• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimp of the North

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Well, that was... kinda pitiful.

More Peach game footage was good, though. I mean, it's literally the only thing shown that is original and isn't an indie (and thus on PC where I'd actually be interested in getting it).

TTYD HD is nice! Another GameCube RPG classic I'll be buying again.

...But why they'd have to ruin it and throw in that TEC scene at the end? That scene was... off-putting and out-of-place.😑

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh no, not that. I mean the one that's called Hundred Heroes

I know, I just felt like mentioning that too.

I'd argue it's more likely the inspiration was Live a Live

True, more than one multi-hero game on the Super Famicom.

I liked Octopath. Octopath 2 has made me realize it's very likely I wouldn't like Octopath if it came out today.

Oh.

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Kinda a nothing direct lol

I don't disagree. You could "the Switch is winding down b/c Nintendo has to save stuff for the successor". Looks to be pretty chill winter for Nintendo right now.

Still, a new Vanillaware game means there's one more fish in my net than there was before.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't disagree. You could "the Switch is winding down b/c Nintendo has to save stuff for the successor". Looks to be pretty chill winter for Nintendo right now.

"So how do we squeeze a few more pennies out of the playerbase before we force them to buy another 400$ plastic paperweight?"

"Hit them on the nostalgia, obviously. We're Nintendo."

F5_hTVkbMAA8cYr?format=jpg&name=large

F5_hWxOa0AAEvet?format=jpg&name=large

Finally, Vanillaware Fire Emblem.

59 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

She didn't get the movie battle axe, but she did get a sword and the ability to kick things in the face, so that's okay.

There was also a ninja in one of the icons.

38 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

essssssssss Vanillaware! 😁 I still ya even though 13S didn't click. I could tell right away, that aesthetic is unmistakeable. Are you sure you want to return to fantasy so soon after 13S? I thought you might still be tired of going medieval. Doesn't seem like an overly-grandiose project this time? Got anything bigger hidden the works and making this as a filler game?

They did say they were making a new game. This is probably it.

>Vanillaware game same-day release while Falcom continues to be behind.

33 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The problematic part about this amount of content added to MK8 is that when they finally decide to make MK9, they're going to have trouble making it stand out and not feel like MK8 but with a lot less content for another 60 bucks.

Nah, they'll make Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 2.

33 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Kinda a nothing direct lol

First one i can watch live in months and it's so mid.

28 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

I don't think that direct could've spitted on F-Zero's corpse in a funnier way

Wait until they delist it after a year.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

F5_hWxOa0AAEvet?format=jpg&name=large

Finally, Vanillaware Fire Emblem.

Seems more realtime though? Or realtime > grid-based turn-based JRPG battle? (Like the Ogre Battle games I've never played?) The trailer left me a bit confused. Either way, insta-buy for me.

The most important thing though?

Screen-Shot-2023-09-14-at-11-18-49-AM.pn

Return of YUM!😋 

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Nintendo is listening. One day, you will be forced inside a console.

Five Nights at Ninty's

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Now that's a new kink

Ahh, so that's what Observer was getting at yesterday, huh.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Nah, they'll make Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 2.

Jokes aside, it's a big problem. Maybe not so much for Nintendo due to the strength of their brand name, but I'm seeing it happen for someone else: The creators of the Payday series. They added so much shit to Payday 2 over a span of time as long as 10 years, that now they're faced with the insurmountable challenge of making the soon-to-be-released Payday 3 stand a chance with its meager 7 heists. For reference, Payday 2 had 66 heists. In 2020.

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Jokes aside, it's a big problem. Maybe not so much for Nintendo due to the strength of their brand name, but I'm seeing it happen for someone else: The creators of the Payday series. They added so much shit to Payday 2 over a span of time as long as 10 years, that now they're faced with the insurmountable challenge of making the soon-to-be-released Payday 3 stand a chance with its meager 7 heists. For reference, Payday 2 had 66 heists. In 2020.

But also like Mario Kart 8 actually makes too much money. Probably better for them to add to it as opposed to making a brand new game.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's a problem the Civilization series will also be running into. They've milked the mechanics of Civ 6 for all they're work, they need to move on to a new game to make things fresh again. The problem? Doing this will mean going down from 50 civilizations, to like maybe 20 with the next game, and everyone is going to have to buy DLC again to bring that number up again.

Dynasty and Samurai Warriors have this issue too. Dynasty Warriors can't reinvent the gameplay and maintain the gargantuan cast without creating gameplay clones, which makes longtime fans unhappy.

I suppose fighting games run into this issue as well? But then those are built with a multiplayer focus, which in a way forces players to move on.

Unicorn Overlord pic I guess? I can't see twix pics on my Mac, and I don't feel like jumping over to my PC where I somehow can.

I'm reminded that Europa Universalis IV just recently celebrated its 10th anniversary... and the devs still intend on adding more. At this rate EUV gonna be... yeah...

Also, I'm pretty sure CK3 already went, or is still going, through this. As CK2 also spent years with stuff added to it before they finally stopped.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Unicorn Overlord pic I guess?

Yeah. Speaking of, I did rewatch the trailer. It's definitely a strategy RPG but probably not Fire Emblem. I might need a breakdown.

But that's three games that Vanillaware seems to be doing SRPGs with. GrimGrimiore, 13 Sentinels and now Unicorn Overlord (this is a Squeenix HD-2D-ass title tbh). Muramasa, Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown were all 2D action RPGs. Three for three (though the former plays very differently in each game while the latter is somewhat similar) and then there's Grand Knights, the sole traditional turn-based RPG.

Yeah. Speaking of, I did rewatch the trailer. It's definitely a strategy RPG but probably not Fire Emblem. I might need a breakdown.

It doesn't seem like 13S and GG either. Try looking up Ogre Battle or Ogre Battle 64 on YouTube? They look to be source of inspiration?

42 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But also like Mario Kart 8 actually makes too much money. Probably better for them to add to it as opposed to making a brand new game.

I guess at some point they might as well remove the 8 and call it "Mario Kart - This is it, this is what you get." Kind of wish they'd picked a different MK to stick with, honestly - as far as entry-defining mechanics go, anti-gravity was super underwhelming, not to mention underutilized in the DLC lifeline anyway. But now we're not getting another one lol, this is it.

39 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

t's a problem the Civilization series will also be running into. They've milked the mechanics of Civ 6 for all they're work, they need to move on to a new game to make things fresh again. The problem? Doing this will mean going down from 50 civilizations, to like maybe 20 with the next game, and everyone is going to have to buy DLC again to bring that number up again.

Exactly. That's one of the problems arising from how easy and convenient it is to build on existing games nowadays. For certain games and/or genres, it makes the idea of sequels entirely redundant... but at some point, the game's code becomes too messy, the game itself too bloated, or maybe the devs want to try different core mechanics, fix issues that have become clear with the years, introduce a graphical upgrade. And of course, making people pay for another game.

However, if you've perfected the old game too much, making the next game seem worthwhile at launch is going to be almost impossible. People are just going to stay in the old one. It's (partly) why Payday 3 is doomed to failure, and why Blizzard nuked Overwatch 1 to force people into the sequel. Developers end up competing with themselves, and losing.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Was playing more DA:O as Dwarf Commoner the last two days, and returning to Orzammar is indeed very satisfying. Can't believe I had to stab Leske, though. I liked Leske!

But I'm seriously not sure how believable I find his ascention to Jarvia's boy toy. Less than a year ago, he and Heroofferelden killed Jarvia's previous partner in crime (and other things), now she apparently made him her right-hand man? She made a much more vindicative impression on me.

EjAvSe9.jpg

I also can't believe that there's still a dead dwarf in Jarvia's dungeon. It is heavily implied that this is the Dwarf Commoner who didn't manage to break free if you don't play as one!

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It doesn't seem like 13S and GG either. Try looking up Ogre Battle or Ogre Battle 64 on YouTube? They look to be source of inspiration?

Yeah i'm seeing comparisons to Ogre. Now if it will have the funny route shenanigans remains to be seen. That doesn't seem like Vanillaware's MO.

As in, they'll do routes and alternate endings but Tactics Ogre will be like "doing this will set you down this path, you won't know it tho". 

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Kind of wish they'd picked a different MK to stick with, honestly - as far as entry-defining mechanics go, anti-gravity was super underwhelming, not to mention underutilized in the DLC lifeline anyway. But now we're not getting another one lol, this is it.

I mean, what other games have entry-defining mechanics?

• Double Dash? Came out before the age of DLC.
  • Mario Kart Wii? DLC was a thing already but not something Nintendo embraced at the time.
  • Mario Kart 7? Just replaced by Mario Kart 8, which is 7 and Wii combined with anti-grav.