reminded of one description I heard of the average of the British tourist- "nasty, brutish, and in shorts".

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

We need a Xenoblade Magical girl spin off

Naturally, being a magical girl spin off will make the main series look like a slice of life series Ü

Sure, why not?

-Provided some gender-bending gets thrown in there.😛 Not because of my inclinations, but because I was reading a review of a newly-released otome earlier today, and saw this paragraph.:

"What I also loved about Jack Jeanne is the level of acceptance. The cast is actually rather diverse, and everyone embraces the roles that suit them. The members of the Rhodonite class tend to wear dresses, skirts, and cute clothing, as well as bikinis during the summer break trip, and everyone is fine with it and supports them. During one event scene that involves some small children, there’s a little girl who wants to learn the “Jack” role, while the boy learns the “Jeanne” one. And they’re able to, without any negative stigmas. It’s a joy to play."

I could imagine a situation where young men are forced in female acting roles as being played for laughs. Wasn't assuming an otome would be wholly tactful about this.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, you should try grape juice. It's nicer.

Why not both? The Greeks and Romans would add must -fresh unfermented grape juice- to their wine, as they would herbs & spices, and honey. It was also a given in Greco-Roman drinking culture that you would dilute your wine with water first, anyone who didn't barbarians, commoners, women was considered rather foolish and quick to drunkenness.

I had two glasses of unfermented grape myself today.🍇 Diluted b/c it tastes just as sweet with equal parts water, commercial enterprises load it with way more sugar than is necessary. That, and white grape juice's foxy/musty flavor is too strong for me without dilution first.

The United States is where modern grape juice mass-production began. The temperance movement away from the Devil's drinks toward sobriety is to be thanked for that.

3 hours ago, Hectorcopter said:

I miss when life was simple…

I also miss this thread’s old, awkward, immature title, but that means nothing in the grand scheme of my meaningless, pathetic life.

You're not the only one who has ever felt that way, I would know.

But, life is still beautiful, cherish it.🙂

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sure, why not?

-Provided some gender-bending gets thrown in there.😛 Not because of my inclinations, but because I was reading a review of a newly-released otome earlier today, and saw this paragraph.:

"What I also loved about Jack Jeanne is the level of acceptance. The cast is actually rather diverse, and everyone embraces the roles that suit them. The members of the Rhodonite class tend to wear dresses, skirts, and cute clothing, as well as bikinis during the summer break trip, and everyone is fine with it and supports them. During one event scene that involves some small children, there’s a little girl who wants to learn the “Jack” role, while the boy learns the “Jeanne” one. And they’re able to, without any negative stigmas. It’s a joy to play."

I could imagine a situation where young men are forced in female acting roles as being played for laughs. Wasn't assuming an otome would be wholly tactful about this.

Unless they also physically change, that's not gender-bending, technically speaking.

Watching the Bandai Namco Anime Expo event. So far, such a dud, so much for "exciting announcements and game reveals".😴 The Baten Kaitos remaster was given the first showing of Namco's event, which is nice, I love seeing them brought into the light of day again. But I know that duology waaaaaay too well for it to be personally new & exciting.🥱 I'm still lamenting the loss of English VAs for Milly and Guillo too.

15 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Unless they also physically change, that's not gender-bending, technically speaking.

Whatevs!😛 I was just looking for a quick phrase that got what I generally meant across.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Watching the Bandai Namco Anime Expo event. So far, such a dud, so much for "exciting announcements and game reveals".😴 The Baten Kaitos remaster was given the first showing of Namco's event, which is nice, I love seeing them brought into the light of day again. But I know that duology waaaaaay too well for it to be personally new & exciting.🥱 I'm still lamenting the loss of English VAs for Milly and Guillo too.

Ah right, that was today.

30 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Brits?

Zionists

Well, the Brits were colonizers and killers, so they are definetly bad lol

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That's not genderbending tho. That's crossdressing

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ah yes, Something-Like-A-Remote-Part-Of-Europe. Lovely place.

I really like the Something-Like-Food-From-Remote-Part-Of-Europe, really tasty.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Blame the British.

Modern-wise yes I think but the conflict itself stretches back millennia I believe.

4 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Go play a good game

Oath, Ark or Celceta, which one should I go for (also why are there two versions of Olivier, one genderbent, in Oath)?

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

watched all the movies and enjoyed them, even Crystal Skull

Crystal Skull hate has always been overblown. People's issues with it are "but the fridge" and "but aliens" and that's it. And the CGI too maybe.

Is it as good as Raiders and Last Crusade? No. But it's still good. It's not like the Prequels where it puts me in a coma.

Unbelievable. They actually broke the entire site to try and force a few folks to make an account.

It's also because this

20230701_201140.jpg

MrcEqz4.png

Common John Brown W

I don't actually know if this true but I wouldn't put it passed him.

4 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

And yeah it all started with the british. 

But tbf so are most of the world's current problems lol

The specific clip at 0:30 sums it up pretty well I think

Edited by GuardianSing

4 hours ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

The hell am I supposed to do now? I can’t be sober!!!

Then go hit the damn likker store... Lol 

4 hours ago, Hectorcopter said:

I miss when life was simple…

I also miss this thread’s old, awkward, immature title, but that means nothing in the grand scheme of my meaningless, pathetic life.

Live life on your terms. Thats never pathetic or meaningless 

You're such a poser. I'll bet that's not even wine, that's red grape juice. I drink that a lot, it's the closest thing to a drink I can order at a bar that has no alcohol, doesn't taste like shit and doesn't have mountains of sugar in it.

Some of us here in the States that are of varying degrees of the “redneck” persuasion use “grape juice” as slang for wine

I dont drink it myself. If it aint my occasional beer I need something stronger

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oath, Ark or Celceta, which one should I go for?

Oath is the best of em, so i think you should leave it for last.

Although i think out of those you will like Celceta the most, due it's not as harsh level system and party system - is my least fav. tho. Or my 2nd least fav. After Ark

Ark is the first game with Origin and Oath's gameplay system...and it shows. It's really clunky and has some weird stuff (super late warp item, dash jump, etc.).

Did you play Ys 1/2? Some story shenanigans in Oath, Celceta and Ark are much better with Ys 1/2 as they are all part of the Eldeen Saga. They are not a must tho, the games are standalone completely fine

(also why are there two versions of Olivier, one genderbent, in Oath)

b9VMxmv.jpg

Wait until you head to Sara's ancesteral home

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

Ys and it's current on going plots:

Eldeen stuff: Ys Origin/1/2/Oath/Ark/Celceta

Tritheism: Ys 7/8

??: Ys 9, Ys 5? Something with Alchemy?

Although i suspect Ys 5 remake might be a "Tritheism" game. Who knows.

All games: Romun Empire.

40 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Zionists

TBF, their ideas were born in 1800s-early 1900s Europe. The nation-state was the geopolitical master noun of the era. The political class of the time was obsessed with nationalism's ability to make people feel like they fit in and produce great culture. A political class that was entirely coldhearted towards, ignorant to, or embracing of the dark side of nationalism- that of its treatment of other nations and those who think they belong to a nation but are denied membership by others. A dark side that would take perhaps the Holocaust to truly bring to light -except the serious modern conversation about the Holocaust didn't begin until decades after WWII.

Then there is the thorny issue of land. Political zionism inherited the then-contemporary West's disregard for native inhabitants of territory (Manifest Destiny and all). They wrongly assumed "empty" land existed at this point in human history, and if it wasn't a vacuum, well if the natives didn't "improve" the land or follow the right religion or whatnot, then they didn't deserve the land they "squatted" upon.

They drank from a poisoned fountain of "wisdom", and so became another agent of Europe's era of egotistical folly.

40 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

That's not genderbending tho. That's crossdressing

I get it I get it, I misspoke, sorry!😅 I had already written a ton and had my eyes distracted, desperately looking for a trace of SRW in a livestream (and I got exactly none, boo; no new Tales either despite the franchise probably being due for one -but then I'm behind by two there so I'm not so hungering on that franchise).

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Although i think out of those you will like Celceta the most, due it's not as harsh level system and party system - is my least fav. tho. Or my 2nd least fav. After Ark

Is it wrong to be looking forward to playing Celceta then? I did see this last month.:

1st place: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
2nd place: Ys I & II Chronicles
3rd place: Ys IX: Monstrum Nox
4th place: Ys: The Oath of Felghana
5th place: Ys SEVEN
6th place: Ys Origin
7th place: Ys III: Wanderers from Ys
8th place: Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim
9th place: Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand
9th place: Ys: Memories of Celceta

https://noisypixel.net/ys-japanese-survey-reveals-favorite-games/?expand_article=1

🙁

Modern-wise yes I think but the conflict itself stretches back millennia I believe.

Nope.

Were the Jews ever happy that the Romans destroyed the Second Temple? Were they ever perfectly happy with Christian rule of Jerusalem, or later Muslim? No, they probably would've liked the days of Solomon and Judea to return in their idyllic dreams, or for the Messiah to finally arrive. But they got to grips with the geopolitical reality, there hasn't been an unbroken chain of inconclusive wars going back thousands of years. Heck, Jewish in Europe religious leaders originally opposed political zionism, which was secular in origin, the founder political zionists even considered a Jewish state in Africa -but couldn't escape the inevitable allure of the ancestral homeland.

The idea of "conflict as old as time, something-something rhyme, Israel and Arabs🎵" is factually incorrect. It sounds nice b/c the modern conflict seems utterly unresolvable, but it is simply incorrect.

-My apologies for the assertiveness. -But think on the bright side, but if the conflict is truly only century old or so, maybe there is a faint hope of peaceful resolution with coexistence somewhere in the boundless darkness.😃 -As dim as that hope has gone since the 90s when it actually seemed possible.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Oh wow even below Ys 5? The game that almost killed the series?

Celceta is seen as weak title for many reasons:

- It's gameplay is Ys 7, but worse. Boss design is super weak

- Difficulty was also super low

- Those who played the original Ys 4 (i am not one of those), find Celceta a pretty weak remake. Compared with Oath and Chronicles which are seen as the definitive and best editions of Ys1/2/3

- Story wise, the ending was lol

- Also has the worst Heroine in the series if you ask many

Ofc you can look forward it. Opinions are funny like that :D

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

They drank from a poisoned fountain of "wisdom", and so became another agent of Europe's era of egotistical folly.

Unlike Europeans tho they still colonize and murder the inhabitants of the land to this day

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The idea of "conflict as old as time, something-something rhyme, Israel and Arabs🎵" is factually incorrect. It sounds nice b/c the modern conflict seems utterly unresolvable, but it is simply incorrect.

Yup.

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Unlike Europeans tho they still colonize and murder the inhabitants of the land to this day

I don't disagree with that. The Israeli government needs to respect the internationally-agreed division of the territory, so, stop it with the settlements. Those don't contribute to any justifiable defense against Palestinian attacks, contrariwise, they only provide more fuel for the fire that keeps this conflict burning.

27 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Oh wow even below Ys 5? The game that almost killed the series?

Care to explain?🤓

The history of development/reception/direction/impact within video game franchises interests me as much as IRL history does, I'm all ears.🍿

11 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

- Difficulty was also super low

Not a total turnoff for me. I'm a Musou-Kirby-SRW fan after all, I don't require masochism in my games. I might complain a little when things are too easy to acknowledge the facts (Rune Factory 5 for instance), but rather that than demoralizing brutality for me.

19 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

- Also has the worst Heroine in the series if you ask many

...Now this, Aprilis and Rough Draft Dana already felt like disappointments to me. This could sting like a 4 on the Schmidt pain index.😬

31 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Ofc you can look forward it. Opinions are funny like that 😄

Maybe I'll slip it in soon then. Been annoying me, sitting in the unplayed section of my Steam library.😄

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

INot a total turnoff for me. I'm a Musou-Kirby-SRW fan after all, I don't require masochism in my games. I might complain a little when things are too easy to acknowledge the facts (Rune Factory 5 for instance), but rather that than demoralizing brutality for me....

Ghosts n Goblins for the NES. THAT was demoralizing brutality

Never could get the good ending in that one, Running through that mess once in one sitting was quite enough

Did you play Ys 1/2?

This will entirely depend on if i vibe with the Bump System or not. I'll have to try it out. If i don't vibe with it, i'll end up having to skip those two titles. Like how i had to skip Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks during my Zelda-thon because i did not vibe with how they played.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, because if there's something cool in it, i'd be missing out on it.

Some story shenanigans in Oath, Celceta and Ark are much better with Ys 1/2 as they are all part of the Eldeen Saga. They are not a must tho, the games are standalone completely fine

I'll be fine.

??: Ys 9, Ys 5? Something with Alchemy?

Can't believe Ryza's the mastermind.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Is it wrong to be looking forward to playing Celceta then? I did see this last month.:

https://noisypixel.net/ys-japanese-survey-reveals-favorite-games/?expand_article=1

🙁

I like how all the games have titles and then there's just Ys Seven.

Nope.

Were the Jews ever happy that the Romans destroyed the Second Temple? Were they ever perfectly happy with Christian rule of Jerusalem, or later Muslim? No, they probably would've liked the days of Solomon and Judea to return in their idyllic dreams, or for the Messiah to finally arrive. But they got to grips with the geopolitical reality, there hasn't been an unbroken chain of inconclusive wars going back thousands of years. Heck, Jewish in Europe religious leaders originally opposed political zionism, which was secular in origin, the founder political zionists even considered a Jewish state in Africa -but couldn't escape the inevitable allure of the ancestral homeland.

Thank you for the clarification.

But think on the bright side, but if the conflict is truly only century old or so, maybe there is a faint hope of peaceful resolution with coexistence somewhere in the boundless darkness.😃 -As dim as that hope has gone since the 90s when it actually seemed possible.

I mean Britain and France were at each other's necks for like eons, even fought a war lasting 100 years over it. And yet they are on good terms now. Anything's possible.

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Care to explain?🤓

The history of development/reception/direction/impact within video game franchises interests me as much as IRL history does, I'm all ears.🍿

All i know is that whatever happened to Ys 9 caused it's placement in the canon to be dubious. Until a remake happens, nobody knows for sure.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Like how i had to skip Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks during my Zelda-thon because i did not vibe with how they played

Not too surprising, honestly. 

10 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Not too surprising, honestly. 

I wish i didn't because Spirit Tracks in particular is one of the most interesting games in the series and it has a top 3 incarnation of Zelda

spirit-tracks-link.gif

spirit-tracks-link.gif

2979eaaebedbcb83cd3735493e2c28d3.gif

And yet this is how the game plays

959019_20090602_790screen010.jpg?auto=we

Why did it have to be this way, the game came out in 2009, the era of forcing the touch screen gimmick was over.

This and Phantom Hourglass both at least need Skyward Sword HD-type remasters where i can play with traditional button controls.

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I wish i didn't because Spirit Tracks in particular is one of the most interesting games in the series and it has a top 3 incarnation of Zelda

spirit-tracks-link.gif

spirit-tracks-link.gif

Why did it have to be this way, the game came out in 2009, the era of forcing the touch screen gimmick was over.

This and Phantom Hourglass both at least need Skyward Sword HD-type remasters where i can play with traditional button controls.

Is that a NDS game? 

Some of those got this “stylus” thing that you need. There’s a Ninja Gaiden game for that system that I dunno if is even possible to play on a emulator because of that

2 minutes ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Is that a NDS game? 

Mm. While touch screen controls were shoehorned in for a lot of DS games, the worst of it was in the early days (and even then, Mario 64 DS let you play with the d-pad). For a 2009 game to force you to play it with touch screen is just....why.

Adult Timeline as a whole is like the only true Zelda trilogy at the moment and it sucks i can't experience 2/3rds of it.

12 minutes ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Ghosts n Goblins for the NES. THAT was demoralizing brutality

Never could get the good ending in that one, Running through that mess once in one sitting was quite enough

I've never watched an LP for that game, I think I need to correct that when I'm bored.😄 Curious how difficult this infamous game is. Maybe b/c the player I'd be watching would be a expert at the game so they'd make it look easy, but then, watching a playthrough of Battletoads, I could feel how the Turbo Tunnel would go down in history as one of the nefarious levels in all of video games. 

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean Britain and France were at each other's necks for like eons, even fought a war lasting 100 years over it. And yet they are on good terms now. Anything's possible.

On this, it goes back to the Norman Conquest of 1066. Prior to that, England was tied into the Scandinavian realm of European affairs, there were actually two Kings of Denmark who sat on the English throne. Conquest by Normandy and the end of the Viking era with the thorough Christianization of Scandinavia and the death of Harald Hardrada when he invaded England in 1066, resulted in a major change of cultural-political direction for England.

Normandy, later Anjou, then Aquitaine, the kings of England ended up with substantial French possessions, possibly even more territory than the Kings of France controlled. It was kinda impossible to not get drawn into war with France and a desire to control the rest of the country at that point. England gained, then England heavily lost French territory, and then England spotted a succession opportunity to claim the French throne and pressed it- causing the Hundred Years' War (begins in 1337). England won, then lost, then won again, and ultimately got sent on the path to ultimate defeat by the mid-late 1400s (1453 being the last year of the war). There were breaks in the decades of fighting along the way, including the Black Death, both sides ran into periodic internal issues too.

After the Hundred Years' War, it's fair to say England stopped being a European great power, and would not regain that status until the late 1600s/1700s. (France for its part struggled too, the French Wars of Religion would weaken the Valois dynasty and the rival Habsburg dynasty sat on both the Spanish and Holy Roman thrones, surrounding France to the south, east, and even in the north b/c the Habsburgs owned Belgium & the Netherlands.) Technically, England held onto French land until Mary I aka "Bloody Mary", when she lost the Pale of Calais. English monarchs would continue to officially if ineffectually claim the French throne for centuries thereafter, I think until the French Revolution/Napoleonic Wars, they might've dropped the claim at that point in support of the exiled Bourbon dynasty.

France and England remained antagonistic after the Hundred Years' War on the whole, despite the occasional attempt of diplomacy, like Henry VIII throwing the grand party known as the "Field of the Cloth of Gold" in the Pale of Calais. Scotland sometimes entered alliance with France, seeing how both stood to benefit from crushing England. The Protestant Reformation added a new dimension to the opposition between England and France.

Relations cooled I think during the reign of Charles II (1660-1685) ...but he had spent his exile (daddy lost a civil war and got beheaded, Cromwell became "Lord dictator Protector") in France and was a closet Catholic. Once his brother the openly Catholic James II got kicked out, William III (his native Netherlands were threatened by French conquest under the powerful Louis XIV) & Mary II got in and kicked off what has been informally called the "Second Hundred Years War" (1689-1815) with France. France in return would for a while advocate for the restoration of James II and his Catholic descendants (Mary II and Anne were his Protestant daughters) to the British throne.

After Napoleon was banished, well Britain turned away from continental Europe towards its overseas Empire. Tensions with France might've lingered b/c their history as rivals, but French ambitions to conquer the entire European continent were gone and that was generally good enough. Britain didn't want France like it had in the Middle Age, it had the glorious Empire, all it needed was to keep Europe divided with a proper power balance, because if a single country controlled the entire continent, then surely Britain be invaded next and under serious threat (WWII belatedly proved this). A unified Germany later became France's biggest fear and for the above reason wasn't irrelevant to Britain (which didn't like having a big army, an allied France could provide that). And a modernizing Russia posed a potential threat to the security of the British Empire, Afghanistan served as a buffer state that kept Russia a distance away from India (which included modern Pakistan).

So that explains that.😜

Oh, and one positive thing to emerge from this long rivalry was linguistic connections during the High Middle Ages. Norman French brought French and Latin vocabulary into English, and the French became aware of the Welsh-later-English hero known as "Arthur". Once the French got their hands on King Arthur, they got to writing their own fanfiction and one dude named Troyes decided "We need a French knight who is TOTALLY AWESOME!", and thus Lancelot was invented. Rather than invent an awesome woman for him, the French preferred to just make him so handsome that the lovely Guinevere would cheat on her English husband.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I like how all the games have titles and then there's just Ys Seven.

If I had to invent a subtitle, maybe "The Tribes of Altago", that seems appropriate.

Seven was a gameplay paradigm-shift for Ys. Maybe at the time they thought that having a simple title would indicate freshness and newness via directness, whereas something longer would sound drawn out and old?🤔

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

spirit-tracks-link.gif

spirit-tracks-link.gif

As someone who played through this game in it's entirety, yeah I agree.

I tolerated the touch screen for most of it but it was definitely getting on my nerves by the end

On the topic of the DS games though, I really wish Linebeck became a recurring character in the series in the same vain as Beetle or Tingle. Like could you imagine him in Breath of the Wild doing whatever.

Course now that I say that I'm going to play Tears of the Kingdom and learn he's in that one