Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

jDEPb5s.png

Must've got the cheek bones from his mother.

ulYljoN.png

See now I wish they tried to make every sentence rhyme.

kIoTwZD.png

The two towers, Lotr, Engagement portraits

kGfwXaU.png

You're just as beautiful as the day I lost you.

LDAOVQt.png

Hey would it be racist to assume you guys are related.

WBlBvow.png

So like, in a game where they give me a bunch of promoted units pretty much right off the bat, I have to imagine the difficulty curve in this game is insane.

rbH14HG.png

Hornets do indeed have hairs but they are so tiny you can barely notice them with the naked eye which implies this guy got a real good close up of a hornet at some point.

QhdFuvs.png

So I couldn't get a screenshot of it because it happened so fast but you'll have to believe me when I say that the enemy manged to get crits three separate times on my allies, killing them instantly.

aoMRCI5.pngnjnGSAt.png

So is it bad that I feel this game has done a better job establishing the culture of Daein within the first five chapters than Three Houses did for all of it's nations across the entire main story?

wCDQbfo.png

Nice hat

8T5HrAD.png

Fire Emblem: Radiant Bisexual.

• Replies 177.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

7 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

So is it bad that I feel this game has done a better job establishing the culture of Daein within the first five chapters than Three Houses did for all of it's nations across the entire main story?

It's cause you actually get to go there.

7 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

So like, in a game where they give me a bunch of promoted units pretty much right off the bat, I have to imagine the difficulty curve in this game is insane.

Less that and more due to the game's structure. A lot of the Dawn Brigade ends up falling off.

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

You're just as beautiful as the day I lost you.

It's kinda amusing that, for whatever reason, she and Ilyana remain Tier 1 despite every other returnee so far is Tier 2 already.

I don't think the game is trying... considering things.

Then again, that veil and hood is at least something.

I think it says more regarding the cast... maybe.

I'd say no... but perhaps the focus is just different?

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I wouldn't say this is entirely incorrect. It is true that as long you keep an APC or two around, ammo & fuel are nonissues for land units. In Famicom Wars and Super Famicom Wars, resupplying did cost a tiny bit of funds, but it was marginal really. Air and naval units do have greater worries, but easily manageable. Unless you're a Sub, or worse, the Dual Strike exclusive Stealth Fighter. 60 fuel tank, 6 move, burns 5 fuel per turn simply for being a plane, that's upwards of 11 fuel per turn right there. But what use is a Stealth Fighter that isn't in stealth mode? That's an extra 3 fuel per turn, so 14, nearly one-quarter of the tank! Hardly capable of flying over Blue Moon for a few hours doing aerial reconnaissance, they practically have to be glued to APCs.

The one medieval-themed indie AW knockoff Wargroove did ditch fuel and ammo (barring for like one or two units added in the co-op campaign). I can't say the decision was a bad one, even if it didn't mean a whole lot positive to me either.

I can see how that plane would have issues, but really, fuel just wasn't that big a deal in general. AW units don't exactly have the largest life expectancy in general, you'll often run out of life before ammo or fuel.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

It is good in Zelda

I mean, I've seen a lot of opinions to the contrary

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

and also stuff like Minecraft

Ehhhh. There I find it even more of an annoyance, to be honest. It basically just boils down to "stop in the middle of a cave to smelt iron because your last pickaxe broke, also I hope you remembered to bring wood with you."

I prefer how Terraria does it, where weapons never break and by default you don't lose your stuff on death either, but there's like a million tiers so the entire game is a constant upwards hill of equipment upgrades. But then, that game has a lot more focus on equipment than Minecraft does with its paltry six tiers, three of which don't even matter.

2 hours ago, gnip said:

3qQAME5.jpg

It's such a fucking hideous outfit. Like, yeah, I get it, haha horny outfit, we like it because horny. But you can be a horny outfit and look good. It's possible. I'd argue it's even more effective if it looks good. This is the caveman's approach at designing an eye candy character. Thank goodness for the mod.

2 hours ago, gnip said:

Also unrelated: Sten mentioned in a recent conversation conversation that the Qunari aren't so much a society with a highly collectivist ethos, they are a society with a highly collectivist ethos enforced by the priest caste by brainwashing educating the children. That... doesn't bode too well for future appearances, especially because he also alluded to plans of the Qunari to invade Ferelden (and by "allude" I mean that he presents it as an inevitable event).

Sten kept saying so many ominous things.

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

At least embedding Xcrements still works. Or whatever they are called now.

That's a great name.

Anyway, going hard on the Zelda CDI vibe. It's funny how they've nailed the atmosphere so well that there are people who actually believe the game's gonna be bad on purpose. I mean, I don't know if it's going to be a masterpiece, but you can tell from just the trailer that that's not the case lol

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Also, I can't get over the fact they named him Cristo in the English NES version...

Ah, yes, my favorite videogame character: C R I S T O

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Tbf, except if you went full Silver spam on EP, you using them won't uselessfy your units.

Silvers were super situational. The real shitter were the legendaries, though. On top of the fact that they barely exist and are only available to one class per weapon, using them halves your power and you can't even wait it out, you have to eat shit in a round of combat before going back to normal. Those weapons did not need to be neutered so hard.

And other debuffs could be cleared by attack stancing, not to mention attack stancing doesn't trigger them in the first place.

That's more a testament to attack stance being fucking awesome than any merit of the debuffs, though. Fates's incarnation of pair-up and its adjacent mechanics was one of the greatest game-specific additions to the series.

I do agree tho that the debuff recover was a pain. Making it recover whole in one turn instead of 1 stat/turn will fix alot!

Now inevitable end will be a true anti juggernaut tool and not a "this unit is now useless forever if they even live" thing

I really do hope for a Fates 2. I had my fun with Engage, but to be completely honest, at this point, I think I'd prefer a more refined Fates 2 than an Engage 2.

From what i remember she's one of the strongest Party Members in Ys history

Hey, unrelated, but every time I see that name I can't help but wonder. Is it supposed to be pronounced Yeesh, or Whys? Something else?

39 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

kIoTwZD.png

The two towers, Lotr, Engagement portraits

Eyup. Pretty much.

LDAOVQt.png

You're playing a Japanese videogame.

rbH14HG.png

Hornets do indeed have hairs but they are so tiny you can barely notice them with the naked eye which implies this guy got a real good close up of a hornet at some point.

A hornet stung him in the eye. That is the day he became evil.

wCDQbfo.png

Nice hat

I do also love the Begnion senators' sense of fashion. Wish they all kept the hats in this game, most of them took it off since their cameo in PoR, and only Literally Hitler overhere kept it.

WBlBvow.png

Well, it... handles itself differently than the average FE. More on that in due time, though.

8T5HrAD.png

Fire Emblem: Radiant Bisexual.

Fallen in love for another husbando already? There's a name for that, you know. It's Oliver.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, yes, my favorite videogame character: C R I S T O

I'd say, it almost feels like someone had pent-up frustrations over all the religious censoring, they finally snapped and went: "There, I just named him Christ!"

I mean, his Japanese name, Clift, could've been fine. But no, he gets renamed to... Cristo. The priest. Uh huh.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

using them halves your power and you can't even wait it out, you have to eat shit in a round of combat before going back to normal.

attack stance cleared them btw.

So no waiting, just attack stance and bam, they are gone.

S rank was a pain to get tho lol. I only ever like, used Pursuit and Excalibur (with Odin in Rev).

Also not all Legendaries halved the stats.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I really do hope for a Fates 2. I had my fun with Engage, but to be completely honest, at this point, I think I'd prefer a more refined Fates 2 than an Engage 2.

I want something kinda inbetween? XD

I still prefer Fates more, but there're some stuff i prefer more in Engage. Ie unit types, Engage mechanics and better staff access.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey, unrelated, but every time I see that name I can't help but wonder. Is it supposed to be pronounced Yeesh, or Whys? Something else?

Ees

Like East without the T

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, it almost feels like someone had pent-up frustrations over all the religious censoring, they finally snapped and went: "There, I just named him Christ!"

I mean, his Japanese name, Clift, could've been fine. But no, he gets renamed to... Cristo. The priest. Uh huh.

They should've named someone else Jesús to go along with it.

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

attack stance cleared them btw.

So no waiting, just attack stance and bam, they are gone.

Oh, I didn't know that. Interesting.

S rank was a pain to get tho lol. I only ever like, used Pursuit and Excalibur (with Odin in Rev).

Also not all Legendaries halved the stats.

I guess I didn't know because I've only ever used Hans's hammer with Charlotte once. Every other situation the legendary either wasn't available or I had nobody to use it.

I want something kinda inbetween? XD

I still prefer Fates more, but there're some stuff i prefer more in Engage. Ie unit types, Engage mechanics and better staff access.

Unit types needed to be less rigid. When the mechanic was revealed I was hoping for same classes with different types to mix things up. Instead it's basically just a class skill but less varied since a bunch of classes share them. Not to mention cavalier and flying being basically just flavor text and the awful distribution - too many back-ups, too few armored and qi-masters. Good idea, but the execution could be much, much improved.

Engage mechanics are cool. They probably shouldn't be as game-defining as in Engage, it's true that the units sometimes end up feeling a bit too samey since the game relies so much on the rings, but this concept of the super-transformation is great.

Better staff access though, absolutely. We've discussed this plenty.

Ees

Like East without the T

I see. Thanks.

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

mean, I've seen a lot of opinions to the contrary

Those people are weak and won't survive the winter. Every criticism of Zelda durability I've seen boils down to "but my cool weapons" which is basically just hoarder mentality. There's no moment in either game where it's gonna suck if you don't have specific weapon.

With BotW there is the argument that enemies take longer to defeat and so fighting them for more weapons isn't worth it but that's moreso the fault of the enemies being too tanky later on than the durability itself.

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey, unrelated, but every time I see that name I can't help but wonder. Is it supposed to be pronounced Yeesh, or Whys? Something else

Related but the one I'm playing takes place in Ispani, which is literally just Not Spain. Ys world is funny because they for the most part just take a place that exists and swaps a letter.

So yes Ruben, there is an anime RPG that takes place in Spain.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

too many back-ups

Kinda insane honestly. It's great that they gave infantry a better niche but not everyone needed to be Backup.

Just now, Armagon said:

Those people are weak and won't survive the winter. Every criticism of Zelda durability I've seen boils down to "but my cool weapons" which is basically just hoarder mentality. There's no moment in either game where it's gonna suck if you don't have specific weapon.

With BotW there is the argument that enemies take longer to defeat and so fighting them for more weapons isn't worth it but that's moreso the fault of the enemies being too tanky later on than the durability itself.

Actually, I've seen the argument that it's not like it's difficult or anything, it's just annoying as hell.  And to be honest, that does kinda sound like it'd discourage fighting and encourage speedrunning straight to the objective. Reminds me of Sticker Star, where fighting was just plain undesirable because you lost your stickers to no gain.

Just now, Armagon said:

Related but the one I'm playing takes place in Ispani, which is literally just Not Spain. Ys world is funny because they for the most part just take a place that exists and swaps a letter.

I am so very happy for anime.

Just now, Armagon said:

Kinda insane honestly. It's great that they gave infantry a better niche but not everyone needed to be Backup.

The whole mechanic just feels like a bit of an afterthought, honestly. Not enough types, not varied enough and they needed to switch things up more.

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Unit types needed to be less rigid. When the mechanic was revealed I was hoping for same classes with different types to mix things up. Instead it's basically just a class skill but less varied since a bunch of classes share them. Not to mention cavalier and flying being basically just flavor text and the awful distribution - too many back-ups, too few armored and qi-masters. Good idea, but the execution could be much, much improved.

Oh i agree with this. Alot.

Class system in Engage itself was bad. Not 3H bad, but not really good. It's the main reason i put it below Fates, honestly.

Then again comparing almost any gameplay system anywhere to Fates would end up with Fates clearing lol.

But if had Fates' class variety with Engage's unit Types, it would've been super cool honestly.

Alternatively, make unit types a personal thing and not based on class.

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

, it's true that the units sometimes end up feeling a bit too samey since the game relies so much on the rings

Blame this again on the class system tbh

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Oh i agree with this. Alot.

Class system in Engage itself was bad. Not 3H bad, but not really good. It's the main reason i put it below Fates, honestly.

Then again comparing almost any gameplay system anywhere to Fates would end up with Fates clearing lol.

But if had Fates' class variety with Engage's unit Types, it would've been super cool honestly.

Yeah, Fates is unbeaten with its class system. Insane amount of classes, all super varied and creative, the two main factions get their own bunch of themed classes, no genderlocks, it's just all sorts of win.

Alternatively, make unit types a personal thing and not based on class.

I had thought this'd be the case when the game was coming out. Probably woulda been for the best.

Blame this again on the class system tbh

Yeah, reclassing being as free as it is means the game fell for one of the classic blunders: It takes away from the characters' identity. Coupled with how shit most of the personal skills are, the question ends up being about the class/emblem synergy rather than the character themself, with a few exceptions who do get their own unique niches due to having actually decent personals.

...I can't believe I'm about to say this, but Fates handled it better by allowing freedom of reclass, but making you work toward it by having to marry for it. The cringe dating sim side was a good thing for Fates's gameplay. Fuck my life.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And to be honest, that does kinda sound like it'd discourage fighting and encourage speedrunning straight to the objective. Reminds me of Sticker Star, where fighting was just plain undesirable because you lost your stickers to no gain.

The difference is that enemies drop weapons when you kill them. So there's always a constant supply.

And then in TotK, the monster drops are even better because now you can fuse that to your stuff. It's not at all like Sticker Star because Sticker Star hardly gave you anything for your losses.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Class system in Engage itself was bad

I wouldn't say bad but idk why it needed to do the Judgral/Tellius thing of having weapon variants types of different classes.

33 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And long before Paldea was a thing, pft.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's time. I knew it would come eventually, but I just don't know how I can bear this...

Spoiler

It's time for Daddy War Crimes to defect from the team as I pursue the revolting fairy tale ending. Ugh... Leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, it does, but I must do this if I want to see all the endings of the funny title game.

27 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

he two main factions get their own bunch of themed classes

That really really needs to return sometime.

IS pls

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

but Fates handled it better by allowing freedom of reclass, but making you work toward it by having to marry for it. The cringe dating sim side was a good thing for Fates's gameplay.

You can say that about alot of stuff in Fates XD

Like kids. Sucks in the plot, but the flexibility they bring with the gameplay and the stuff you can cook up with. Dayum

Also Soleil's map clears every route map in the series

34 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I can see how that plane would have issues, but really, fuel just wasn't that big a deal in general. AW units don't exactly have the largest life expectancy in general, you'll often run out of life before ammo or fuel.

That depends I think. Unless I'm doing Mech spam, I've tended to find myself losing relatively few units in all my recent AW versus mode matches. Perhaps I've been playing too conservatively, if I'd been ranked, I probably would've lost a few points on turns taken. That, and injured unit merges don't count as deaths, which have the benefit of combining unit fuel & ammo too, mitigating the issue in a different way. 

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, Fates is unbeaten with its class system. Insane amount of classes, all super varied and creative, the two main factions get their own bunch of themed classes, no genderlocks, it's just all sorts of win.

-I deduct points for the lack of Oni Savage. The only natural one is Rinkah and she's thoroughly mediocre and quite bad to start. For Heart Savages, we have Hinata, Hayato, and Fuga, the former is terribad, the second is actually okay judging from the averages -minus nonexistent Skl, and the third has lolRevelation availability. For you, Kumagera might be enuf on Conquest, but I would've liked another Oni. Probably a Chieftain with good hybrid offense and decent tanking abilities.

Also on Oni- Blacksmith is also basically a worse Hero, which we didn't really need, and is probably the most forgotten class in terms of gameplay (you fight them how many times?). No idea how to buff Blacksmith, katanas & clubs make some sense for them as weapons with the club standing in for a forging hammer. But then, clubs are probably the weapon least in need of forging, a big stick can be a club without need of human manipulation. You can't have a katana or naginata or arrowhead or shuriken without proper sharpening. Yet bows seem too dainty for a Blacksmith (ignoring the fact that FE Warriors have long had the bizarre ability to use Bows (Yes, I know real bows demand strong arms, contrary to them being archetype'd for agile and dainty characters in RPGs.), and Warriors don't exist in Fates b/c Berserker got grafted onto Fighter), and Shuriken are simply too small. Pairing Blacksmiths with Naginatas would make them infantry Generals, but perhaps intrude on Spear Fighter. Do we ditch Blacksmith and replace them with something else? But what? And it needs to be a club user. I would say Blacksmith would be amazingly fun and historically flavorful with tanegashimas -but there is one serious problem with that.

Plus, the Fates skill system inherited from Awakening is bad b/c the fun can't start until the game is practically over. Another deduction.

I must say, I like how they handled this.

Spoiler

Frederica and Roland both leave in the other routes because they just plain can't stand the decision Wolffort makes, and then they order their respective retainers to stay with Wolffort under some... rather vague premise of wanting them to "watch over" Serenoa that reeks of not wanting to screw the player out of an extra unit.

Benedict in this path, upon having some sense knocked into him so he stops throwing a tantrum, seems to end up somewhat reconciling with Serenoa's vision and admitting it's what his parents would've done in his place. He then agrees to stay behind because someone has to look over the people Wolffort's leaving behind to liberate the Roselle. He even has an extra scene after the team leaves where he's seen rallying the Wolffort people, the other two just disappeared until the ending after their departure. His farewell scene with Erador and Anna also feels a lot less forced than the other ones. Neat stuff overall.

...Still fucking hate that I'm losing him. And Frederica sure forgave Roland quickly for suggesting to hand over the world to the oppressors of her people.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

does he just cameo at the start and that's it?

Just a cameo, but you can send him to his death in Inquisition (if he's still a Warden, that is).

4 hours ago, gnip said:

See, that kind of criminal energy would've made her more interesting as a character.

Just wait until you get captured in Denerim

5 hours ago, gnip said:

Also unrelated: Sten mentioned in a recent conversation conversation that the Qunari aren't so much a society with a highly collectivist ethos, they are a society with a highly collectivist ethos enforced by the priest caste by brainwashing educating the children. That... doesn't bode too well for future appearances, especially because he also alluded to plans of the Qunari to invade Ferelden (and by "allude" I mean that he presents it as an inevitable event).

"Highly collectivist" is an understatement